Michael Vick Apologists

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always hated this guy.

"I believe Vick had a passion for dogfighting. I know many athletes who share his passion. The allure is the intensity and the challenge of a dogfighting to the death. It's like ultimate fighting, but the dog doesn't tap out when he knows he can't win."

-- Deion Sanders, in a column for the Fort Myers News-Press.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Yep... but the NFL put the smack down on this walking megaphone of a person... Sanders seems to open his mouth before thinking about what he is about to say...

Guy does alot of nice things for needy kids and other charity work... but sometimes the gums flap faster than the mind.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont think he is apologizing at all?????? He said he believes Vick had a passion for it..

As the article says he should come forward and give names if he knows others are doing it, and of course dog fighting isnt like wearing jewelery..

but I dont see him making any excuses for Vick..

Here is the entrie quote...

The most exciting player in the history of the Atlanta Falcons wrote an op-ed in the Southwest Florida News-Press about the second-most exciting player in the history of the Atlanta Falcons. And Deion Sanders had some interesting -- and bizarre -- things to say about Michael Vick.

Check out Pro Football Talk for a good rundown of everything Sanders wrote, but I'll focus on just one passage:

I believe Vick had a passion for dogfighting. I know many athletes who share his passion. The allure is the intensity and the challenge of a dog fighting to the death. It's like ultimate fighting, but the dog doesn't tap out when he knows he can't win.

It reminds me of when I wore a lot of jewelry back in the day because I always wanted to have the biggest chain or the biggest, baddest car. It gives you status.

First of all, it's interesting that Sanders says he believes Vick was involved in dog fighting. Almost every athlete and former athlete who has commented on the case has refused to state, point blank, that he believes Vick takes part in the cruel, barbaric and illegal activity. Sanders is an exception in that regard.

But secondly, dog fighting is a felony. If Sanders knows "many athletes" who have a passion for committing this felony, he should actively work with law enforcement agencies to help them prevent this felony from being committed. And he should stop suggesting that forcing dogs to maul each other to death is similar to wearing a lot of jewelry.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
an apolgist is one who offers a defense of something controversial. example, in the early days of Christianity, before it was the state religion of the Roman empire, many Christians were persecuted for their beliefs. This led some of the more charismatic and daring Christians to write arguments for Christianity. they were called the apologists. so yes, Sanders is defending Vick, not apologizing for him.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The old "Lots of people are doing it, so it MUST be right" defense. I saw some woman on TV trying to defend dog fighting. They had her face blacked out. She was saying the dogs were raised to do this, so it's ok.
She seemed to be the type that would try to justify anything wrong.
"Hey, the children we raise were raised to be abused, so it's ok". Thats the kind of scumbag she came across as to me.
Maybe some big names will come out of this, and hopefully they can take a real "bite" out of dog fighting.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and maybe this sad situation will help shed some light on this underground activity, moving normal people like all of us to do something to stop it. maybe michael vick is just what the doctor ordered to bring dogfighting into the spotlight and show just how sick and widespread it is.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't even know that kind of crap was going on in this country........now i know better. I hope they nail these scumbags.

OP
OP
T

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
an apolgist is one who offers a defense of something controversial.

Don't want to get into a discussion over semantics, but that seems to me exactly what Sanders is doing, though only impliedly. He's saying what Vick did is okay because others share the same love of the "sport".

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

Don't want to get into a discussion over semantics, but that seems to me exactly what Sanders is doing, though only impliedly. He's saying what Vick did is okay because others share the same love of the "sport".

that is what sanders is doing. Longtimefan posted that it didn't seem like sanders was apologizing for vick, but rather defending him. that poster, i believe, misunderstood what an apologist is, so i pointed it out. sanders is defending vick, so one could say he is a "vick apologist"

OP
OP
T

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
bozz_2006 said:

that is what sanders is doing. Longtimefan posted that it didn't seem like sanders was apologizing for vick, but rather defending him. that poster, i believe, misunderstood what an apologist is, so i pointed it out. sanders is defending vick, so one could say he is a "vick apologist"

I get it. It's never a good idea to start out a week hung over.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
bozz_2006 said:

I never said I thought Deon was DEFENDING him at all

I did not read into the quote like you guys did

I saw a quote from a famous althlete

I believe Vick had a passion for dogfighting. I know many athletes who share his passion. The allure is the intensity and the challenge of a dog fighting to the death.

1)To me that is saying Deon knows lot of athletes are doing this

2)Also is saying to me, Dean thinks Vick is quilty

3)It did not come across to me as; Deon thinks its okay for Vick to do it, cuz others are doing it

4) Deon should come forward to say who he knows that does this

So again I do not see it as Deon coming to Vicks "Rescue" and the OP of the article says basicly the same thing..

Almost every athlete and former athlete who has commented on the case has refused to state, point blank, that he believes Vick takes part in the cruel, barbaric and illegal activity. Sanders is an exception in that regard.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry Longtime. I saw your post saying, " dont think he is apologizing at all" and thought you misunderstood the thread title. I apologize for being so presumptuous. and for the record, i agree with everything you said!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Sorry Longtime. I saw your post saying, " dont think he is apologizing at all" and thought you misunderstood the thread title. I apologize for being so presumptuous. and for the record, i agree with everything you said!

Its okay!!!

Sometimes on here you cant get your true meaning behind your words across..

Unlike Trom we all know he wants stalkers, :p

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

"I believe Vick had a passion for dogfighting. I know many athletes who share his passion. The allure is the intensity and the challenge of a dogfighting to the death. It's like ultimate fighting, but the dog doesn't tap out when he knows he can't win."

OP
OP
T

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the actual full text from Deion's article. Read it and tell me you don't think he's making excuses for Ronnie M.

"I would’ve never thought Mike Vick, one of the NFL’s most exciting players — the man who makes the network execs smile every time he plays — would ever be indicted for crimes against man’s best friend.

The potential impact could be devastating.

He could lose millions worth of endorsements. Nike has already suspended the release of his new shoe. He could lose millions he was supposed to get from the Atlanta Falcons, if the club decides to cut him. That’s unlikely, but it could happen if he’s convicted or makes a plea arrangement.

Or his reputation might wind up so stained that he’s never forgiven in the court of public opinion. That would be too bad for the 27-year-old superstar.

This is all the result of perspective.

What a dog means to Vick might be a lot different than what he means to you or I. Hold on, don’t start shaking your head just yet. Listen to me.

Some people kiss their dogs on the mouth. Some people let their dogs eat from their plate. Some people dress their dogs in suits more expensive than mine, if you can believe that.

And some people enjoy proving they have the biggest, toughest dog on the street. You’re probably not going to believe this, but I bet Vick loves the dogs that were the biggest and the baddest. Maybe, he identified with them in some way.

You can still choose to condemn him, but I’m trying to take you inside his mind so you can understand where he might be coming from.

I’m sure all of the animal activists and Humane Society folks have a dart board with Vick’s picture in the center of it. And if he plays this season, PETA is going to picket every stadium where he plays.

Still, I must ask the question: Where is all of this going?

By now you’ve read all of the accusations about the cruelty involving the dogs — and I’m not just talking about their duels to the death. All of that is enough to make me cringe because I have three highly-trained protection German shepherds, just in case someone wants to rob my family.

Believe me, you don’t want to deal with them. With one German command, our dog Yascho turns into Cujo. And for the record, I live around the corner from the police station, so it won’t take them long to show up and save you from the dogs.

Now back to Vick.

Why are we indicting him? Was he the ringleader? Is he the big fish? Or is there someone else? The fights allegedly occurred at a property that he purchased for a family member. They apparently found carcasses on the property, but I must ask you again, is he the ringleader?

This situation reminds me of a scene in the movie “New Jack City,” when drug dealer Nino Brown is on the witness stand and eloquently says, “This thing is bigger than me.”

Are we using Vick to get to the ringleader? Are we using him to bring an end to dogfighting in the United States?

The only thing I can gather from this situation is that we’re using Vick.

Was he wrong? Absolutely. Was he stupid? Can’t argue with that. Was he immature? No doubt. But is he the ringleader? I just can’t see it.

I believe Vick had a passion for dogfighting. I know many athletes who share his passion. The allure is the intensity and the challenge of a dog fighting to the death. It’s like ultimate fighting, but the dog doesn’t tap out when he knows he can’t win.

It reminds me of when I wore a lot of jewelry back in the day because I always wanted to have the biggest chain or the biggest, baddest car. It gives you status.

Can I pause for a moment to ask you a question?

Who shot Darrant Williams? Remember the Denver Bronco cornerback? I’m just more concerned about bringing to justice someone who killed a human. Or finding out who broke into Miami Heat forward Antoine Walker’s home, tied him up and robbed him at gunpoint.

We’re attacking this dogfighting ring the same way a teenager attacks his MySpace page after school (by the way parents, make sure you monitor your kids). We should have the same passion for man that we have for man’s best friend.

The reason this is turning into a three-ring circus is that baseball is boring, basketball is months away, football is around the corner and we in the media don’t have a thing interesting to write about.

How will this end up? I have no idea. All I know is Falcons fans better pray because Vick’s backup is Joey Harrington. Enough said.

God bless and God willing I’ll hollah at you next week."

Good God what a moron.

Pack93z

Reaction score
The NFL thinks that Deon is treading on dangerous water here and that is why they stopped is rebuttal to all the people who wrote in ripping Deon.

I think Deion is trying to state that there is a bigger problem than just Vick, and Vick shouldn't be carrying the entire load of guilt by himself. **edit** Deion just stated it poorly in my opinion and seems to defend Vick.

The problem the NFL has with this is that it exposes more PR damage for the league and I bet every penny I have; that the NFL has security running through every players personnel life that might even be related to Dog fighting.

The NFL sees the PR storm a comming I think and they are shaking. As they should be!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think Deon is trying to state that there is a bigger problem than just Vick, and Vick shouldn't be carrying the entire load of guilt by himself. Vick just stated it poorly in my opinion and seems to defend Vick.

What? lol

Did ya mean Deion ..... defend Vick?

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What a POS.

This is pathetic as condoning drug trafficking by saying "everyone uses, and if they didn't buy it off me, they'd just buy it off someone else." After all, dope dealing gives you status in the ghetto too, doesn't it? :roll:

The NFL should form an Inquisition to investigate into the "hobbies" of these ***holes, and start cleaning house.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

Pack93z

Reaction score
Pack93z said:
I think Deon is trying to state that there is a bigger problem than just Vick, and Vick shouldn't be carrying the entire load of guilt by himself. Vick just stated it poorly in my opinion and seems to defend Vick.

What? lol

Did ya mean Deion ..... defend Vick?

Yeah.. I guess I put on too many Vicks in there huh... :rotflmao:

That is what I get for trying to write comments and code at the same time... flippin work :thumbsup:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts