Lions/Packers Week 5

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're getting next to no productivity out of our last three first round picks.

Sadly, this is true, but Datone Jones has not been put into a position to be productive yet. I don't know if the problem is Capers and his schemes or others showing more than Jones, although he did have a sack and blocked xp at Cincy...not too shabby.

As for this game, how can anyone not think that Detroit is going to be our stiffest competition for the NFC North after yesterday?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Sadly, this is true, but Datone Jones has not been put into a position to be productive yet. I don't know if the problem is Capers and his schemes or others showing more than Jones, although he did have a sack and blocked xp at Cincy...not too shabby.

As for this game, how can anyone not think that Detroit is going to be our stiffest competition for the NFC North after yesterday?

Because detroit has beaten Minnesota, washington and now the bears. Sunday the bears were exposed for who they really are, a team that can't win when their QB gets rattled by sacks. 2 of their 3 wins have been against very poor defensive teams.

Remember, they did lose to the Arizona cardinals.

If we can protect Arod on a decent level, he should eat up their secondary. Detroits pass rush is good, hope we find a way to slow it down a notch or two.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point I'm worried about every game and since the Lions are next up yes I'm nervous. Hopefully we get some of our guys back and that will make a difference. We will have to force Stafford into some interceptions and contain Bush.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions are no easy win. They are for real this. We need to beat them. That means stopping Reggie Bush. If we fail to we will have dug a pretty deep hole for our self.

LionsFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should be a good game. Unfortunately the Lions lost 2 CBs sunday. Houston with a leg injury, and Mathis with concussion like symptoms. Mathis was cleared by the Lions doctor to return to play, but the Bears doctor didnt clear him. So its up in the air for next week. Its not released yet on what happened to Houstons leg, but its a big loss if he cant compete Sunday.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Should be a good game. Unfortunately the Lions lost 2 CBs sunday. Houston with a leg injury, and Mathis with concussion like symptoms. Mathis was cleared by the Lions doctor to return to play, but the Bears doctor didnt clear him. So its up in the air for next week. Its not released yet on what happened to Houstons leg, but its a big loss if he cant compete Sunday.
If YOUR doctor cleared him, what the hell did it have to do with the Bears doctor ? :cautious:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
... Datone Jones has not been put into a position to be productive yet. I don't know if the problem is Capers and his schemes or others showing more than Jones, although he did have a sack and blocked xp at Cincy...not too shabby.
I don’t think Datone’s problems are lack of opportunities or the scheme. According to McGinn’s grading columns, Datone played 18 snaps against the 49ers. He played another 18 snaps against the Redskins. ProFootballFocus.com (PFF) has him at 49 snaps on D, if correct that means he played 13 snaps against the Bengals. PFF says he rushed the passer 18 times without generating a single pressure against the Redskins. That’s not the scheme. In fact, from what I’ve seen, almost all of his snaps have been in the sub packages where he isn’t constrained by taking up blockers. He hasn’t gotten a ton of snaps but enough to show something and so far, according to the NFL and Packers websites, he has one tackle and a blocked extra point. He is not officially getting credit for a sack – perhaps because Dalton fumbled on the play but he obviously got penetration. I hope he’s still recovering from the ankle sprain that set him back – not just the injury but the time lost. He did show some quickness on the DL and on the PAT block against the Bengals so he may be coming around.

I

I hope more Lion fans come this week, otherwise LionsFan will win the most irritating visiting fan award, and he seems a nice guy :cry: ;)

I

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I really shudder to think what Suh will do to our OL. :eek:
McGinn gave the Packers' interior OL a pretty good rating in his review of the game vs. the Bengals:
All-pro three-technique DT Geno Atkins lined up for 68 plays. He has wreaked havoc in recent years, but Sunday he was invisible: no sacks, no hurries and no tackles. … Lang outmuscled Atkins, and didn't have any trouble with his quickness. It was easily Lang's best game of the season and possibly the best of his five-year career. The mauling Sitton was very good as well, also not allowing a pressure or a "bad" run. One reason the Packers averaged a whopping 6.1 yards per rush (182 yards) was the ability of Evan Dietrich-Smith to eliminate penetration one week after Washington NT Barry Cofield got the best of him.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-packers-vs-bengals-b99104632z1-224975102.html

And Suh has said previously Sitton is his toughest matchup. IMO Suh is better than Atkins (and one of the dirtiest players in the league) so Lang will probably be tested a lot. I hope his play vs. Atkins is a sign of things to come.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

Huh? Since when do players need to be cleared by the opposing team doctor???

If this is the case, I think the Packer's doctor is going to find an ailment with Stafford, Bush, Johnson, and a few others...

:rolleyes:

OP
OP

12theTruth

The suckiness of EDS and Barclay neutralizes any good vibes in regards to better than expected performances by Lang and Sitton. Suh will be lining up against EDS on most every play. And on every play it will be a mismatch.

To have such an obvious weakness as EDS on the line really gives an advantage to the defense.

As the season progresses you will see this over and over again. Rodgers being pressured up the middle far too often due to the finesse nature at which Smith handles the C position. Barclay has multiple times already gotten lit up by solid DE's with a modest repetoire of moves.

What good is individual grades on the offensive line when the unit as a whole will be challenged repeatedly this season.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
The suckiness of EDS and Barclay neutralizes any good vibes in regards to better than expected performances by Lang and Sitton. Suh will be lining up against EDS on most every play. And on every play it will be a mismatch.

To have such an obvious weakness as EDS on the line really gives an advantage to the defense.

As the season progresses you will see this over and over again. Rodgers being pressured up the middle far too often due to the finesse nature at which Smith handles the C position. Barclay has multiple times already gotten lit up by solid DE's with a modest repetoire of moves.

What good is individual grades on the offensive line when the unit as a whole will be challenged repeatedly this season.

On this forum and others, I have been highly critcal of our Oline for 6+ years(I know that makes me a Viking fan or troll) but I think Bak may be the real deal for the first time in a long time. If Bulaga can stay healthy and tretter can even be average, I think we are OK. As it stands now though. Those two ifs are out, and this line will struggle. I find in unconsionable to have an AR and not protect him. (Again, I know TT has drafted tons of olineman, its not as if he's not trying, its just that he's failing).

I

Its whichever teams doctor gets there first it looks like. I wasnt aware that either teams doc can run the initial test. Chicagos doc got there first then after he failed him, he passed the test from our doctor. Heres a link.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9...oit-lions-suffers-concussion-vs-chicago-bears
Maybe thats the trick for us then ? Hire a doctor with olympic aspirations and give him running spikes then he can rule Stafford, Bush and Johnson out of the game ;)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I will be surprised if Suh is lined up over EDS "on most every play" and if he is he'll be doubled on most every play.

Here's the rest of McGinn's review of the OL for the last game:
One reason the Packers averaged a whopping 6.1 yards per rush (182 yards) was the ability of Evan Dietrich-Smith to eliminate penetration one week after Washington NT Barry Cofield got the best of him. He did allow one sack on a bull rush by NT Domata Peko, but the first sack wasn't his fault because Starks made a bad decision cutting blitzing LB Taylor Mays and knocked Dietrich-Smith off his block. This was Bakhtiari's poorest game. He allowed five pressures (one sack, three knockdowns, one hurry) whereas the four other starters combined for just 2½. He also had 2½ of the five "bad" runs, including getting beat inside by Johnson on the failed fourth-and-1 that ruptured into the winning TD. Yet, Bakhtiari's speed afoot has been a key to the resurgent zone run game. The Packers are starting to run in unison down the line, and as the fastest of the five his impact is significant. DE Carlos Dunlap is a brutal matchup for any right tackle. Don Barclay has played better and needs to play better, but one sack and one "bad" run wasn't an awful day.
So it looks like Bakhtiari had the worst game of the O linemen, even though that goes against what looks like your preconceived notions of the O linemen.

I'm certainly not saying EDS is a great or even good OC but it’s seldom as easy as pointing a finger at one player on the OL. Particularly an OL containing 3 young and/or inexperienced players (EDS has started 12 games, not all at OC). And we can expect more up and down games from the OL. It’ll be more important how they’re playing at the end of the season.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's pretty simply to me. If we win on Sunday, we're right back in it in the North already.

If we don't, we're unlikely to be contenders this year anyway. Not that Detroit isn't a solid team, but if we are still top dogs in the North, they are a team we should definitely take care of business against particularly at home.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score