McCarthy is a great coach

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It appears they want better performance out of their offensive line, which ranked 29th in the league in pass protection. Now, there are some who will say that is due to inferior talent, or blame T Bridge; and continue on the same. But it seems pretty obvious the head coach decided inferior coaching was a significant contributing factor; so he made a change. It appears Zimmer isn't content with winning the division.
You have Norv Turner for your OC. What more could a team want? I think the Vikings have not been able to maximize the play action with AP. That is inexcusable. You have a back that can take it to the house even at 30 years old at any given time. No defense can ignore him. I see the Vikings taking him out on 3rd down plays when he could be a safety valve or a decoy. The year Favre was there in 2009 he dumped off to Adrian often on 3rd down when teams were trying to cover their deep threats, Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin. Bridgewater holds the ball even longer than Rodgers. He should be able to go deep 2-4 times a game with some success. They're too conservative. Denny Green would get sick to see the opportunity go to waste.

D

Deleted member 6794

I put most of those teams in the same category as GB. Denver could certainly be scary, but they have had a QB who has been unsuccessful in the postseason for one reason or another. NE is definitely top dog each year.

Those SF and Seattle defenses were just brutal, with an unreal amount of talent and QBs who could throw better than most and run faster than most RBs. Now you've got Carolina who has that dynamic quality and Arizona as well. Since the year GB won the playoffs, the NFC has really seemed to evolve, while it's pretty much the status quo still in the AFC.

Still the AFC is 2-2 in Super Bowls over that period.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are engaging in a non-sequitur. In post #192 you quoted my post which discussed the quality of talent – or more specifically the relative lack thereof - Campen has had available to work with. Your comment was “Remember Larry Beghitol (sic)?” In an attempt to point out your non-sequitur, I posted yes I remember Beightol and I remember Joe Bugel and neither of them have anything to do with the talent, or lack of talent Campen has had to work with. I could have picked anyone or anything to make the point that like Beightol, he or it had nothing to do with the talent available to Campen. But to address your question, yes Bugel was comparable to Beightol because both coached OL in the NFL. Not only that but Bugel coached the “Hogs” of the Washington Redskins, an OL unit which was very instrumental in two Super Bowl victories. So to answer your question which has nothing to do with my post: Yes, in my opinion Bugel was on the same level as Beightol. No, it wouldn’t “become a fact” because the comment I was responding to was a hypothetical about the past. Neither is it a fact that if Rodgers left the Packers for some reason Thompson and McCarthy would be instantly gone. That’s your opinion, just as it was Sanguine camper’s opinion about past hypothetical events.
Your opinion on my opinion. Is there a point there?

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look up the DVOA rankings of Campen's lines since 2007. The only pass protection line in the top 10 was the one he inherited from Philbin in 2007. Blame it on personnel if you wish. I think the personnel has changed quite a bit through the years without any significant improvement. That leaves coaching as a logical avenue of change to me. It's fine with me if you disagree.
Excellent post JB.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have Norv Turner for your OC. What more could a team want? I think the Vikings have not been able to maximize the play action with AP. That is inexcusable. You have a back that can take it to the house even at 30 years old at any given time. No defense can ignore him. I see the Vikings taking him out on 3rd down plays when he could be a safety valve or a decoy. The year Favre was there in 2009 he dumped off to Adrian often on 3rd down when teams were trying to cover their deep threats, Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin. Bridgewater holds the ball even longer than Rodgers. He should be able to go deep 2-4 times a game with some success. They're too conservative. Denny Green would get sick to see the opportunity go to waste.
Teddy's just finished his 2nd year playing very well. One of the best 2-year starts ever.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just as it appears McCarthy doesn't think it's the coaching of the OL that has led to their problems. For example, Campen looked like a genius (if you think it's all - or mostly - about coaching) the last half of last season. Unless you blame Campen for injuries and the lack of one adequate backup OT on the roster...
It appears that Tretter is more than adequate. Which begs the question on why Barclay was playing ahead of him? Who thought Campen a genius at anytime besides you? His lines have never even been average. And, it's not the players for the most part.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It appears they want better performance out of their offensive line, which ranked 29th in the league in pass protection. Now, there are some who will say that is due to inferior talent, or blame T Bridge; and continue on the same. But it seems pretty obvious the head coach decided inferior coaching was a significant contributing factor; so he made a change. It appears Zimmer isn't content with winning the division.
Excellent post JB. Zimmer is going to kick our as for years if Murphy fails to jack up TT and MM. We need to get back to fundamental football and sensible use of FA.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we all know how it happened, and we all know the giant rift it created with fans. There's no sense acting like it was an easy decision from a Front office standpoint with no repercussions because we all witnessed them.
WTF is your point? Of course it wasn't easy. The Traitor made it as hard as he possibly could.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting him while Favre was still around took stones, but it took really big ones to tell Favre 'you're done, we're going with the kid', then stick with that call and take the heat for it.
For the record: It was The Traitor who told the Packers that he was done with the Packers.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Your opinion on my opinion. Is there a point there?
Good lord, you're really having a problem following the discussion: The subject was the quality of talent Campen had and has to work with and you posted “Remember Larry Beghitol?” That’s a non-sequitur (you post as if you don't know what that means). IOW, it is off the subject. The point is your post about "Beghitol" made no sense.
It appears that Tretter is more than adequate. Which begs the question on why Barclay was playing ahead of him? Who thought Campen a genius at anytime besides you? His lines have never even been average. And, it's not the players for the most part.
Not only do you have trouble logically following a discussion, you also post things that are blatantly untrue: Find the post in which I called or insinuated Campen is a genius. Do you have any other straw men in mind? Whose decision was it to start Barclay instead of Tretter? Do you know for certain? And his lines were above average for the second half of last season. You don't have enough information to know if it's mostly the players or the coaching. BTW, how do you explain how the OL performed last season?
Your opinion is in fact your opinion. And, of course, you're entitled to your wrong opinion.
You're wrong. Stating your opinion as if it were a fact doesn't make it one.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I will say that MM is a very good coach. Belichick is a great coach. Both have benefited from a HOF QB. The difference I see is that BB game plans for a specific opponent much better. It is not just about what " we do " as a team. He works to take away the opponent's strength first. He also adjusts better in games than does MM. MM even had the benefit of Favre his first 2 seasons. And the year Brady went down for the season in week 1 the Pats still finished at 11-5 with Matt Cassel at QB. That is a feat I doubt could occur under MM using a Matt Flynn or a Scott Tolzien to go 15 games. BB has been able to maximize just about every rookie or player acquisition from elsewhere remarkably. The Ted Thompson philosophy is quite different. Except for a handful of players he likes to be home grown. As if someone who has developed elsewhere is forbidden fruit,

That Patriots team was coming up their 16-0 season and was very talented around Brady. They also literally had one of the easiest schedules in NFL history. Belichick had some help to get to 11-5.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good lord, you're really having a problem following the discussion: The subject was the quality of talent Campen had and has to work with and you posted “Remember Larry Beghitol?” That’s a non-sequitur (you post as if you don't know what that means). IOW, it is off the subject. The point is your post about "Beghitol" made no sense. Not only do you have trouble logically following a discussion, you also post things that are blatantly untrue: Find the post in which I called or insinuated Campen is a genius. Do you have any other straw men in mind? Whose decision was it to start Barclay instead of Tretter? Do you know for certain? And his lines were above average for the second half of last season. You don't have enough information to know if it's mostly the players or the coaching. BTW, how do you explain how the OL performed last season?
Well I don't agree that its the players for the most part. Which is why I pointed out that coaching - as in the great Larry Beghitol (to keep it close to home for the inane) - has elevated bad O-line play to good. Am I going too fast for you?

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good lord, you're really having a problem following the discussion: The subject was the quality of talent Campen had and has to work with and you posted “Remember Larry Beghitol?” That’s a non-sequitur (you post as if you don't know what that means). IOW, it is off the subject. The point is your post about "Beghitol" made no sense. Not only do you have trouble logically following a discussion, you also post things that are blatantly untrue: Find the post in which I called or insinuated Campen is a genius. Do you have any other straw men in mind? Whose decision was it to start Barclay instead of Tretter? Do you know for certain? And his lines were above average for the second half of last season. You don't have enough information to know if it's mostly the players or the coaching. BTW, how do you explain how the OL performed last season?
In fact, I am betting that my predictive opinion becomes fact when AR leaves.

Sky King

Reaction score
http://m.jsonline.com/sports/packer...s-playoff-failures-b99651946z1-365591411.html

One of the most criticial articles I've seen from JSONLINE on MM.
An indication that McCarthy may have run out of Mulligans with some members of the media. The 2016 season may be critical to the futures of both he and Ted Thompson -- more than any of their prior seasons in Green Bay. Resurgence or decline? We'll have a better idea about that 12 months from now, if not sooner. They've got quite a challenge before them.

To every thing there is a season...
-- Solomon

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teddy's just finished his 2nd year playing very well. One of the best 2-year starts ever.

Is this serious? Over his last 10 games he threw 8 tds and 4 ints and he eclipsed 168 yards in just 3 of the 10 games. Even 4 tds came in one game. So he had one terrific game and in the other 9 were game managing at best. Teddy is a decent looking qb but as of right now there is very little reason to think he is more than that. Zimmer on the other hand could be a top end coach.

Tacklynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Incredibly, five of McCarthy's seven playoff defeats occurred on the final play of the game."
Taken from the JS Online article.

Just wondering...
Are there any historian/statisticians here that could analyze those 7 defeats as follows:
(1) Who we played (2) What was the spread/odds (3) Final scores (4) How the final scores matched with the spread/odds.

Perhaps this kind of info could shed light on whether we have been over achieving or under achieving.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Well I don't agree that its the players for the most part. Which is why I pointed out that coaching - as in the great Larry Beghitol (to keep it close to home for the inane) - has elevated bad O-line play to good. Am I going too fast for you?
I missed your analysis of the talent Beightol had available to him. No, that's not right, I didn't miss it, you thought you were making a point by only asking if I remembered him.
In fact, I am betting that my predictive opinion becomes fact when AR leaves.
That's funny. Yes, at some point Thompson, McCarthy and Rodgers will no longer be in their current jobs with the Packers. If Rodgers plays out his contract and retires, Thompson will have been GM for 15 years and McCarthy HC for 14 years at that point. But just to spell it out for you since you are still clinging to this idea: A prediction is not a fact.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Incredibly, five of McCarthy's seven playoff defeats occurred on the final play of the game."

Just wondering...
Are there any historian/statisticians here that could analyze those 7 defeats as follows:
(1) Who we played (2) What was the spread/odds (3) Final scores (4) How the final scores matched with the spread/odds.

Perhaps this kind of info could shed light on whether we have been over achieving or under achieving.

For anybody on my side, I can answer that without looking up your questions. Once you get to the point where the first 60 minutes haven't decided a winner, it's on you to be that winner. Hence, they under-acheived each time.

Tacklynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For anybody on my side, I can answer that without looking up your questions. Once you get to the point where the first 60 minutes haven't decided a winner, it's on you to be that winner. Hence, they under-acheived each time.

That's a good approach, no # crunching needed.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Just wondering...

#1 is from memory: Giants and 49ers at Lambeau (I suspect we were favored.); Cards twice there, SeaHawks last season there (Probably dogs.)
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/playoffs.htm

Last edited:

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy is a decent coach. I'm not his biggest fan and wouldn't be opposed to canning him, but I don't think we'd find anyone better available atm.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mccarthy is starting to feel the pressure. Next year will show if he can regroup of his days are numbered.

He took back play calling after saying he wouldn't. He has called out Lacy, when before he wouldn't comment about stuff like that in the media. He seems irritated when they ask him questions about Abby and Janis.

Hopefully this is the season he needed to get that slap to get him out of his stubbornes and being so damn conservative. Maybe next year he will be aggressive and never let off the gas in games. Put teams away when you get opportunities

Members online

Latest posts