McCarthy is a great coach

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mccarthy is starting to feel the pressure. Next year will show if he can regroup of his days are numbered.

He took back play calling after saying he wouldn't. He has called out Lacy, when before he wouldn't comment about stuff like that in the media. He seems irritated when they ask him questions about Abby and Janis.

Hopefully this is the season he needed to get that slap to get him out of his stubbornes and being so damn conservative. Maybe next year he will be aggressive and never let off the gas in games. Put teams away when you get opportunities

I completely agree, he was really candid yesterday. Maybe my memory is failing me but I don't remember him ever calling out players to this extent in the past. He was also very firm with his stance on Clay play-calling among other things. I kind of liked it actually. But it seemed out of character for him to give out specifics.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I completely agree, he was really candid yesterday. Maybe my memory is failing me but I don't remember him ever calling out players to this extent in the past. He was also very firm with his stance on Clay play-calling among other things. I kind of liked it actually. But it seemed out of character for him to give out specifics.
I have heard this line last year and probably the year b4. I have never disliked McCarthy but his overly conservative play calling (too many obvious runs w/o having the O line to back it up) has gotten very old. I am sure this has been said previously but it is obvious that Rodgers made him...not the other way around.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tried to quote the other guy that said maybe this will have McCarthy put teams away next year.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard this line last year and probably the year b4. I have never disliked McCarthy but his overly conservative play calling (too many obvious runs w/o having the O line to back it up) has gotten very old. I am sure this has been said previously but it is obvious that Rodgers made him...not the other way around.

Ehh... I don't think the two are directly related. I always hear this theory on this board specifically that Belichick made Brady. And now I hear Aaron made MM?

I think it is a bit over-simplistic to say either of the two. Brady is good, he does his job... Does it well. Does having a hall of fame coach help? Sure. But Brady would be good anywhere.

The same can be said for Rodgers. But if you Replace MM with Chip Kelly and have Aaron running some crazy offense predicated on tricky the other team, and not using Aaron's talents. Then Aaron's talents could easily be wasted as well.

I don't think anyone here is arguing that if a better coach is available they wouldn't mind picking them up. But give me a name of someone better... And ill be all for it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hopefully this is the season he needed to get that slap to get him out of his stubbornes and being so damn conservative. Maybe next year he will be aggressive and never let off the gas in games. Put teams away when you get opportunities

Since McCarthy became the Packers head coach the Packers are ranked third in the league in points scored. IMO it´s ridiculous to continue to question his knowledge how to run an NFL offense.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since McCarthy became the Packers head coach the Packers are ranked third in the league in points scored. IMO it´s ridiculous to continue to question his knowledge how to run an NFL offense.

Running an offense and managing games are 2 different things. Doesn't matter if your team scores 50 points, if the other team scores 51. When it matters he hasn't been able to get his teams to finish games in the post seasons. Besides 2010. His record is not very good.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, and beside the losses he´s been perfect. It doesn´t make any sense to exclude 2010 when taking a look at his playoff record.

I just meant that besides winning the super bowl that year. As that's why he gets a pass on being the Peyton Manning of coaches. Great regular seasons, but in playoffs he can't finish games. His record is 8-7 in the post season. I don't think that's a very good record if you ask me.

D

Deleted member 6794

I just meant that besides winning the super bowl that year. As that's why he gets a pass on being the Peyton Manning of coaches. Great regular seasons, but in playoffs he can't finish games. His record is 8-7 in the post season. I don't think that's a very good record if you ask me.

I knew exactly what you were talking about but IMO it doesn't make any sense to ignore him winning the Super Bowl to make an argument. And while I would like his playoff record to be better there's no reason to act like it's as bad as Marvin Lewis' either.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew exactly what you were talking about but IMO it doesn't make any sense to ignore him winning the Super Bowl to make an argument. And while I would like his playoff record to be better there's no reason to act like it's as bad as Marvin Lewis' either.
I agree that he's not as bad as Marvin Lewis. But I think that having great regular seasons and getting nothing for them is really starting to get old. Sure, it could be worse and we could be like the Browns, but having a QB like Rodgers and the talent he's had, he should have a better record.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that he's not as bad as Marvin Lewis. But I think that having great regular seasons and getting nothing for them is really starting to get old. Sure, it could be worse and we could be like the Browns, but having a QB like Rodgers and the talent he's had, he should have a better record.
and if a QB like Rodgers could NOT miss Jordy by inches in the endzone and we're getting TD's instead of settling for FG's, we're in the Super Bowl last year. If maybe our QB like Rodger's lead our offense on a 4 and out on a crucial drive essentially giving the Cards a 7 point lead, maybe Saturday turns out differently?

All these arguments, people trying to convince me that MM isn't a good coach, people trying to convince me that Rodgers isn't a good qb capable of leading a team, people trying to tell me that a guy drafting almost the entire team and being in position to get to the big one year after year can't find talent.

Every year is unique, though the past 2 endings have been too similar for me. I would have loved to play Seattle at home, the Chiefs at home, the Steelers with an injured QB, no RB's and without the best WR in the league. We'd be moving on too. As it happened, this year we faced probably the most balanced team in the league and took them to OT on the road without our top 4 WR's. and you know what? Our QB like Rodgers was a big reason we were in the game and also a reason we weren't playing a home game this weekend instead being a #1 or #2 seed this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that the Packers overall playoff record with McCarthy and Rodgers should be better, I mostly blame that on lack of talent at some important positions than on coaching.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Excluding the 2010 playoffs makes as much sense as excluding 4 of McCarthy's playoff losses (in which case his playoff winning percentage would be about 73%) which is to say it makes no sense at all. I agree with captainWIMM and consider the Packers playoff record as belonging mostly to Thompson and McCarthy...

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not give too much credit to the coach for winning ONE SB, with our QB.
Barry won a SB at Dallas, nobody is putting him in the HOF.
Once in a while the hog finds an acorn...

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that the Packers overall playoff record with McCarthy and Rodgers should be better, I mostly blame that on lack of talent at some important positions than on coaching.

How?

15-1 lose in the playoffs... Lose your first game in the playoffs at home. To a team you already beat?

Last year in Seattle wasn't a lack of talent either... They **** the bed in the fourth quarter. That wasn't a talent problem either. They play the stupid... Let's not lose the game approach.

This year the second half of the season they came into games as flat as I have ever seen. Yet, by some miracle from above could play better when they knew they were going to lose.

Seems like a motivation issue, and all of these are 100% on McCarthy. And his play design is worse than my high school team. But other than that I don't blame him :)

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Considering MM completely broke down and rebuilt Rodgers throwing mechanics I'd have to say the bolded comment is anything but obvious.

Most of these posts in this thread strike me as "chicken or the egg" arguments

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet, by some miracle from above could play better when they knew they were going to lose.

This is a perception I also had that perplexed me. They seemed to wake up and play desperate when they're backs were against the wall. Something seemed off.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a perception I also had that perplexed me. They seemed to wake up and play desperate when they're backs were against the wall. Something seemed off.

Most likely a combination of desperation and the other team's taking their foot off the gas. Then again this is the NFL and a talented team is most likely going to string together some good plays at some point regardless of whether the other team let's up or not

D

Deleted member 6794

Let's not give too much credit to the coach for winning ONE SB, with our QB.
Barry won a SB at Dallas, nobody is putting him in the HOF.
Once in a while the hog finds an acorn...

Nobody was suggesting to put McCarthy in the HOF.

How?

15-1 lose in the playoffs... Lose your first game in the playoffs at home. To a team you already beat?

Last year in Seattle wasn't a lack of talent either... They **** the bed in the fourth quarter. That wasn't a talent problem either. They play the stupid... Let's not lose the game approach.

While the 2011 team won 15 games it was pretty obvious to everyone the defense lacked talent and was absolutely terrible all season long.

Last year not having better players at inside linebacker was the main reason for the collapse at Seattle as 20 points can be directly attributed to a lack of talent at the position.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're not going to win another Championship until we learn how to block. Final DVOA rankings on the offensive lines has our Packers at no. 25 in run blocking; 23rd in pass blocking. Worse than Campen's previous 8 lines that have averaged 17 in run blocking and 19 in pass blocking. I would say it is evident that either he is unable to develop inferior talent to be above average; or he is a failure in developing good talent to be great. And he's now had 10 years to learn the intricacies of the zone blocking scheme; something he had 1 year of under Jag before being hired as head o line coach. And yet he is untouchable. That's on MM, in my opinion.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody was suggesting to put McCarthy in the HOF.

While the 2011 team won 15 games it was pretty obvious to everyone the defense lacked talent and was absolutely terrible all season long.

Last year not having better players at inside linebacker was the main reason for the collapse at Seattle as 20 points can be directly attributed to a lack of talent at the position.

You can say this for every team of all time... That's a horrible argument.

New England - this year lacks in the secondary, injuries have depleted an already mediocre receiving group. They are on like their 8th running back it feels like. Rank second to last in kickoff returns. Ranked in the bottom half in passing defense.

Carolina - doesn't even have a NFL caliber receiver on their team. Except Olson. Their kicker has been sporadic all year and ranks in the bottom 3rd. Rank dead last in kickoff returns.

Denver - doesn't even have a consistent quarterback anymore, their running backs are a mess.

Arizona - Probably the best overall team in NFL right now. But they are not without flaws either. They ranked 20th in sacks over the year. Palmer is far from outstanding when pressured. (As seen last weekend).

No team is "perfect".... That's the coaches job to make the people around him better and game plan around his team strengths and weaknesses. Not run the same damn thing no matter who is out there. 12th string receivers, ya we should run ISO 4 x curls routes. Ridiculous. Throw the same stop route to Jones every third down.

Go back and watch the super bowl year.... That was NOT on McCarthy, Aaron was playing out of his mind. Same stupid concepts but since Rodgers was playing like no one has ever played in the history of the NFL, and the defense came through with a pick 6. It was enough.

I give him the credit as he was the coach, but let's not somehow believe it was an unbelievable coaching or play-calling that got us there. Philly Tramon Williams picked off a Vick pass to seal that game after they let off the gas. Packers didn't score a single point from 7 minutes in the third till the end of the game

Atlanta, Tramon returns one of my favorite interceptions ever before halftime for touchdown and blows that game wide open before half. 4 turnovers in that game by Green Bay defense. Great performance from both.

Chicago - complete fiasco, Aaron Rodgers and the high powered offense was outscored in the second half by Caleb Hanie, once again this team falls apart going into the second half and it takes shields last second pick to seal the game.

Super Bowl - A couple incredible throws from Rodgers, great catches by receivers, Collins return touchdown, and Matthews forced fumble is what changed that game. Packers were outscored in the second half again.

Same crap last year in Seattle - the only way we were going to win that game is if the defense literally won it for them. 5 turnovers and 22 points is laughable. Offensive mastermind must have slept in that day. Outscored in the second half again

Note: Has anyone have stats on playoff games and being outscored after half... I looked up 5, 4 wins... And they were outscored in the second half in all but 1. Odd coincidence?

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I decided to look it up....

2009 - 0 of 1 - outscored Arizona in a loss.
2010 - 3 of 4 - Got outscored in the second half by Philly, Pitt, Chicago
2011 - 1 of 1 - Outscored by Giants
2012 - Tied in second half to Minnesota which is laughable. and outscored in the other vs San Fran
2013 - Tied to San Fran
2014 - 1 of 2 - Outscored Dallas, then got outscored by Seattle.
2015 - 1 of 2 Outscored Washington, and depending how you count it... I count overtime as it is after adjustments should be made.

So overall in the playoffs in the second half... The Packers have been outscored 7 times... outscored the other team 4 times and tied the other team 2 times in second half.

Lets break that down... We have been outscored in the second half of playoff games almost 2 twice as much as we have outscored the other team.

We were outscored in the second half in 4 of the 6 of playoff exits, tied in 1, and outscored Arizona (in a loss of course). Seems to me the Packers are pretty easy to play against. Only once in a playoff loss have we outscored the other team in the second half, that was 2009.

That is 100% coaching if you ask me.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
That is 100% coaching if you ask me.
100%? Well at least you didn't exaggerate. :D That's great news for Thompson: The only responsibility he bears is hiring the HC. His responsibility for talent acquisition must be 0%, right?

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100%? Well at least you didn't exaggerate. :D That's great news for Thompson: The only responsibility he bears is hiring the HC. His responsibility for talent acquisition must be 0%, right?

Only if you are assuming that the percentages need to add up to 100%... But it doesn't matter the talent you have if you are being out coached more often than not in the playoffs.

I am speaking purely of being out-scored in the second half, using vanilla schemes, and coaching "not to lose". Those are 100 percent coaching. Not even just MM, though he is the overseer and ultimately should be responsible. But it's also capers, who has been outscored in second halves of games.

Could the team have more talent... Sure. But that isn't the reason they stay even or in front in the first half and lose the second half of games.

So if you want me to score TT, I'd say he has room for improvement. Sometimes too cautious in FA, 10 million we didn't use this year alone. Hope he starts to realize we are getting close to the now or never time. Obviously the teams lack of depth on him. But he isn't the reason the Packers schemes suck and they get figured out by halftime and then outscored in the majority of their playoff games.

Members online

Latest posts