Matthews could have been a Patriot

PatsAddict

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big mistake by the Pats considering pass rush has been such an issue for them. Good outside LBs to rush the passer in the 3-4 are hard to find. They missed on him.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its also written by a former packers beat writer if anyone didnt catch that

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh my Lord, we got lucky, real lucky. The Patriots don't make draft pick mistakes like that often, if ever. Say what you will about Bill, but knows what he is doing. I guess T.T. knows better though! I bet they are hating themselves for letting an All Pro line backer and possibly DPOY slip right through their fingers and land in GB. I kind of want to tease the Pats mercilessly but the greater part of me is content to just thank God to see him line up on D wearing green and gold.

SteveK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews is great already and will only get better, so in that regard I wish the Pats -- I'm a Pats fan -- had him.

However, I don't agree with the writer who implies, but doesn't out and out state, that the four guys the Pats ultimately got in the deal can't ultimately equal one Pro Bowl LB. TE Gronkowski is a potential Pro Bowler, but this is just his first year; WR Tate is now a solid player, and is only in his first year (injured all of his rookie year); Edelman all but ran back two punts for TDs against the Bears; and CB Butler should be a solid player, although he was demoted to second team this year.

I think both teams won.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've written before:
Not any one team will have a perfect player in every single position.
The Patsies are spoiled as they are.
Which is why we deserve to have Matthews and other good players.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've written before:
Not any one team will have a perfect player in every single position.
The Patsies are spoiled as they are.
Which is why we deserve to have Matthews and other good players.

60s packers?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
60s packers?
In every single position or the majority of them?

If that did happen, then I stand corrected.

It is a rare thing, though.

And to my understanding, it took Vince to come along and to bring the talent out of those guys.
How the heck did he do that?
How was Vince able to transform a losing team into winners?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In every single position or the majority of them?

If that did happen, then I stand corrected.

It is a rare thing, though.

And to my understanding, it took Vince to come along and to bring the talent out of those guys.

did you see the hbo special? That would answer most of the questions about the coach.

QB - Starr
HB - Hornung
FB - Taylor
WR - Dowler
WR - McGee
TE - Kramer (Ron)
LT - Skoronski
LG - Thurston
C- Ringo
RG - Kramer
RT - Gregg

On the offense alone they had 5 Hall of Famers, 6 if you count Kramer. Ron Kramer made all pro that year as well.

Defense had 5 1st team all pro players and 5 future Hall of Famers. some of those cross over but you get the picture. It was the most talent that I can think of thats every been on one team.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

did you see the hbo special? That would answer most of the questions about the coach.
Yes I did. It was an awesome and well put together doc.

So how did Vince do that? Motivation? He sure lit a fire under Bart Starrs you-know-what.
(I may have to re-watch it again.)
It really is amazing what Vince did for the Packers.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh my Lord, we got lucky, real lucky. The Patriots don't make draft pick mistakes like that often, if ever. Say what you will about Bill, but knows what he is doing. I guess T.T. knows better though! I bet they are hating themselves for letting an All Pro line backer and possibly DPOY slip right through their fingers and land in GB. I kind of want to tease the Pats mercilessly but the greater part of me is content to just thank God to see him line up on D wearing green and gold.
The only other trade that TT did with Belichek, is TT traded back in
2006 in the 2nd round, Pick 36 for picks 52 and 75. Belicheat took Chad Jackson, a WR who was out of the NFL within 3 years. TT took Greg Jennings at 52 and Jason Spitz at 75. Spitz alone was worth more than Chad, but throw in Jennings and its a very lopsided deal.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in New England and I haven't met more obnoxious sports fans than Boston and Pats fans. It is terrible.

What makes it worse is they have no clue what they are talking about.

Members online

Latest posts