Making sense of our picks

Reaction score
There's not much to make sense of. TT takes value into account before need. Therefore, the guys he picked were better players to TT than the ILBs.
There's a difference between "taking value into account before need" and ignoring a glaring need in both free agency and the early rounds of the draft.
It's also possible TT has his eye on a late round ILB he thinks could be a steal.
I hope you're right and I hope he's right, but am I comfortable relying on a late round gamble starting at ILB from day one? Not one bit
TT definitly has a different board than most people.

Although, Randall was thought to go at 20 to the Eagles by an ESPN analyst and Kiper had him ranked at 31.
I heard the Patriots were interested at 32 as well

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a difference between "taking value into account before need" and ignoring a glaring need in both free agency and the early rounds of the draft.

I hope you're right and I hope he's right, but am I comfortable relying on a late round gamble starting at ILB from day one? Not one bit

I heard the Patriots were interested at 32 as well

Having a need doesn't justify passing up on better players just to fill the need. We also addressed other needs and we have four rounds left too.

I've never seen so much worry about a position that is really low as far as importance to a team.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've never seen so much worry about a position that is really low as far as importance to a team.

The ILB position is important in stopping the run and covering RBs and TEs. A lot of fans have rightfully wanted the position to be upgraded for two offseasons and Thompson hasn't done anything to improve it which IMO is inexplicable.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ILB position is important in stopping the run and covering RBs and TEs. A lot of fans have rightfully wanted the position to be upgraded for two offseasons and Thompson hasn't done anything to improve it which IMO is inexplicable.

The draft isn't even half over.

Also, if he had addressed it early, other positions would be weak points. Every single team in the league has a weak point or two. We are fortunate ours isn't at QB, pass rusher, LT, and hopefully not corner any longer.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews has stated to a lot of people close to him that he doesn't want to play inside anymore. While he maybe doesn't get his wish his production could drop being unhappy.
To which I say, "good" get pissed Clay, and play like it. He did look mad at times last year and I think he played better. I don't care if he's happy, I think he just plays harder, unlike a Raji, who'll just be content to take a check.

D

Deleted member 6794

Also, if he had addressed it early, other positions would be weak points. Every single team in the league has a weak point or two. We are fortunate ours isn't at QB, pass rusher, LT, and hopefully not corner any longer.

ILB has been in need of an upgrade for several years. The draft isn't the only way to acquire talent.

Reaction score

In terms of talent, the draft is more than half over. And we're not as strong at pass rusher as we should be if Clay's inside.

DC_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as the Hundley pick is concerned, I have a feeling the Bills were targeting Hundley in Round 5, which pushed the Packers to trade up with the Pats. While I can't say what the intentions are with Hundley and the Pack, it appears as though it was worth giving up our 166th and 247th picks and passing up on some other interesting defensive prospects.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like this pick. Maybe put a little read option into our offense to make defenses think. I would wait until we were up by 3 scores late in a game just to show other teams we have another weapon in our arsenal.

DC_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like with the additions of Hundley and the hybrid corners who can play safety or vice versa, our offensive and defensive playbooks expanded by a hundred pages.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as the Hundley pick is concerned, I have a feeling the Bills were targeting Hundley in Round 5, which pushed the Packers to trade up with the Pats. While I can't say what the intentions are with Hundley and the Pack, it appears as though it was worth giving up our 166th and 247th picks and passing up on some other interesting defensive prospects.

I almost thought...did the Bills pick a player we could seek a trade for... :)

DC_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Spikes sign anywhere? :D

Still available. Last I heard he reached out to the Vikings, but they passed on him. With the Vikes now adding Kendricks to their UCLA-like linebacker corps, I doubt anything happens with that story.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still available. Last I heard he reached out to the Vikings, but they passed on him. With the Vikes now adding Kendricks to their UCLA-like linebacker corps, I doubt anything happens with that story.

tell ya what if we don't see something come camp....Spikes would be a great 1 year signing for filling the box at times.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

We were all debating which one to get and didn't wind up with any of them. I am a little bummed.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were all debating which one to get and didn't wind up with any of them. I am a little bummed.

Haha, yeah, was kind of a bummer. Certainly not a **** draft. Got some good dudes and will be a great team again, but the draft was less than satisfying to this fan.

D

Deleted member 6794

Haha, yeah, was kind of a bummer. Certainly not a **** draft. Got some good dudes and will be a great team again, but the draft was less than satisfying to this fan.

I'm disappointed as well with the Packers not getting one of the top ILBs. But overall I think Thompson drafted mostly guys with a ton of upside.

Reaction score
I think it's worth mentioning that Christian Ringo (DE) is also listed as a long snapper, so there is another flexible player to add to the list.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I fear for the Packers run defense next season (even more so the season after when there's no NT on the roster) I think the first three picks were very solid overall. Not overly exciting but good picks in the modern NFL.

First pick is on probably the best single-high safety in the draft. The guy can flat out fly around the deep center in coverage. He can't help defend the run (see first paragraph) but he'll certainly help in the passing game.

Second pick on a guy who in his first year of football was one of the better corners in the draft. Think Sam Shields but WAY better out of college. If he can make the same kind of progress that Shields made in his first three years, this guy will be one of the better corners in the NFL.

Third pick was the running back that many have been looking for. Yeah, he's listed as a WR but he runs terrible routes and doesn't catch the ball well at all. However, the guy is flat out amazing with the ball in his hands and as a running back he would actually be counted a decent receiver. Reminds me of a slightly larger Shane Vereen.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah that was a question I had to was whether Montgomery was bad at catching passes or catching passes for a wide receiver. If it's the latter, he could still be A good pass catcher out of the back field for a running back.

As for the comparison above of Rolins to Shields, remember that Shields is much much faster. That is what Set his ceiling so high. With Rollins it's about teaching him to use his quickness to make up for his lack of speed.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah that was a question I had to was whether Montgomery was bad at catching passes or catching passes for a wide receiver. If it's the latter, he could still be A good pass catcher out of the back field for a running back.

As for the comparison above of Rolins to Shields, remember that Shields is much much faster. That is what Set his ceiling so high. With Rollins it's about teaching him to use his quickness to make up for his lack of speed.

The comparison to Shields was regarding the progress that he made in learning the position. Had nothing to do with physical traits.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yea people will just run the ball down our throats and control the clock and that "QB" will be on the sideline..and those DBS won't have to worry about the pass because teams won't have to haha. I watched the defending SB champs draft and they drafted for NEED. Guess that's why they've been to 6 SBS.