Lombardi History?

kentb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi, I'm working for a design firm that is doing research for the new Broadway show "Lombardi". Consequently, we're researching Lombardi's life and times, Green Bay, etc. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some specific question: does anyone know what bar(s) The Packers and/or Lombardi would have frequented at that time? What about pictures of Lombardi's ranch style home? Does anybody know what the stadium seating and or lights looked like at that time? And finally, is there any place online or otherwise that might have imagery of the players tunnel at Lambeau Field from that era? Thank you SO much in advance for any help you might be able to provide. Anything else you think might be important to consider when doing the scenery for this show would be greatly appreciated. We want to get it right.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Union Hotel and restaurant in De Pere, WI. Your in luck, its still there, and hasnt changed a bit. It has been family owned forever and I am sure if you call they will be happy to help you and share stories with you. Their # is (920) 336-6131

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You might want to check out the website The Green Bay Packers - America's Real Team

There is an extensive Packer history collection there.

Here is a picture of Lombardi's house in Allouez, Wi just a couple of blocks from the stadium:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's an aerial photo of the new City Stadium taken at the time of it's first game in 1957. It had a capacity of 32,500 and was built for $960,000. It was the first stadium built exclusively for football in the NFL. The name was changed to Lambeau Field in 1965.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You might want to pick up a copy of David Maraniss book "When Pride Still Mattered". It is, IMHO the best book about Lombardi and his life and the history of the 60's Packers I have ever read.

Bar's mentioned in the book include:

The Spot

Candlestick

Kings X

Restaurants mentioned include:

Proski's (for fish fry Fridays)

The Stratosphere Club

The Neighborly Club

Alex's Crown Restaurant

There are probably others, but that will get you started in the right direction....

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, it was era where enough was enough and excesses were frowned upon. Vince was the embodiment of that attitude, which carried over to his players on and off the field. Except maybe Hornung and Magee!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, it was era where enough was enough and excesses were frowned upon. Vince was the embodiment of that attitude, which carried over to his players on and off the field. Except maybe Hornung and Magee!
lol so true...

McGee went out in the night of the SB against the Chiefs... And yet had arguably the greatest game of his career...

dude

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lambeau used to have a "kids section" that had wooden benches. Iti was on about the 10-yard line on the northeast end. And fans sitting near the tunnel would bring fishing nets to catch the balls on PAT's and FG's. And more often than not Senator William Proxmire would be shaking hands outside the entry gates.

When we first got our season tickets (before moving to Green Bay) we woiuld drive over from Stevens Point and a lot of the cars on the road would have Packer colors flying as they too wen to the games. paid parking in peoples front yard near the stadium was a cottage industry for local homeowners.

Bart Starr and his wife picked me up when I was hitchiking from Allouez to downtown GB one time. He took me directly to my destination and warned me not to hitch hike cus it can be dangerous. About 6 months later my brother and i were waiting outside the dressing room after a game to get signatures. When Bart came out, he saw me, walked directly over and asked "Jeff, are you still hitch hiking?" Starr was the one man Lombardi never yelled at...a total class guy. We'd see him at church (the downtown Methadist) fairly often.

dude

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was Lombardi's house?! How...underwhelming.

There's not a plaque outside or anything?!
He lived in a nice part of Allouez fronting the Fox River, with a huge lawn. But there were railroad tracks down along the river. I used to go down there with my girlfriend (6th grade) and we'd hide out in the willows along the tracks behind his house and explore puberty.

Tim S.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi, I'm working for a design firm that is doing research for the new Broadway show "Lombardi". Consequently, we're researching Lombardi's life and times, Green Bay, etc. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some specific question: does anyone know what bar(s) The Packers and/or Lombardi would have frequented at that time? What about pictures of Lombardi's ranch style home? Does anybody know what the stadium seating and or lights looked like at that time? And finally, is there any place online or otherwise that might have imagery of the players tunnel at Lambeau Field from that era? Thank you SO much in advance for any help you might be able to provide. Anything else you think might be important to consider when doing the scenery for this show would be greatly appreciated. We want to get it right.

I would check out Fuzzy Thurston Place (Fuzzy's 63) on West Mason about two miles from the stadium. Fuzzy owned the bar while he was still playing and is at it all the time.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lambeau used to have a "kids section" that had wooden benches. Iti was on about the 10-yard line on the northeast end. And fans sitting near the tunnel would bring fishing nets to catch the balls on PAT's and FG's. And more often than not Senator William Proxmire would be shaking hands outside the entry gates.

When we first got our season tickets (before moving to Green Bay) we woiuld drive over from Stevens Point and a lot of the cars on the road would have Packer colors flying as they too wen to the games. paid parking in peoples front yard near the stadium was a cottage industry for local homeowners.

Bart Starr and his wife picked me up when I was hitchiking from Allouez to downtown GB one time. He took me directly to my destination and warned me not to hitch hike cus it can be dangerous. About 6 months later my brother and i were waiting outside the dressing room after a game to get signatures. When Bart came out, he saw me, walked directly over and asked "Jeff, are you still hitch hiking?" Starr was the one man Lombardi never yelled at...a total class guy. We'd see him at church (the downtown Methadist) fairly often.

Dude, WONDERFUL STORY. Reinforces my opinion that Starr is the greatest QB of the Packers alltime.