Kizer

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we got to see him play. I'm thinking we don't have our back-up QB. I did not like his arm much. I think I would rather find one in free agency than draft one. This season is sure one to forget. I hope we make some very good decisions here is the next few months.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kizer is hot garbage. The Browns fleeced us out of Randall. The interceptions he has thrown this year he was practically begging the defenders to catch. Not even Nathan Peterman threw interceptions that bad.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has an arm and some mobility, but he doesn’t know how to play QB yet, maybe ever

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we got to see him play. I'm thinking we don't have our back-up QB. I did not like his arm much. I think I would rather find one in free agency than draft one. This season is sure one to forget. I hope we make some very good decisions here is the next few months.

As I mentioned in another thread, I can't knock Kizer too hard for today. The same reasons Rodgers was struggling this year with young rookie receivers and a system that's become devoid of big plays, not to mention decline in Jimmy Graham and that brutal drop by Tonyan which was inexcusable. Considering what he was working with, I really didn't expect much out of him, and at least he actually throws the ball unlike that *** Hundley. He is 1000x better than Hundley.

Now, I think we do need to get another QB. We gotta make sure the competition is hot so he isn't given a carte blanche to be lazy like that cancer Hundley.

But at the same time I'd be willing to see how he does in our new coach's system and see if he can keep his backup spot.

D

Deleted member 6794

He has an arm and some mobility, but he doesn’t know how to play QB yet, maybe ever

Kizer might have a strong arm but he throws some terrible balls as well.

I really didn't expect much out of him, and at least he actually throws the ball unlike that *** Hundley. He is 1000x better than Hundley.

Kizer hasn't shown anything to believe that he's an upgrade over Hundley.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I actually wished we had seen more of Kizer and a few other backups in the past 4 games. Losing to the Falcons and the Jets wouldn't have bothered me to much and had that happened, we would be in the 5th position of the draft. Today didn't tell us enough about Kizer, but if I had to base decisions on his performance today, I wouldn't be too high on thinking he is a solid #2 QB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kizer might have a strong arm but he throws some terrible balls as well.

Kizer hasn't shown anything to believe that he's an upgrade over Hundley.
I wasn't making a declaration that Kizer was worth a ****. Some new Brett Favre threw a ball 60 yards thru some goal posts from his knees one time and he didn't amount to **** either.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wasn't making a declaration that Kizer was worth a ****. Some new Brett Favre threw a ball 60 yards thru some goal posts from his knees one time and he didn't amount to **** either.

Every year there are quarterback prospects that have a great arm but don't excel in the NFL because they don't grasp how to perform at a decent level against pro defenses. Unfortunately Kizer seems to fall in that category.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kizer just does not have it. Backup QB is a need for this team.
there aren't enough good starters in this league so anyone with decent ability are getting those last starting jobs. that leaves little or nothing for backup jobs. unless you want to blow some biggish money on a former starter, who could probably start for a bottom feeder, you're not going to get a competent backup...and the only reason you'd do that is if you are a serious contender. the Packers aren't a serious contender, they have much bigger needs than backup qb, so spending money (or an early draft pick) on that position would be a waste. Kizer's fine. he's got legs and if he's not under siege, has quality wrs, and gets good reps in practice, he could get you through a game or two. look at what was out there with him yesterday. lol

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
there aren't enough good starters in this league so anyone with decent ability are getting those last starting jobs. that leaves little or nothing for backup jobs. unless you want to blow some biggish money on a former starter, who could probably start for a bottom feeder, you're not going to get a competent backup...and the only reason you'd do that is if you are a serious contender. the Packers aren't a serious contender, they have much bigger needs than backup qb, so spending money (or an early draft pick) on that position would be a waste. Kizer's fine. he's got legs and if he's not under siege, has quality wrs, and gets good reps in practice, he could get you through a game or two. look at what was out there with him yesterday. lol

Ask Philly if it was a waste to pay Foles what they did. I might agree with a backup for Rodgers being less important if the Packers are in rebuild mode. But if they aren't, with an aging QB like Rodgers, if you think you are going to take a run at the Super Bowl, I would prefer having a much better backup than Kizer.

I also think you can get by with a "lessor" backup if you have a solid defense and enough other weapons on offense. The Packers don't seem to have either.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ask Philly if it was a waste to pay Foles what they did. I might agree with a backup for Rodgers being less important if the Packers are in rebuild mode. But if they aren't, with an aging QB like Rodgers, if you think you are going to take a run at the Super Bowl, I would prefer having a much better backup than Kizer.

I also think you can get by with a "lessor" backup if you have a solid defense and enough other weapons on offense. The Packers don't seem to have either.
foles was their starter. the only place he could go was backup. they're starter now is on a rookie deal and they're coming off a super bowl. of course you keep foles. that's why i said if you're a serious contender you would do that. saying "Packers" and "super bowl run" in the same sentence isn't realistic now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
foles was their starter. the only place he could go was backup. they're starter now is on a rookie deal and they're coming off a super bowl. of course you keep foles. that's why i said if you're a serious contender you would do that. saying "Packers" and "super bowl run" in the same sentence isn't realistic now.

Or they trade Foles to a team needing a starter. As it turned out, Foles saved their season once again, but fell 4 snaps short of a $1M bonus (33% of snaps and playoffs) due to his injury and leaving the game yesterday. That has to sting more then his ribs.

I think we are on the same page though, given the current state of the Packers, backup QB might be the least of their concerns and even with an improved roster in 2019, not even Nick Foles could take them all the way if Rodgers goes down.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The analogy that I made about Kizer is this: 75% of the time he does something positive, or at least doesn't do something negative. the other 25% he's like that scene from Little Nicky with the blind street corner preacher when Little Nicky walks past him and he says 'YOU...Make the Lord VERY NERVOUS'

The way I remember Rodgers was he was 3rd year in the offense as Favre's backup before he knew a post pattern from a draw play. So when I say I'm not ready to give up on Kizer yet, I think I'm gonna end up being right on this one.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers should trade Kizer for a draft pick. He's never going to amount to much. Find a qb needy team and hopefully get a 4th round out of them. Give Boyle a shot and bring in another young guy to compete. Boyle showed more promise than Kizer

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers should trade Kizer for a draft pick. He's never going to amount to much. Find a qb needy team and hopefully get a 4th round out of them. Give Boyle a shot and bring in another young guy to compete. Boyle showed more promise than Kizer

Good luck with that.

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So you remember the Bears game? Mack rushed Kizer, and Kizer handed him the ball. I agree with much of everything you said except Kizer can get you through a game or two. I just don't believe he can he is not good. I believe Boyle has talent and am looking forward to seeing next pre season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points. I’d like to see a vet as backup QB, but that’s about sixth on my list of what GB needs. Kizer is better than Hundley and that’s probably gonna have to be good enough for 2019. Beef up the right side of the O line to protect 12.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6th or 16th on the list.
Everything should be looked at and improved.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think we are on the same page though, given the current state of the Packers, backup QB might be the least of their concerns and even with an improved roster in 2019, not even Nick Foles could take them all the way if Rodgers goes down.

Unfortunately I'm not convinced Rodgers will be able to take the Packers all the way in 2019.

I believe Boyle has talent and am looking forward to seeing next pre season.

Boyle has a strong arm but I'm not sure he will ever have enough knowledge to succeed against NFL defenses.

Good points. I’d like to see a vet as backup QB, but that’s about sixth on my list of what GB needs. Kizer is better than Hundley and that’s probably gonna have to be good enough for 2019.

Once again. Kizer showed nothing to make me believe he's an upgrade over Hundley.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm not convinced Rodgers will be able to take the Packers all the way in 2019.
Fully agree with this. Unless Gute can pull off some real magic in Free Agency and has a draft like the 2017 Saints had, which we won't fully know the results of for awhile, I think 2019 is going to be one of the first years in many where I won't be thinking Super Bowl on Day 1.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you remember the Bears game? Mack rushed Kizer, and Kizer handed him the ball. I agree with much of everything you said except Kizer can get you through a game or two. I just don't believe he can he is not good. I believe Boyle has talent and am looking forward to seeing next pre season.
i DID qualify that with "if he's not under siege, has quality wrs, and gets good reps in practice..." so, if they fix the line, if number ones are playing with him, and he's the focus of practice, who knows. he's more athletic than hundley by a mile, and again, it's not like they're going to pay for a more competent backup with the needs they have.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fully agree with this. Unless Gute can pull off some real magic in Free Agency and has a draft like the 2017 Saints had, which we won't fully know the results of for awhile, I think 2019 is going to be one of the first years in many where I won't be thinking Super Bowl on Day 1.
yup. as i said months ago, get ready for a lot of 8-8, 9-7. 10-6 if they're really lucky. the extension was/is baffling. yes the market is the market but why bump the market 10+%. the team's best players all got old at the same time and it's in need of a rebuild...badly in need of a rebuild. they should have waited. after this year do you think they'd still offer $33.5m/yr with a year left on his contract? nope. they'd see what cousins gave min for 30 and laugh. they'd have said "the current market has topped out. at your age and recent injuries let's do 4 at $25 fully guaranteed. take it or leave it. we've got a rebuild to do." look at this list. Rodgers is totally out of whack...https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/08/29/nfl-highest-paid-qbs/

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to go back to drafting back-ups and grooming them to trade. I haven't seen a good back-up in GB since Matt Flynn. JMO

Members online

Latest posts