Lazard Situation...

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, why the hell not? If they all knew he was going to play at least three years, this would be a multiple first round pick trade.

What would make this all more interesting is if another team besides the Jets were to pick up the phone and ask Gutey for permission to talk to Rodgers...That would light a fire in New York.

Especially if that team were the Patriots.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would make this all more interesting is if another team besides the Jets were to pick up the phone and ask Gutey for permission to talk to Rodgers...That would light a fire in New York.

Yeah and again, why not? The Pats aren't set at QB and we know BB knows how to build around a great QB.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't feel comfortable about the center position as well as the right side of the offensive line entering the draft. Especially considering the team will enter the season with a first year starting quarterback.
I am not comfortable with Myers either. But it is because I really don't know about him yet. He has not had a chance to really jell with the guards and also maybe having a better R guard would allow us to see what Myers can actually do. Maybe the draft will tell us something about what the coaches are thinking about him but right now I am hoping we get a good guard in the draft. And I would not mind seeing us take a top tackle. But that would have to be with the 15th imho. A L tackle that can play on the R for now. Because there seem to be a number of really good ones at the top. So I don't want to trade down with our top pick. If no tackle; then a W/O or D line. I'm kind of torn between edge and interior because as much as I'd like an edge; I saw us give up a lot of yardage from teams running up the middle. Hopefully, Wyatt is the real deal and maybe Slayton can hold his own.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hey, why the hell not? If they all knew he was going to play at least three years, this would be a multiple first round pick trade.
Exactly. I get it, Rodgers turned 39 in Dec. and the Jets don't want to pay for a 1 and done QB. That said, what has really hurt his trade value is his 3 straight years of waffling. It isn't just the waffling either, it is how it has played out each time. If this were Tom Brady, when he was 39, there would be no questions of his long term value. Brady kept saying that he wanted to play for as long as he could.

I am convinced that Rodgers has known that he wants to play each of the last 3 seasons, but he likes all the attention and the concessions that he gets, when he feigns the idea of retirement. That stance is totally what gives the Jets a lot of power in the negotiations, so the Packers should say "you know, you may be right, but if you are wrong, we would like to get compensated."

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. I get it, Rodgers turned 39 in Dec. and the Jets don't want to pay for a 1 and done QB. That said, what has really hurt his trade value is his 3 straight years of waffling. It isn't just the waffling either, it is how it has played out each time. If this were Tom Brady, when he was 39, there would be no questions of his long term value. Brady kept saying that he wanted to play for as long as he could.

I am convinced that Rodgers has known that he wants to play each of the last 3 seasons, but he likes all the attention and the concessions that he gets, when he feigns the idea of retirement. That stance is totally what gives the Jets a lot of power in the negotiations, so the Packers should say "you know, you may be right, but if you are wrong, we would like to get compensated."
Sad but true. Rodgers said before he went into his hobbit hole darkness siesta that he was 90% sure he would retire. So he's weird and he lies, and lies more. He never had any intention of retiring in the same year as Brady.

There is so much Rodgers fatigue with the fans and the organization, the GB FO might just have to let him go for a 2nd round pick and a conditional pick(s) if he keeps playing. Hope not, but can't see another way.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There is so much Rodgers fatigue with the fans and the organization, the GB FO might just have to let him go for a 2nd round pick and a conditional pick(s) if he keeps playing. Hope not, but can't see another way.
The "good news", the Jets fans and media are used to a bunch of losers and will do almost anything to have a winner. Even better news, they haven't been inundated over the years with the Rodgers drama, nor do they probably know half of it. "Another ones trash, becomes another ones treasure", now if we can just convince them just how valuable that "trash", I mean "treasure" is. :D

Note: Before any Rodgers apologists go postal on me for calling him "trash", it was just an expression.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The "good news", the Jets fans and media are used to a bunch of losers and will do almost anything to have a winner. Even better news, they haven't been inundated over the years with the Rodgers drama, nor do they probably know half of it. "Another ones trash, becomes another ones treasure", now if we can just convince them just how valuable that "trash", I mean "treasure" is. :D

Note: Before any Rodgers apologists go postal on me for calling him "trash", it was just an expression.

LOL. I have to watch that movie again. You're right, NY fans have no idea what Rodgers is like off field, his hallucinogenic trips, his darkness retreat, his paper thin skin, the search for the inner Aaron, and on.

Reaction score
p
I wonder if Gute has said to the Jets "Fine, for now, we will take your two 2nd round picks in the 2023 draft. However, if Rodgers plays (for any team) in 2024, we get your 2025 1st rounder and for each year after that, the same thing." :D
do like my realtor did once. Just don’t send the whole contract only the amendments that say “if he plays next season” and don’t specify and hope that doesn’t get caught and let the Jets make the assumption based on earlier talks. Send them only pages 4-6 to initial.
That little trick cost me $10,000 in real $ on the sale of my home! Tough lesson. They’ll screw you any way they can and twice on Sunday

Never. Ever ever ever. Sign any addendum or portion of a previously refused offer without having ALL pages to re-review. Have any previous versions nullified with a “rescinded contract agreement form”
and start from scratch.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
p

do like my realtor did once. Just don’t send the whole contract only the amendments that say “if he plays next season” and don’t specify and hope that doesn’t get caught and let the Jets make the assumption based on earlier talks. Send them only pages 4-6 to initial.
That little trick cost me $10,000 in real $ on the sale of my home! Tough lesson. They’ll screw you any way they can and twice on Sunday
I am guessing that NFL teams have some of the best lawyers working for them, when it comes to contractual law. If they don't, than they deserve everything that they have coming to them.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't feel comfortable about the center position as well as the right side of the offensive line entering the draft. Especially considering the team will enter the season with a first year starting quarterback.
Lindley has been hard to replace.

Reaction score

I think the Jets are heavily invested in Rodgers now. Enough they won’t lose him over a Day 2 selection. Both sides are just playing chicken, but both sides lose a lot from both getting this deal done.

I will ask you guys this and just ponder it.

The team that is built to win now? has the most to lose now.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Jets are heavily invested in Rodgers now. Enough they won’t lose him over a Day 2 selection. Both sides are just playing chicken, but both sides lose a lot from both getting this deal done.

I will ask you guys this and just ponder it.

The team that is built to win now? has the most to lose now.

Both teams are very motivated to complete the trade. The Packers aren't paying Rodgers $59 million to hold a clipboard* and the Jets don't have any other viable options to get them to the playoffs in 2023.

The deal will get done, and would guess it will be the draft that provides the "deadline."

*Plus, the Packers don't need/want the circus that would erupt with having Rodgers in training camp.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wonder if Gute has said to the Jets "Fine, for now, we will take your two 2nd round picks in the 2023 draft. However, if Rodgers plays (for any team) in 2024, we get your 2025 1st rounder and for each year after that, the same thing." :D

Why would the Jets give up compensation if Rodgers plays for another team in 2024?

There might be a small chance the Niners will be interested in trading for Rodgers if the deal with the Jets isn't completed by the end of the draft.

I am not comfortable with Myers either. But it is because I really don't know about him yet. He has not had a chance to really jell with the guards and also maybe having a better R guard would allow us to see what Myers can actually do.

I don't feel extremely confident about right guard and tackle at this point either.

There is so much Rodgers fatigue with the fans and the organization, the GB FO might just have to let him go for a 2nd round pick and a conditional pick(s) if he keeps playing.

I'm definitely not tired of having a HOF quarterback start for the team I support.

Lindley has been hard to replace.

Well, it seems Gutekunst made a mistake selecting Myers over Humphrey in the 2021 draft.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would the Jets give up compensation if Rodgers plays for another team in 2024?

There might be a small chance the Niners will be interested in trading for Rodgers if the deal with the Jets isn't completed by the end of the draft.

I don't feel extremely confident about right guard and tackle at this point either.

I'm definitely not tired of having a HOF quarterback start for the team I support.

Well, it seems Gutekunst made a mistake selecting Myers over Humphrey in the 2021 draft.
I do not think there are any other teams who can afford to make a deal for Rodgers at that point unless Gute is willing to practically give him away. But dumber things have happened. E.G. Mike Ditka in New Orleans. The Vikings and Herschel. And there are always the Raiders whether in Oakland, LA, or Vegas.

D

Deleted member 6794

I do not think there are any other teams who can afford to make a deal for Rodgers at that point unless Gute is willing to practically give him away. But dumber things have happened. E.G. Mike Ditka in New Orleans. The Vikings and Herschel. And there are always the Raiders whether in Oakland, LA, or Vegas.

The Niners don't have any picks to make a trade before this year's draft. But once that has passed with Rodgers having been traded they could make a deal with their selections in the following years.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And let's not forget the Packers' trade for John Hadl. I know, too painful to think about even now.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course he is.
With all the talent the Jets have, why would they use roster spaces on Cobb and Lazard? I guess I can see Lazard - he's a very good blocking WR but at best a #3 on the depth chart. He is a reliable pass catcher. Cobb is even lower on the depth chart. And the Jets are paying Lazard $11 mil/year? I don't know maybe it's sour grapes on my part. Are they going to sign Marcedes Lewis as well?

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know maybe it's sour grapes on my part. Are they going to sign Marcedes Lewis as well?

Not really sour grapes. Was one of the reasons that I was pretty much done with Rodgers after this season. When you clog up 10% of the roster with guys that are there because they are friends with the QB I think it is an issue. Cobb, Lewis, Tonyan are bodies really. Lazard, meh.. whatever. To some extent can add Crosby and Bakh to the friends and family can't cut list, but at least Bakh still has value and I think Crosby hit his expiration date in 2022.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really sour grapes. Was one of the reasons that I was pretty much done with Rodgers after this season. When you clog up 10% of the roster with guys that are their because they are friends with the QB I think it is an issue. Cobb, Lewis, Tonyan are bodies really. Lazard, meh.. whatever. To some extent can add Crosby and Bakh to the friends and family can't cut list, but at least Bakh still has value and I think Crosby hit his expiration date in 2022.
Tonyan was the best TE we had. He came in as a nothing rookie and was fairly productive for us and then had a pretty good injury and came back from it. he wasn't taking a roster spot from anyone that he didn't deserve.

Same with Lewis. He was vital on this Oline, regardless of his pass catching. He may not show up in stats, but he was also here because he served a very good purpose.

Cobb, he was here because he was familiar with Rodgers, no doubt. Biggest knock was age/health. I'm ok with a guy like that being an option because of familiarity when you already have a bunch of no production hoping to develop guys already on the roster that we easily stashed on the PS anywa.. We didn't really need another one of those, we needed to develop the ones we had.

While Cobb didn't make a ton of plays, he did make some important ones. If we'd have had a younger guy that looked ready or like he had the potential to be better i'd have more issues with Cobb getting snaps over him, but we didn't really. The young guys we had that fit that bill were playing a lot when they were available.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really sour grapes. Was one of the reasons that I was pretty much done with Rodgers after this season. When you clog up 10% of the roster with guys that are their because they are friends with the QB I think it is an issue. Cobb, Lewis, Tonyan are bodies really. Lazard, meh.. whatever. To some extent can add Crosby and Bakh to the friends and family can't cut list, but at least Bakh still has value and I think Crosby hit his expiration date in 2022.
Yeah that's a good summary. It really does seem that the only reason Rodgers wants these guys on the team is because he likes them personally. I get the sentiment, but I never worked with someone whose job was otherwise saved because we were friends. (I also wasn't a future HOF QB, but should that matter?)

As for Bakh and Crosby - when healthy there's probably not a better LT than Bakh. but the long and spotty recovery from the knee issue, and age, is concerning. As for Crosby, I love the guy but a kicker in today's NFL has to have 90% touchbacks, or something like that. He had a great run in GB, but it's time to move on.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah that's a good summary. It really does seem that the only reason Rodgers wants these guys on the team is because he likes them personally. I get the sentiment, but I never worked with someone whose job was otherwise saved because we were friends. (I also wasn't a future HOF QB, but should that matter?)

As for Bakh and Crosby - when healthy there's probably not a better LT than Bakh. but the long and spotty recovery from the knee issue, and age, is concerning. As for Crosby, I love the guy but a kicker in today's NFL has to have 90% touchbacks, or something like that. He had a great run in GB, but it's time to move on.
The saying, "It's not what you know, but who you know" predates Aaron Rodgers by a lot. It became a saying for a reason. Growing up and putting myself thru school I worked a lot of different jobs from shoveling **** to teaching grad classes and one thing I found to be very true, half the people at those places were there because they knew someone, not because they were anything special.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts