Eliot Wolf / John Dorsey GM threads?/ Browns - Steelers fight

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a recent article by cbs sports that seemed to hint towards McCarthy's job being safe, but maybe less so for everyone else, the final sentence really took me by surprise:

"Packers director of football operations Eliot Wolf, son of former Packers Hall of Fame exec Ron Wolf, will pursue outside options as well this offseason, sources said, as his star has been on the rise and he is someone other franchises have been interested in interviewing in the past."

I had assumed at this point he was the defacto-GM in waiting, but apparently it is not yet that clear. With injuries ravaging our roster with little added help on a roster that already seemed to lack talent at some key positions that were more successful in years past, it begs the question. Would it be a mistake to let Eliot Wolf walk to continue with aging Ted Thompson?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/p...d-be-a-surprise-front-office-changes-in-play/

D

Deleted member 6794

Would it be a mistake to let Eliot Wolf walk to continue with aging Ted Thompson?

There's no guarantee Eliot Wolf will turn into a decent general manager but with the Packers having seemingly planned on him becoming Thompson's successor for several years it might be time to finally pass the torch before he ends up with a different organization.

D

Deleted member 6794

As I recall they already "re-upped" him earlier this year.

The Packers promoted Wolf to director of football operations in March but that won't prevent him from leaving for the general manager job with another team.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Certainly nobody can be sure that Wolf would be a better GM, but it's clear in my mind that the aging Ted Thompson with his nearly pure draft and develop philosophy needs to go.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be a huge mistake...the fact that they would even let Wolfe consider leaving to wait for TT to retire irks me all in itself. They let Schneider walk..if not for a boneheaded call on the goal line he has two rings. I'd hate to se Wolfe got to somewhere like Chicago or San Francisco and turn them into contenders.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Eliot wants to be the next Packers' GM and knows he's their guy so I doubt he'll be that tempted to move elsewhere any time soon.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no way for any of us to know how good of GM Wolf would be.

I highly doubt this thread exists or Wolf would get much fan attention if he had a different last name.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a recent article by cbs sports that seemed to hint towards McCarthy's job being safe, but maybe less so for everyone else, the final sentence really took me by surprise:

"Packers director of football operations Eliot Wolf, son of former Packers Hall of Fame exec Ron Wolf, will pursue outside options as well this offseason, sources said, as his star has been on the rise and he is someone other franchises have been interested in interviewing in the past."

I had assumed at this point he was the defacto-GM in waiting, but apparently it is not yet that clear. With injuries ravaging our roster with little added help on a roster that already seemed to lack talent at some key positions that were more successful in years past, it begs the question. Would it be a mistake to let Eliot Wolf walk to continue with aging Ted Thompson?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/p...d-be-a-surprise-front-office-changes-in-play/

I don't buy that he's the one calling the shots, I'm pretty sure Ted is still the boss here.

OP
OP
Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I highly doubt this thread exists or Wolf would get much fan attention if he had a different last name.
I made the thread with a little different goal in mind. Given the successes of former front office staff heads under Thompson and close colleagues in Seattle, Oakland, Kansas City and Washington (I believe) would letting the opportunity for Wolfe to walk the equivelant of giving up (Schneider, Mckenzie, Dorsey, McCloughan) for a year or two of Thompson in all probability attempting a quick rebuild?

OP
OP
Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for the title of this thread:

Who knows? What has he done?
Correct. We for the most part don't know what the future holds for Wolfe. Basing the question purely off past, albeit recent evidence.
I made the thread with a little different goal in mind. Given the successes of former front office staff heads under Thompson and close colleagues in Seattle, Oakland, Kansas City and Washington (I believe) would letting the opportunity for Wolfe to walk the equivelant of giving up (Schneider, Mckenzie, Dorsey, McCloughan) for a year or two of Thompson in all probability attempting a quick rebuild?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no guarantee Eliot Wolf will turn into a decent general manager but with the Packers having seemingly planned on him becoming Thompson's successor for several years it might be time to finally pass the torch before he ends up with a different organization.
First they need to pass that torch around the locker room to light their butts on fire to get them going.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
With the current state of the Packers, I'm not so sure how Eliot would view this job now. Either as a challenge he wants to undertake or as a hot mess he wants to get far away from.

No doubt in my mind that if the season ended today, there would be a clean sweep from TT down. I'm also not so sure that a few wins from here on out will save anybody's job as well.

Whoever the GM is, they are going to have to take a long hard look at the team that has been assembled and realize that the bottom quarter of the roster is pretty thin in talent and some key starting positions will need to be addressed as well.

I'm pretty convinced that we will be seeing a completely different team, at least in the front offices, come 2017.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are TT and MM immune from talking head discussion about being or should they be on the hot seat? Haven't heard much about them on national radio or tv. TT has screwed the pooch this year with D and D catching up to us with our injuries and no veteran FA signing to help

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Are TT and MM immune from talking head discussion about being or should they be on the hot seat? Haven't heard much about them on national radio or tv. TT has screwed the pooch this year with D and D catching up to us with our injuries and no veteran FA signing to help

Oh don't worry, their seats have been getting heated up in the National media for awhile now and it appears more people are lining up carrying firewood.

Last edited:

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I think letting Wolf walk would be a mistake. I would feel more comfortable with a young guy that has been with the team for 12 years and knows McCarthey, Rodgers and the system than a guy that was released from another team...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
TT and MM's contracts run through the 2018 Season, I don't think speeding the process up by 2 years will be an obstacle that Mark Murphy and the Board will have a problem with. The change was going to be happening, at least with TT, it just appears that it may happen sooner than expected.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't think Ted Thompson and McCarthy will be fired if anything don capers but even that he has all the injuries as his alibi

D

Deleted member 6794

While that's most likely true it seems the Packers seem to think highly of his work over the last 13 years to promote him several times. Taking a look at the current state of the Packers I would rather give him a chance to turn this team around that have Thompson give it a try.

H

HardRightEdge

While that's most likely true it seems the Packers seem to think highly of his work over the last 13 years to promote him several times. Taking a look at the current state of the Packers I would rather give him a chance to turn this team around that have Thompson give it a try.
I'd give that a qualified agree to that. Thompson has done a decent job, an average job, with a lot of ups and downs.

The investments made on the defensive side of the ball in recent years have not shown up on the field.

Each year there has been a significant talent deficit at one position or another that opponents have exploited.

This does not excuse Capers. He's gone from being unable to close games to unable to close first halves. That's a cultural deficit.

As for Wolf, who knows? He worked his way up a couple of notches on the pro personnel side, where he was mostly the Maytag repairman. The only noteable free agent signings in recent years were Peppers and Guion, and those appeared to be Thompson moves for guys he'd seen play a couple times per year over several years. Opponent scouting for game planning? Scrounging the waiver wire or the street for the practice squad? There's not a lot to go on.

If Wolf had a hand in the emergency moves for RBs, that is not especially auspicious.

I'd also be concerned that Wolf has not worked anywhere else. He's steeped in the "Packer Way", as defined by Thompson. Is that really what's wanted?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts