Lombardi replaced by Belichick?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I wonder if Bill Belichick's accomplishments have now surpassed our beloved Saint Vince. Has Belichick done better than Lombardi and should the trophy name be changed?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you must be kidding. hoody has his cheating reputation. all Lombardi did was win 5 championships (with 3 in-a-row) in his short time there, advance rights for blacks and **** on his team, become a sought after speaker concerning leadership in life and business.

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if Bill Belichick's accomplishments have now surpassed our beloved Saint Vince. Has Belichick done better than Lombardi and should the trophy name be changed?

In baseball Cy Young has been surpassed many time my mediocre pictchers should we rename that award every time a modern day pictcher sets a record? There is a historical link to the award and hence the name. So no it should not be renamed to the spygate trophy.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you must be kidding. hoody has his cheating reputation. all Lombardi did was win 5 championships (with 3 in-a-row) in his short time there, advance rights for blacks and **** on his team, become a sought after speaker concerning leadership in life and business.

Agree with all of this.

St.Vincent took over the laughingstock of the NFL, 1-10-1. Went 7-5 his first year, played for the NFL championship his second, won the next 2, finished 2nd in the division the next 2 years then became only the second coach to win 3 straight NFL Championships (some guy called Curly was the first). He won 5 Championships in his 7 years here.

As GBGary said, St. Vincent was color blind in reference to anyone’s race and blind to anyone’s ****** preference. Something not really normal in the late 50’s and early 60’s. He truly was a trend setter and leader of men and there is no one the trophy should be named after other than him.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remind me, how did whatever cheating occurred enable BB to be in seven SBs, win five, three in four years? Lombardi was clearly at the top of the heap in his era, BB is for this century.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
You're an agitator, croak. ;) in short, Lombardi's 5 World Championships in 7 years is the gold standard.

Not downplaying Belichek's accomplishments... but he's done it in 15...16...years? Kids and Patriots fans will support that but nothing happening prior to their birth, and/or the Patriots NOT stinking...didn't happen.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He won 5 Championships in his 7 years here.
Lombardi actually coached for nine years in Green Bay, winning the NFL Championship five times. Still, a pretty good record, and better than Belichick's. However, we're talking about two different eras here. I wouldn't think the Lombardi Trophy would ever be renamed, but I will say this: Belichick is the closest thing to Lombardi that I have seen since.

Lombardi had all those great quotes though. Does Belichick even have one memorable quote? I respect Lombardi on a whole bunch of levels, not just on winning football teams.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No.
Don't rename the trophy.
Just redesign it from being the obvious football.
It really is one of the worst looking trophies in sports.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Well I don’t think we should change the Lumbardi to Belicheick trophy but Belicheick has totally surpassed any Green Bay coach after Super Bowl 2

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's arguable BB has been more successful than Lombardi. Salary cap, parity, more teams now. I don't think BB has been better, but there's an argument to be made.

That being said, even if BB wins 8 more Super Bowls, the trophy should not be renamed.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re-name it after Bill Walsh first before BB.
For one thing, Walsh meets the requirement by being dead.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Let's wait till Bill cheats his way into 3 in row.

It's like a Saint vs Devil contest. I'm no angel, but still I know who I'm backing....

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi actually coached for nine years in Green Bay, winning the NFL Championship five times. Still, a pretty good record, and better than Belichick's. However, we're talking about two different eras here. I wouldn't think the Lombardi Trophy would ever be renamed, but I will say this: Belichick is the closest thing to Lombardi that I have seen since.

Lombardi had all those great quotes though. Does Belichick even have one memorable quote? I respect Lombardi on a whole bunch of levels, not just on winning football teams.

I may be wrong and this never happened but the only one I can think of was his response to one reporter with a muttered "what a stupid ****ing question"

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's arguable BB has been more successful than Lombardi. Salary cap, parity, more teams now. I don't think BB has been better, but there's an argument to be made.

That being said, even if BB wins 8 more Super Bowls, the trophy should not be renamed.

This.

I do think what BB has accomplished has been more difficult than what Lombardi accomplished. Like other have said, its a different era and there is simply a lot more to be aware of nowadays. Certainly what Lombardi did was amazing but I think it was easier to build a dominant team back then.

H

HardRightEdge

There's a strong argument for that, I'm afraid, from an outcomes perspective.

- 32 teams in competition instead of 14 - 16
- free agency + salary cap
- 3 or 4 playoff wins for a championship instead of 1

However, there is a mythology surrounding Lombardi that Hoodie will never achieve. Think of the Lombardi aphorisms still quoted today with messages reaching beyond the game. "Battles are won primarily in the hearts of men", for example. Hoodie gave us, "do your job". Lombard has a larger than life aspect to him. Hoodie is the ultimate football technocrat.

But there's one thing in particular that's hard to get around: Hoodie (and his "GOAT" QB) cheated. More than once. And he got draft picks taken away to document the fact. And those were the times he was caught. When you have a serial cheater one must consider whether there were other infractions not detected. Were his known infractions somewhat trivial in the great scheme of things? Pretty much. But did he cheat? Yes, he did.

H

HardRightEdge

If anybody is wondering if they'll re-name the trophy after Belichick someday, that's not anything I'd consider plausible.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be happy with renaming it....only if it gets redesigned too.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Belichek has won his 5 championships in 17 years, not the 10 Lombardi did. Also if I remember right Lombardi was never fired in Cleveland.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All good (except I don't understand the firing connection), but, as has already been mentioned, it's a lot tougher to assemble and keep the band together with many more teams, a salary cap, free agency, and a union. Heck, the NFL really had only been a 'thing' less than a decade before Vince took over.

Members online

Latest posts