Matthews disappointed about not getting DMVP

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews was asked about Polamalu getting the DMVP award over him...my impression was that it DID bother him...he said he received 15 texts all saying "Congrats" & then followed with "Sorry"...in my opinion it seemed to kind of hit a small nerve on Clay...but he did say he's happy for Troy especially since he was a fellow Trojan

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm disappointed too as are a lot of fans. I was joking when I was talking about protesting if he didn't get it because at the time I thought he already had it. I don't even know who we could protest to or if it will do any good but I don't want to make ***** out of ourselves or have this in any way reflect negatively on Clay. Therefore I'm putting down the torches and pitchforks. I think the best think Clay could do, is show them on Sunday who the real DPOY is. If anything, this could make Clay play even harder than usual because it will give him something to prove. I fully expect the Claymaker to come out there with both barrels blazing. On the warpath! Big Ben beware!

Preacher

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, that is why press idiots should keep their mouth shut until official announcements are made.

Sucks for Clay Matthews. He's put in a tough spot, and then expected to be completely cordial. At this level of the game, when contract money's are often tied in with this type of thing, it says a lot about a man if they can be graceful when this happens to them.

As far as DPOY is concerned, I think it was Troy's big game-changing plays that did it over Clay. On top of that, IMO, it takes more for one of the front seven to win on defense than a DB- for the same reason it takes more for a OL to be recognized than a QB or WR. It's simply the matter of their assignments.

Doesn't matter in the end, he is still a special player.

Bart

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ye it sucks, cause i also thought he would win it, but congrats to polamalu tho.

But Matthews will just prove in the SB, that he should had won it, after have sacked big ben 6 times :)

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he was more annoyed that he was told by 15 people that he had it thanks to faulty information being leaked before the official announcement was made. It became a huge let down akin to thinking you're finally going to get to go all the way, only to have her change her mind at the last minute.

BoilerUp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what Clay does is much more impressive. Troy gets to hang back and catch interceptions and blow receivers up that are looking at the ball in the air, or he gets to come unblocked on the outside or up the middle.

Clay gets held and double teamed nearly every single play of every single game which opens up stuff for the other linebackers and Raji.

I just think he impacts the game overall much more than Troy.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ye it sucks, cause i also thought he would win it, but congrats to polamalu tho.

But Matthews will just prove in the SB, that he should had won it, after have sacked big ben 6 times :)
That would be awesome.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too many reporters jumped the gun, including Journal Sentential and ESPN Milwaukee guys, as well as ProFootballTalk dude (who is a jerk btw)

Reaction score
It's almost as if it was a conspiracy designed to get into his head. I know he'd rather have a ring anyway. He has quite a few years to win DPOTY.

The media is doing everything to give The Steelers special treatment. Let's see who gets the MVP though. I think Rodgers has a shot.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
2 things:

1. I think he was more ticked off that everyone was saying it was him, preemptively, so he got his hopes up. Then they announced it. I'd be fuming if that'd been me.

2. All the more reason for him to show the world why it should've been him on Sunday. GO CLAY GO!!!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too many reporters jumped the gun, including Journal Sentential and ESPN Milwaukee guys, as well as ProFootballTalk dude (who is a jerk btw)

In PFT's defense, he was quoting the sources who actually broke the story, not reporting it on his own.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also don't like that guy still, since he JUMPED all over Rodgers weeks ago

Yeah, that's understandable. I lost a TON of respect for him after the way he handled that non-issue. His "Last word" was even more self serving and obnoxious, so much so that I couldn't do much more than roll my eyes and flip the bird at his "apology."

That said, I still believe in being fair and calling things as they are. Yes, he perpetuated the rumor about Clay winning the DPOY, but he didn't invent it, and cited his sources who had it wrong. I did exactly that same thing when I broke the story on the Footballpros.com site, so I'm not going to hang him for it.

I also feel he's got a great site for general NFL news, even discussing and clarifying, in detail, certain legal issues in the NFL. I don't have time to follow the myriads of websites dedicated to the league, so having a place that consolidates the goings on of the league in one place is a great resource.

So- total internet hack *********? Yup.
Good source for league wide news and tid bits? Yup.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Yeah, that's understandable. I lost a TON of respect for him after the way he handled that non-issue. His "Last word" was even more self serving and obnoxious, so much so that I couldn't do much more than roll my eyes and flip the bird at his "apology."

That said, I still believe in being fair and calling things as they are. Yes, he perpetuated the rumor about Clay winning the DPOY, but he didn't invent it, and cited his sources who had it wrong. I did exactly that same thing when I broke the story on the Footballpros.com site, so I'm not going to hang him for it.

I also feel he's got a great site for general NFL news, even discussing and clarifying, in detail, certain legal issues in the NFL. I don't have time to follow the myriads of websites dedicated to the league, so having a place that consolidates the goings on of the league in one place is a great resource.

So- total internet hack *********? Yup.
Good source for league wide news and tid bits? Yup.
You have to draw the line somewhere. It's become a matter of principle. Sure the a** is a good source of information, but Michael Vick is a fantastic QB and I stand my position that he does NOT belong in the NFL.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
its like finding a ********* at the bar, talking to her, having a good time, driving her to your place, going up to your bedroom, her getting in her birthday clothes, and discovering male genitalia. And it's not yours.

Fixed your post. :happy0005:

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
You can take TheSnowPlow out of the U.S. Navy, but you can't take the U.S. Navy out of TheSnowPlow. :wink:

At least I used language a little more delicate than I normally do.

It's probably because I'm wearing a tie. :wave:

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone would be disappointed, but he has a long career ahead of him and another game this season to prove who was most deserving.

Members online

Latest posts