Kyle Fuller offer sheet - resigns with duh B*@rz

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#Packers have signed #Bears CB Kyle Fuller to an offer sheet. Chicago placed transition tag ($12.9067 million on Fuller). So things will get interesting in the NFC North as the rivals compete for the former first-round draft pick.

This could only be to raise the price but man it would be sweet to land him! Do your thing, Gute!

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They will... but f**k that would be so nice

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How long do they get to decide if they match or not?

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bears have plenty of money we won’t get him

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a win-win.

Either we get a good CB which we need, or we make Chicago have a more difficult cap situation.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and I thought the Bears had 7 days to match LOL

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They still have the space to do it if they want to, but I think it helps that they waited until they had already committed money to Robinson, Burton, Amukamara, Gabriel, Daniel, Acho, and Lynch. The spending spree might give them a bit of pause. We'll see.

It would be huge if they pull it off. Fuller was arguably the best corner last year of any that were on the market while also being the youngest with the most athleticism.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Per Nagler, this is not a bidding war situation. The Packers have made their offer and the Bears either match it or they don't. Match it and he's theirs and it's done. Decline and he's ours. We can't come back and up the ante.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Rapoport says that another team tried to sign Fuller to an offer and it was declined. So we're probably talking about a fairly hefty deal.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They still have the space to do it if they want to, but I think it helps that they waited until they had already committed money to Robinson, Burton, Amukamara, Gabriel, Daniel, Acho, and Lynch. The spending spree might give them a bit of pause. We'll see.

It would be huge if they pull it off. Fuller was arguably the best corner last year of any that were on the market while also being the youngest with the most athleticism.

Also, the Bears may have other plans, and matching may screw that up.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Just in case anyone has forgotten, coming out of college Fuller was a 6' 190 lb corner with 33" long arms who ran a 4.40, was in the 80+% in his jumps, and had solid agility numbers for a big corner. He's supremely talented.

Fuller's first season in Chicago was very uneven. He gave up a lot of plays while also coming up with a lot of ball production (4 INT; 10 PBU; 3 FF).

His sophomore campaign was much steadier and showed growth.

He missed the entirety of 2016 with injury.

Then he came back in 2017 and was the best version of himself to date. He broke up or intercepted 24 passes last year (22 PBU, 2 INT).

He's a really good football player and he's only 26.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We included a contract clause - anytime Fuller plays in a city that rhymes with Michago, he gets an extra $2m

Haha. It wasn't that long ago that teams did include clauses like that in their offer sheets. Not quite that ludicrous, but clauses like "if he is not the highest paid defensive back on the team he gets a bonus of X per year". Poison pills as they were called which I believe are illegal now.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Like most of you, I expect that the Bears will match and he'll stay in Chicago. But it would be hilarious if the Bears passed on franchise tagging Fuller to save a few million and then lost him because they didn't like how we structured the deal. I guess forcing them into a contract that's disadvantageous would be some sort of consolation prize...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haha. It wasn't that long ago that teams did include clauses like that in their offer sheets. Not quite that ludicrous, but clauses like "if he is not the highest paid defensive back on the team he gets a bonus of X per year". Poison pills as they were called which I believe are illegal now.
yeah, I think after the MN ******** of Seattle with Hutchinson the league cracked down on that stuff

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This off season really makes me dislike TT even more...and relish the fact that he’s no longer GM even more. We would have never had this much activity if he was GM. I’m dead serious when I say that he would’ve been content on resigning Morgan Burnett and Richard Rodgers and trying to fill the rest of the holes through the draft and undrafted free agents. It’s a shame when we get this excited because we sign a guy to an offer sheet!!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why the transition tag is so dumb.

You let another team negotiate the terms of your contract to a player. You don't even control the negotiations, other teams do, and so you either agree to it or let them walk. If you let them walk, you get nothing.

What is the point? Why does anyone even use it?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why the transition tag is so dumb.

You let another team negotiate the terms of your contract to a player. You don't even control the negotiations, other teams do, and so you either agree to it or let them walk. If you let them walk, you get nothing.

What is the point? Why does anyone even use it?

To buy time by keeping him from hitting free agency.

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great data, Dantes. The kid can play some ball and seems to be hitting his stride. This could be the kind of guy we leave on one side of the field for years to come. I am NOT getting my hopes up but man oh man would this be a sweet pull by Gute. The simple fact he had the stones to go for the gusto only further cements in my mind we have the right man for the job moving forward. I really will be surprised if the bears let him walk but Pace isn't exactly the most consistent guy in the league so who knows? Yet another day with something to talk about at least... G P G!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts