Kyle Fuller offer sheet - resigns with duh B*@rz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Obviously, I should have been more clear. if we were actually get him, wouldn’t this pretty much deplete our cap space?

It would take a big chunk out of it no doubt, but we have a lot coming off the books after this season. Cobb and Matthews alone will mean 30M in space opening up, and that's in addition to the fact that the cap has steadily gone up by about 10M per season. I'm guessing the cap hit is low in year one and big thereafter.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way of knowing without seeing how the cap hits are structured. We don't even know as far as I know what the hits are for Graham yet.

There are numerous ways in which we could still free up space for this year -- extensions for Rodgers or others would be the first place.
True, I guess I am just thinking they had to give him a pretty sizable offer. And getting him would require some more changes to free up cap space.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I'm not missing the point, I understand the purpose of keeping a guy off the market, but we aren't in agreement of the value and purpose, or lack thereof to me, of the transition tag.

I'm not so sure about the value of the transition tag anymore either, since it seems there have been some changes made to it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Bill Barnwell is slaughtering Bears fans over this on Twitter right now. They're defending Pace. It's pretty funny.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I thought signing Wilkerson meant we didn't have the cap room to do this?!

I love message board cap guru's.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll be gone anyway if they don't give him every penny that we were going to give him.

No, I'm not missing the point, I understand the purpose of keeping a guy off the market, but we aren't in agreement of the value and purpose, or lack thereof to me, of the transition tag.

Because having the guy tagged shuns teams away damn near every time from even negotiating.

The team that signs him now has to keep cap space tied up in a guy they might not get for 5 days when most of the other quality guys will be gone by the time it's decided.

Teams use it because most other teams won't the the up cap on a guy they might not get when they could use it on other guys.

Pretty much for the exact reason why we are screwed at CB now if they match

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
No way of knowing without seeing how the cap hits are structured. We don't even know as far as I know what the hits are for Graham yet.

There are numerous ways in which we could still free up space for this year -- extensions for Rodgers or others would be the first place.
At the moment we also have full access to the cap amount designated for the rookie draft. And as noted we don't know how any other signings are structured.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do too. The only thing I can't figure out is this:

If the Bears value him so much that they'll match basically any reasonable offer, why didn't they extend him already? Or, at least, give him the franchise tag so they were guaranteed to keep him? It only would have been a few million more and they aren't at all strapped. The transition tag is a weird move.

So I guess the little sliver of possibility here is maybe they don't really value him? The only other reason to do the transition tag is so that someone else can tell you what you're going to have to pay him. And if the Bears' strategy is to let other teams (a rival, no less) dictate the contract terms of their players, they're stupider than I realized.

I totally agree that the transition tag is a very strange move. That's why I questioned its use. If you match, you're literally saying, "We can't figure out what the right offer is for you, so we're just going to let the open market decide and we'll pay that."

It's puzzling because the franchise tag would not have been much more and then they would have controlled the market because no one would have given up 2 first rounders for Fuller. As it is they basically let him hit the open market and now have to pay open market price.

I can see your theory that perhaps they don't value him as highly as others -- it's plausible. Still at the end of the day with the space they have and with his age and abilities I just can't see them letting him walk to a rival with no compensation.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm asking because I don't know, is this guy even very good? What I remember about him is in 2014 he had an amazing start then tailed off big time at the end of the year. I didn't really hear much of the guy the next 2 seasons in 2015 and 2016 (out the entire year). Then I suppose last year in 2017 he must have been great because everyone is going nuts about him. Just watched a highlight video of him and he seems just ok. Thoughts?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree that the transition tag is a very strange move. That's why I questioned its use. If you match, you're literally saying, "We can't figure out what the right offer is for you, so we're just going to let the open market decide and we'll pay that."

It's puzzling because the franchise tag would not have been much more and then they would have controlled the market because no one would have given up 2 first rounders for Fuller. As it is they basically let him hit the open market and now have to pay open market price.

I can see your theory that perhaps they don't value him as highly as others -- it's plausible. Still at the end of the day with the space they have and with his age and abilities I just can't see them letting him walk to a rival with no compensation.
The transition tag is something the players wanted. Think about it: a team and a player have different ideas on the players value. Slap the transition tag and the offer the player gets, sets his value.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm asking because I don't know, is this guy even very good? What I remember about him is in 2014 he had an amazing start then tailed off big time at the end of the year. I didn't really hear much of the guy the next 2 seasons in 2015 and 2016 (out the entire year). Then I suppose last year in 2017 he must have been great because everyone is going nuts about him. Just watched a highlight video of him and he seems just ok. Thoughts?

He's plenty good, and with the youth and potential to be even better.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

He has always been a bit of a feast/famine player where he will have his down games and his really exceptional ones. On balance, I would say he’s a young, high quality starter. He’s certainly not elite, though there’s still the possibility of improvement. But relative to the types of corners that tend to get out on the market, he’s on the high, high end. Most guys as good as Fuller or better never see free agency.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The transition tag is something the players wanted. Think about it: a team and a player have different ideas on the players value. Slap the transition tag and the offer the player gets, sets his value.

Isn't that literally what free agency is?

Wouldn't most players that want to stay where they are take an identical offer as the top offer they get in free agency anyway?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some important info:

If Chicago refuses to match, then Fuller joins the Packers at the price on the offer sheet. Since both teams reside in the same division, it seems unlikely the Bears let Fuller go but it’s not an absolute certainty.

The transition tag price on Fuller is $12.9067 million. The Bears have five days to decide to match the offer or let the former first round pick head North.

Either way, the Packers win. They either get a good young talent at cornerback or they drive up his price for their longtime rival.

Source: https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...-kyle-fuller-signs-offer-sheet-with-green-bay

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forgive me if I am re-asking a question I feel many of us still have. I am a player guy and admittedly have somewhat limited knowledge when it comes to the minutiae of cap space and the like. Are we still able to sign other guys or do we need to make sure we have the space to absorb the hit resulting from the signing should it happen? I read all the comments and couldn't extrapolate the answer to this question...Thanks in advance.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Most baller power move in NFL free agency. Period. Win win situation.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bears match Packers offer. sign him to 4yr $56m contract.
glad they didn't wait and let 5 days go by and let the other cbs out there get signed.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forgive me if I am re-asking a question I feel many of us still have. I am a player guy and admittedly have somewhat limited knowledge when it comes to the minutiae of cap space and the like. Are we still able to sign other guys or do we need to make sure we have the space to absorb the hit resulting from the signing should it happen? I read all the comments and couldn't extrapolate the answer to this question...Thanks in advance.

You'll still need the space in addition to the Fuller offer, but you can still sign guys or make trades.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bears match Packers offer. sign him to 4yr $56m contract.
glad they didn't wait and let 5 days go by and let the other cbs out there get signed.

Oh well. Keep on truckin' , Gute.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Packers had to have the cap space available to make the offer. The offer tied up that amount, same as if they'd franchise tagged someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts