Kyle Fuller offer sheet - resigns with duh B*@rz

Status
Not open for further replies.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To buy time by keeping him from hitting free agency.

How does it buy time? You still have to match the top free agent bid to keep a guy.

I guess it gives you control in that you can match any offer and they have to take your deal, but you still have to pay the same top dollar as if you were signing a FA.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what did we offer to him? A long term contract? Or just the 1 yr 12 mil

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How does it buy time? You still have to match the top free agent bid to keep a guy.

I guess it gives you control in that you can match any offer and they have to take your deal, but you still have to pay the same top dollar as if you were signing a FA.

If he'd been allowed to hit free agency unrestricted, he could have been long gone already. The Bears weren't willing to take that chance.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would suck is if the Bears wait until the last second to decide, we don't do anything while waiting for their decision, and all the other remaining CBs get snatched up while we wait.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he'd been allowed to hit free agency unrestricted, he could have been long gone already. The Bears weren't willing to take that chance.

He'll be gone anyway if they don't give him every penny that we were going to give him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What would suck is if the Bears wait until the last second to decide, we don't do anything while waiting for their decision, and all the other remaining CBs get snatched up while we wait.

I don't see why the Bears would hurry even if they don't plan to sign him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if Fuller's offer sheet is in line with or in excess of Trumaine Johnson's, which was 5 years, 72.5M, 34M guarnteed.

Johnson's deal set a market, and Fuller is better, younger, and more talented.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does this essentially handcuff us for any others moves for 5 days?
I was wondering the same. It would be a shame if we were to miss out on other players. I'd imagine you can go over the cap space before the regular season starts., but am unsure.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a tough situation. Love the offer. He was my favorite cb on the market. Wish they would have at least done this right away in fa. Have a bad feeling the bears match and we are left with nothing.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll be gone anyway if they don't give him every penny that we were going to give him.

I think you're missing the point , or I haven't done a good enough job of explaining it, but we all get the gist.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offer is greater than $12m per year. We appear to have waited for Chicago to sign a few players and eat up some cap space. Hope we structures it in a way that will be painful for them. NFLN reported the Bears intended to match the deal all along. At least we will have made it difficult.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if Fuller's offer sheet is in line with or in excess of Trumaine Johnson's, which was 5 years, 72.5M, 34M guarnteed.

Johnson's deal set a market, and Fuller is better, younger, and more talented.

Here's the elephant in the room, unfortunately:

The Bears are still loaded with cap space. The signings they've made haven't changed that. This isn't a situation where they will need to scramble to make other moves first if they want to keep him. They can easily afford to match the offer sheet for Fuller, and unless they really see it as an overpay, that's what I'd expect them to do. Especially when the alternative is losing Fuller for nothing.

It'll be fun to imagine for the next few days but I fully expect Fuller to be a member of the Chicago Bears next week.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If Fuller ends up in Green Bay, and the Pack then somehow resigns Davon House, that would give them the secondary of Fuller-House.

Is that good or bad?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers is done with savings, or even if not, they could restructure Cobb, Matthews or whoever, so they're not precluded from making other moves.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're missing the point , or I haven't done a good enough job of explaining it, but we all get the gist.

No, I'm not missing the point, I understand the purpose of keeping a guy off the market, but we aren't in agreement of the value and purpose, or lack thereof to me, of the transition tag.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So either we get a corner with a massive contract or the bears just paid a crap ton it will be interesting to see what kind of money gute three at him if he signs with the bears

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what did we offer to him? A long term contract? Or just the 1 yr 12 mil

It's definitely a lucrative multi-year deal.

The Bears were willing to offer him 1/12.9 with the transition tag, so a 1/12 offer sheet on our end would sure not dissuade them from matching.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's the elephant in the room, unfortunately:

The Bears are still loaded with cap space. The signings they've made haven't changed that. This isn't a situation where they will need to scramble to make other moves first if they want to keep him. They can easily afford to match the offer sheet for Fuller, and unless they really see it as an overpay, that's what I'd expect them to do. Especially when the alternative is losing Fuller for nothing.

It'll be fun to imagine for the next few days but I fully expect Fuller to be a member of the Chicago Bears next week.

I do too. The only thing I can't figure out is this:

If the Bears value him so much that they'll match basically any reasonable offer, why didn't they extend him already? Or, at least, give him the franchise tag so they were guaranteed to keep him? It only would have been a few million more and they aren't at all strapped. The transition tag is a weird move.

So I guess the little sliver of possibility here is maybe they don't really value him? The only other reason to do the transition tag is so that someone else can tell you what you're going to have to pay him. And if the Bears' strategy is to let other teams (a rival, no less) dictate the contract terms of their players, they're stupider than I realized.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously, I should have been more clear. if we were actually get him, wouldn’t this pretty much deplete our cap space?

No way of knowing without seeing how the cap hits are structured. We don't even know as far as I know what the hits are for Graham yet.

There are numerous ways in which we could still free up space for this year -- extensions for Rodgers or others would be the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online