Leroy Butler

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How John Lynch got in over him is a joke. I'm upset because Butler is the only guy that's not in the HOF that was a first team all decade player from either the 70s, 80s, or 90s. Butler wipes the floor over Lynch and even Steve Atwater in about every way. And before we get into how great of a GM John Lynch is, he's made the playoffs 1 out of 4 years. He's done well imo, but enough to pass LeRoy? Absolutely not. On pro football reference Butler was rated along with Bruce Smith as the highest approximate valued player in 1996 (the Packers Super Bowl year). When you look at the criteria of making the HOF as a safety, it makes no sense Butler hasn't made it.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How John Lynch got in over him is a joke. I'm upset because Butler is the only guy that's not in the HOF that was a first team all decade player from either the 70s, 80s, or 90s. Butler wipes the floor over Lynch and even Steve Atwater in about every way. And before we get into how great of a GM John Lynch is, he's made the playoffs 1 out of 4 years. He's done well imo, but enough to pass LeRoy? Absolutely not. On pro football reference Butler was rated along with Bruce Smith as the highest approximate valued player in 1996 (the Packers Super Bowl year). When you look at the criteria of making the HOF as a safety, it makes no sense Butler hasn't made it.

If you look at the list of safeties in the HOF that list is rather short for some reason.

Jpete66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Dead on !!

If Lynch and Butler were both available to be taken 95% of General Mangers would take Butler. This is not a knock on John Lynch he was great player obviously HOF material but he is not Leroy Butler. Lynch going in over Butler is political. He is an executive in the NFL after being an announcer. In life a lot of times its who you know. Had LeRoy had a more active role in the NFL post career he would already be in the HOF. With Lynch getting in it makes Bulter a know brainer now. As was said before if Atwater and Lynch (Both a notch below Butler) are in the Hall of Fame then LeRoy will be going otherwise the HOF is a joke.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lynch got in because he was the spectacular guy...Leroy who I love wasn't, he was consistent. He's alot like Jerry Kramer was, solid guy...Kramer had the sweep Leroy has the leap. Leroy WILL get in though I have no doubt about it.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way to go Leroy! My daughters favorite player back when. And love his show.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait, what? Didn't see this anywhere?
I didn't see it either. An interpretation of an event based on personal prejudice perhaps.

Edit. Just watched it on Twitter. Butler walked out. They showed a shot of Rodgers cheering. Butler waved at someone and then someone else.

Clearly this is a case of Ll seeing what he wants to see. I don't think he is a huge Aaron Rodgers fan right now.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did u happen to see AR say his name and Butler's reaction? Interesting...
In case not seen, threw a hand at AR as to say Get the hell away from me.

Are you referring to the shot of LB walking out on stage, AR cheering and Butler waving? Wow, talk about reading a lot into a wave. You don't even know if he was looking at Rodgers at the time. Also who was Butler telling to get the hell away from him with his second wave

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'm surprised and elated for Butler. Even though he had the credentials, I really didn't think he'd get in. You know ... too many Packers already in the hall .. blah blah blah. I don't think we see another until Rodgers goes in.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised and elated for Butler. Even though he had the credentials, I really didn't think he'd get in. You know ... too many Packers already in the hall .. blah blah blah. I don't think we see another until Rodgers goes in.
I wasn't sure he'd get in, just because he hadn't gotten in yet and I couldn't figure out why so I didn't think they were ever going to do it. But he is deserving, more than deserving.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
No... I don't think so. Sterling, if he a few more years to pad those stats... the guy was HOF bound. It's too bad.

He only had a 7 year career but was voted to Pro Bowl 5 times and AP All-pro 3 times. Just two more years at that level and I think he would have been in the HOF already as a SB would also be on the resume. Terrell Davis made it in on a 7 year career (4 great - 3 awful) but had two SBs. I still think Sterling Sharpe has a slight chance but wouldn't put any money on it.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No... I don't think so. Sterling, if he a few more years to pad those stats... the guy was HOF bound. It's too bad.
One thing working against Sharpe beside a short career is that there are too many WRs with better numbers who are not in and probably don't deserve to be in. He was HOF bound if he had another 2 years, maybe 3 of similar production. Its not enough anymore that he was one of the dominant WRs the years he played his career was too late for that to be a factor. If you look at the WRs in with under 10,000 yards they were dominant but they all played 10 or more years before Sterling did. By the time he played numbers started to mean as much if not more than dominance.

Edit: Davis was the guy I couldn't think of. I was comparing him to Portis.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see it either. An interpretation of an event based on personal prejudice perhaps.

Edit. Just watched it on Twitter. Butler walked out. They showed a shot of Rodgers cheering. Butler waved at someone and then someone else.

Clearly this is a case of Ll seeing what he wants to see. I don't think he is a huge Aaron Rodgers fan right now.
now I am delusional? I dont think Butler thinks much of AR...that was Butlers moment and the camera flashed to Rodgers which I did not understand.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
now I am delusional? I dont think Butler thinks much of AR...that was Butlers moment and the camera flashed to Rodgers which I did not understand.

Was that the only shot of the crowd they had all night? If so then maybe your argument has merit. He's Aaron Rodgers and he cheering for a fellow Packer why wouldn't they cut away. I know they have screens all over venues like that but do the guys on the stage see what we see? Did Butler even know they cut away to Rodgers, I doubt it. He's looking at the crowd as he is walking out not at a TV screen. I'm not even convinced he was waving at Rodgers when he came out but he may have been. I'm not even convinced he knew where he was sitting although he probably did.

I probably could have said it a bit less snarky and for that I apologize. I just think you are reading something into it that was not there.