1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Manning wins MVP

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Cartunist23, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Cartunist23

Cartunist23 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
  2. Hauschild

Hauschild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +11
  3. JCpackers04

JCpackers04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +17
    I feel bad for Chris Johnson, 2500 yards from scrimage (NFL Record), 2000 yards rushing, and not a single vote for MVP.

Four quarterbacks received all the votes, Manning, Brees, Rivers, Favre.

Congrats to Manning, definitly think he deserved it after 7 4th quarter comebacks this season. I think it was 7...

4. Cartunist23

Cartunist23 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I recall reading the first several pages of that thread. I dont usually keep up after 5 days

5. Hauschild

Hauschild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +11
    I think these awards pretty much indicate that the QB position is, by far, the most important position on an NFL football team.

Now, if they could work on the players most deserving the of the MVP, they'd really be onto something.

Quick question - why is Favre lambasted for his playoff record (most of the time which didn't include a #1 or #2 seed), yet Manning is given reprieve after reprieve (most of his included a #1 or #2 seeding)???

6. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    As the thread poster said so brilliantly, "Character matters". Manning is truly deserving of this award.

If BF had any character he would be playing in NY, but I guess a rookie had to do what he was unable to do or willing to do. Go Jets!!!!!!!!!

7. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    While Chris Johnson had an outstanding season, it's hard to sell someone on the idea of a guy being named MVP of the league when his team finished 8-8 on the season and missed the playoffs.

I'm not saying he wasn't deserving of discussion as his stats speak for themselves. But his performance didn't help the Titans make the playoffs, which is why I think he was left out.

And I know, he doesn't play defense, special teams, QB or <insert position here.> Just pointing out that it's a tough sell.

8. Hauschild

Hauschild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +11
    Numbers matter - at least when Manning doesn't win the award.

9. PackAttackUK

PackAttackUK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +26
    Congrats to Peyton, he's a deserved MVP imo. I really like the guy

10. Ted's Zombie Army

Ted's Zombie Army Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Oh yeah, numbers matter. Like the numbers of sportswriters that were "itching to vote for Favre". They cover more than the number of touchdowns a guy throws. They are in the locker room and they talk to and hear all the players and coaches. Maybe those things figure into their vote too. Character matters.

11. Cartunist23

Cartunist23 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Well it certainly has to be considered a tie breaker when one candidate is a model citizen, and the other leaves fan bases and coaches hating him

12. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,796
    If not, then a waffle or a flip-flop or a yo/yo would have won.

13. Hauschild

Hauschild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +11
    Favre wuz robbed. :(

14. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    This made pretty clear what the majority thinks about Favre right now. He probably player his best season and only got one vote. If he did it with GB, he would've got a lot more, but because he went to Minneapolis, no such luck...

Still, he doesn't care about MVPs, as far as I'm concearned. He's all about the SB.

15. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +473
    Not necessarily. That's what Offensive Player of the Year is for. Sure, stellar numbers are required, but you don't necessarily need the best numbers in the NFL to win MVP. It's the reason Chris Johnson will win OPOY but didn't get a single MVP vote.

MVP, me thinks, measures a players value to their team more than it measures numbers. Take Manning away from Indy, they might win 4 or 5 games. The Vikings won 10 games last year without Favre.

16. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,478
    and that was my argument with him..

Said it numerous times...As soon as he Manning was pulled and the Colts lost that almost put the MVP in his pocket

**forgot to include the 5 straight comeback wins....

Its such a HUGE deal for Brett to have one vs the Niners, so with Manning doing 4 more times in a row, isnt that something just freakish?**

17. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,796
    Well that and a funny MC ad probably didn't hurt either.
    "Coach said you got cut."

Burt did a funny ad too but that was way sooner.

18. Hauschild

Hauschild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +11
    Favre wuz robbed! :(

19. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,478
    Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

To be robbed it had to be in his possession at one point, and considering that Manning had 38 more votes Brett never got to sniff it