Lane Taylor

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what the argument here is:

Quarterback play matters.

Quarterback play doesn't matter.

I'm fairly certain it's one of those.

Wouldn't be so hard to grasp if you weren't trying so hard to be a smartass.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Heh, weird....I just looked at the top of the page, and it says this is the "Lane Taylor" thread. Thought I'd misposted.

The general flow of many threads:

What do you think about this __________? -----------------> a couple of posts------------------>

fill in the rest with one or any of:
  1. Fire Capers
  2. Fire TT
  3. AR carries this team
  4. Tom Brady
  5. Jeff Janis
  6. Patriots and BB are the best team/GM/coach in the NFL

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except that if we missed by 10 many here would insist that we are the laughingstock of the league and the dismal state of the franchise on the verge of collapse.

Hmmm.... thinking about it more, they would probably do the same thing if we missed by 1.

:p

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What do you think about this __________? -----------------> a couple of posts------------------>

1. Fire Capers
  2. Fire TT
  3. AR carries this team
  4. Tom Brady
  5. Jeff Janis

JANIS!!!!! YESSSS!!!!!!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

1. Fire Capers
  2. Fire TT
  3. AR carries this team
  4. Tom Brady
  5. Jeff Janis
Absolutely classic post. Belongs in the forum HOF.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't put too much stock into that single line about Sitton.

I think Campen has done a masterful job with the Packers offensive line, especially considering he mostly was worked with mid round picks and undrafted free agents. The unit needs to improve blocking for the run though.
Total agreement. I think Campen has been gold.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It either matters, or it doesn't. You decide.

Okay, Curly.
The way I see it, the discussion comes down to in today's NFL, you need top QB play to compete for titles; with Rodgers, contender. Without, we're a s**t show.
On the other hand, number of titles won does not make a QB the greatest of all time. After the SB, writers everywhere were falling all over themselves to pronounce Brady the GOAT. Maybe, maybe not. (they also like to forget- or refuse to acknowledge- Starr also won 5 titles, including 3 in a row, which no one else has ever done.)
Hope that answers your question.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, Curly.
The way I see it, the discussion comes down to in today's NFL, you need top QB play to compete for titles; with Rodgers, contender. Without, we're a s**t show.
On the other hand, number of titles won does not make a QB the greatest of all time. After the SB, writers everywhere were falling all over themselves to pronounce Brady the GOAT. Maybe, maybe not. (they also like to forget- or refuse to acknowledge- Starr also won 5 titles, including 3 in a row, which no one else has ever done.)
Hope that answers your question.

It does.

It's rare a team gets a championship with a backup quarterback. I believe Jeff Hostetler pulled it off years ago, but that was a different era.

Some not-so-great quarterbacks have won championships - Dilfer comes to mind, with the help of a stifling defense and a strong running game - but this too is the exception, and not the rule. This is a quarterback driven league.

People are often quick to assert that the Packers have no chance without Rodgers. Well, duh, that's not exactly profound. Any team with a top ten quarterback is basically toast if that guy goes down for the season. Yes, Patriots included.

That said, Ted Thompson drafted Aaron Rodgers after 23 picks went by and nobody wanted him. Some Brett Favre loyalists 'round these parts moaned it was a waste of a first round draft pick. Now, many of the same folks will tell you "Ted got lucky" and that Rodgers "fell into his lap". Giving the GM credit for making a great pick is something they can't bring themselves to do.

Ted has made some good moves, and some bad moves. I would say as a GM he's not perfect, but he's well above average. The proof is in the pudding. I hope Green Bay gets another championship on his watch, but if not, then I guess I'll be thankful for the great run this franchise has had. Ted has been a big part of that success, even if some refuse to admit it.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It did. No playoffs.

OK, one more time. If you think a Rodgers-less Packer team could crank out an 11-5 record, I'd think you're delusional, but you'd be right about the outcome being the same. The championship argument, from my perspective, doesn't hold up when determining how important the QB is to a particular team. The final word is yours.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1. Fire Capers
  2. Fire TT
  3. AR carries this team
  4. Tom Brady
  5. Jeff Janis

Does anyone think a thread that stayed on-topic discussing Lane Taylor would be this long or entertaining? Hence, the "as long as you mention it..." subthreads.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, one more time. If you think a Rodgers-less Packer team could crank out an 11-5 record, I'd think you're delusional, but you'd be right about the outcome being the same. The championship argument, from my perspective, doesn't hold up when determining how important the QB is to a particular team. The final word is yours.

If my team isn't going to make the playoffs, I really don't care what their record is. If anything, a worse record nets to better draft position. Brady, like Rodgers, is a great quarterback - and without them, their respective teams have no legitimate shot at winning anything of importance. With them, there is always a chance.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Does anyone think a thread that stayed on-topic discussing Lane Taylor would be this long or entertaining? Hence, the "as long as you mention it..." subthreads.

Makes sense....the "Defending Janis" thread kind of burned out at 35 pages and 873 posts, but I have full confidence in it reaching the 1000 post mark by September and he has had a few "amazing FHOF like" catches in the preseason!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Makes sense....the "Defending Janis" thread kind of burned out at 35 pages and 873 posts, but I have full confidence in it reaching the 1000 post mark by September and he has had a few "amazing FHOF like" catches in the preseason!

LET'S GET IT CRANKED UP, GANG !!!!
JANIS!!!JANIS!!!JANIS!!!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree and I eagerly await it's revival. No player so low on the depth chart has ever achieved his forum notoriety.
I remain one that would like to see him used on an end around once a game. It's fun to watch the dude run with the ball.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agree and I eagerly await it's revival. No player so low on the depth chart has ever achieved his forum notoriety.
I remain one that would like to see him used on an end around once a game. It's fun to watch the dude run with the ball.

LOL....I take it you enjoy watching blind squirrels finally find a nut? ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

Brady, like Rodgers, is a great quarterback - and without them, their respective teams have no legitimate shot at winning anything of importance. With them, there is always a chance.

The huge difference being that Rodgers has to perform close to a perfect level for the Packers to have a legitimate shot at a championship because the rest of the roster lacks talent while Brady has been bailed out by other parts of the team on several occasions.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that it's that the personnel specifically and then the circumstances that have changed on the OL. I've had only a few minor problems with Campen's coaching job over the years.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that it's that the personnel specifically and then the circumstances that have changed on the OL. I've had only a few minor problems with Campen's coaching job over the years.
Still can't teach run block consistently to save their +++

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone remember the Fire Campen ire a few years ago? Practically every Packers coach and assistant has gotten the evil eye from this forum.
There are no sacred cows in the Packer organization on this forum. Yes Campen took a lot of flak from this crowd a few years ago.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL....I take it you enjoy watching blind squirrels finally find a nut? ;)
I'm a blind squirrel. I found 2 nuts in Amish's draft contest last year. I've heard there is a shortage of nuts this year. I'm preparing myself to be hungry this winter

Members online

Latest posts