Lions/Packers Week 5

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Didn't EDS torment Suhhie so much that Suh stomped on him? EDS may not be much of an athlete but he does anchor well.
And he sings a pretty good Soprano in the squad choir now too......:laugh:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok cool.....enough to frustrate him and for him to use his short fuse and stomp some balls.
If I remember correctly, Suh claimed that the Packers linemen were repeatedly trying to untie his shoe laces. I don't remember if that was ever disproven, but I know that no Packers were fined for any such behavior leading up to the Suh Stomp

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barry Sanders was the greatest highlight reel runner to play the game but not someone I'd want on my Offense.
Let's see....

10-time Pro Bowler
HOF Running Back
  • Sanders led the NFL in rushing yards four times. 1990, 1994, 1996, and 1997.
  • Most Seasons, 1,100 or More Yards Rushing (10) tied with Walter Payton
  • Most Consecutive Seasons, 1,100 or More Yards Rushing (10)
  • Most Seasons, 1,300 or More Yards Rushing (9) tied with Walter Payton
  • Most Seasons, 1,400 or More Yards Rushing (7)
  • Most Consecutive Seasons, 1,400 or More Yards Rushing (5) tied with Emmitt Smith, 1991–1995
  • Most Seasons, 1,500 or More Yards Rushing (5)
  • Most Consecutive Seasons, 1,500 or More Yards Rushing (4)
  • In 1997, he set an NFL record by rushing for at least 100 yards in 14 consecutive games and became only the third player to reach 2,000 yards in a single season. He shared the NFL MVP award with Brett Favre.
  • During the final 14 games of the 1997 season Sanders rushed for exactly 2000 yards on 310 carries (6.5 yd./carry), a figure which bears comparison with O.J. Simpson's 14-game mark of 2003 yards on 332 carries (6.0 yd./carry).
  • Each of his 10 years from 1989 through 1998 he was first- or second-team All-Pro and selected to the Pro Bowl.
  • Over his professional football career, he rushed for at least 100 yards in 76 games, just short of Walter Payton's 77 games and Emmitt Smith's 78 games.
  • NFL record 25 games in which Sanders rushed for 150 yards or more. Jim Brown is second with 22 games.
  • NFL record 46 games in which Sanders had 150 yards from scrimmage or more. Walter Payton is second with 45.
  • 15 career touchdown runs of 50 yards or more, most in NFL history. Jim Brown is second with 12.
  • At the time of his retirement, Sanders' 15,269 career rushing yards placed him second behind Walter Payton's 16,726 yards. At Sanders' then-current yearly yardage pace, he would have eclipsed Payton within one or two years. Payton died from liver cancer at age 45 just months after Sanders' sudden retirement.
  • His 18,190 career yards from scrimmage place him sixth on the all-time list.
  • His career average of 5.0 yards per rushing attempt (min. 1500 att) is second all-time for running backs. Jim Brown is first with a 5.2 career average.
...and last but not least, holds the record for most carries for negative yardage. I bolded the most important stat above. The guy made yards, and like Favre, he swung for the fences every time so you had emotional highs and lows. Not someone you'd want on your offense....THAT....IS....CRAZY....TALK.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why didn't they frown on it last year? How is 22 years different than 21 years?
Cuz 22 years is one year closer to the year that they actually beat us again at Lambeau. I can only hope that the streak lasts for the rest of my life time but I've been a fan long enough to know better! ;)

greenNyellow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice post guapo.

Sanders also had the most carries for negative yards b/c the o-line was bad. There would be times when Sanders had to spin as soon as he got the handoff b/c there would be a defender in the backfield.

I am excited for Lacy's return. I feel like he can really help this offense. And its so great to have Morgan Burnett back. Now we just need Heyward.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have to gang tackle Barry.....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Hey, hey! I got here first! I get to hug him.
Yeah, but I saw him first.
Wait your turn along with everyone else. Now come here little guy and give me a hug!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice post guapo.

Sanders also had the most carries for negative yards b/c the o-line was bad. There would be times when Sanders had to spin as soon as he got the handoff b/c there would be a defender in the backfield.

I am excited for Lacy's return. I feel like he can really help this offense. And its so great to have Morgan Burnett back. Now we just need Heyward.

The O-line was bad? This is the most absurd myth in Modern Football, he had two freaking pro bowlers on that line. Kevin Glover and Lomas Brown were outstanding linemen. The O-line he ran behind was generally pretty good, he didn't get so many negative yards because the line was bad, he took so many negative yards because he would consistently turn down the 5 yard gaps in search of the elusive homerun. Barry Sanders might put up a dazzling 60+ yard TD run, but he then he might kill your next 4-6 drives taking sack like TFLs. Pretty tough to succeed when your running back is setting you up with 2nd and 16. He great for stats and highlights but not someone Id want for winning super bowls.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When looking at Sanders I don't care who was on the oline, just look at who else was on offense that defenses had to account for. The Detroit Lions offense was a wasteland outside of Sanders, with the sole exception of Herman Moore who was only really an impact WR from 1994 - 1997. Of course Sanders had a lot of negative runs, he routinely (and by routinely I mean always) faced defenses that were solely geared towards stopping him. You think defenses cared if Rodney Peete, Scott Mitchell or Charlie Batch wanted to throw the ball? Any team at any time would happily take Sanders (exceptions might be Payton, Brown, AD).

An interesting way of looking at how Sanders performed was done by Football Outsiders (in an Emmitt Smith article). The author looked at the yards per carry gained by the top 20 retired running backs by yardage and compared that to the yards per carry achieved by other players on their teams (e.g., what was Sanders' YPC compared to other Lions running backs when he was there). Sanders was #1 as far as difference between him and the other guys on his team. Not a perfect measure by any means, but it does help illustrate how much more Sanders could do with the same players than his backups. Link to full article is below

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2010/was-emmitt-smith-really-product-his-line

Bart

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have some baaaaad feeling about this game... This is a MUST win for us and it will be a very close game

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When looking at Sanders I don't care who was on the oline, just look at who else was on offense that defenses had to account for. The Detroit Lions offense was a wasteland outside of Sanders, with the sole exception of Herman Moore who was only really an impact WR from 1994 - 1997. Of course Sanders had a lot of negative runs, he routinely (and by routinely I mean always) faced defenses that were solely geared towards stopping him. You think defenses cared if Rodney Peete, Scott Mitchell or Charlie Batch wanted to throw the ball? Any team at any time would happily take Sanders (exceptions might be Payton, Brown, AD).

An interesting way of looking at how Sanders performed was done by Football Outsiders (in an Emmitt Smith article). The author looked at the yards per carry gained by the top 20 retired running backs by yardage and compared that to the yards per carry achieved by other players on their teams (e.g., what was Sanders' YPC compared to other Lions running backs when he was there). Sanders was #1 as far as difference between him and the other guys on his team. Not a perfect measure by any means, but it does help illustrate how much more Sanders could do with the same players than his backups. Link to full article is below

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2010/was-emmitt-smith-really-product-his-line

Herman Moore was outstanding and near unstoppable at his best and Brett Perriman was an outstanding number 2. Scott Mitchell, Rodney Pete... for crying out loud throwing to those two didn't require much in the way of talent. As for that chart, yes he was much more consistent than his backups. But even his backups managed just a hair under 4 ypc behind that turrible turrible O-line. Do you not see a problem here? As for Emmtt Smith he was used differently than Barry Sanders. In particular if you're the Cowboys and it's 3rd and short or 3rd and goal you're giving it to Emmitt. If youre the Lions you're giving it to the pounder, which consequently dropped their average ypc given their limited number of carries.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have some baaaaad feeling about this game... This is a MUST win for us and it will be a very close game

It's not a must win just yet, but not having Matthews makes me pretty concerned. Maybe Neal and Perry will finally "get it."

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
funny stuff!
All I hear are weak excuses. Sanders is one of the best three running backs of all time, there's no real argument there. What sane team would tell a historically great player that they think they're better without him?

You also missed part of the point of that article. The twenty best running backs by yardage were pretty much used the same way as Sanders (eg, you didn't see Sayers diving into the pile on 3rd-and-1) and Sanders was better than them all.

CTPackers08

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need this win big time. Not to mention I will be there so I want it even more!!! So is Clay def out for this weekend or still questionable?

Last edited:
OP
OP

12theTruth

All I hear are weak excuses. Sanders is one of the best three running backs of all time, there's no real argument there. What sane team would tell a historically great player that they think they're better without him?

You also missed part of the point of that article. The twenty best running backs by yardage were pretty much used the same way as Sanders (eg, you didn't see Sayers diving into the pile on 3rd-and-1) and Sanders was better than them all.

Sanders is great and a personal favorite of mine. Jim Brown is #1 best back. I'd say Barry is probably Top 5. One knock though is his negative yards for entire game in the playoff match-up against the Packers. Usually you wouldn't see that happen with a Top 5/10 RB.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And all of those guys had backups averaging at or near 4 ypc. The NFLs best running backs almost as a rule play with very good O-lines. Your b-b-b-but his Oline was bad was unsustainable. Some runners make their O-line look better like Emmit Smith and some make their Oline look much much worse like Barry Sanders. Let's just chalk it up to a disagreement in philosophy. I prefer a passing offense with a consistent and productive ground game. I'd rather have a guy who consistently churns out 4+ ypc than a guy who will give you 1,2,-3, 4, -6, 1,2 and then rip off the occasional 60 yarder. As talented as he was with the ball in his hand, and I'll agree there was none better at pure rushing, he was too inconsistent for my tastes. I would also turn down the post Holmgren Brett Favre and I think this point I think I should clarify. Post Holmgren Favre and Barry Sanders were outstanding players, I would take them as players but they're not what I would want on my ideal team.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh

What sane team would tell a historically great player that they think they're better without him?

Hear ya brother.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews missed 4 games last year from his hamstring.
Unless he was able to sneak the magic juice past the testing procedures like the Seahawks do so well, I can't believe we'll see Clay back out there until the Baltimore or Cleveland game at the soonest.

Hope I'm wrong, but these things linger.... look at Casey Hayward.
Where's he been all fricking season?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Matthews missed 4 games last year from his hamstring.
Unless he was able to sneak the magic juice past the testing procedures like the Seahawks do so well, I can't believe we'll see Clay back out there until the Baltimore or Cleveland game at the soonest.

Hope I'm wrong, but these things linger.... look at Casey Hayward.
Where's he been all fricking season?

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...pant-in-packers-wednesday-practice/in/4559561

We are pleased to update you that Matthews was in fact practicing (albeit on a limited basis) today:

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Shhh , I'm hunting Lions !

GO PACK GO !!!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah thanks, but I remember Burnett was also practicing about 3 weeks ago.... he's still not played a game yet.

We'll see on Clay.... as I said, he missed 4 games last year from the hammy, despite what he did in practices limited or not.....

Maybe maybe not, not all hamstring injuries are created equal. We'll have to wait until Friday to figure Clay out.