Mike McCarthy Opinion Poll

What is your Opinion of MM

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 6794

Looking outside of just one game, this offense has been far worse than the defense for about the last 16-18 games. Seriously, outside of a few pure luck hail marys, this offense has looked atrocious with one of the best QBs in the game. There is no excuse for that and the best part is that the coach has shown absolutely no indication of doing anything differently. Just the same old thing, over and over and over and over and over and over.........

This is not to excuse Capers. A new head coach needs to be brought in and that will include a new coaching staff.

McCarthy has adjusted the offense over the past few weeks but for some incomprehensible reasons hasn't stuck with it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh and by the way neither one of them have been successful since their last Super Bowl appearance. Their job is to win the Super Bowl. If you're not even getting there you're not successful. I know we live in a world where first and second and third and fourth and fifth and sixth and seventh and eighth and ninth and 10th and 11th and 12th Place all get participation trophies and told how awesome and special you are but you're not unless you're in first place, period end of story.
LOL

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And they are no longer getting the job done. My point about coaching tenure is that it seems like the longer you are with one club and you get more diminishing returns.
or the longer you do something, the more likely you are to go thru some pretty rough times. Guys don't luck their way into a super bowl championship and multiple NFCCG's and division titles and a streak of playoff appearances that is the longest in the league. So like anything else and any relationship or anything worth doing, do it long enough, you'll go thru stuff like this.

D

Deleted member 6794

So like anything else and any relationship or anything worth doing, do it long enough, you'll go thru stuff like this.

The problem being that I don't have the feeling McCarthy being able to get this team back on track.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
or the longer you do something, the more likely you are to go thru some pretty rough times. Guys don't luck their way into a super bowl championship and multiple NFCCG's and division titles and a streak of playoff appearances that is the longest in the league. So like anything else and any relationship or anything worth doing, do it long enough, you'll go thru stuff like this.
So are you saying there is no cause for concern and packer land? Everything is just fine? This is just a blip in the road? Nine and 12 in your last 21 games is not a concern?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking outside of just one game, this offense has been far worse than the defense for about the last 16-18 games. Seriously, outside of a few pure luck hail marys, this offense has looked atrocious with one of the best QBs in the game. There is no excuse for that and the best part is that the coach has shown absolutely no indication of doing anything differently. Just the same old thing, over and over and over and over and over and over.........

This is not to excuse Capers. A new head coach needs to be brought in and that will include a new coaching staff.
I haven't excused the offense for not holding up their part of the bargain at all. In fact yesterday, look at that beginning series. it goes to my point that NOBODY can help a teammate out. A great heads up play by a linebacker recovers an onside kick and gives our offense great starting field position.

what does our offense do with it? our 3 million dollars a game (not sure on actual numbers, but you get my point) can't hit a wide open Cobb in stride for as easy of a 1st down as you'll get in this league to extend the drive and get into at least FG position. He throws it at his feet behind him and we're forced to punt.

not a huge deal except we can't down it at the goal line to help the defense start and instead give them a touchback that amounts to jack in field position so why did we even punt? and to top it all off our leading tackler and starting ILB is injured on a punt that should never have happened. Which then leads right into a simple running play right at our defense that goes 75 yards in 1 play for a TD. NOBODY makes a play for someone else on this team when they need to. They can't do their own job half the time.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So are you saying there is no cause for concern and packer land? Everything is just fine? This is just a blip in the road? Nine and 12 in your last 21 games is not a concern?
that's your take home message? I can see a lot wrong. throw blanket stuff at it and hope it sticks.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem being that I don't have the feeling McCarthy being able to get this team back on track.
it sure doesn't seem like it right about now. I'm not sure if he will either. I know they're not quitting, they just aren't playing well and that mostly seems to be a consistency thing. you have 9 or 10 on the field doing a pretty good job and 1 or 2 is always picking a bad time to have a bad play.

But people don't just luck into the success he's had in this league. he's not perfect, but he's not a blind squirrel either. That notion that he somehow is, is ludicrous.

D

Deleted member 6794

But people don't just luck into the success he's had in this league. he's not perfect, but he's not a blind squirrel either. That notion that he somehow is, is ludicrous.

There's no doubt in my mind McCarthy is a good head coach but it's possible that after 11 seasons his message isn't getting through to the players anymore.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record mondio I never said he locked into anything. I just think he's had his shelf life here in Green Bay it's that simple.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So my thread on whether or not a coach has a shelf life with one team gets merged into an opinion poll on Mike McCarthy? I'm sorry but that is flocking ridiculous. thanks for burying my topic in a six page thread talking about something that I'm not even wanting to talk about.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't McCarthy and Tomlin, be the two longest tenured head coaches after Belicheck? any coincidence that both the Packers and the Steelers are struggling Mightily?

It would Bill Belichick at number 1 - 17 years

Marvin Lewis number 2 - 14 years

MM, Sean Payton, and Tomlin tied for 3 - 11 years

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy has adjusted the offense over the past few weeks but for some incomprehensible reasons hasn't stuck with it.

Yeah, injuries at RB forced him to change. As soon as team gets traditional RB back, McCarthy goes back to the same old thing.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I don't think they want to get rid of MM. If he has lost the team how can he get them back?

1. Go get a legitimate offensive coordinator from the OUTSIDE and let them do their thing.
2. Make 12 submit. I think his ego may very well be the root of this dissention and MM has to take control back from him. If he has to verbally undress him in front of everyone then so be it. He has to do something.
3. Demand that TT start addressing current needs.
4. Figure out what the hell you want to do on offense and do it. Its like he is trying to run every possible style of offense at any given time and it just makes them average or below average at everything. Figure out what you do well and do it .
Going down swinging thinking that the offense is the only problem for this team, I see.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt in my mind McCarthy is a good head coach but it's possible that after 11 seasons his message isn't getting through to the players anymore.
Except that every year a large percentage of those players are new. So... What you are really saying is that he is not getting through to guys like Aaron Rodgers.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You're right. A very good defense won the Packers a Super Bowl and elite offensive talent paved the way to numerous great years....what was the last thing McCarthy did on offense that actually looked like a good move? Other than getting all his running backs injured and being forced to innovate and then scrapping that innovation the moment he got a traditional running back active on the roster?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not convinced McCarthy needs to give up calling the plays again. The team is in need of a different offensive coordinator though.
What was their record when he gave up the play calling duties?
Better?
Worse?
Same?
Or just OK?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
What was their record when he gave up the play calling duties?
Better?
Worse?
Same?
Or just OK?
Not sure if rhetorical or not, but 6-0 first 6 games, 2-4 the next 6 games.

First game McCarthy took back the playcalling was against Dallas in game 13, final score 28-7. I remember Rodgers at the time saying that he didn't think that playcalling was the issue.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if rhetorical or not, but 6-0 first 6 games, 2-4 the next 6 games.

First game McCarthy took back the playcalling was against Dallas in game 13, final score 28-7. I remember Rodgers at the time saying that he didn't think that playcalling was the issue.
Thank you.

8-4.
OK and not bad which is what I thought it was.
And now it is worse.

I agree with A-Rod however it could be an issue now.
Or else maybe A-Rod didn't know what he was talking about since it looks like he doesn't know what he and the team are doing wrong at this time.
Just seems like they don't know what is really wrong, how to fix it and whatever they try either fails or they give up on it.
I'm sure they are trying their best to right the ship but I think it needs to be a more drastic change to get it right.

D

Deleted member 6794

Except that every year a large percentage of those players are new. So... What you are really saying is that he is not getting through to guys like Aaron Rodgers.

Well, the leaders of this team have been around for several years though.

Thank you.

8-4.
OK and not bad which is what I thought it was.
And now it is worse.

The Packers offense averaged only 24.1 points per game with Clements calling the plays which is significantly down from 26.8 over the rest of McCarthy's tenure.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers offense averaged only 24.1 points per game with Clements calling the plays which is significantly down from 26.8 over the rest of McCarthy's tenure.

Do you have the numbers by year? Be interesting to see if it has fallen.

Also how good were the defenses we played with Clements. Such a short period of time.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In case everyone missed the memo today,MM reminded everyone that he is "A highly successful NFL head coach" I tried to give the guy a pass,but these remarks are borderline arrogant and or desperate. Almost like he is letting us know what he has conveyed to the team and they are not listening. ****** me off all the same making those comments after yesterday. I think if it were another organization his time would be over. If someone has to tell you how good they are,deep down they know they aren't that good

Members online

Latest posts