Manning wins MVP

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel bad for Chris Johnson, 2500 yards from scrimage (NFL Record), 2000 yards rushing, and not a single vote for MVP.

Four quarterbacks received all the votes, Manning, Brees, Rivers, Favre.

Congrats to Manning, definitly think he deserved it after 7 4th quarter comebacks this season. I think it was 7...

OP
OP
C

Cartunist23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I recall reading the first several pages of that thread. I dont usually keep up after 5 days

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel bad for Chris Johnson, 2500 yards from scrimage (NFL Record), 2000 yards rushing, and not a single vote for MVP.

Four quarterbacks received all the votes, Manning, Brees, Rivers, Favre.

Congrats to Manning, definitly think he deserved it after 7 4th quarter comebacks this season. I think it was 7...

I think these awards pretty much indicate that the QB position is, by far, the most important position on an NFL football team.

Now, if they could work on the players most deserving the of the MVP, they'd really be onto something.

Quick question - why is Favre lambasted for his playoff record (most of the time which didn't include a #1 or #2 seed), yet Manning is given reprieve after reprieve (most of his included a #1 or #2 seeding)???

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As the thread poster said so brilliantly, "Character matters". Manning is truly deserving of this award.

If BF had any character he would be playing in NY, but I guess a rookie had to do what he was unable to do or willing to do. Go Jets!!!!!!!!!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Chris Johnson had an outstanding season, it's hard to sell someone on the idea of a guy being named MVP of the league when his team finished 8-8 on the season and missed the playoffs.

I'm not saying he wasn't deserving of discussion as his stats speak for themselves. But his performance didn't help the Titans make the playoffs, which is why I think he was left out.

And I know, he doesn't play defense, special teams, QB or <insert position here.> Just pointing out that it's a tough sell.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As the thread poster said so brilliantly, "Character matters". Manning is truly deserving of this award.

If BF had any character he would be playing in NY, but I guess a rookie had to do what he was unable to do or willing to do. Go Jets!!!!!!!!!

Numbers matter - at least when Manning doesn't win the award.

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Oh yeah, numbers matter. Like the numbers of sportswriters that were "itching to vote for Favre". They cover more than the number of touchdowns a guy throws. They are in the locker room and they talk to and hear all the players and coaches. Maybe those things figure into their vote too. Character matters.

OP
OP
C

Cartunist23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it certainly has to be considered a tie breaker when one candidate is a model citizen, and the other leaves fan bases and coaches hating him

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yeah, numbers matter. Like the numbers of sportswriters that were "itching to vote for Favre". They cover more than the number of touchdowns a guy throws. They are in the locker room and they talk to and hear all the players and coaches. Maybe those things figure into their vote too. Character matters.

Well it certainly has to be considered a tie breaker when one candidate is a model citizen, and the other leaves fan bases and coaches hating him

If not, then a waffle or a flip-flop or a yo/yo would have won.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This made pretty clear what the majority thinks about Favre right now. He probably player his best season and only got one vote. If he did it with GB, he would've got a lot more, but because he went to Minneapolis, no such luck...

Still, he doesn't care about MVPs, as far as I'm concearned. He's all about the SB.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Not necessarily. That's what Offensive Player of the Year is for. Sure, stellar numbers are required, but you don't necessarily need the best numbers in the NFL to win MVP. It's the reason Chris Johnson will win OPOY but didn't get a single MVP vote.

MVP, me thinks, measures a players value to their team more than it measures numbers. Take Manning away from Indy, they might win 4 or 5 games. The Vikings won 10 games last year without Favre.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
MVP, me thinks, measures a players value to their team more than it measures numbers. Take Manning away from Indy, they might win 4 or 5 games. The Vikings won 10 games last year without Favre.

and that was my argument with him..

Said it numerous times...As soon as he Manning was pulled and the Colts lost that almost put the MVP in his pocket

**forgot to include the 5 straight comeback wins....

Its such a HUGE deal for Brett to have one vs the Niners, so with Manning doing 4 more times in a row, isnt that something just freakish?**

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Said it numerous times...As soon as he Manning was pulled and the Colts lost that almost put the MVP in his pocket
Well that and a funny MC ad probably didn't hurt either.
"Coach said you got cut."

Burt did a funny ad too but that was way sooner.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

To be robbed it had to be in his possession at one point, and considering that Manning had 38 more votes Brett never got to sniff it

Members online