Merged: Nelson signed, was reportedly asking for $10M a year

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Green and Gold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He said that, yes. He probably actually feels that way, too. But that doesn't really matter. His agent still needs to get paid, and more importantly the NFLPA isn't going to let him sign for less than he's worth.

It's also worth noting that this is just negotiations. Saying he want's 10 per doesn't necessarily mean he expects or will ultimately receive that.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see Indy, New England, Cleveland or even Houston not having a problem at all giving Jordy that type if money if he hit the open market. Hopefully we can ink him before the season starts. If He doesn't resign and Adams or Abby have a greAt yr he's as good as gone and they will invest in the younger Cobb.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I completely understand the thoughts of the people who believe that Jordy is not worth 10 million a year, some of the thought reasoning is rather faulty. The whole "he has Aaron Rodgers throwing him the ball" mentality is extremely short sighted. Yes, Arod is awesome and makes wide receivers look better than they are, there is no question about it. But that works both ways. Chemistry between a QB and receiver is equally important and cannot be understated. Jordy also makes Arod look a little better too, not a lot, but definitely a little. Jordy's body control on the sidelines is absolutely ridiculous. It is better than any receiver in the NFL at this time. Jordy also makes Cobb, Jones, Boykin, and now hopefully Adams and Abbrederis, look better than they are. Jordy being the go to guy, the guy who finds the open hole, the guy who makes ridiculous acrobatic catches, takes attention away from the rest of the receiver group allowing them to more easily find holes in the zone and beat their man one on one without over the top help because the safety is shading Jordy's direction.

Letting Jordy go because of an unwillingness to pay him 10 million a year would be a very bad mistake on the Packers part. It would by no means terribly cripple the team, it would however make the team take a further step back from where they are now and the Packers do not need to be taking a step back at this point in Arod's career. 3 years of his prime have already been completely wasted by a horrible defense & lack of a running game. Taking away his most steady and reliable weapon will not make the Packers better, it will make them worse. People need to get over this whole because we have Arod the Packers can do anything mentality because it simply is not true, football is a team sport, if all it took in football was a top tier QB to win Super Bowls, than no one but Arod, Manning (the good one, not the ****** one who somehow lucked into 2 superbowl wins), Brees, and Brady would have won Super Bowls in the past 10 years.

Bottom line is IF it takes the Packers 10 million to sign him, then they need to do so or another couple years of our chance to win a Superbowl will be out the window and pretty soon we will be looking at 35 years of Hall Fame QB play being completely wasted with a lousy 2 super bowl wins to show for it.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Welp, it's been fun, but you're over 30, and we don't have that money, so goodbye, good luck, and don't stay in the NFC North. At least we still have Cobb.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Welp, it's been fun, but you're over 30, and we don't have that money, so goodbye, good luck, and don't stay in the NFC North. At least we still have Cobb.
• Not only is he not "over 30", his thirtieth birthday won't happen until next off season. Over 30 will happen on May31, 2016.
• The Packers do have the money and cap room.
• He's not going anywhere.
• Welp? Perhaps you need another :coffee:?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He said that, yes. He probably actually feels that way, too. But that doesn't really matter. His agent still needs to get paid, and more importantly the NFLPA isn't going to let him sign for less than he's worth.

It's also worth noting that this is just negotiations. Saying he want's 10 per doesn't necessarily mean he expects or will ultimately receive that.
The NFLPA has no say in the matter. I don't think Jordy is the sort that would allow his agent to call the shots either.

The ball is entirely in Jordy's court.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's absurd to think that Cobb would get the same money as Nelson at this point in his career. Yes, he has multiple talents but he has yet to produce a $10M season. He had a great rookie season and then injury. Even with a good season this year he wouldn't be there. If he turns in an exceptional season he would get close to warranting that kind of money. Cobb would be smart to play out his fourth year and in order to set the market with a dynamic season in 2015. Then he could conceivably be worth that much.

Nelson is worth $8-$10M right now, especially to this team. We have the money so let's just work out the best deal possible for everyone.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT offered Jennings similar money didn't he? I'm not opposed to spending that kind of money, but I think if Bostick, Adams, Abbredaris or Janis makes an impact this year I'm afraid Jordi is gone unless he accepts less money. Jennings proved how important the QB is to a receiver. I agree with Allouez about spending big money on a linebacker or defensive back.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
8 mil max. He'll take it. He'll want to play for a winner and to continue to play with Rodgers. He's not a greedy f@#% like Jennings.

Why is getting a contract commensurate with your skill level considered being greedy? Wide receivers of his skill level are paid around $10m+ per year, why should Nelson have to take a pay cut when the team can obviously afford to pay him?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure I understand all those saying we have a ton of talent waiting in the wings. We have Cobb as a proven WR and that's it, not to mention that Cobb is going to get a new deal as well, one that could cost close to $8m/yr. Honestly, I'd rather have Nelson at $10m/yr than Cobb at $7m/yr. I've said before that there's a lot of merit to only re-signing one of the two because Rodgers is a great QB and Thompson is pretty good at finding wide receivers in the draft. However, that doesn't mean that you don't pay your obvious #1 WR a fair contract and hope that Randall Cobb, who hasn't started all that many games for the Packers, can handle being the #1 wide receiver on a full time basis. The vast majority of the time, it takes a few years for a wide receiver to put together a good season and counting on Adams to blossom into a great outside WR in only two years is unrealistic.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy was grossly UNDERpaid on his last contract, but when he signed it he was the #3 working his way up. He's currently a high-production #1 WR consistently outperforming his contract, yet he shows-up and plays his heart out. Cobb can't do what Nelson does, and at this point nobody on the Packer's roster comes close. Boykin is NOT a #1... he's a decent #3 guy with 4.69 40 speed. He'll NEVER be a #1 guy.

Cobb might become one, but at only 5'-10", 192 lbs. relies on quickness and smarts rather than blazing downfield speed (4.46).

A proven, solid #1 WR in the NFL is worth $9+Mil/year... and someone will pay Nelson if TT doesn't want to. There are potential WR replacements in camp but TT won't know what he has until Sept. or October at the earliest. Nelson's price may go UP in that time, not necessarily down.

I'm "OK" with a 4 yr/$38Mil with $14Mil guaranteed ~ that would put him #9 on the highest-paid-WR list and above Greg Jennings. Nelson (IMHO) is better than a few guys that are higher on that list (Bowe & Wallace) but they're over-paid.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't think anyone will call Jordy Nelson greedy as that is simply not the case. He is trying to get paid the most which of course is what he should do. I really don't think he will get offered 10 mill plus a year by TT. TT didn't even make Jones an offer and Jones is 30. I know Jones isn't the same receiver as Nelson, but Nelson is 29. Boykin is also set to become a restricted free agent in 2015. I think Jordy's agent is just throwing this 10 mill plus number out for negotiation purposes.

Cobb is only 23 years old and as much as I like Jordy, Cobb is simply going to be harder to replace. As someone else on here posted I would much rather see them use the money on defense then overpaying Nelson.

I don't think the offense would regress a bit with Aaron Rodgers as our QB. People thought the offense was going to regress a bit when Jennings left and Driver retired. Almost every team in this league has an elite or near elite receiver nowadays. What they don't have is a QB at that same level but a handful of teams. I think Jordy's career would regress if anything if he left. Go ask Gregg Jennings how things have been going for him since he bolted.

If Nelson is head strong on this 10 mill plus number then let him go. At least we get one more year out of him in a contract year for a super bowl run as he approaches 30.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Not sure I understand all those saying we have a ton of talent waiting in the wings. We have Cobb as a proven WR and that's it, not to mention that Cobb is going to get a new deal as well, one that could cost close to $8m/yr. Honestly, I'd rather have Nelson at $10m/yr than Cobb at $7m/yr. I've said before that there's a lot of merit to only re-signing one of the two because Rodgers is a great QB and Thompson is pretty good at finding wide receivers in the draft. However, that doesn't mean that you don't pay your obvious #1 WR a fair contract and hope that Randall Cobb, who hasn't started all that many games for the Packers, can handle being the #1 wide receiver on a full time basis. The vast majority of the time, it takes a few years for a wide receiver to put together a good season and counting on Adams to blossom into a great outside WR in only two years is unrealistic.

IMO Adams is going to surprise a lot of people how quickly he becomes good to great.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO Adams is going to surprise a lot of people how quickly he becomes good to great.

I certainly hope so, Thompson doesn't draft guys in the first two rounds thinking they'll take a while to develop but that doesn't mean you should plan with 100% certainty that those guys will be great. Let's remember that it wasn't until Jordy's 4th season that he really put together a good year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Just to clear up some apparent confusion:
Jordy Nelson was born May 31, 1985. That means he just turned 29 years old. On May 31, 2015 he will turn 30 years old. On May 31, 2016 he will turn 31 years old. Etcetera.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I certainly hope so, Thompson doesn't draft guys in the first two rounds thinking they'll take a while to develop but that doesn't mean you should plan with 100% certainty that those guys will be great. Let's remember that it wasn't until Jordy's 4th season that he really put together a good year.

Every receiver develops differently in the NFL and there are many factors. Cobb had a solid rookie season and broke out his second year. IMO Adams is much farther along then both Cobb and Jordy was when they came into the league.

I know it's hard to potentially say good bye to Jordy Nelson. I had a hard time when they let Jones go but it's just something that is going to happen with the salary cap and in today's NFL.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But that is what a GM must do. Many fans demand a draft for immediate perceived need while a GM is always thinking not only this season but the next few as well. There are no guarantees, but you have to look at the talent on the team now and realize that WR is looking pretty strong down the road. To resign Jordy, TT is looking to the 2015 season already. Cobb is very good and Adams will likely be pretty strong as a rookie and reliable as a sophmore. Boykin gets better each season and will likely be good this year. Harper and Abberis are questionable, but one of the two will likely be good by 2015. Janis and Dorsey are both bigger question marks but have potential. Maybe a few years down the road. Miles White is not as big a question, but is a possibility. TT doesnt have to make a decision now, as 2014 plays out the answers on the young pups will be more clear and the 'need' to resign Nelson may become more or less imperative.

Not all of these guys will work out but several of them well to one level or another. People were concerned when we lost Jennings, Driver, and others, but we always seem to have a few more in the hopper and I think now is no different. Think about it - if we had signed Jennings, what would that have done to the development of Cobb or Boykin or . . ?

Looks to me like we have some very good depth there. I hope we can keep Jordy, and my gut tells me he will sign a below market contract to stay here. But I don't think we will miss his production too much if he leaves.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...But I don't think we will miss his production too much if he leaves.
TT generally does very well in allowing FA to leave when he foresees their production not-worthy of their contract desires, but he does "miss" on occasion. To this day many Packer fans are still wishing TT had paid Cullen Jenkins and/or Scott Wells, as the hole left when they departed still hasn't been completely filled. Just don't want to be reading in 10 years how TT regrets not keeping the offensive weapons around AR in his prime.

He won't over pay for Jordy, but I hope TT isn't over-confident in his ability to replace Nelson. The highest salary-cap players on the Packer's roster are: QB (Rodgers), 2 CB's (Williams & Shields), OLB (CM3), OL (Sitton & Lang) and ILB (Hawk). There's room for a higher priced WR to keep AR and the offense rolling.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But that is what a GM must do. Many fans demand a draft for immediate perceived need while a GM is always thinking not only this season but the next few as well. There are no guarantees, but you have to look at the talent on the team now and realize that WR is looking pretty strong down the road. To resign Jordy, TT is looking to the 2015 season already. Cobb is very good and Adams will likely be pretty strong as a rookie and reliable as a sophmore. Boykin gets better each season and will likely be good this year. Harper and Abberis are questionable, but one of the two will likely be good by 2015. Janis and Dorsey are both bigger question marks but have potential. Maybe a few years down the road. Miles White is not as big a question, but is a possibility. TT doesnt have to make a decision now, as 2014 plays out the answers on the young pups will be more clear and the 'need' to resign Nelson may become more or less imperative.

Not all of these guys will work out but several of them well to one level or another. People were concerned when we lost Jennings, Driver, and others, but we always seem to have a few more in the hopper and I think now is no different. Think about it - if we had signed Jennings, what would that have done to the development of Cobb or Boykin or . . ?

Looks to me like we have some very good depth there. I hope we can keep Jordy, and my gut tells me he will sign a below market contract to stay here. But I don't think we will miss his production too much if he leaves.

My point wasn't that you should always keep veterans and not count on developing players, my point was that there doesn't seem to be a good reason to let Nelson walk. People are only looking at this in a vacuum. The inherent assumption in NOT signing Nelson is that you'll sign Cobb. Well, let's say Cobb gets $7m/yr. Ok, now Adams HAS to work out because Cobb is only a slot receiver (albeait a VERY good one). If you sign Nelson though, he's a very good outside receiver AND a very good slot receiver. With Nelson, you could let Adams play outside and move Nelson to the slot or, if Adams takes time to develop (likely), then Nelson stays outside and Boykin moves to the slot. In either scenario you're paying a receiver quite a bit more than they're currently making. However, in signing Nelson you're getting a more versatile receiver than Cobb (note that I said receiver, obviously Cobb is more versatile overall than Nelson).

Members online

Latest posts