McCarthy is a great coach

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watched the game plan in the first half = McCarthy sucks! Team plays with no heart MM sucks! MM has lost AR, he sucks!
If you want to be viewed as anything more than a troll/ blowhard it would help to point out specific areas and rooms for improvement in what you're seeing beyond "McCarthy sucks."

"What was wrong with the first half gameplan? How has he lost this team? Any proof AR has lost faith?" Answers to any of these would do.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When is the last time
If you want to be viewed as anything more than a troll/ blowhard it would help to point out specific areas and rooms for improvement in what you're seeing beyond "McCarthy sucks."

"What was wrong with the first half gameplan? How has he lost this team? Any proof AR has lost faith?" Answers to any of these would do.

The game plan was run, run, run... Why? In th 4th Qt. he set AR loose and the offense started to produce. Crap game plan IMO. 70 yards passing in the first half with AR at QB, really?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When is the last time

The game plan was run, run, run... Why? In th 4th Qt. he set AR loose and the offense started to produce. Crap game plan IMO. 70 yards passing in the first half with AR at QB, really?
considering we won on defense and running last time against MN it wasn't a crap game plan. toss in all the offensive line changes and the struggling pass game, it looks like an even better idea.

and were we effective because we let AR loose, or because we were down by 3 scores, again, and the defense let up?

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No the Packers haven't had a great coach since Holmgren. But another great one (Coughlin) just became available today.

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
If you look up the qualifications of being a great leader, Mike McCarthy's outstanding leadership skills have been self evident.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sean Payton--9 years coaching NO

Hasnt been to playoffs 7 years...

Missed playoffs last 2 years

Has a great q/b

plays 8 games in a dome, and one game vs Atlanta in a dome each year..

I think his record is worse then MM's---

3 years at- 7-9-----2 BACK TO BACK 7-9 years

yet people want him

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you look up the qualifications of being a great leader, Mike McCarthy's outstanding leadership skills have been self evident.

Looks like we could use a little explanation of the second contention, too.

Randy S.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watched the game plan in the first half = McCarthy sucks! Team plays with no heart MM sucks! MM has lost AR, he sucks!

I agree 100%. He didn't learn his lesson last week by giving Rogers additional protection and every time the camera was on him he looked like a deer in the headlights. All you had to do was watch Rogers eyes after MM called in a play. Rogers was are you kidding me but being a team member ran the play for what zero yards. What was the team record when MM kept to game management and not calling the plays.

I really think the team has lost heart and I'm sorry, but I point the finger at MM and the upper office. Watch the eyes this week, Clay, Aaron, Julius and Lacy it's like "ok I'm a team players but what the hell are you thinking when you call in plays for both sides of the ball.

I'll still wear the green and gold proudly here in NYC but it gets old when everyone ask what's wrong with your coaches and game plan.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until Rodgers runs every play to absolute perfection, he needs to shut up and run the play without an attitude. Players play, coaches coach. No man is bigger than the team, not even Rodgers. If this is truly the case, quit rolling the eyes, quit second guessing everything and run the offense

Randy S.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until Rodgers runs every play to absolute perfection, he needs to shut up and run the play without an attitude. Players play, coaches coach. No man is bigger than the team, not even Rodgers. If this is truly the case, quit rolling the eyes, quit second guessing everything and run the offense

Well spoken COACH..now call plays that will result in yardage and or scores and stop handcuffing your QB, running backs and receivers. Also tell your receivers to run the routes at 100% speed and when the QB has to roll out don't stop and watch him keep running modified routes to give the QB a chance to get you the ball.

Believe it or not sometimes the QB is smarter then the coach, like or not. In this case Rogers does have a leg up on MM and his ego...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well spoken COACH..now call plays that will result in yardage and or scores and stop handcuffing your QB, running backs and receivers. Also tell your receivers to run the routes at 100% speed and when the QB has to roll out don't stop and watch him keep running modified routes to give the QB a chance to get you the ball.

Believe it or not sometimes the QB is smarter then the coach, like or not. In this case Rogers does have a leg up on MM and his ego...
with all the missed passes, fumble 6's, INT's in the endzone and dropped passes, I wouldn't say he's handcuffed anybody

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
MM offense in last 9 years (not this year)

average of #6.5 in offense points score rank--top 5 in points scored 5 times...Twice #1

Oddly enough, that is exactly same rank in yards gained as well #6.5 average..Top #5 in yards gained 3 times

So he is proven to be a very very good offensive mind.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We found out 2 things this year. MM deserves a pay cut. Jordy Nelson deserves a raise. Just take MM's pay cut and give it to Jordy.

Also MM was riding Rodgers arm for years. Now that Rodgers had an off year, we find out how MM's offensive mind really is.

Last edited:

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think so. He's been at it for 9 years as the offensive line coach. In those 9 years, he has produced the no. 1 offensive pass protection line (by sacks allowed) in 2007, followed by no. 14, 30, 21, 23, 31, 26, 13, and no. 17 so far this year. He has fielded run blocking lines ranked 26th in 2007; followed by 19th, 9th, 23rd, 16th, 25th, 5th, 8th and currently his line ranks 24th in run blocking this season.

So, overall his lines have ranked have ranked 17th in run blocking; 19+ in pass blocking. If you throw out the no. 1 line he inherited in 2007, his pass blocking lines rank 22nd in the league over 8 years. This year's line is a bit worse than the average line he's fielded in the last 9 years.

Maybe the talent he's been given over that time is just ordinary as well. Certainly there has been a huge player turnover in 9 years, with little consistent improvement. Sitton, Lang and the 2 young centers appear to be the exception in offensive linemen under his tutelage. Apparently they are just superior athletes, and "coachable", if you accept that all the others weren't. We've never replaced Clifton and Tauscher.

Since 2008 A. Rogers ranks no. 1 in the league in interception percentage of 1.6 and QB rating of just over 105.

The numbers seem to suggest that Rogers, and the Green Bay Packers offense, has excelled in spite of ordinary line play; not because of it. So, as Rogers gets older year by year, we stick with the same coach to develop talent to protect him, when he rarely has accomplished it in 9 years.
Excellent post JB.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A great coach would be Arians. The test for me is the run game. Arians is dedicated to it in camp onward.

MM thinks the season is too long, has a soft camp, rare hitting and blocking. Expects #12 to save us.

It shows.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you change players but not improve the quality of the players, changing the coach will make no difference. Again, what is your evaluation of the OT talent Campen has available to him? Here's mine: Bulaga was a first rounder who has struggled with injury, Bakhtiari was a 4th rounder who has battled injuries since preseason and that has ended any hope he would improve his play from last season. Barclay is a UDFA who has never been even adequate at OT - he's an OG. And Jeremy Vujnovich is a UDFA on the PS. You apparently think another OL coach can significantly improve the play of the current "talent" at OT. I think you are suggesting firing Campen just for the sake of it and ignoring the real problem: Lack of talent available.
Remember Larry Beghitol?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Remember Larry Beghitol?
Yes. And I remember Joe Bugel and neither of them have anything to do with the talent, or lack of talent Campen has had to work with.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a complete coaching unit. Enough of McCarthy wearing multiple hats. I think he can coach the guys up just fine, but the offense needs to be put in the hands of a true OC next year.

Honestly, I think what the franchise doesn't receive enough criticism for is their inability to keep Rodgers protected. Other than last year, his line has been poor at best during his entire career. Putting up huge numbers against bad teams and winning a bad division shouldn't make up for this. Any other GM would have made major steps towards assuring he got the help he needs.

Thompson seems more intent on being self-serving by acting like he is allergic to the FA market just so they can keep that 95% home-grown figure and people can proclaim he is a genius, when only about 15% of those players are actually good by NFL standards and are pulling most of the weight on the team.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Thompson seems more intent on being self-serving by acting like he is allergic to the FA market just so they can keep that 95% home-grown figure and people can proclaim he is a genius, when only about 15% of those players are actually good by NFL standards and are pulling most of the weight on the team.
Why wouldn't Thompson do what he sincerely believes will lead to the success of the Packers? If he put teams on the field that led to multiple championships wouldn't that be the most "self-serving" thing he could do? Wouldn't people be even more likely to "proclaim him a genius"? I get why fans disagree with Thompson's MO in building and sustaining a team - I disagree with it - by why ascribe motives to him other than he sincerely believes in what he is doing and has believed it even before he became GM of the Packers?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM is an average coach. I think he deserves credit for being able to coach quarterbacks. He seems to have a knack at improving qb play. Unfortunately he also produces soft teams that rarely ever play 60 minutes. Practices at Nitschke field in the summer are a joke. Most of the players stand around and there is more hitting in a square dance. The fact is without #12 both MM and TT would be long gone.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean, your opinion is, because this team could be very different and still successful without Rodgers. His position and his salary have resulted in the team we have. I'm sure it would look quite different if he weren't here.

Besides, I'm not convinced many head coaches or gms would have had the stones to draft and then play Rodgers over the face of their franchise

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why wouldn't Thompson do what he sincerely believes will lead to the success of the Packers? If he put teams on the field that led to multiple championships wouldn't that be the most "self-serving" thing he could do? Wouldn't people be even more likely to "proclaim him a genius"? I get why fans disagree with Thompson's MO in building and sustaining a team - I disagree with it - by why ascribe motives to him other than he sincerely believes in what he is doing and has believed it even before he became GM of the Packers?
Is Rodgers getting sacked 50 times each year best for the team? How can people be okay with these awful offensive lines he's played behind?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean, your opinion is, because this team could be very different and still successful without Rodgers. His position and his salary have resulted in the team we have. I'm sure it would look quite different if he weren't here.

Besides, I'm not convinced many head coaches or gms would have had the stones to draft and then play Rodgers over the face of their franchise

Drafting him while Favre was still around took stones, but it took really big ones to tell Favre 'you're done, we're going with the kid', then stick with that call and take the heat for it.