McCarthy is a great coach

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know. Maybe it was just me, but even as fan back then, I was ready to move on from Favre. After the umteenth retirement announcement (and umteenth game-losing interception), I was not at all concerned with losing him.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know. Maybe it was just me, but even as fan back then, I was ready to move on from Favre. After the umteenth retirement announcement (and umteenth game-losing interception), I was not at all concerned with losing him.
Credit to TT for taking that risk, but Rodgers was predicted to go #1 by many. Favre was a shell of his former self, and he just had Rodgers fall in his lap. It was a smart pick, but I don't think it speaks to TT's scouting ability. He's made many #1 picks that he thought would work out and did not, and he did use a #2 pick on a bad QB years later.

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading an article how people in the front office have had it with TT think its time to Fire our do nothing GM looks like its a matter of time now. :tup:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Is Rodgers getting sacked 50 times each year best for the team? How can people be okay with these awful offensive lines he's played behind?
I agree the OL has been lacking but I don't think it's been consistently "awful". And Rodgers is responsible for more sacks than most QBs because he holds onto the ball hoping to make a big play. He has made big plays but he's also held onto the ball - unnecessarily at times IMO - instead of throwing the ball away.

After the 2012 season:
Aaron Rodgers was responsible for the most sacks with 14. Since becoming a starter five years ago, he has been charged with 9½ sacks in 2008, 16½ in '09, 13½ in '10 and 6½ in '11.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-season-by-the-numbers-2b8e0bo-187406961.html

In 2014:
... Rodgers was charged with 11 of the team's 33 sacks over 18 games. He has been responsible for 76½ sacks in his seven seasons as starter, a 10.9 average.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...y-is-a-top-concern-b99545314z1-318735281.html

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought favre could still play, I also agreed with their decision to move forward. But judging by rift it created with a large number of fans that seems to still exist today in greater numbers than it should, I'd say it was a pretty gutsy call

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I told you people two weeks ago Thompson is not a good GM and everyone was jumping on me now people in the Packer frot office want him gone think its time for TT to go !

Pigskin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think MM is a good coach but I do not believe he should call plays. He needs to be a better deligater.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I told you people two weeks ago Thompson is not a good GM and everyone was jumping on me now people in the Packer frot office want him gone think its time for TT to go !

Who in the front office wants him gone? I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe I even clicked on that crap, shame on me. The "do nothing" GM? WTF ever. he may not do everything people like, but I have a hard time believing there are many in this league that work as hard as he does. Do nothing? someone put that authors name on this thread so I never have to click that link again to give him the "publicity" but at least I'll know enough to avert my eyes should I see anything by him or her again.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I'll be surprised if you log back in after the Redskins game. But if you do I'd love to hear your explanation on a GM and Director of Football Operations who even in a "down year" is still in contention during the "Elite 8". So, let's hear it.:tup:

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the article is accurate, frustration does not equal want him gone.

Agreed though I think Rick has a different interpretation of the story. No one gets along 100% of the time, it'd have to get a lot more serious for me to view either TT or MM's departure as a possibility.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Starr make Lombardi? That logic works both ways.

Were you around for Lombardi? If you want to discuss that particular situation, I'd think it appropriate to start a new thread, "Lombardi was a great coach", and see where that one goes. Just for the specific starter question you ask, first answer another - when was Starr drafted, when was Rodgers?

Sky King

Reaction score
Were you around for Lombardi? If you want to discuss that particular situation, I'd think it appropriate to start a new thread, "Lombardi was a great coach", and see where that one goes. Just for the specific starter question you ask, first answer another - when was Starr drafted, when was Rodgers?
I'm not sure where you're going with this but, yes, I was around during the Lombardi years. My point is that it's a two-way street -- both the coach and QB matter, they're not exclusive of one another nor the rest of the team. Saying that McCarthy is a terrible coach if not for Rodgers is the akin to saying that Lombardi was a bad coach if not for Starr. For that matter, it's like saying Holmgren was a bad coach if not for Favre. Lest we forget he also took the Seahawks to the SB with Matt Hasselbeck at QB and what was his draft status?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you're going with this but, yes, I was around during the Lombardi years. My point is that it's a two-way street -- both the coach and QB matter, they're not exclusive of one another nor the rest of the team. Saying that McCarthy is a terrible coach if not for Rodgers is the akin to saying that Lombardi was a bad coach if not for Starr. For that matter, it's like saying Holmgren was a bad coach if not for Favre. Lest we forget he also took the Seahawks to the SB with Matt Hasselbeck at QB and what was his draft status?

No argument with the bold. To me, it's just a matter of how much. On of the biggest things to come out about Vince over the years is that he got the best out of his players. If they needed TLC, the patted them on the head. If they needed a kick in backside, he did that. If there were issues outside the Packers, he worked with players on those. Plus, he was responsible for getting the players, as well as using them. Actually, I think the reference to Holmgren bolsters my side of the discussion - part of Holmgren's claim to fame is bringing Favre under control; also, yes, Hasselbeck was not a standout QB, which tells me that Holmgren was a great coach. Holmy's problem was wanting total control. Heck, lots of people think Sherman was a good coach, but his acquisition of players couldn't be tolerated.

Anyhow, I'm probably wrong in responding in this thread. As I said, there is so much more to the Lombardi story, and this thread is supposed to be about McCarthy. If I see one about Lombardi, I'll be glad to participate.

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who in the front office wants him gone? I'm pretty sure you're wrong.
Try reading the Green Bay sports section of the news paper everyone in the personal department before you talk learn whats going on in Green Bay and its all over the internet I KNOW YOUR WRONG !!!!!!

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. And I remember Joe Bugel and neither of them have anything to do with the talent, or lack of talent Campen has had to work with.
Joe Bugel was somehow equal or in any way comparable to Beghitol?

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed though I think Rick has a different interpretation of the story. No one gets along 100% of the time, it'd have to get a lot more serious for me to view either TT or MM's departure as a possibility.
Think you better read what is going on in the Green Bay front office this is not the only article about Thompson being in trouble in Green Bay he is known around the league as the do nothing GM!

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting him while Favre was still around took stones, but it took really big ones to tell Favre 'you're done, we're going with the kid', then stick with that call and take the heat for it.
For the record, Traitor Favre retired and then did his best to stick it to the Packers.