Marco Rivera is retiring

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Cowboys G Marco Rivera, 34, is expected to announce his retirement after a second back surgery in January.

Rivera spoke earlier in the offseason about making a comeback, but that apparently won't happen. Packers GM Ted Thompson was vilified two years ago for not paying huge bucks to retain Rivera, but he turned into a major mistake by the Cowboys.

he is done

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
yeah could have kept him...could have kept anyone..But say they did and sign him to what Dallas did or even some what less..

Would it been worth all that money to only get one really good season out of him?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know i was thinking how much did the guy have left when he left here. My hats off to him though, he got his big payday before he retired.
He gave all he had to try to play, and i guess he can't do it anymore.
I hope he can lead a somewhat "normal" life once he recovers.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah could have kept him...could have kept anyone..But say they did and sign him to what Dallas did or even some what less..

Would it been worth all that money to only get one really good season out of him?

Rivera was horrible in Dallas. He struggled a lot and wasn't near the value of his money. Age and Injuries just caught up with him.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packer brass knew he was on his last legs, thus NOT giving him a big payday here. Looks like we dodged an expensive bullet there.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Packers GM Ted Thompson was vilified two years ago for not paying huge bucks to retain Rivera, but he turned into a major mistake by the Cowboys.
Well, this so much for TT 'wanting to run Brett out of town'. Maybe this was actually foresight? I mean, we hear a lot of complaining about 3 rookies on the oline last year, even though we still managed to go 8-8, but what if we had to start another one next year? Say Tausch and Cliffy are both banged up for a couple games, and who do we have there now? Well, there's a good liklihood it'd be 3 rookies next year, rather than last.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Packers GM Ted Thompson was vilified two years ago for not paying huge bucks to retain Rivera, but he turned into a major mistake by the Cowboys.
Well, this so much for TT 'wanting to run Brett out of town'. Maybe this was actually foresight? I mean, we hear a lot of complaining about 3 rookies on the oline last year, even though we still managed to go 8-8, but what if we had to start another one next year? Say Tausch and Cliffy are both banged up for a couple games, and who do we have there now? Well, there's a good liklihood it'd be 3 rookies next year, rather than last.
Nah....it COULDN'T be TT having foresight!!!
(End sarcasm!) :rotflmao: :thumbsup:

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

This leads me into a thought I've wanted to bounce around the board for a while. What would you boys say to packaging Clifton with the 16th pick to move up and snag Adrian Peterson. The o-line would be

LT - College
LG - Spitz
C - Wells
RG - Moll
RT - Tausch

I am not endorsing this either way, but it is just something that has been on my mind since I saw Clifton wearing ice bags on his knees last preseason.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
longtimefan said:

This leads me into a thought I've wanted to bounce around the board for a while. What would you boys say to packaging Clifton with the 16th pick to move up and snag Adrian Peterson. The o-line would be

LT - College
LG - Spitz
C - Wells
RG - Moll
RT - Tausch

I am not endorsing this either way, but it is just something that has been on my mind since I saw Clifton wearing ice bags on his knees last preseason.

I think that would be OKAY, however , radio show out of Denver is confirming that the Pack and S.D are in talks to swap picks and Turner comes here..

This is the post I came across....

Jim Armstrong who is a sports writer for the Denver Post and talk show host for "950 The Fan" here in Denver, is originally from Wisconsin with alot of ties back there just reported "his sources" are telling him that a trade is in the works with the Chargers.

Basically that deal he is reporting is that the you guys get Turner and the 30th and the Chargers get your 16th.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, that was no surprise to me. Any Packers that leave the team are cursed with their new ones. We get the last laugh once again.

longtimefan said:

Rivera was horrible in Dallas. He struggled a lot and wasn't near the value of his money. Age and Injuries just caught up with him.

Sounds like Sharper.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
pack_in_black said:
longtimefan said:

LT - College
LG - Spitz
C - Wells
RG - Moll
RT - Tausch

I think that would be OKAY, however , radio show out of Denver is confirming that the Pack and S.D are in talks to swap picks and Turner comes here..

This is the post I came across....

Jim Armstrong who is a sports writer for the Denver Post and talk show host for "950 The Fan" here in Denver, is originally from Wisconsin with alot of ties back there just reported "his sources" are telling him that a trade is in the works with the Chargers.

Basically that deal he is reporting is that the you guys get Turner and the 30th and the Chargers get your 16th.

I find this highly unlikely. The Chargers would be moving up 14 spots and giving away a gem. It would seem to me there would be a line of teams who could give the Chargers a sweeter deal

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That would be incredible, but I'm not going to let myself get excited about any more rumors until Adam Schefter reports it.....

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Pyle and pack...

I just happen to read that post minutes before reading Dakotas question bout trading for A.P, thought since it dealt the packers 16 like Daks; wanted to bring it out

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pyle and pack...

I just happen to read that post minutes before reading Dakotas question bout trading for A.P, thought since it dealt the packers 16 like Daks; wanted to bring it out

Naw, man-I wasn't ungrateful for your report or anything, it's really exciting, actually! :thumbsup: I just got myself so jakked about the Randy Rumor that now, when nothing happens I feel sad every time I check NFL.com and don't see anything....

Members online

Latest posts