Midseason Assessment

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The slew of injuries Sunday, and the continued uncertainty with Bakh are the last nails in this season's coffin.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will MFL have the guts to bench Rodgers and see what Love can do? It would mean a lot of salary sitting on the bench but playing Rodgers in meaningless games makes little sense. The season is over so why not treat them like the preseason games that they are? I wouldn't hold my breath on that. The new Packer President after Murphy retires will have some big decisions to make right off the bat. I think to be fair, the front office should give veterens a break on their incentive clauses if they are benched for purposes to see what the back ups can do.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will MFL have the guts to bench Rodgers and see what Love can do? It would mean a lot of salary sitting on the bench but playing Rodgers in meaningless games makes little sense. The season is over so why not treat them like the preseason games that they are? I wouldn't hold my breath on that. The new Packer President after Murphy retires will have some big decisions to make right off the bat. I think to be fair, the front office should give veterens a break on their incentive clauses if they are benched for purposes to see what the back ups can do.

Why would MLF not just play the best players to try and win games? Sure, playing Love will help Gute determine just how awful his 2020 draft was, but that's not MLF's job.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would MLF not just play the best players to try and win games? Sure, playing Love will help Gute determine just how awful his 2020 draft was, but that's not MLF's job.
I see your point but I would hope making decisions to help the team potentially win in the future is more important than trying to win a few meaningless games and hurt their draft position. If MFL thinks his neck is on the block he'll no doubt be only looking at very short term goals.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will need to take a decision on if to exercise the fifth year option on Love in May. I highly doubt they will get a look at him before that.
Love will definitely get action this season even if we are playing spoiler. Once you are eliminated it becomes preseason again.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will need to take a decision on if to exercise the fifth year option on Love in May. I highly doubt they will get a look at him before that.

So you think if Packers are eliminated from playoffs with three weeks left let’s say, Love won’t start any of those???

Reaction score
It’s just my opinion but I think something wasn’t right with #12.
It wasn’t like him to miss all those throws. All QB’s have bad days, but there’s more to it than that.

In the past he has similarly done this before when he’s had a newer stable of Receivers. I’ve never seen his concentration and demeanor so off kilter though. Even in interviews he’s almost got a sad mixed with a sentimental demeanor, which isn’t really his personality. Might be something in his personal life idk, but he’s not acting like himself

I’m wondering if he’s contemplating hanging up the cleats or leaving etc.. He’s also being way too nice talking about Gute, which isn’t like him. :laugh:

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
You know what stinks? This season is over and I want to talk football. Problem is, I don't have anything good to say. This season is a train wreck and that is hard to clean up after. I think it is time to start looking at the draft.

Reaction score
It’s selfish, but I actually want to see Love get some valuable playing time soon. I’d like to see him play a few complete games in a row with our A team before this season is out

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This season is a train wreck and that is hard to clean up after. I think it is time to start looking at the draft.
We'll probably win just enough games to keep us from getting an elite player in the draft.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what stinks? This season is over and I want to talk football. Problem is, I don't have anything good to say. This season is a train wreck and that is hard to clean up after. I think it is time to start looking at the draft.
Agree 100%. Lots of holes to fill. Maybe just maybe the Packers can draft a WR. Wouldn't break my heart to see an OLB or OT in round 1. I don't see Gute, MFL and Murphy admitting Love was a mistake and going with a qb in round 1.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of where we end up picking, I see OL, Edge, DL all on higher priority than WT will be again next year.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of where we end up picking, I see OL, Edge, DL all on higher priority than WT will be again next year.

Uhm, have you seen the receiver group? I’ve seen nothing to indicate that the Packers will have a viable #1 receiver next season; the oline at least has good pieces in most places, ED looks decent at the top 3, and, well DL is always bad but they just spent a first on DL this year. WR or TE needs major help to actually field a real, professional level offense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uhm, have you seen the receiver group? I’ve seen nothing to indicate that the Packers will have a viable #1 receiver next season; the oline at least has good pieces in most places, ED looks decent at the top 3, and, well DL is always bad but they just spent a first on DL this year. WR or TE needs major help to actually field a real, professional level offense.
Yeah, I have. I’ve also seen our oline play, our run D and who’s coming back and Preston might be gone, Gary is coming off injury and you need 3 edge guys and we’ll potentially have 1

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I have. I’ve also seen our oline play, our run D and who’s coming back and Preston might be gone, Gary is coming off injury and you need 3 edge guys and we’ll potentially have 1

Soooo, just run back this sh!tty offense? Packers have enough first/second round picks on defense, what makes anyone think adding another will help? As for the oline, they’re good pass blockers and passing is how you win in the modern NFL.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We see our oline situation differently. I don’t care what our wr situation is if our oline sucks and I have a chance at a 1st round premium tackle or WR, I’m taking tackle every single time.

We’re far from set at oline, olb or DL next year and all 3 are more important to winning football games than a 1st round WR

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We see our oline situation differently. I don’t care what our wr situation is if our oline sucks and I have a chance at a 1st round premium tackle or WR, I’m taking tackle every single time.

We’re far from set at oline, olb or DL next year and all 3 are more important to winning football games than a 1st round WR
I think the past few years have shown the whole league some things. That L tackle is not all that more important than R tackle and that guards and centers are very important also. The old way of thinking that a center is not very important and the L tackle is so much more important than the rest of the line is just not true. And for me at least, you should not make any lineman the highest paid lineman unless he blocks as well as he pass protects.

D

Deleted member 6794

The season is over so why not treat them like the preseason games that they are?

The Packers still have a theoretical chance to make the playoffs.

Love will definitely get action this season even if we are playing spoiler. Once you are eliminated it becomes preseason again.

Once the Packers are eliminated I'm fine with them starting Love.

So you think if Packers are eliminated from playoffs with three weeks left let’s say, Love won’t start any of those???

As mentioned above I would prefer the Packers to start Love once they're eliminated from playoff contention. Do you honestly believe three games (or how many end up being played afterwards) are enough to fairly evaluate him to make a decision on exercising the fifth year option though???

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
We'll probably win just enough games to keep us from getting an elite player in the draft.
Man, I don't know about that. The schedule only gets harder and they just lost to the worst team in the league. At the very least, only scored 9 points against the worst defense in the league. It would not surprise me if they lost out and that includes the Bears.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As mentioned above I would prefer the Packers to start Love once they're eliminated from playoff contention. Do you honestly believe three games (or how many end up being played afterwards) are enough to fairly evaluate him to make a decision on exercising the fifth year option though???

We aren't in a typical situation with a rookie contract QB - most organizations see a first rounder play by their second season or third...in the world we live I'll take three games over none any day to know. I fear that is a coin flip decision which yet again could be a costly one for the organization...don't pick it up and Love turns into something elsewhere folks will be PISSED, pick it up and like Savage he flops....folks will be PISSED.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't disagree that we'll be needing to add a WR (multiple, really) but I also wouldn't expect it to happen given our other needs. For better or for worse (for worse, at the moment) our FO does not value the WR position as highly as other teams do and I'm pretty confident if they've been unwilling to expend premium draft capital on a weapon for Rodgers then I suspect they won't suddenly about-face for Love (or whoever it may be)

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers desperately need a deep threat. That makes expending a round one pick on a WR even more imperative. I like Doubs, but he's more of a James Jones type of receiver. What we need is another Jordy Nelson in his prime type of receiver who gets open on deep routes and takes it to the house!

Members online

Latest posts