Making sense of our picks

Reaction score
I see why everyone is dissapointed we didn't get an ILB. I know I was. But where did we struggle last year? Defense and special teams. 2/3 picks were on defense. 3/3 can help our special teams. Not that surprised with how the overall flow of the draft has went for the Packers in that regard.

Hopefully this means Matthews is back at ILB next year which helps us put more of our best players out on the field at one time. That coupled with possible improvements from some guys like Carl Bradford and Joe Thomas as well as a possible addition of a day three guy for additional competition and depth could save the position for the year IMO.

Ted's got six day three picks tomorrow, and just like a fine wine he drafts better as the days and rounds go by compared to his peers so I think we will still likely see a couple contributors added to the roster yet. My guess is Ted drafts to fill the trenches now. He's never gone a year without drafting an offensive lineman and it helps to have a constant influx of youth at a position if you can't get one of the guys signed once their contracts start running out after 2017 or just for depth purposes. We could use depth on the defensive line as well. My hopes are that he goes in this direction, but I've learned to trust him in whatever direction he goes in the draft. Posters here will always point out the negatives he's had drafting but everyone has had negatives. His positives have ranked up there with just about anybody as far as talent acquisition through the draft goes, before even recognizing how late in the draft they consistently are picking from.
Precisely!
Your theory about immediate needs is very interesting. It would make sense that the bulk of players past round 3 won't be starters their 1st season anyway (they are current projects and future prospects) So beyond our 2 CB's picks the chances of those players significantly producing as a rookie diminish heavily on Defense as the rounds move downward.
Last year we filled our LB need by signing and converting Peppers to OLB. By seasons end, We improved our run D markedly by moving CM3 inside and adding Barrington and using Neal and Perry outside in a rotation. I believe LB Sam Barrington will improve slightly more again this year also. We actually have good depth at OLB and I believe 1-2 of those players, similar to Clay, could be a conversion plan.
That being said. It wouldn't hurt to find another proven ILB in the next few weeks that is efficient as a run stopper. When shopping you can't be afraid to walk away, many times the resulting terms are more favorable.
This is theory but there is still a pool of talent still unsigned that could compete to contribute to our D with just as reasonable results as a bottom round draft pick, as we've seen in past years. sometimes the results are even better.
These players become a real value during the coming weeks as they will naturally become anxious to sign through the by and by.
It doesn't hurt to take a stab at another one here.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/5/2/8537295/top-nfl-undrafted-free-agents-nfl-draft-2015

D

Deleted member 6794

This is theory but there is still a pool of talent still unsigned that could compete to contribute to our D with just as reasonable results as a bottom round draft pick, as we've seen in past years. sometimes the results are even better.
These players become a real value during the coming weeks as they will naturally become anxious to sign through the by and by.
It doesn't hurt to take a stab at another one here.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/5/2/8537295/top-nfl-undrafted-free-agents-nfl-draft-2015

Most of these pospects (aside of La'el Collins) signed with a team within some hours after the draft ended. Some like Ladarius Gunter, James Vaughters and John Crockett signed with the Packers.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy has reduced Kuhn's snap count significantly over the last few season to a point where he only played 10% of the snaps last season. In addition McCarthy has gone from having three fullbacks on the roster to only one since 2011. Even MM doesn't use a FB a lot anymore and while Ripkowski seems to be a talented guy I wonder why Thompson spent a draft pick on him.

The answer is probably special teams. This guy is a good special teams player! Moreover he will probably be used as the lead blocker in short yardage situations.

D

Deleted member 6794

The answer is probably special teams. This guy is a good special teams player! Moreover he will probably be used as the lead blocker in short yardage situations.

Do you think the Packers will either get rid of Kuhn or that Ripkowski will move ahead of him on the depth chart???

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think the Packers will either get rid of Kuhn or that Ripkowski will move ahead of him on the depth chart???

I think that the Packers might keep both. I think that the Packers will keep 5 tight ends/full backs (might be 4 or 6). I think that Rodgers and Quarless are locks. Therefore I think that Kuhn, Ripkowski, Backman and Perillo will be competing for the remaining 3 roster spots.

We kept Ryan Taylor on the roster for 3 and half years, and he played very few snaps from scrimmage. When he played from scrimmage, it was mostly in obvious running situations. I think Ripkowski might have a similar role this year, while he is groomed to become the starting fullback.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that the Packers might keep both. I think that the Packers will keep 5 tight ends/full backs (might be 4 or 6). I think that Rodgers and Quarless are locks. Therefore I think that Kuhn, Ripkowski, Backman and Perillo will be competing for the remaining 3 roster spots.

We kept Ryan Taylor on the roster for 3 and half years, and he played very few snaps from scrimmage. When he played from scrimmage, it was mostly in obvious running situations. I think Ripkowski might have a similar role this year, while he is groomed to become the starting fullback.
Agree with this. MM has inferred the TE and FB are equal in his offense. With that, having 4 TE's and one FB is about the same as 3 FB and 2 TE. If you want an H-back why not take the pick of the FB class instead of trying to convert a TE.

Mat Bastian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else feel like our defense just never gets to establish any sort of identity? I feel like every time we lose a piece, we replace it with another that just doesn't quite fit and are left learning to play a style that's just different enough to require an adjustment period.
I agree. It reminds me of the O-line a couple/few years ago where everyone was shuffling positions the line had no continuity or identity.

Reaction score
Most of these pospects (aside of La'el Collins) signed with a team within some hours after the draft ended. Some like Ladarius Gunter, James Vaughters and John Crockett signed with the Packers.
Thanks, yeah I see the list dwindling quickly. Have you seen Tavarus Dantzler? I found myself chuckling at many of his hits because he's explosive and finishes with some violence. I like this kid.. apparently we did too. What are your thoughts on him.. or do you have a particular outside shot you like?

D

Deleted member 6794

Thanks, yeah I see the list dwindling quickly. Have you seen Tavarus Dantzler? I found myself chuckling at many of his hits because he's explosive and finishes with some violence. I like this kid.. apparently we did too. What are your thoughts on him.. or do you have a particular outside shot you like?

The only thing I´ve seen about Dantzler is that he wasn´t even ranked in the top 1,000 prospects according to CBS and has never played in a 3-4 defense. I´m really intrigued by OLB James Vaughters and OL Matt Rotheram.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing I´ve seen about Dantzler is that he wasn´t even ranked in the top 1,000 prospects according to CBS and has never played in a 3-4 defense. I´m really intrigued by OLB James Vaughters and OL Matt Rotheram.

^^Yes, I really like his raw potential. I see and understand why he didn't get drafted prior to the end of it...but the more I look the more it surprises me no one took a 7th round flyer on the guy.

My two other flyers to fight for a spot would be the S Gunter (chalked full secondary though) and NT Lavon Hooks.

Members online

Latest posts