Might as well trade Rodgers....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Would you have given Houston a 2nd round pick and a player for Fuller for half a season? IMO that price was too steep. And just getting a WR wasn't going to get us to the SB.

Let's assume Gute made inquiries to other teams for defensive help but couldn't find a trading partner. Is that his fault too? I am just as frustrated that we couldn't improve the roster but it takes 2 to tango.
People want a move just to make a move

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes that is his fault he's the gm. Is what I would say in a traditional power structure like they had under wolf and TT. It gets a bit more murky where blame lies under the current power structure.

But if what happened was gute wouldn't budge off of a 4th rounder I do blame him. He should of at least tried to offer 3rd as it would of been better than anything the Texans are gonna get for Fuller now by at least 1 pick and more likely a full round.

I never heard anything about and a player?

And the defensive thing was his fault for sure if he called around and found no deals because reasonable deals were made for good defensive players

Db Desmond King 6th round pick
Ilb Kwon alexander conditional 5th round pick & kiko alonso
Ilb avery williamson & 7th round pick for 5th round pick
Olb/de carlos dunlap for ol bj finney & 7th round pick
Olb marcus golden for 6th round pick

But we don't know if Houston would have taken a 3rd. From all the reports I heard they wanted a 2nd and a player. I would have preferred Gutey look defensively.

King would have been nice. I'd rather have him than Kevin King who can't stay on the field.
Alexander would have been a nice pickup but what player should Gutey have offered the 49ers along with the draft pick?
The Steelers gave up 2 picks for Williamson. Perhaps Gutey felt that was too steep?

It is a shame we missed out on these guys but if the team trading the player away decides to work with another GM rather than Gutey - even if we offered a similar deal - should we have offered more? Without actually being there and hearing the discussions we can't know for sure what really happened so it is presumptuous for any of us to criticize. If we ever learn he didn't even pursue any of these players then that is a big dereliction of duty and worthy of criticism!

D

Deleted member 6794

Without actually being there and hearing the discussions we can't know for sure what really happened so it is presumptuous for any of us to criticize. If we ever learn he didn't even pursue any of these players then that is a big dereliction of duty and worthy of criticism!

Gutekunst, like every other GM, should be evaluated based on the transactions he actually made and not the ones he was rumored to be interested in though.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But we don't know if Houston would have taken a 3rd. From all the reports I heard they wanted a 2nd and a player. I would have preferred Gutey look defensively.

King would have been nice. I'd rather have him than Kevin King who can't stay on the field.
Alexander would have been a nice pickup but what player should Gutey have offered the 49ers along with the draft pick?
The Steelers gave up 2 picks for Williamson. Perhaps Gutey felt that was too steep?
It is a shame we missed out on these guys but if the team trading the player away decides to work with another GM rather than Gutey - even if we offered a similar deal - should we have offered more?

I agree we have no clue what really happened...but reports say Packers refuses to offer more than a 4th for Fuller texans wanted a 2nd. That doesn't mean they would or wouldn't have taken a 3rd. That means it wasn't offered, yeah?

We could of offered kirksey idk maybe they would of done it without a player being included in the deal. I guess my point was just several very reasonable deals got done. And yes maybe he should of offered more than another gm for say desmond king I'd have given up a 5th...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If the Texans demanded a 2nd at minimum, and the Packers wouldn't do it for a rental, I think that's fine..

If the Packers weren't willing to offer more than a 4th for a player of Fuller's caliber, then I don't think they were all that serious about pursuing WR help. I would think a 3rd would practically be a no brainer, given that Fuller could bring a 3rd back in a comp pick, or at a minimum, a 4th.

But we just don't know.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Texans demanded a 2nd at minimum, and the Packers wouldn't do it for a rental, I think that's fine..

If the Packers weren't willing to offer more than a 4th for a player of Fuller's caliber, then I don't think they were all that serious about pursuing WR help. I would think a 3rd would practically be a no brainer, given that Fuller could bring a 3rd back in a comp pick, or at a minimum, a 4th.

But we just don't know.

What we do know... 77 yards to the house touchdown

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I just hope they offered a 3rd because if they didn't I've got no confidence in them...

Either Gute and his staff are the right guys are they’re not. Whether they offered a 3rd or not isn’t the difference.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don’t believe I said otherwise, so I’m really not sure what point you’re trying to make here.

The point being that it seems a lot of Packers fan are content with Gutekunst trying to improve the roster.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point being that it seems a lot of Packers fan are content with Gutekunst trying to improve the roster.
as opposed to those that think because 2nd rounders aren't given up for rental players that may or may not make any difference at all and could quite possibly cost the future services of a player like BakhT or Jones because he's happy just making playoffs and not winning championships? I'll take the former label.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The problem is that there are a lot of fans up in their feelings who want to believe that inside 1265 Lombardi there's a control panel with an easy button on it that says "fix all the problems," and that Gutekunst is just sitting in front of it with his arms crossed and won't push it.

Gutekunst may be the right man for the GM job, or he might be the wrong man for the GM job. But that will be proven over time. We do not know what his options really were, we don't know what he offered, we don't know the long term implications. That is not a defense and it's not a criticism. It's just a reality.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Literally all I was saying is that it seems silly to say Gute was content with the roster when we know he was trying to improve it. Like, we absolutely know he’s not content with the roster. Your point has nothing to do with what I think or said.

D

Deleted member 6794

as opposed to those that think because 2nd rounders aren't given up for rental players that may or may not make any difference at all and could quite possibly cost the future services of a player like BakhT or Jones because he's happy just making playoffs and not winning championships? I'll take the former label.

Just to be clear about it, I would have not been in favor of giving up a second rounder for Fuller on top of paying him more than $5 million for the rest of the season.

Literally all I was saying is that it seems silly to say Gute was content with the roster when we know he was trying to improve it. Like, we absolutely know he’s not content with the roster. Your point has nothing to do with what I think or said.

It doesn't matter if Gutekunst is content with the roster or not as long as he doesn't actually make a move to improve it.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are we discussing the trade deadline? Sure, another WR or some help stopping the run would have been great. However we all know that it is hard to get a nice trade deal going, especially given the uncertainty of the cap for next year. I wont fault Gute for not making a move.

That brings me to the draft... There were some amazing WR's for the taking. Then we trade up, not for Patrick Queen (a player considered to be a top 15 pick by many and at a HUGE position of need for us), but for a backup QB.. Second round and third round goes and we have not improved are starting lineups for ONE bit. We could have easily been in the position where by the trade deadline, we would be one run stuffing DL man away from being a complete team. For crying out loud, the Seahawks signed Snacks to a 200k contract in Oct. Sure, he is old, but my lord try something.

Every year it's the same, it's blatantly obvious that we are a few players away and instead of actually pursuing low risk options to improve the remaining weak links we just roll the dice and get spanked in the playoffs smh

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People want a move just to make a move

If he left, the deal he would have signed would have gotten the Packers a 3rd round comp pick. You HAVE to include that in the analysis. I absolutely wouldn't have minded moving back 32 spots in the draft for, hopefully, 11 games this year and a MUCH better shot at a Super Bowl. And for those who want to cite Robby Anderson only being worth a 4th round comp pick because of his contract, I would guess that Aaron Rodgers would have made Fuller look REALLY good compared to what Watson does with him and a deal that averaged about $11m per year would be good for a 3rd round comp pick (the Anderson deal was only 11 points off being a 3rd round comp pick).

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he left, the deal he would have signed would have gotten the Packers a 3rd round comp pick. You HAVE to include that in the analysis. I absolutely wouldn't have minded moving back 32 spots in the draft for, hopefully, 11 games this year and a MUCH better shot at a Super Bowl. And for those who want to cite Robby Anderson only being worth a 4th round comp pick because of his contract, I would guess that Aaron Rodgers would have made Fuller look REALLY good compared to what Watson does with him and a deal that averaged about $11m per year would be good for a 3rd round comp pick (the Anderson deal was only 11 points off being a 3rd round comp pick).

I won't touch on anything else you said but holy hell I couldn't pass this by.

You do understand Watson is in all likelihood a top 5 QB in his own right, has existing chemistry with Fuller who wouldn't be learning a new playbook and scheme on the fly over 8 games right?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem is that there are a lot of fans up in their feelings who want to believe that inside 1265 Lombardi there's a control panel with an easy button on it that says "fix all the problems," and that Gutekunst is just sitting in front of it with his arms crossed and won't push it.

Gutekunst may be the right man for the GM job, or he might be the wrong man for the GM job. But that will be proven over time. We do not know what his options really were, we don't know what he offered, we don't know the long term implications. That is not a defense and it's not a criticism. It's just a reality.
Yes, but reality doesn’t always play well here. :cool:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

After this draft, even if Gute really had a "fix all problems" button, I don't trust him to push that anymore.

We were played ahead of our capabilities last season. The team, the fans, the pundits were incredibly all aligned in need for LB and WR....and it's just incredibly frustrating that we have not strengthened the team at all!

We've effectively traded a high % probability for SB this year for a low % probability of future SB...which imo incredibly stupid irrespective of how Love turns out. If we are not in SB this year, the only person to blame for that is Gute.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
After this draft, even if Gute really had a "fix all problems" button, I don't trust him to push that anymore.

We were played ahead of our capabilities last season. The team, the fans, the pundits were incredibly all aligned in need for LB and WR....and it's just incredibly frustrating that we have not strengthened the team at all!

We've effectively traded a high % probability for SB this year for a low % probability of future SB...which imo incredibly stupid irrespective of how Love turns out. If we are not in SB this year, the only person to blame for that is Gute.

The notion that the 30th overall pick is the difference between a high % shot at a Super Bowl and a low % shot at a Super Bowl is absurd.

I also find it funny how many people are so insistent that the 2019 Packers played ahead of their capabilities when they are currently 6-2 with the second best scoring differential in the NFC. At a certain point, people still upset about the draft are going to have to accept that the Packers are good.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The notion that the 30th overall pick is the difference between a high % shot at a Super Bowl and a low % shot at a Super Bowl is absurd.

We didn't need a primary game changer player....just a supporting #2 player who can give us that slight push from where we were before. A couple of good LBs and WRs were on the board who could have give us that. If there ever was a draft for us to be aggressive, 2020 was it.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We didn't need a primary game changer player....just a supporting #2 player who can give us that slight push from where we were before. A couple of good LBs and WRs were on the board who could have give us that. If there ever was a draft for us to be aggressive, 2020 was it.

So who would you have taken at the original draft spot, without the benefit of hindsight?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I also find it funny how many people are so insistent that the 2019 Packers played ahead of their capabilities when they are currently 6-2 with the second best scoring differential in the NFC. At a certain point, people still upset about the draft are going to have to accept that the Packers are good.

Nope. They’ve just beaten up on bad teams. No talent at all.

I mean, sure, the OL is fantastic. The RB’s are as good as you could ask for. The best WR in the league. But that’s it! I don’t know why you would think *that* collection of players is good. What a waste.

Members online

Latest posts