Lane Taylor

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly what do you guys think of his job last year?

How good will he/can he be?

What do ya'll envision him as going forward?

He was pretty much a nobody and him and everyone but RG now are deemed as pretty damn good on our Oline now... so there must be something the Packers FO knows that we don't

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I thought he did a great job at the position. I mean the offensive line was better in pass protection in 2016 (averaging 2.4 sacks per game) than 2015 (averaging 2.7 sacks per game). We saw how much time he was getting in and out of the pocket. Though rush yards declined from 2,126 (2015 season) to 1,962 we also did not have a solidified RB, as Aaron Rodgers almost lead the team in rush yards.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same here. I don't think he was really special, but anything above 'barely adequate' would have exceeded my expectations, and he certainly did that.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think he's probably closer to his ceiling than Linsely, Spriggs and Murphy. If he matures into a 12th - 18th rated left guard, I'd be satisfied. Anything better than that would surprise me.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the only mistake they made with Taylor was signing him to only a 2 year deal. Re-sign him early TT and don't let another Guard find his way to another NFC North Team, the Vikings are waiting.

The other thing with Taylor that some might not recognize, he was signed as an UDFA by the Packers in 2013, made the 53 man all 4 seasons since and he not only played in a lot of games, he started some prior to 2016 as well. So it's not like he just came out of nowhere to start.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my point in this was... Lane's expectations were pretty damn LOW honestly lol

And he did "good enough" to not miss Sitton

My guess is the FO knows something to replace Lang with someone in house

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly what do you guys think of his job last year?

How good will he/can he be?

What do ya'll envision him as going forward?

He was pretty much a nobody and him and everyone but RG now are deemed as pretty damn good on our Oline now... so there must be something the Packers FO knows that we don't

Lets sure as hell hope so!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the only mistake they made with Taylor was signing him to only a 2 year deal. Re-sign him early TT and don't let another Guard find his way to another NFC North Team, the Vikings are waiting.

The other thing with Taylor that some might not recognize, he was signed as an UDFA by the Packers in 2013, made the 53 man all 4 seasons since and he not only played in a lot of games, he started some prior to 2016 as well. So it's not like he just came out of nowhere to start.
Lol, if they had signed him to a longer than 2 year deal it would likely had to involved guaranteed money and probably 3 m a year. The wailing and gnashing of teeth in this forum would have been through the roof!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taylor is a bandaid imo. He is playing well enough to price himself out of GB though.

Pretty sure we are going to be drafting guards the next couple years. Replace Lang this year, and Taylor next year...the money on the Oline will be going to bahk, bulaga, and linsley. Guards will have to be cheap.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, if they had signed him to a longer than 2 year deal it would likely had to involved guaranteed money and probably 3 m a year. The wailing and gnashing of teeth in this forum would have been through the roof!
Wouldn't be surprised if he was re-upped before Thanksgiving. He had and proved a two year prove it contract. The second year was insurance. Will probably never get top 5 guard money. 5 years for $20-23m with $7m guaranteed will probably get him signed through to his declining years. About double per year than he is getting now; about 2/3 of what Sitton averages in Chicago and half of what Lang just signed for. Per OTC he already gets "21st highest of 78 LG contracts." Doubling his per year moves him up about 6-8 spots.

D

Deleted member 6794

my point in this was... Lane's expectations were pretty damn LOW honestly lol

And he did "good enough" to not miss Sitton

Taylor surprisingly performed at a decent level, especially in pass protection, but don't fool yourself, Sitton is definitely a better player than him.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised. I was thinking it'd be a cluster when they dropped Sitton at the last minute.

Ditto.

Cutting Sitton and replacing him with Taylor looks pretty good in hindsight - It allowed Green Bay to replace an aging veteran with a younger player, and the money saved was used to lock up the left tackle position for a few years. Taylor was solid if not spectacular, and the Packer offense performed well down the stretch.

Now let's hope they are as fortunate replacing Lang......

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Ditto.

Cutting Sitton and replacing him with Taylor looks pretty good in hindsight - It allowed Green Bay to replace an aging veteran with a younger player, and the money saved was used to lock up the left tackle position for a few years. Taylor was solid if not spectacular, and the Packer offense performed well down the stretch.

I think they should have gotten rid of Sitton during the 16 draft, but in fairness to Thompson, he may have tried but couldn't find a suitable trade offer.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way Sitton left town clearly still bothers many of us, but Lane Taylor did better than 90% of the people on this forum predicted. Nobody expected him to play as well as Sitton. While he played here and there for the Packers over the years, he never looked good. That added to a lot of people's angst.

I think that he's still got growth potential in his game, but as someone said he'll top out around average. He'll benefit from being around superior tackles and center.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ditto.

They didn't need to cut Sitton to be able to extend Bak.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way Sitton left town clearly still bothers many of us, but Lane Taylor did better than 90% of the people on this forum predicted. Nobody expected him to play as well as Sitton. While he played here and there for the Packers over the years, he never looked good. That added to a lot of people's angst.

I think that he's still got growth potential in his game, but as someone said he'll top out around average. He'll benefit from being around superior tackles and center.

Good article on Lang's importance at www.packersnotes.com a few days back. With a second all-pro at guard now being a question mark with Lang gone, will Taylor be exposed more?
Some people sound as if just because he wasn't a disaster meant he was really good, or-LOL- as good as Sitton. I can picture a horror show if your starting guards end up as Taylor and Barclay, then have an injury to one of the other starters.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they should have gotten rid of Sitton during the 17 draft, but in fairness to Thompson, he may have tried but couldn't find a suitable trade offer.

It's hard to say exactly what happened there. Trades in the NFL aren't as common as they used to be, but you would think someone would have been willing to give something to Green Bay in exchange for Sitton. My best guess is that this was an unplanned event, and something happened or something was said that forced Ted's hand. Fortunately, Taylor played well enough for it not to become a major issue.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. No question it made it a lot easier though.

No maybes about it. I forget the exact total, but even after extending Bak, they had something like 10 mil left, without even making any moves to clear up more space.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It's hard to say exactly what happened there. Trades in the NFL aren't as common as they used to be, but you would think someone would have been willing to give something to Green Bay in exchange for Sitton. My best guess is that this was an unplanned event, and something happened or something was said that forced Ted's hand. Fortunately, Taylor played well enough for it not to become a major issue.
Yes, it does look like it was an unplanned event. My argument has always been it should have been planned to get rid of Lang or Sitton before or during the 16 draft.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But $10 mil to TT is an empty wallet.

I suspect there may be other factors in play, such as reserving some funds to re-sign someone who's contract is coming up in the near future, or extending Aaron, or.........

Just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend all of it......Unless, of course, you work for the government:p

D

Deleted member 6794

I suspect there may be other factors in play, such as reserving some funds to re-sign someone who's contract is coming up in the near future, or extending Aaron, or.........

Just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend all of it......Unless, of course, you work for the government:p

While it's true the Packers don't have to spend all of their cap space Thompson should take more risk in this area as well.

Over the last five years only seven teams have rolled over more combined cap space into next season with the Niners being the only one out of that group to have won a playoff game. FWIW the only reason San Francisco made the list is because they didn't use $38.7 million of cap space last season while going 2-14.

Members online

Latest posts