Kizer

D

Deleted member 6794

It looks like I am quoting you in that last paragraph Wimm. Sorry, I highlighted what I wanted to quote and then wrote below it but that does not work. Maybe because I erased the 2nd part which I did not want to quote?

The mistake probably lies directly after my post you wanted to quote. It must read [/quote] at that point to make it work correctly.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like I am quoting you in that last paragraph Wimm. Sorry, I highlighted what I wanted to quote and then wrote below it but that does not work. Maybe because I erased the 2nd part which I did not want to quote?
quotes always start with {quote} and end with {/quote} except use square brackets. the = post: and member: stuff tells which post is quoted. If you do edit to fix a quote, remember to delete the one the software sticks in at the very end of the post.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Kizer is Gute's guy, remember :)

montro, I kinda think that the Browns dumping Kizer on the Pack was more akin to saying the hell with it and tossing an item intended to be recycled into the trash bin because you don't want to walk to the recycling bin.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was pretty obvious that Boyle's decision making and accuracy aren't anywhere close for a quarterback having a chance at being successful at the NFL level.
While he had some nice plays in the preseason he conpleted less than 50% of his passes against second and third stringers and put up a passer rating of under 70.

There are several issues with your way of thinking here. First of all, you forgot the part about him playing behind a 2nd an 3rd string OL and throwing mostly to guys who didn't make the roster. Second, it's a small sample size to make such a blanket statement. Third, the Packers saw far more of him in practice than you have and Gute wouldn't keep him around if he had no potential. Fourth, you're letting yourself get into the old mindset that preseason games are anything more than glorified practices. There is no game planning in preseason. Coaches run plays on the basis that they would like to experiment to see how different things might work in situations where they would never call those plays in a real games.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
There are several issues with your way of thinking here. First of all, you forgot the part about him playing behind a 2nd an 3rd string OL and throwing mostly to guys who didn't make the roster. Second, it's a small sample size to make such a blanket statement. Third, the Packers saw far more of him in practice than you have and Gute wouldn't keep him around if he had no potential. Fourth, you're letting yourself get into the old mindset that preseason games are anything more than glorified practices. There is no game planning in preseason. Coaches run plays on the basis that they would like to experiment to see how different things might work in situations where they would never call those plays in a real games.

I don't "have a dog in this fight" but......not sure why you are getting so worked up about a guy that so far has only proven that as an UDFA QB, he showed enough to get a spot on the roster.
Wasn't like he had much competition for the job, especially once they shipped Hundley out. Making the 53 is about the biggest nod he gets from me, I guess the Packers didn't want to take a chance of losing him by trying to slide him to the PS.

As far as not having much to throw to in Preseason, he actually ended up throwing to a lot of the same guys Rodgers did in the regular season.

Hard to get too excited about rookies in the preseason. Most recently, Hundley and Callahan at times looks spectacular in the preseason, we know how those guys turned out. Glad to see that you like him, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss other peoples opinions on what he has shown thus far, which isn't much....IMO.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should really sign Fitzpatrick then he can add another team in his resume

Reaction score
Maybe what the Packer organization and its new coaches can learn from a player like Taysom Hill, is how to recognize players with usable skills, other than the obvious. I have no clue how or who on the Saints decided to try him out in other aspects of the game. Was it Taysom himself saying to coaches "I can do this if you give me a chance"? Did he say that to the Packer coaches? I have no clue. I am also not holding this over the Packers head as a huge mistake, but an example of how sometimes thinking outside the box by a special teams coach or even the head coach can pay off in small ways and sometimes it is the little things that can add up to win games or energize teammates to play harder. In hindsight, I know Taysom Hill probably wouldn't have made the Packers much better, but I would have enjoyed watching him every Sunday, much more than what I got out of Kizer anyway.
I’m not sure it may have been mentioned. People are comparing him to Janis which misses the whole point I think? Janis was one dimensional and couldn’t play QB. I’d much rather have a guy that’s s #3 QB and can come in and finish a game if needed. But the bonus is he’s pretty good on ST. I watched several games where he was very good on ST coverage. The gadget player was just a bonus and showed how universally talented he is.
He didn’t need to compete with Janis he’s a designated QB they are not even competing for the same primary position

I’d much rather use a #53 slot on a 3rd string QB that can produce decent on ST and sprinkle in at Receiver. That’s such a rarity.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I’d much rather use a #53 slot on a 3rd string QB that can produce decent on ST and sprinkle in at Receiver. That’s such a rarity.

Couldn't agree more. There probably aren't many teams that have a #3 QB that can step in and actually do all that well, so my theory has always been to carry two QB's on the 53 and your developmental 3rd QB on your PS. If during the season you lose your 1 and 2, you are probably shopping for a vet anyway, unless your season is over already. As you point out, Hill isn't just a guy that ends up on your game day inactive, he is a guy that gets quite a few snaps doing a lot of things and in a pinch, can play QB. I don't think he is the greatest QB yet, but probably better than what most teams have for their #3.

I kept wondering in both the first game of the year and the last, when Rodgers went down, who backs up Kizer in that game, since Boyle is inactive? Cobb? Good luck even having a prayer winning in that situation.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts