League Player Movements 2017

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was so sure this would not happen (and was arguing in a recent thread).

I'm stunned.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As bad as the 49ers are, it's basically a 1st round pick.

It would also be an awful use of our assets to trade an early round pick for a backup QB that is hitting free agency soon.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
What the f****!

For a 2nd round pick, I'd have gladly taken him here to compete with Hundley. Would have been worth the risk.

I was so sure this would not happen (and was arguing in a recent thread).

I'm stunned.
You would had traded away a second round pick for a guy that will only be on a roster for 6 weeks? He is a FA after this season and is going to get a monster contract somewhere (not GB).

Reaction score
I’m more still trying to reason with our decision to go with 1 backup QB again after what happened regarding Last time AR broke his collarbone.
I would’ve at the very least thought we would’ve brought in a veteran or someone who has more of a history so to speak once we knew the severity of ARs injury.
It’s quite possible we looked at this option and we weren’t willing to part with this high of a draft pick

RepStar15

Reaction score
I’m more still trying to reason with our decision to go with 1 backup QB again after what happened regarding Last time AR broke his collarbone.
I would’ve at the very least thought we would’ve brought in a veteran or someone who has more of a history so to speak once we knew the severity of ARs injury.
It’s quite possible we looked at this option and we weren’t willing to part with this high of a draft pick
I can’t see the packers front office looking at this as an option. Unless Jimmy Garapolo could figure out our playbook by Monday night, Hundley would still be the better option for at least another 2-3 weeks.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You may have but if you are Bill Belichick who's 2nd rounder are you going to trade for, the Packers or the 49ers. Now I know with AR out we may get a pretty high draft pick but I still don't think it will be as high as the 49ers. We have a 3 game lead on them and I'd be surprised if JG gets that team 3 wins.

So this will go down as another knock on TT in some fan's opinions. He could have had Jimmy Garoppolo for a 2nd rounder and didn't do so when in fact, no he couldn't have had him for a 2nd rounder because BB would go for the higher pick.

Had they traded a 2nd rounder in 2018 they may have recouped a 3rd rounder (comp pick) in 2019 if JG did well and landed a nice fat starting gig somewhere. Of course, he could have come in and lit the world on fire then we could have signed him for less than an AR extension and traded AR for a boatload of picks and really been better off. Come to think of it damn you TT way to screw up again.

RepStar15

Reaction score
The packers would never give up a second rounder for a quarterback that would only be in Green Bay for 8 games. There is absolutely no way he would get paid by the Packers in free agency. It takes weeks at a minimum to prepare a quarterback in a new system so bring that 8 games down to 6. This move makes absolutely no sense for a team that doesn’t have cap space to pay a monster contract for a franchise quarterback. It would be throwing a second round pick down the garbage. Packers fans would have a reason to be mad if this was even on TT’s radar.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stupidest move since Glennon became a Bear.

I can't make much sense of this.

• 49er season is over, he can't help them
  • 49ers getting a high #1 pick next year could result in a great franchise QB. Should be 3 or 4 QBs rated higher than Trubisky.
  • Why not wait in a few months when he is a FA?
Must want to have him practice with the team and see if he is a good fit. For that they drop a high #2 pick? Probably be coveted first pick in the 2nd. He will be a FA and you will still be in a bidding war. Maybe they already agreed to an extension.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Must want to have him practice with the team and see if he is a good fit

If they feel he's a long term option, then maybe. A 2nd round draft pick is also a gamble on potential ...same as what they are doing now. Now even if Garoppolo fails, they still have 1st pick to take a QB. It's stands the reason that they are really serious on getting QB fixed to expend this much resources after this season.

Reaction score
The packers would never give up a second rounder for a quarterback that would only be in Green Bay for 8 games. There is absolutely no way he would get paid by the Packers in free agency. It takes weeks at a minimum to prepare a quarterback in a new system so bring that 8 games down to 6. This move makes absolutely no sense for a team that doesn’t have cap space to pay a monster contract for a franchise quarterback. It would be throwing a second round pick down the garbage. Packers fans would have a reason to be mad if this was even on TT’s radar.
I believe a factor might also be the message it sends to our current QB

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
You would had traded away a second round pick for a guy that will only be on a roster for 6 weeks? He is a FA after this season and is going to get a monster contract somewhere (not GB).

I think now he is only gonna get a monster contract if he plays well.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't you been watching the other QBs that get monster contracts? Playing well (consistently) obviously isn't a criterion.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea it was my thread!! That's what happens when folks are close minded haha

Not close minded. I was playing on probabilities and got it wrong. I mean the Browns were offering Pats lot more (2nd and 3rd round and then two 2nd round picks, iirc) earlier this season and I thought Pats would hold on for more.

Actually, Pats could have gotten lot more from him and missed opportunity. 49ers win this.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jay Ajayi to Eagles. Wentz is already on a high this year and now they have a talented RB too.

Eagles should be one of the favourites to SB now.

Members online

Latest posts