Lane Taylor

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it's true the Packers don't have to spend all of their cap space Thompson should take more risk in this area as well.

Over the last five years only seven teams have rolled over more combined cap space into next season with the Niners being the only one out of that group to have won a playoff game. FWIW the only reason San Francisco made the list is because they didn't use $38.7 million of cap space last season while going 2-14.

If the threshold is "to have won a playoff game", Green Bay is obviously meeting that standard. The won two last year alone.

D

Deleted member 6794

If the threshold is "to have won a playoff game", Green Bay is obviously meeting that standard. The won two last year alone.

Winning a playoff game isn't a threshold. What I wanted to point out is that teams that roll over more money than the Packers aren't successful and mostly in a rebuilding phase.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winning a playoff game isn't a threshold. What I wanted to point out is that teams that roll over more money than the Packers aren't successful and mostly in a rebuilding phase.

It's no secret Ted does things differently from most GMs. It's also no secret that Green Bay, in addition to being financially solvent, is also one of the most successful franchises in the NFL during his run as General Manager. He's a popular punching bag around these parts, rivaled perhaps only by Dom Capers, but the truth is he's done a pretty good job and puts Green Bay in a position to compete every year. He's not perfect, but he's not bad either.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's no secret Ted does things differently from most GMs. It's also no secret that Green Bay, in addition to being financially solvent, is also one of the most successful franchises in the NFL during his run as General Manager. He's a popular punching bag around these parts, rivaled perhaps only by Dom Capers, but the truth is he's done a pretty good job and puts Green Bay in a position to compete every year. He's not perfect, but he's not bad either.

There's no doubt the Packers have been successful during Thompson's tenure in Green Bay. Having only won a single Super Bowl while having a generational talent at quarterback is disappointing nevertheless.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt the Packers have been successful during Thompson's tenure in Green Bay. Having only won a single Super Bowl while having a generational talent at quarterback is disappointing nevertheless.

Could be worse. Think New Orleans Saints.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Over the last five years only seven teams have rolled over more combined cap space into next season
TWEET. Foul. That is just BAD math. Say for instance, Ted rolled over $10m the first year. Every year after that he spends that season's exact salary cap. Say $152m in a season with $152m salary cap (plus rollover.) 5 years later he didn't have $50m in salary cap not spent. He still had $10m. If he had rolled $80k over in year one instead, he would be lauded for his cap management of spending the cap but not exceeding it in any season. His rainy day fund is a one time spending spree, not an accruing account. Another way of looking at it is to add up the league salary cap for all the seasons. Subtract all the team cap costs for those same seasons. How much does he have left?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I used to believe that.... but frankly when certain teams are perennial losers You have to start thinking that winning isn't really a priority.
I disagree. The first week of free agency has huge money chasing a lot of guys and it's coming from a lot of different directions. The perennial losers haven't figured out how to put the puzzle together yet.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree. The first week of free agency has huge money chasing a lot of guys and it's coming from a lot of different directions. The perennial losers haven't figured out how to put the puzzle together yet.
As I said I used to believe that.....

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I used to believe that.... but frankly when certain teams are perennial losers You have to start thinking that winning isn't really a priority.

And, many of those teams offer a quick comeback to those here who throw out the "so you think you could do better than the real coaches/GMs?".

D

Deleted member 6794

TWEET. Foul. That is just BAD math. Say for instance, Ted rolled over $10m the first year. Every year after that he spends that season's exact salary cap. Say $152m in a season with $152m salary cap (plus rollover.) 5 years later he didn't have $50m in salary cap not spent. He still had $10m. If he had rolled $80k over in year one instead, he would be lauded for his cap management of spending the cap but not exceeding it in any season. His rainy day fund is a one time spending spree, not an accruing account. Another way of looking at it is to add up the league salary cap for all the seasons. Subtract all the team cap costs for those same seasons. How much does he have left?

You're right about it that it doesn't make any sense to combine the rolled over money for the reasons you stated. Even with additional cap space the Packers have mostly ranked in the middle of the pack in used cap space since 2011 though.