McCarthy is a great coach

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see if anyone understand what the following list means without me explaining it:

Rodgers/McCarthy

Starr/Lombardi

Graham/Brown

Staubach/Landry

Marino/Shula

Brady/Belichick

Montana/Walsh

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Only if you are assuming that the percentages need to add up to 100%... ... Those are 100 percent coaching. Not even just MM, though he is the overseer and ultimately should be responsible. But it's also capers, who has been outscored in second halves of games. ... Could the team have more talent... Sure. But that isn't the reason they stay even or in front in the first half and lose the second half of games.
So only with regard to coaching issues, the coaches were 100% responsible? :D OK, that's helpful. And when assigning overall responsibility for something, it doesn't have to add up to 100%? Again very helpful. Then why not have coaching 557% responsible, Thompson and talent acquisition 263% responsible, and the players 199% responsible? :roflmao:

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So only with regard to coaching issues, the coaches were 100% responsible? :D OK, that's helpful. And when assigning overall responsibility for something, it doesn't have to add up to 100%? Again very helpful. Then why not have coaching 557% responsible, Thompson and talent acquisition 263% responsible, and the players 199% responsible? :roflmao:

Because when I look at the losses in the playoffs, they aren't because of talent... So I take the problems that I see.

Lack of discipline - Letting Kap look like super man
Getting outscored in a after halftime - Majority of playoff games.
Poor game management and timeout use - Seattle game
Coaching problems - Blown coverages, people not on the same page
Vanilla plays

Those are some of the biggest things I saw in both games. The other teams weren't necessarily more talented. They just outplayed and out coached.

Those errors are all coaching. It wasn't like we didn't have anyone to keep up with Jon Brown. Or we were lacking in the secondary. They did fine. But for some reason Randall forgot his job in a key time. He is plenty talented enough to cover Fitz. Just didn't

I know the point you are trying to make with percentages, but you are wrong. I am saying the things that cost the Packers games in Playoffs were 100% coaching related not talent. It isn't 100% because you are talking about two different things. I blame playoff losses on the coach. Especially the way they have lost historically under MM. Could TT have done better in the draft... Sure, but so could every GM. Pats are playing with one of the worst offensive lines I have ever seen.

Would it help to have the NFC all stars all on one team? Of course. But every team has flaws and its the coaches job to hide them and play to their strengths. Not run quad curls with 5th string WR's.

No team has a perfect roster, you have to elevate that... That is why they get paid is to get the team to perform at optimal level. None of those playoff losses I could say, ya they were just waaay more talented. This isn't New England vs Jacksonville.

Look at Denver getting rid of Fox, Cavs getting rid of one of the most winning coaches of all time. 6th I believe. Why because they know championships are all that matters. LeBron will retire soon enough, Manning as he has will lose his arm. The talent isn't perfect on either team but they expect championships not close.

You use the same technique to refute over and over again. Try to blow it up to absurdity or make fun of the person in general. But never refute the actual problems that are the main point of the post. Try to pick one sentence or even 1 word out of post to make them look like they can't be trusted. You attack character instead of the problem especially when you can't refute it.

In fact both of your last two post add NOTHING to the conversation... Just fluff to attack character.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In fact both of your last two post add NOTHING to the conversation... Just fluff to attack character.
No, not to attack your character. Rather to attack something foolish you posted by making fun of it. You on the other hand have posted: “… This is how I know you know nothing... You don't know what you are talking about man...” which you then attempted to justify by saying ‘if the context fits it's ok...’. That is an attack on the character of another poster – you didn’t even qualify it to the subject at hand, which would have been bad enough. And that’s hardly the only example, as you’ve admitted. You look like a hypocrite calling someone else out on attacking your character, particularly regarding a post which didn't.

Here’s some substance for you: It makes no sense to blame playoff losses 100% on any one facet of the game, including coaching. A few easy examples to make the point: Bostick’s brain fart in the NFCCG. He was coached extensively and reminded of his responsibility seconds before the kick. His screw up was not on the coaching staff. And what if Shields had caught one, two or all three of the potential INTs that hit his hands? Was he coached not to do so? Even you can’t blame that on coaching. In fact, the coaches should be praised for the scheme which had Shields in position to intercept three passes. If Bostick just does what he practiced hundreds of times and was told seconds before the kick the Packers likely would have played the Pats in the last Super Bowl. If Shields would have caught just the last of the three potential INTs with about 4 minutes left in regulation the lucky ricochet off of Randall's arm into Floyd's hands in the EZ wouldn't have taken place and the Packers would have had the ball with a three point lead with about 4 minutes left. But that's right, Shields was coached not to catch INTs and Randall was coached to direct the ricochet into the opponent's hands. And Randall screwed up coverage on Fitzgerald in OT. Obviously coaching played a very important part in playoff losses but alleging it's entirely on the coaching staff tells me, You don't know what you are talking about man... ;)

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because when I look at the losses in the playoffs, they aren't because of talent... So I take the problems that I see.

Vanilla plays

Those are some of the biggest things I saw in both games. The other teams weren't necessarily more talented. They just outplayed and out coached.

Those errors are all coaching. It wasn't like we didn't have anyone to keep up with Jon Brown. Or we were lacking in the secondary. They did fine. But for some reason Randall forgot his job in a key time. He is plenty talented enough to cover Fitz. Just didn't

I know the point you are trying to make with percentages, but you are wrong. I am saying the things that cost the Packers games in Playoffs were 100% coaching related not talent. It isn't 100% because you are talking about two different things. I blame playoff losses on the coach. Especially the way they have lost historically under MM. Could TT have done better in the draft... Sure, but so could every GM. Pats are playing with one of the worst offensive lines I have ever seen.

Would it help to have the NFC all stars all on one team? Of course. But every team has flaws and its the coaches job to hide them and play to their strengths. Not run quad curls with 5th string WR's.

No team has a perfect roster, you have to elevate that... That is why they get paid is to get the team to perform at optimal level. None of those playoff losses I could say, ya they were just waaay more talented. This isn't New England vs Jacksonville.

Look at Denver getting rid of Fox, Cavs getting rid of one of the most winning coaches of all time. 6th I believe. Why because they know championships are all that matters. LeBron will retire soon enough, Manning as he has will lose his arm. The talent isn't perfect on either team but they expect championships not close.

You use the same technique to refute over and over again. Try to blow it up to absurdity or make fun of the person in general. But never refute the actual problems that are the main point of the post. Try to pick one sentence or even 1 word out of post to make them look like they can't be trusted. You attack character instead of the problem especially when you can't refute it.

The Cardinals both offensively and defensively have more talent than the Packers.

Nearly winning in Arizona, who may be the best team in the league, was a pretty good coaching job to me, especially considering the Packers top 4 WRs were out.

Yes, every team in the league gets injuries, the Cardinals had a few too. When a lot happen at one position though, it's extremely difficult to overcome.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Vanilla plays

Coach tells a player to do X or Y and player doesnt do it and gets burned..Coach then says again do X or Y, do not screw it up again, and player once again allows it to happen, is it really the coaches fault? Allowing Kap to run wild---I am pretty sure he told Walden to hold your side...But Walden still didnt listen and would get faked out..

Or the Bostick on side kick...He admitted coach AND Nelson told him not to touch it, to just clear out the path..but he still didnt do it......

Who do you blame?? You still wish to blame the coach?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coach tells a player to do X or Y and player doesnt do it and gets burned..Coach then says again do X or Y, do not screw it up again, and player once again allows it to happen, is it really the coaches fault? Allowing Kap to run wild---I am pretty sure he told Walden to hold your side...But Walden still didnt listen and would get faked out..

Or the Bostick on side kick...He admitted coach AND Nelson told him not to touch it, to just clear out the path..but he still didnt do it......

I'll come up with something specific. Seahawks look at film on special teams and realize Brad Jones sells out every single time for block on FG, and realize they can exploit that for an easy TD. So far as for the Seahawks to say they wouldn't have run the fake if Jones weren't on the field.

He's gone, but that was completely and entirely on Slocum for not recognizing and correcting that flaw. Much more so on him than the onside kick.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, do you see the Patriots make those errors?

No because it is beat into their heads what they do.. Or the consequences. I bet if you told him before that play. Or in practice if you catch this ball you no longer have a job. Bet he doesn't try to catch it.

Sky King

Reaction score
I'll come up with something specific. Seahawks look at film on special teams and realize Brad Jones sells out every single time for block on FG, and realize they can exploit that for an easy TD. So far as for the Seahawks to say they wouldn't have run the fake if Jones weren't on the field.

He's gone, but that was completely and entirely on Slocum for not recognizing and correcting that flaw. Much more so on him than the onside kick.
And kudos to Chad Morton, Seahawks ST assistant (who was MM's and Slocum's scapegoat the year before and was let go) for recognizing the opportunity. Revenge must have been sweet.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Yes thats true....But that doesnt answer my question, you only deflected...

Coach tells Bostick not to do it, Nelson told Bostick not to do it...So is it fall on coach? I say is more on player at THAT POINT

That is all on player....I think the moment was way to big for him and he let his instinct get best of him..

But as far the Brad Jones thing, yes that part falls on the coach

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am amazed. The God and the GOAT QB of all time are out of the playoffs. To a weak armed Manning. Fire him. Trade Brady. Only one Super Bowl win in the last 10 years with the best QB ever!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes thats true....But that doesnt answer my question, you only deflected...

Coach tells Bostick not to do it, Nelson told Bostick not to do it...So is it fall on coach? I say is more on player at THAT POINT

That is all on player....I think the moment was way to big for him and he let his instinct get best of him..

But as far the Brad Jones thing, yes that part falls on the coach

I agree the onside kick was all on Bostick. Instinctive human mistake but still a mistake.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am amazed. The God and the GOAT QB of all time are out of the playoffs. To a weak armed Manning. Fire him. Trade Brady. Only one Super Bowl win in the last 10 years with the best QB ever!

Think we have to be fair. "What have you done for me lately?" When the Pack wins next year and the Pats are **** out for the next four years, then we can start the talk.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's some truth in that, though. I mean, think about that. The Patriots are the absolute gold standard for being competitive year in and year out, right? I think we can all agree on that. Yet they've won a total of 1 SB since Rodgers was drafted in 2005.

Goes to show how hard it is to do and how there are no guarantees no matter who your QB is. Dan Marino was one of the greatest of his era, but he never won it.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I love how people, especially on these forums get more reved up about the Patriots losing than the Packers winning. Especially considering once again they made it further than us. Says a lot.

Also funny people change it too, well the last ten years they only won 1. Yeah, they also went to 2 more. So in their "downtime" they have still outclassed the Packers.

So lets compare...

New England - Only last 10 years cause evidently that is the only fair way to do here.
7 AFC Championship games
3 Super Bowls
1 Victory

Green Bay
3 NFC Championship games
1 Super Bowl
1 Victory

So on this "off time" that everyone complains about New England... They had 2 miracle losses some of the best moments in NFL history in the Super Bowl..... a 16-0 season that was 1 catch away from perfection. 1 Victory, and 7 out of 10 years in the AFC Championship game. In the last five years their earliest exit was AFC Championship game. Do you know how ridiculous that is!

To hit that number for Green bay you would have to add all the seasons between present and 1967. Please don't compare these two teams right now. One will go down as one of the greatest dynasties of all-time. And the Packers aren't even in the mix. As of right now they are a 1 year wonder.

Love my Packers, but it isn't fair to even put them in the same league as the Patriots.

Tacklynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love how people, especially on these forums get more reved up about the Patriots losing than the Packers winning.

I'm reved the Patriots lost because I think the 50th Super Bowl should not have a team in it--much less a winner--that has been caught cheating twice. It would dishonor the institution. So I am glad the Patriots are out of the running on moral grounds.

Please don't compare these two teams right now. One will go down as one of the greatest dynasties of all-time. And the Packers aren't even in the mix. As of right now they are a 1 year wonder.

Love my Packers, but it isn't fair to even put them in the same league as the Patriots.

I agree about the Patriot Dynasty being one of the greatest of all times and in a league of their own, which makes the 2 cheating scandals all the more disturbing. The stupid egotistic actions by a few people have marred that dynasty, just as steroid use has marred the accomplishments of great individual athletes. IMO, of course.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Minor point: It was Quarless, not Nelson who said this to Bostick right before the kick, “I got this guy, you got this guy,” he said. “You know your assignment?” Bostick replied, “Yeah, I got this.” Right before the play Quarless pointed out the guy Bostick was supposed to block. It's no coincidence the player who recovered the ball was that guy. (Nelson was designated to catch the ball.)
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/26/brandon-bostick-nfc-championship-game-onside-kick

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that the Packers overall playoff record with McCarthy and Rodgers should be better, I mostly blame that on lack of talent at some important positions than on coaching.

In the last three seasons we could have a minimum of three more wins if 3 players would have made one more play each. Three players, three plays, three more wins minimum and maybe another SB or two to go with them. I know all the fire TT or fire MM fans say close doesn't count but in some ways it does. How can a team that is poorly coached and is run by a poor GM and has nothing but poor players on its roster be so consistently in a position to win playoff games. Not just get to those games and get blown out but to be in a position to win them late in the game.

This team has lost in the playoffs the last three years but to hear some fans tell it they have gotten blown out in each and every one of those games. that is simply not the case. People point to the 5 playoff losses in 7 years on the last play as proof that the coaching staff and/or the GM has failed. I think its more the opposite. The coach and the GM have gotten the team about as far as a coach and GM can get it. At some point players have to make plays and a few select players didn't make plays in those games. Its not even bad players that screwed up its good players or inexperienced players that made bad plays. To blame that on the coaches and the GM I think is just wrong.

Just so you don't think I am letting TT and MM off the hook completely I do think TT could be a bit more aggressive in his free agent pursuits. I do think MM lets up way to soon. Either that or he can't make adjustments to the other teams adjustments. On those issues I do say they leave something to be desired. Still having your team there at the end has to count for something.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love how people, especially on these forums get more reved up about the Patriots losing than the Packers winning. Especially considering once again they made it further than us. Says a lot.

Also funny people change it too, well the last ten years they only won 1. Yeah, they also went to 2 more. So in their "downtime" they have still outclassed the Packers.

So lets compare...

New England - Only last 10 years cause evidently that is the only fair way to do here.
7 AFC Championship games
3 Super Bowls
1 Victory

Green Bay
3 NFC Championship games
1 Super Bowl
1 Victory

So on this "off time" that everyone complains about New England... They had 2 miracle losses some of the best moments in NFL history in the Super Bowl..... a 16-0 season that was 1 catch away from perfection. 1 Victory, and 7 out of 10 years in the AFC Championship game. In the last five years their earliest exit was AFC Championship game. Do you know how ridiculous that is!

To hit that number for Green bay you would have to add all the seasons between present and 1967. Please don't compare these two teams right now. One will go down as one of the greatest dynasties of all-time. And the Packers aren't even in the mix. As of right now they are a 1 year wonder.

No one was comparing the Packers to the Patriots and I agree that the success of the Patriots this century is unsurpassed. The point was simply how difficult it is to win a Super Bowl as evidenced by the Patriots having just one win in the last 11 SBs despite their level of prestige and success.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have been outscored in the second half in only three of the seven playoff losses under McCarthy.

In the last three seasons we could have a minimum of three more wins if 3 players would have made one more play each. Three players, three plays, three more wins minimum and maybe another SB or two to go with them. I know all the fire TT or fire MM fans say close doesn't count but in some ways it does. How can a team that is poorly coached and is run by a poor GM and has nothing but poor players on its roster be so consistently in a position to win playoff games. Not just get to those games and get blown out but to be in a position to win them late in the game.

This team has lost in the playoffs the last three years but to hear some fans tell it they have gotten blown out in each and every one of those games. that is simply not the case. People point to the 5 playoff losses in 7 years on the last play as proof that the coaching staff and/or the GM has failed. I think its more the opposite. The coach and the GM have gotten the team about as far as a coach and GM can get it. At some point players have to make plays and a few select players didn't make plays in those games. Its not even bad players that screwed up its good players or inexperienced players that made bad plays. To blame that on the coaches and the GM I think is just wrong.

Just so you don't think I am letting TT and MM off the hook completely I do think TT could be a bit more aggressive in his free agent pursuits. I do think MM lets up way to soon. Either that or he can't make adjustments to the other teams adjustments. On those issues I do say they leave something to be desired. Still having your team there at the end has to count for something.

Thompson has provided the Packers with enough talent to constantly get to the playoffs but the team has lacked talent at several key positions over the last few years which prevented them from further advancing in the playoffs. I mostly blame him for not using all methods available to improve the team, mostly ignoring free agency and trades.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

So lets compare...

7 AFC Championship games
3 Super Bowls
1 Victory

Green Bay
3 NFC Championship games
1 Super Bowl
1 Victory

I don't think we can safely say the Patriots "earned" all of those victories. It has now been revealed that their cheating lasted at least 7 years and definitely in more than 40 games. http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we can safely say the Patriots "earned" all of those victories. It has now been revealed that their cheating lasted at least 7 years and definitely in more than 40 games. http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

And in 2015 they won without deflated balls without signals... If you are gullible enough to believe that those video tapes of signals weren't being done by other teams at the same time i feel sorry for you.

There was a memo that went out to the whole league to stop because everyone was doing. Many former players and coaches have admitted afterwards to doing the same thing.

And deflate gate was an even bigger joke. The Patriots could have won that game with a beachball. Winning by 38 had nothing to do with the pressure of the ball. And they won the super bowl the week after against a much better team.

Are you the type that also believe no NFL players are using HGH? Except for the 1 or 2 caught each year in the "random" 2% testing lol.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
And in 2015 they won without deflated balls without signals... If you are gullible enough to believe that those video tapes of signals weren't being done by other teams at the same time i feel sorry for you.

There was a memo that went out to the whole league to stop because everyone was doing. Many former players and coaches have admitted afterwards to doing the same thing.

And deflate gate was an even bigger joke. The Patriots could have won that game with a beachball. Winning by 38 had nothing to do with the pressure of the ball. And they won the super bowl the week after against a much better team.

Are you the type that also believe no NFL players are using HGH? Except for the 1 or 2 caught each year in the "random" 2% testing lol.

The recent reports, however, show that the Patriots did it to an extent unprecedented and for a much longer time. I am one who thinks a large part of their success has been gained through surreptitious means.

Latest posts