Late FA adds?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Was just looking tonight at what was left out there in FA that we could maybe add s little more depth. Here’s a few that would be on my wishlist

QB: No adds needed at this point.
RB: I like our group but Sproles would be a nice addition as a pass catcher/KR/gadget player. Bilall Powell is also available and has some juice
WR: I still think Dez would be interesting to give shot but Garçon is also available who could add some solid depth. DeAnthony Thomas is another guy I feel would be nice as a KR/gadget player if he was cheap.
TE: I’d say we are set here.
OL: I like our depth here. Like everyone we could use a swing tackle but nothing out there that we don’t already have. Like our depth for this year.

DL: Duh would be a bit swing and would probably take everything we have left but him Daniels and Clark would be unstoppable. Wouldn’t mind giving Mo wilkerson another chance with an incentive based contract for some more depth at a position I already like.
OLB: This take will get roasted but if Perry came back super cheap I wouldn’t hate it. Our OLB’s would be HUGE and we could use them all over the DL.
MLB: This is a place I hope they take a swing or two. Love Martinez and still have hope for Burks. I really hope jokes get to play some LB this year but would love some depth. I liked Stephane Anthony coming out of college and would like if we brought him in as some depth with athletic upside. Ramik Wilson is another guy I’d like if they gave a shot.
CB: I love our group but as we’ve found out you can’t have enough corners. Mo Claiborne is still out there and could be some nice depth. Our old friend Sam Shields is also available but I doubt that happens.
S: Another spot I really like our starters but depth and veteran leadership is always needed. Eric Berry or Tre Boston could give Savage some time to develop. Darian Stewart is another veteran who could be a solid addition to this group.

ST: We need another option at KR. Would love for Davis to stay healthy as I feel he is very good but it just hasn’t happened. I also wouldn’t hate more competition for Crosby even though I do like Cole Tracy getting a shot.

I wouldn't mind it if they brought in a veteran QB on a deal without guarantees just to be waiting in the wings if the young players aren't progressing. David Fales maybe?

At running back, I can't see them spending on Sproles or Powell. I think they like Jamaal Williams' 3rd down skillset; he's young, and he's on a rookie deal.

Dez Bryant is done. I doubt he ever plays again. Garcon is a better idea, however they already have more roster-worthy receivers than they do roster spots, so I think they just stay put there. I can imagine them continuing to add competition in the return game.

I agree with you on OL that there really isn't anything worth acquiring.

DL is another position where they have plenty of young talent relative to space on the roster. Keeping Lancaster as Clark's backup makes way more sense than signing Danny Shelton.

The top four players at OLB are set-- I am happy to let a potential 5th spot be a competition between Gilbert, Donnerson, and Roberts. No need for Perry.

I wouldn't mind competition at ILB. Josh Bynes is interesting.

Claiborne does make sense if he's healthy and they suffer an injury at corner.

I would expect them to continue to add safety competition throughout the contest. Tre Boston is a bizarre player. PFF absolutely loves him. The league seems to have minimal interest. Maybe he's just an aberration in PFF's grading, which is highly overrated, or maybe he is just a guy who teams don't want in their locker rooms.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wouldn't mind it if they brought in a veteran QB on a deal without guarantees just to be waiting in the wings if the young players aren't progressing. David Fales maybe?

I don't think Fales would present an upgrade over Kizer. It will be interesting to see if the Packers keep three quarterbacks on the roster once again this season.

Claiborne does make sense if he's healthy and they suffer an injury at corner.

Claiborne has missed only two games over the past two seasons. He hasn't performed at a high level though.

I would expect them to continue to add safety competition throughout the contest. Tre Boston is a bizarre player. PFF absolutely loves him.

Boston was only ranked as the 24th best safety in the league by PFF last season.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't think Fales would present an upgrade over Kizer. It will be interesting to see if the Packers keep three quarterbacks on the roster once again this season.

Claiborne has missed only two games over the past two seasons. He hasn't performed at a high level though.

Boston was only ranked as the 24th best safety in the league by PFF last season.

I don't think Fales would present an upgrade either. If I had to predict, I doubt any veteran QB left on the market would. However, I just mentioned the idea of having a veteran in camp on a low risk contract, only in case the younger players fall on their faces.

Claiborne has been nagged by injuries throughout his career.

PFF has long had high ratings on Tre Boston. I can't speak to that specifically, as I'm not sitting around watching Boston play football. But he's been among their FA "gems" for three years running now. There have been points when they've rated him among the best coverage safeties in football. They really like him. Even 24th is a pretty ranking, considering that 64 safeties start in the NFL, and many more than that play significant snaps.

So there's some big discrepancy between how they see him and how the league sees him. I don't claim to understand the reason for it, but it's there.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

24th out of 64 starters. That's some pretty good love, imo.

D

Deleted member 6794

Claiborne has been nagged by injuries throughout his career.

True, Claiborne was pretty healthy during his two seasons with the Jets though. It seems his play dropped off in New York though.

PFF has long had high ratings on Tre Boston. I can't speak to that specifically, as I'm not sitting around watching Boston play football. But he's been among their FA "gems" for three years running now. There have been points when they've rated him among the best coverage safeties in football. They really like him. Even 24th is a pretty ranking, considering that 64 safeties start in the NFL, and many more than that play significant snaps.

So there's some big discrepancy between how they see him and how the league sees him. I don't claim to understand the reason for it, but it's there.

It's surprising that Boston is still a free agent and that he hasn't been paid more money over the past two seasons. In my opinion he would definitely present an upgrade over any backup safety currently on the roster.

24th out of 64 starters. That's some pretty good love, imo.

While PFF considers Boston's performance last season as above average they didn't grade him elite, high quality or good in 2018.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grade relative to position matters though, right?

Anyways, the point is that PFF likes Tre Boston. They have for the past few years.

Reaction score
The Packers could give up draft picks in a trade to acquire a player as well. They don't have enough cap space to make a significant move without having to get rid of a veteran though.
True. I’m not sure what’s going on behind closed doors, but the fact we hit LB with a late draft pick may signal that Ty is simply a small insurance policy in the event Burks doesn’t pan out. To me, the 7th rounder gives us some indication that those privy to inside discussions about the strategy at ILB feel more comfortable with the options available than we do.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts