Lombardi replaced by Belichick?

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This.

I do think what BB has accomplished has been more difficult than what Lombardi accomplished. Like other have said, its a different era and there is simply a lot more to be aware of nowadays. Certainly what Lombardi did was amazing but I think it was easier to build a dominant team back then.

My problem with this is...How many times did Lombardi get caught cheating? O. BB is a good coach, no doubt. But I have no respect for him and would be furious if they even considered renaming the trophy...least of all, Belichick.

I am curious about his Coordinators though....I know a little of topic. I know Josh McDaniels went on to be a head coach for a while and Bill O'brien with the Texans. My question is...has he changed Defensive Coordinators at all?

Despite his questionable behaviors he seems to always have a pretty good group of assistant coaches.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My problem with this is...How many times did Lombardi get caught cheating? O. BB is a good coach, no doubt. But I have no respect for him and would be furious if they even considered renaming the trophy...least of all, Belichick.

I am curious about his Coordinators though....I know a little of topic. I know Josh McDaniels went on to be a head coach for a while and Bill O'brien with the Texans. My question is...has he changed Defensive Coordinators at all?

Despite his questionable behaviors he seems to always have a pretty good group of assistant coaches.

I don't think the trophy name should be changed at all. I just think BBs accomplishments were achieved in an era where his success is much more difficult to come by. As far as the cheating I think its overblown. The attitude from most people is "I hate the patriots so that means I think they cheated" and not "I hate the patriots because they cheated." I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of fans who keep bringing up the cheating thing would not feel the same way if it were their team that had been caught doing the exact same thing.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just think BBs accomplishments were achieved in an era where his success is much more difficult to come by.
Maybe so, but that's the main argument on Belichick's side. Fact is, Lombardi's regular season winning percentage and postseason winning percentage are better than's Belichick's. Fewer teams made the playoffs in the '60s also, so you might say it was harder to qualify for the playoffs then. Belichick has greater longevity, but Lombardi's teams were more dominant. You can't take either man out of his era, so it's impossible to directly compare them.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Patriots have had four different defensive coordinators during Belichick's tenure in Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Dean Pees and Matt Patricia.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe so, but that's the main argument on Belichick's side. Fact is, Lombardi's regular season winning percentage and postseason winning percentage are better than's Belichick's. Fewer teams made the playoffs in the '60s also, so you might say it was harder to qualify for the playoffs then. Belichick has greater longevity, but Lombardi's teams were more dominant. You can't take either man out of his era, so it's impossible to directly compare them.

Those are good arguments an I don't necessarily disagree with you. It is nearly impossible to predict how one person would perform under a completely different set of rules.

looking at it from a totally impartial standpoint one could ask whether VL could cope with all the nuances of today's game but you could ask the same about BB in VL's era. Conventional wisdom would say that since he is dealing with even more now he would have been as successful or even more so in the past but that may not be so. Even if we do think there is more to deal with now that doesn't mean a guy from now could do what the old guard did?

Its the same way with players. A common one we hear as Packer fans is Rice vs. Hutson and the Rice fans say he could play any time but Hutson couldn't compete now. We simply don't know that. All we know for sure is that both were dominant in their era just like VL and BB were/are great coaches.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What we do know is one got his first ever NFL head coaching job, took over a 1 win team, had a winning record his first year, played in the Championship game his second year and then won 5 Championships in 7 years. The other one was fired in his first head coaching job and in 23 seasons of being head coach in the NFL has tied St. Vincent.

Also, in his 10 years, Vince never, repeat, never had a losing season.

So there is that.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, there's that. Now, as to the contention that it's impossible to definitively compare apples and oranges...?:)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rename the trophy. Never, for all the reasons said previously. I'm also in favor of the Joe Paterno rule, that you never name a trophy/statue/etc after someone that is living. Look at all of these d-bags that people looked up to who are losing their careers right now.

Personally I believe that Belichik is a better coach. Lombardi was right up there as a coach but also did more for civil rights, the town of Green Bay, and the NFL overall than Belichik could ever do. That puts him forever over the top.

Members online

Latest posts