Lane Taylor

D

Deleted member 6794

There was a hint in this article that Sitton wasn't a great locker room guy, just an FYI...

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...ackers-o-line-in-good-hands-with-james-campen

I wouldn't put too much stock into that single line about Sitton.

Hmm. This article may not get good reviews on this playground. Campen caught a lot of crap from quite a few posters in here a couple of years ago.

I think Campen has done a masterful job with the Packers offensive line, especially considering he mostly was worked with mid round picks and undrafted free agents. The unit needs to improve blocking for the run though.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't follow. IF we go with Brees as a generational talent, the Saints and Pack both have one SB victory. Same, not worse.

Green Bay has been to the playoffs eight years in a row. The Saints - not-so-much.

Missing the playoffs is worse than making the playoffs, no?

D

Deleted member 6794

Green Bay has been to the playoffs eight years in a row. The Saints - not-so-much.

There's no reason to get excited about just making it to the playoffs while having the best quarterback in the league. That seems to be the problem within the Packers front office though as well.

You made a case for only one other team, the Patriots.

Sounds like a tie.

As I've mentioned above I don't agree with your take that Brees is on a level with Rodgers, therefore you don't have a single case in my opinion.

However you want to look it at having only won a single Super Bowl with a generational talent at QB is disappointing though, especially considering the Patriots have won five with Brady as well as the Steelers and Giants getting two rings with far less talented signal callers.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no reason to get excited about just making it to the playoffs while having the best quarterback in the league. That seems to be the problem within the Packers front office though as well.

As I've mentioned above I don't agree with your take that Brees is on a level with Rodgers, therefore you don't have a single case in my opinion.

However you want to look it at having only won a single Super Bowl with a generational talent at QB is disappointing though, especially considering the Patriots have won five with Brady as well as the Steelers and Giants getting two rings with far less talented signal callers.

I believe, unfortunately, Packer fans of this generation take making the playoffs for granted. Making it eight years in a row is a major accomplishment, in my opinion, Rodgers or not.

The previous administration had a "generational" quarterback as well - and perhaps the greatest defensive end of all time. They came away with one Super Bowl win. Are we to conclude Ron Wolf was therefore a failure?

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe, unfortunately, Packer fans of this generation take making the playoffs for granted. Making it eight years in a row is a major accomplishment, in my opinion, Rodgers or not.

The previous administration had a "generational" quarterback as well - and perhaps the greatest defensive end of all time. They came away with one Super Bowl win. Are we to conclude Ron Wolf was therefore a failure?

Wolf described the mid-1990s team as a fart in the wind and I tend to agree with him. If the Packers don't win another Super Bowl title with Rodgers they will mainly be remembered for wasting a chance to build a dynasty around the most efficient quarterback of all time.

BTW with #12 being the quarterback making the playoffs should be expected and coming up short of it considered an epic failure.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As has been hashed over and over, IMO (and others), it's not. The number of Postseason Participation trophies in the case isn't a factor when the Lombardi goes to another team; actually hurts more when my team is in the top handful of favorites every year, gets their chance ever year, and blows it. I see the comparison as the Saints winning a SB, the Pack winning the next year, and neither winning since then.

D

Deleted member 6794

As has been hashed over and over, IMO (and others), it's not. The number of Postseason Participation trophies in the case isn't a factor when the Lombardi goes to another team; actually hurts more when my team is in the top handful of favorites every year, gets their chance ever year, and blows it. I see the comparison as the Saints winning a SB, the Pack winning the next year, and neither winning since then.

Of course I consider making it to the playoffs a success at that point but it doesn't matter once the Packers are eliminated from the postseason though.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can bet your bottom dollar that if you took the teams Thompson has built and take Rodgers out of the equation, playoff appearances would have been few and far between.

Agreed.

Tom Brady missed a season, and the Patriots missed the playoffs. So?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Wolf described the mid-1990s team as a fart in the wind and I tend to agree with him. If the Packers don't win another Super Bowl title with Rodgers they will mainly be remembered for wasting a chance to build a dynasty around the most efficient quarterback of all time.

BTW with #12 being the quarterback making the playoffs should be expected and coming up short of it considered an epic failure.
Well the Packer fans of the mid 90's certainly didn't consider their team a fart in the wind and neither did their opponents. Wolf made some bad decisions in the late 90's. He's the one who farted. To his credit, he's the guy that resurrected the franchise in the early 90's and I'm very appreciative of that.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm always about expectations. Sure, I was thrilled with the Pack of the mid-90s, because they followed the Pack of the 70s and 80s. I then expected more out of those Favre-led teams and was especially was thrilled to follow him with another great QB - not so thrilled with the overall results of either, though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You can bet your bottom dollar that if you took the teams Thompson has built and take Rodgers out of the equation, playoff appearances would have been few and far between.
The entire equation gets re-constructed if Rodgers is not drafted. We would have had a different unknown QB that McCarthy would have worked with to replace Favre. McCarthy was very instrumental in turning Rodgers into what he is today imo. Without Rodgers being drafted, absolutely everything is completely different from 2005 to the present.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patriots without Brady: 14-6
Packers without Rodgers: 3-6-1

I thought the crux of your argument was that only championships mater.

Patriots without Brady: 0 championships.
Packers without Rodgers: 0 championships.

By golly, another tie.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the crux of your argument was that only championships mater.

Patriots without Brady: 0 championships.
Packers without Rodgers: 0 championships.

By golly, another tie.

Again, the championships thing as a decider of QB greatness is ridiculous in the ultimate team game. If it were a true indicator, then you're telling me that Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Williams(Redskins) and Hostetler are all better than Marino, and every bit as good as Rodgers, Brees and Young.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The entire equation gets re-constructed if Rodgers is not drafted. We would have had a different unknown QB that McCarthy would have worked with to replace Favre. McCarthy was very instrumental in turning Rodgers into what he is today imo. Without Rodgers being drafted, absolutely everything is completely different from 2005 to the present.

Although since Ted hasn't built a powerhouse with Rodgers, I see the other point that he wouldn't have done too well without a top QB.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heh, weird....I just looked at the top of the page, and it says this is the "Lane Taylor" thread. Thought I'd misposted.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, the championships thing as a decider of QB greatness is ridiculous in the ultimate team game. If it were a true indicator, then you're telling me that Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Williams(Redskins) and Hostetler are all better than Marino, and every bit as good as Rodgers, Brees and Young.

I'm trying to figure out what the argument here is:

Quarterback play matters.

Quarterback play doesn't matter.

I'm fairly certain it's one of those.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Missing the playoffs by one game or by ten doesn't matter much, except on draft day.
Except that if we missed by 10 many here would insist that we are the laughingstock of the league and the dismal state of the franchise on the verge of collapse.

Hmmm.... thinking about it more, they would probably do the same thing if we missed by 1.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts