Late FA adds?

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was just looking tonight at what was left out there in FA that we could maybe add s little more depth. Here’s a few that would be on my wishlist

QB: No adds needed at this point.
RB: I like our group but Sproles would be a nice addition as a pass catcher/KR/gadget player. Bilall Powell is also available and has some juice
WR: I still think Dez would be interesting to give shot but Garçon is also available who could add some solid depth. DeAnthony Thomas is another guy I feel would be nice as a KR/gadget player if he was cheap.
TE: I’d say we are set here.
OL: I like our depth here. Like everyone we could use a swing tackle but nothing out there that we don’t already have. Like our depth for this year.

DL: Duh would be a bit swing and would probably take everything we have left but him Daniels and Clark would be unstoppable. Wouldn’t mind giving Mo wilkerson another chance with an incentive based contract for some more depth at a position I already like.
OLB: This take will get roasted but if Perry came back super cheap I wouldn’t hate it. Our OLB’s would be HUGE and we could use them all over the DL.
MLB: This is a place I hope they take a swing or two. Love Martinez and still have hope for Burks. I really hope jokes get to play some LB this year but would love some depth. I liked Stephane Anthony coming out of college and would like if we brought him in as some depth with athletic upside. Ramik Wilson is another guy I’d like if they gave a shot.
CB: I love our group but as we’ve found out you can’t have enough corners. Mo Claiborne is still out there and could be some nice depth. Our old friend Sam Shields is also available but I doubt that happens.
S: Another spot I really like our starters but depth and veteran leadership is always needed. Eric Berry or Tre Boston could give Savage some time to develop. Darian Stewart is another veteran who could be a solid addition to this group.

ST: We need another option at KR. Would love for Davis to stay healthy as I feel he is very good but it just hasn’t happened. I also wouldn’t hate more competition for Crosby even though I do like Cole Tracy getting a shot.

OP
OP
SD Cheesehead

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was just looking tonight at what was left out there in FA that we could maybe add s little more depth. Here’s a few that would be on my wishlist

QB: No adds needed at this point.
RB: I like our group but Sproles would be a nice addition as a pass catcher/KR/gadget player. Bilall Powell is also available and has some juice
WR: I still think Dez would be interesting to give shot but Garçon is also available who could add some solid depth. DeAnthony Thomas is another guy I feel would be nice as a KR/gadget player if he was cheap.
TE: I’d say we are set here.
OL: I like our depth here. Like everyone we could use a swing tackle but nothing out there that we don’t already have. Like our depth for this year.

DL: Duh would be a bit swing and would probably take everything we have left but him Daniels and Clark would be unstoppable. Wouldn’t mind giving Mo wilkerson another chance with an incentive based contract for some more depth at a position I already like.
OLB: This take will get roasted but if Perry came back super cheap I wouldn’t hate it. Our OLB’s would be HUGE and we could use them all over the DL.
MLB: This is a place I hope they take a swing or two. Love Martinez and still have hope for Burks. I really hope jokes get to play some LB this year but would love some depth. I liked Stephane Anthony coming out of college and would like if we brought him in as some depth with athletic upside. Ramik Wilson is another guy I’d like if they gave a shot.
CB: I love our group but as we’ve found out you can’t have enough corners. Mo Claiborne is still out there and could be some nice depth. Our old friend Sam Shields is also available but I doubt that happens.
S: Another spot I really like our starters but depth and veteran leadership is always needed. Eric Berry or Tre Boston could give Savage some time to develop. Darian Stewart is another veteran who could be a solid addition to this group.

ST: We need another option at KR. Would love for Davis to stay healthy as I feel he is very good but it just hasn’t happened. I also wouldn’t hate more competition for Crosby even though I do like Cole Tracy getting a shot.
Danny Shelton at nose tackle would also be a great addition. Could give Clark the option to play outside and rush while Shelton anchors in the middle.

D

Deleted member 6794

With the Packers currently not having a ton of cap space to work with I don't expect Gutekunst to be active in free agency before being able to make a thorough evaluation of the roster in camp and preseason.

He might make some moves before the start of the season though.

OP
OP
SD Cheesehead

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers currently not having a ton of cap space to work with I don't expect Gutekunst to be active in free agency before being able to make a thorough evaluation of the roster in camp and preseason.

He might make some moves before the start of the season though.
According to spotrac and over the cap we still have around 9 mill to play with. Now a guy like Suh would take all of that so that ain’t happening but we could probably get Anthony, Shelton, and Sproles and still have a little extra in case of emergency. I’m fine with our roster right now but is always good to build depth and there is still some out there

D

Deleted member 6794

According to spotrac and over the cap we still have around 9 mill to play with. Now a guy like Suh would take all of that so that ain’t happening but we could probably get Anthony, Shelton, and Sproles and still have a little extra in case of emergency. I’m fine with our roster right now but is always good to build depth and there is still some out there

The Packers will need at least $2.35 million of cap space for players #52 and #53 on the roster as well as the practice squad. In addition they will have to reserve some extra space for replacements for players being put on either PUP or IR.

Hence not a lot of wiggle room to work with.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers will need at least $2.35 million of cap space for players #52 and #53 on the roster as well as the practice squad. In addition they will have to reserve some extra space for replacements for players being put on either PUP or IR.

Hence not a lot of wiggle room to work with.
Jenkins isn't signed yet. That will be another $600,000 off the top judging from Pettis' contract last year at #44.

Cap committments for 2020 according to overthecap.com now total $184 mil for 49 players. That includes Clark on a $7.7 mil 5th. year option but not Daniels, Martinez, Bulaga, Allison, T. Williams, Crosby :eek: and some other unrestricted free agents of some rotational value:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2020/all/green-bay-packers/

Some cap carryover is in order.

While there is $12.5 mil in potential cap savings in releasing Graham and Taylor after this season, those players must be replaced by better players to show the needed roster upgrade. Maybe even Linsley at $8.5 mil in savings.

There is and will be a lot riding on the big free agent spends this offseason given the cap consequences kick in next season and those following. Even Rodgers cap cost goes up $6 mil. How well stacked the 2017-2020 draft classes prove to be will tell the story.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Jenkins isn't signed yet. That will be another $600,000 off the top judging from Pettis' contract last year at #44.

The Packers signed Jenkins on Monday.

https://www.packers.com/news/packer...elgton-jenkins-claim-s-mike-tyson-off-waivers

With the NFLPA listing the Packers having 91 current contracts (I guess they include Perry and Biegel because their release result in dead money counting against the cap in 2019) his deal is most likely already included in their cap number.

Sternberger is the only draft pick currently not under contract.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers signed Jenkins on Monday.

https://www.packers.com/news/packer...elgton-jenkins-claim-s-mike-tyson-off-waivers

With the NFLPA listing the Packers having 91 current contracts (I guess they include Perry and Biegel because their release result in dead money counting against the cap in 2019) his deal is most likely already included in their cap number.
I didn't look for the report but I did look at the numbers and Jenkins' number is evidently not reflected in the NFLPA number.

During our exchange on May 10, the NFLPA number was $9.9 mil and has not changed:

https://www.packerforum.com/threads...n-and-kam-chancellor.82783/page-2#post-833679

https://www.nflpa.com/public-salary-cap-report

Note: The current number in the above link ($9,923,836) could be updated at any time (though probably not on a weekend) so future reference to the NFLPA link could show a different number.

The league reviews every contract for CBA and cap compliance. Since the draft, they have had to review some 1,500 contracts, give or take, entering the 90 man rosters, and they have to do them in the order they are signed for each team to be ascertain if a team is in violation of the top 51 cap at any point in time. So, I'd expect they would be running behind right now.

Sternberger is the only draft pick currently not under contract.

Last year's #75 pick, Derrick Nnadi to the Chiefs, had a first year cap number of $720,000. Sternberger's number should be close to that with the 6% bump in the salary cap with some variability in the signing bonus, plus or minus. That would put Sternberger about $150,000 more than the 53rd. guy on the roster, Alex Light for instance, at $570,000, not a significant amount when projecting cap space to opening day.

Strange as it may seem, in the great scheme of things, the rookie salary structure doesn't value a mid-3rd. round pick much more than a UDFA's rookie minimum of $495,000. The key difference is the guarantees, typically loaded in the signing bonus for a mid-3rd. rounder, which in Nnadi's case was $959,400. UDFA's typically get no guarantees or a tiny signing bonus and could be cut tomorrow with little or no overhang.

Long story short, by the time you get to a mid-3rd round pick's pending contract, the first year cap consequence is insignificant.

OP
OP
SD Cheesehead

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the cap is tight but guys like Shelton and Anthony could come in real cheap and barely make a dent in the cap. Could also be cut before the season starts.

H

HardRightEdge

I understand the cap is tight but guys like Shelton and Anthony could come in real cheap and barely make a dent in the cap. Could also be cut before the season starts.
Players like Shelton are becoming obsolete, or shall we say relegated to rotational base defense duty of 25% of the snap count. Or put another way, "base defense" is not the base defense anymore; nickel is the base defense. And we have a whole mess of guys likely to be better nickel pass rushers than Shelton.

And frankly, if a guy can't bring some pressure when a team throws on first down you have to downgrade him some more. Including playoffs, Shelton had a 31% defensive snap count last year, 6th. among NE D-linemen. And they saw fit to replace his nose snaps with Mike Pennel.

So long as Daniels is around to back up at the nose, I don't see the point in adding a guy like Shelton no matter what he costs.

I do believe ILB depth is one of the leading question marks. I know nothing about Anthony so I won't comment on him.

H

HardRightEdge

So you agree??
C'mon man. First, you need to spend a 1st. round pick. Second, you have to hope the other teams picking above you misconstrue who's the best QB in the draft. Third, you have to pick the best QB coming out in many a moon. Fourth, under a best case scenario you wouldn't even know how good he is until he hits free agency.

In a perfect world I would love to see the Packers get someone like Aaron Donald or J.J. Watt in camp. Why not both? Or Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, Lawrence Taylor, and Anthony Munoz for that matter. Why not all six? I would also like to hit the lottery, though that too is highly unlikely and not really necessary.

I should have stuck with "no comment".

OP
OP
SD Cheesehead

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish that I could share your enthusiasm on this one.

In a perfect world, I would love to see the Packers get someone like Patrick Mahomes in camp.
Young, talented, energetic, to go along with our new coaching staff...…...JMO
Hey don’t get me wrong if there was a Mahomes type out on the FA market i’d say give him everything we got left and then some! But alas all the Mahomes types have already picked up so I guess we are gonna have to roll with Arod. Not of fan of Kizer but there isn’t much out there to pick up so let’s hope Lafleur coaches him up and he does a great job holding that clipboard on the sideline.

Reaction score
C'mon man. First, you need to spend a 1st. round pick. Second, you have to hope the other teams picking above you misconstrue who's the best QB in the draft. Third, you have to pick the best QB coming out in many a moon. Fourth, under a best case scenario you wouldn't even know how good he is until he hits free agency.

I would love to see the Packers get someone like Aaron Donald or J.J. Watt in camp. Or Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, Lawrence Taylor, or Anthony Munoz for that matter. I would also like to hit the lottery, though that too his highly unlikely and not really necessary.

You are 100% correct.
Any football team consist of many facets of players that can't be predicted on paper, only through talent
placed on the field on any given game day.
That's why to me when a team with so much talent, coaches/players etc. wins so many SB's, I'm impressed.

H

HardRightEdge

You are 100% correct.
Any football team consist of many facets of players that can't be predicted on paper, only through talent
placed on the field on any given game day.
That's why to me when a team with so much talent, coaches/players etc. wins so many SB's, I'm impressed.
So it was all just a big joke then. Shame on me.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players like Shelton are becoming obsolete, or shall we say relegated to rotational base defense duty of 25% of the snap count. Or put another way, "base defense" is not the base defense anymore; nickel is the base defense. And we have a whole mess of guys likely to be better nickel pass rushers than Shelton.

And frankly, if a guy can't bring some pressure when a team throws on first down you have to downgrade him some more. Including playoffs, Shelton had a 31% defensive snap count last year, 6th. among NE D-linemen. And they saw fit to replace his nose snaps with Mike Pennel.

So long as Daniels is around to back up at the nose, I don't see the point in adding a guy like Shelton no matter what he costs.

I do believe ILB depth is one of the leading question marks. I know nothing about Anthony so I won't comment on him.
ILB seems to be the area of greatest need. Not just in depth, but in the quality of the starters. Martinez is a tackling machine, but with limited coverage skills.

Maybe they give Preston Smith some snaps inside, as he’s supposed to have some decent coverage skills. Will be interesting to see what, if any, moves Gluten makes at ILB ahead of training camp.

Finally, if Jones is moved (more or less) permanently to the box, he should also add coverage skills. All that said, the ILB is weakest when it comes to putting pressure on the QB. That’s the only place where I think CMIII will be missed.

D

Deleted member 6794

In my opinion there's no need to sign Shelton as the Packers have enough quality depth on the defensive line.

While the team might be in need of an upgrade at inside linebacker Anthony has been a huge disappointment and most likely wouldn't improve the position.

But alas all the Mahomes types have already picked up so I guess we are gonna have to roll with Arod.

Geez, Rodgers has been the most efficient quarterback in NFL history, fans should be excited to have him as the team's starter.

Maybe they give Preston Smith some snaps inside, as he’s supposed to have some decent coverage skills.

All that said, the ILB is weakest when it comes to putting pressure on the QB. That’s the only place where I think CMIII will be missed.

It would be a terrible idea to drop Preston Smith, at 265 pounds, into coverage regularly.

Matthews was pretty good rushing the passer from inside but overall an inside linebacker main responsibility is to defend the run and cover running backs or tight ends.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
something will definitely happen that will cause them to add someone but it will be at the expense of someone else. it might be a good thing but more likely it'll be a bad thing that happens. we surely haven't seen all the new faces yet for 2019.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Danny Shelton at nose tackle would also be a great addition. Could give Clark the option to play outside and rush while Shelton anchors in the middle.

Agree 100% Daniels doesn’t give us much as a pass rusher, so they need to find a way to move Clark who is a way better pass rusher on the D line flexibility to move around.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
something will definitely happen that will cause them to add someone but it will be at the expense of someone else. it might be a good thing but more likely it'll be a bad thing that happens. we surely haven't seen all the new faces yet for 2019.
That’s correct. At this point, it’s pretty hard to drastically improve a team outside of a trade, and then, as you point out, someone else has to go. Best now to let OTAs and TC to play out to see what we’ve got. With waivers and cuts, there’s a chance someone will be on the 53 we haven’t seen yet.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there’s always 2,3 players that are not in the Roster now that will be sometime in early September.

D

Deleted member 6794

That’s correct. At this point, it’s pretty hard to drastically improve a team outside of a trade, and then, as you point out, someone else has to go. Best now to let OTAs and TC to play out to see what we’ve got. With waivers and cuts, there’s a chance someone will be on the 53 we haven’t seen yet.

The Packers could give up draft picks in a trade to acquire a player as well. They don't have enough cap space to make a significant move without having to get rid of a veteran though.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What does Shelton give you that Tyler Lancaster doesn't?

Shelton is a better player, but it's such a marginal position that the increased cost doesn't make it worth it.

Even if they're big and athletic, don't draft two down pluggers in the first round.

Latest posts