Strength and Conditioning

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, it's our next hire and could be an important one. Does anyone have an idea of what or who we want to look for? I'm glad we are at least getting someone else and that LaFleur seems to be taking his time in order to make a good choice.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team needs to have stronger stamina in the fourth quarter like Lombardi teams did.
That, and get physically stronger. Got tired of watching four or five of our defenders get drug or pushed three extra yards by 200 lb running backs.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The team needs to have stronger stamina in the fourth quarter like Lombardi teams did.
That, and get physically stronger. Got tired of watching four or five of our defenders get drug or pushed three extra yards by 200 lb running backs.
Stamina can be done outside of 1265. Guys can go on runs or what ever builds up for them

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking more in terms of injury prevention and maintenance.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Strength and conditioning unit needed an overhaul.

Let's bring more science into the department and embrace the future of data and analytics.

Hopefully, Green Bay will employ people that are dedicated to positive results for the team and not easily swayed by the whims of the front office.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's bring more science into the department and embrace the future of data and analytics.

Hopefully, Green Bay will employ people that are dedicated to positive results for the team and not easily swayed by the whims of the front office.

What are you basing these comments on?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What ARE the whims of the FO, and why aren't they dedicated to positive results?

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like what you say but could you clarify about the whims of the front office. Have they dictated what a S & C coach should do? Maybe they buy machines w/o consulting?

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What ARE the whims of the FO, and why aren't they dedicated to positive results?

There are certainly scenarios in professional sports where players on contract, may or may, not have their recovery schedule from injury delayed for financial matters.

Let's say a player has a clause in their contract where playing 75% of the snaps triggers a certain payout and said player is recovering ahead of schedule, and eager to return to the field.

Would the front office tell the S & C staff to slow things down and slap an IR tag on said player to minimize the possibility of that player achieving their individual contractual goals?

Yes, yes they would.

These are things that happen more often than not, that many wouldn't think of and most don't want to acknowledge...but it happens quite often.

Politics is everywhere and professional sports isn't exempt.

IMO...the Packers' organization has done this and will continue to do this...the same as all the other 31 teams will indeed practice.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like what you say but could you clarify about the whims of the front office. Have they dictated what a S & C coach should do? Maybe they buy machines w/o consulting?
There are certainly scenarios in professional sports where players on contract, may or may, not have their recovery schedule from injury delayed for financial matters.

Let's say a player has a clause in their contract where playing 75% of the snaps triggers a certain payout and said player is recovering ahead of schedule, and eager to return to the field.

Would the front office tell the S & C staff to slow things down and slap an IR tag on said player to minimize the possibility of that player achieving their individual contractual goals?

Yes, yes they would.

These are things that happen more often than not, that many wouldn't think of and most don't want to acknowledge...but it happens quite often.

IMO...the Packers' organization has done this and will continue to do this...the same as all the other 31 teams will indeed practice.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, yes they would.

Do you have a cite for this? Quote by a player or agent or former player? I understand the occasional PS candidate getting a redshirt season on IR for a broken pinkie type boo-boo in camp that just "lingers."

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you have a cite for this? Quote by a player or agent or former player? I understand the occasional PS candidate getting a redshirt season on IR for a broken pinkie type boo-boo in camp that just "lingers."

I do not have sources or citation for this. I am not a journalist.

I have repeatedly said this is my opinion.

In my opinion, professional sport organizations will hinder or impede a player's contractual incentive(s), if the opportunity shall arise.

This organization is no exception.

The older I get, the more I marvel at organizations that can meld the business aspects with the product on the field and have successful seasons.

I'm not saying this is right, I'm not saying this is wrong, but it does happen.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your opinion is that you hope a S&C coach is going to come in and dictate to the front office or medical staff that they can't put a player on the IR in order to preserve incentive based contracts? I think you are over evaluating the amount of power any S&C coach has.

I do not recall stories of the Packers doing this recently. There have been other cases that have come up in the NFL. Derek Carr was benched in 2022 to preserve his health so he was more tradeable and try to avoid injury and having his 2023 guaranteed with the Raiders. I thought there was something with Russell Wilson this year too.

NFLPA/Agents/Players aren't stupid though. Teams start to do that then they will just advise other players in the future to avoid certain teams offering those and get them in more concrete terms. I'm sure you will always have players accusing teams of doing this and, on the opposite side, teams accusing players of milking minor injuries to be avoid major injury before free agency.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not have sources or citation for this. I am not a journalist.

I have repeatedly said this is my opinion.

In my opinion, professional sport organizations will hinder or impede a player's contractual incentive(s), if the opportunity shall arise.

This organization is no exception.

The older I get, the more I marvel at organizations that can meld the business aspects with the product on the field and have successful seasons.

I'm not saying this is right, I'm not saying this is wrong, but it does happen.
I've thought about this before but it always seemed to me that it was almost always a football decision. That is, how will the team perform best. Maybe I have been naive. But right now, I'm just hoping they get a new coach here with common sense and knowledge of all the new theories and practices for players to be at optimum physical peakness w/o making them more liable to get injured. In other words, not strung too tight. And of course, to help them in the best way to get over injuries. I agree with others that actually being in football shape is the ultimate responsibility of the coaches on the field. Which is so important! Gotta take practice time for doing sprints imho. 4th quarter.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking more in terms of injury prevention and maintenance.
I think every teams fans think their team is the most injured. My NBA team has this going on our forum..........my Memphis Grizzlies are literally rolling out their farm club nightly, the tank is in and they beat a virtually full strength Bucks last week.........it's hard to tank when others wont cooperate.
I hope the new guy helps the Packers.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think every teams fans think their team is the most injured.

Packers were seemingly relatively healthy last year

Everyone always says "Packers top in soft tissue injuries/injuries", but I never see any backing data on anything. Just emotion.

Running the numbers on football reference for number of times appearing on Q/D/O/IR less games played when one of those designations, the Packers were 3rd in the NFC Central with 147 times. Chicago 105, Minn 181 and Detroit 292 (so that should equate to man games missed)

Guys are going to miss games. Guys are going to be injured. Packers had a few weird oddities this year where guys were out longer than expected (Alexander, Watson, Campbell, Jones), but I think some of that might have to do with the Packers seemingly being cautious with guys which probably has more to do with their more conservative medical staff as they always seem to have a large number of 'questionable guys'

Now, it is possible (probable) that Gizzi was fired for the issues with Alexander, Watson, Jones, but I don't think that the Packers were the walking wounded last year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Wonder how many starter games lost we had last year, and how it compares with the rest of the league.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers were 19th in "man games lost due to injury" (8), but tied with 7 other teams. That must not include Bahk or Stokes.

That is actually just showing the loses for teams.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2023_injuries.htm has a breakdown of injuries with games missed. Roughly 1/3 of games missed were due to Davis, Tenuta and Bakh.

Last edited: