• Holmgren

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Equally as good/bad

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Of course it wasn't McCarthy's fault the CBA curtailed what can be done in his QB camp (I'm not saying anyone said it was). It's no coincidence that Rodgers excelled in some of the drills beyond any other QBs that McCarthy has trained in his QB school. Underplaying Rodgers' determination would be foolish. But if anyone thinks McCarthy didn't play a huge role in developing him as an NFL QB they are way under-stating the case.

Contrast that to the gunslinger Favre - he was famous for improvising. How much does a coach have to do with that?

Last edited:

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course it wasn't McCarthy's fault the CBA curtailed what can be done in his QB camp (I'm not saying any said it was). It's no coincidence that Rodgers excelled in some of the drills beyond any other QBs that McCarthy has trained in his QB school. Underplaying Rodgers' determination would be foolish. But if anyone thinks McCarthy didn't play a huge role in developing him as an NFL QB is way under-stating the case.

Contrast that to the gunslinger Favre - he was famous for improvising. How much does a coach have to do with that?

again...spot on :tup:

A person could even argue that Holmgren, as hard *** as he was, really didn't deal with brent all that well and get him reigned in.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I like Coach McCarthy, but Coach Holmgren in his time was a better coach than Coach McCarthy is now. There were few coaches who could "reign in" Brett Favre the way Mike Holmgren did. It's my opinion that Brett Favre became great partially because his head Coach kept on him. Then I think of all the men whom Mike Holmgren mentored on his coaching staff who also became excellent coaches. It's like a who's who of head coaches.

I think Coach Holmgren erred in deciding he needed more of a challenge than just Head Coaching. Even the great Vince Lombardi said that it was too hard to be GM and Head Coach at the same time. I would like to have seen Mike Holmgren concentrate on Coaching the Packers to another Super Bowl or two, rather than playing two roles.

But, as has been mentioned, Mike McCarthy isn't finished yet, so we don't know the whole story.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully MM wins another Super Bowl so we can unanimously consider him the greater head coach.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holmgren's record in Green Bay is a closed book, McCarthy's is still in progress. But here's how I rank all 15 of the Packers' head coaches.

1. Vince Lombardi
2. Curly Lambeau
3. Mike Holmgren
4. Mike McCarthy
5. Mike Sherman
6. Bart Starr
7.Lindy Infante
8.Ray Rhodes
9.Dan Devine
10.Phil Bengtson
11.Forrest Gregg
12.Liz Blackbourn
13. Gene Ronzani
14. Hugh Devore
15. Scooter McLean.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holmgren's record in Green Bay is a closed book, McCarthy's is still in progress. But here's how I rank all 15 of the Packers' head coaches.

1. Vince Lombardi
2. Curly Lambeau
3. Mike Holmgren
4. Mike McCarthy
5. Mike Sherman
6. Bart Starr
7.Lindy Infante
8.Ray Rhodes
9.Dan Devine
10.Phil Bengtson
11.Forrest Gregg
12.Liz Blackbourn
13. Gene Ronzani
14. Hugh Devore
15. Scooter McLean.

Good list. I'm still not sure if I would rank MM or MH higher, and I might switch Dan Devine up a couple of spots, but other than that, I agree.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully MM wins another Super Bowl so we can unanimously consider him the greater head coach.
If McCarthy stumbles upon another Lombardi I MIGHT consider that but at this point I would take Holmgren all day every day.
Neither one would be worthy of carrying Vince Lombardi's golf clubs.

Reaction score
Well, with the fact that McCarthy's success is still being realized (please almighty God let me eat crow a few years from now for my pick) Holmgren edges out MM. MH surrounded himself with Brigadier Generals and full bird Colonels and that's what a premier leader does, he picks a winning team. At 75-37 reg season record and 9-5 post season in 7 years.. Including 1-1 at the big game. He's the right Bower in a game of Euchre. McCarthy is the left Bower

Reaction score

1. Vince Lombardi
2. Curly Lambeau
3. Mike Holmgren
4. Mike McCarthy
5. Mike Sherman
6. Bart Starr
7.Lindy Infante
8.Ray Rhodes
9.Dan Devine
10.Phil Bengtson
11.Forrest Gregg
12.Liz Blackbourn
13. Gene Ronzani
14. Hugh Devore
15. Scooter McLean.
Forrest Gregg didn't make top 10?
I have him at #10.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't forget the fact that Holmgreen took the Sehawks to the SB with Matt Hasselbeck...they also led the league in offense to that yr if im not mistaking. So i'll take Holmgreens 3 sb's over MM's one.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't forget the fact that Holmgreen took the Sehawks to the SB with Matt Hasselbeck...they also led the league in offense to that yr if im not mistaking. So i'll take Holmgreens 3 sb's over MM's one.

Ted had a big hand in those teams :)

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted had a big hand in those teams :)

:cautious: Gross...haha jk..but on a serious note Holmgreen and Farse owned the niners up until that T.O. catch...MM and Rodgers can't seem to beat the Niners, it's like the tables have turned especially when we meet in the playoffs. I think Rodgers is a much better qb than farse was but until he and MM at least make another SB appearance i find it crazy that people say MM over Holmgreen...have some of you forgotten Holmgreen went to TWO straight SB's???

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went with Holmgren because of the fact that he had to go to his young QB way earlier than McCarthy had to, and achieved more success with Favre than McCarthy has (Thus far) with Rodgers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Did any one consider Holmgren had defenses that were really good? That could have led to wins...

unlike the pack now, who are losing those games

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did any one consider Holmgren had defenses that were really good? That could have led to wins...

unlike the pack now, who are losing those games

Wouldn't you say that falls under the head coaches responsibility at some level? Even if he is offensive minded(like MM is and MH was) and isn't as involved with the defense? I like MM but I feel he has been too patient with Capers(I hope he proves me wrong) and that he should have been out by now. Really, if you look at MM's years here, the 2010 defense was the only really good defense. The 2007 defense was solid and the 2009 defense was okay(as long as it wasn't facing an elite QB) but other than that, they have mostly stunk.

Offensively, I would say MM and Holmgren have had similar success. Defensively, the edge goes to Holmgren.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wouldn't you say that falls under the head coaches responsibility at some level? Even if he is offensive minded(like MM is and MH was) and isn't as involved with the defense? I like MM but I feel he has been too patient with Capers(I hope he proves me wrong) and that he should have been out by now. Really, if you look at MM's years here, the 2010 defense was the only really good defense. The 2007 defense was solid and the 2009 defense was okay(as long as it wasn't facing an elite QB) but other than that, they have mostly stunk.

Offensively, I would say MM and Holmgren have had similar success. Defensively, the edge goes to Holmgren.

I wanted Capers gone before this year, but it didnt happen.

Majority of people here claim it is Capers, so that is what I based that statement on :)

Reaction score
I went with Holmgren because of the fact that he had to go to his young QB way earlier than McCarthy had to, and achieved more success with Favre than McCarthy has (Thus far) with Rodgers.
That username is so perfectly pertinent and direct, no mess in' around. I like it
I concur sir, Homlgren>McCarthy

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holmgren benefited from solid defenses that had as much to do with 2 super bowls. I credit Wolf and a guy named Ted Thompson with those personnel moves; a better defensive coaching staff headed by Fritz Shurmur, and a good job by Holmgren reigning in the loose cannon at QB. We all saw what happened when Sherman let him have his own ways....We should have won 2 Championships in a row, and could have gone to 3 if there had been replay in 1998. I give Holmgren the edge. It's a shame we haven't done more in the playoffs since 2010, and there will be many changes after this year if the same ending unfolds.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holmgren benefited from solid defenses that had as much to do with 2 super bowls. I credit Wolf and a guy named Ted Thompson with those personnel moves; a better defensive coaching staff headed by Fritz Shurmur, and a good job by Holmgren reigning in the loose cannon at QB. We all saw what happened when Sherman let him have his own ways....We should have won 2 Championships in a row, and could have gone to 3 if there had been replay in 1998. I give Holmgren the edge. It's a shame we haven't done more in the playoffs since 2010, and there will be many changes after this year if the same ending unfolds.

Absolutely! I just remember in so many of those big games our offense was playing on a short field all day. Between the defense and great special teams play, the offense usually benefited big-time. I think he was a decent play caller but it's a heck of a lot easier when playing on a short field.