Kizer

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I know you probably won't watch this, but maybe you haven't watched some of Hill's highlights?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

As far as who he would have replaced on the roster, I would have taken him over Janis and Davis, just to name a few. The only part of your argument I would agree with, the Packers didn't keep him because they didn't know what they had, but I don't think they looked very hard either.

I will admit this is an easy hindsight argument, based on what we now know, but I would hope you would at least admit that he is a pretty decent player to have on your team and it doesn't matter if you are the worst team or the best team in the NFL, he is more than just a one dimensional player.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go back to this year's preseason games and take a look at Boyle's decision making.

So you make a blanket statement about a guy's abilities as a whole based on a handful of preseason quarters where he is learning a rather complicated offense for the first time? Really? BTW, be more specific please, because the kid looked pretty good for a rook in this system.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you probably won't watch this, but maybe you haven't watched some of Hill's highlights?

As far as who he would have replaced on the roster, I would have taken him over Janis and Davis, just to name a few. The only part of your argument I would agree with, the Packers didn't keep him because they didn't know what they had, but I don't think they looked very hard either.

I will admit this is an easy hindsight argument, based on what we now know, but I would hope you would at least admit that he is a pretty decent player to have on your team and it doesn't matter if you are the worst team or the best team in the NFL, he is more than just a one dimensional player.
i give a big, so what to that "highlight" tape. He's not a better gunner than Janis was, nor davis. Neither. he's not a better return man than Davis. and you still think they're taking Rodgers off the field to run a gadget play and if so, it's worth it to keep him on the active game day roster.

He doesn't run better than Williams or Jones. He's not a WR. he may have been better than our replacement return men we had to use due to injury, but he is not and was not better than our return men. and again, it took the saints 2 seasons to find a way to use him after they figured out he wasn't anything more than an athlete and couldn't play QB and traded for Teddy bridgewater.

If he wasn't our 4th string preseason QB, nobody cares who Taysom Hill is.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If he wasn't our 4th string preseason QB, nobody cares who Taysom Hill is.

Oh I would have cared and probably wondered why the Packers didn't try to sign him as an UDFA ;) I think if you ask a Saints fan who he is, most will know a lot about him.

Not sure why its so hard to see that the guy has worked his *** off to carve a niche in the NFL for himself and the fact that the Packers had him and than lost out on that. Even comparing him to Jeff Janis or Trevor Davis is insulting, but whatever.

I did discover who was responsible for actually seeing the potential in Hill. First it was Sean Payton and than special teams coach Mike Westhoff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...agues-creativity-boom/?utm_term=.2540ba56e12a

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...tons-new-toy-a-thor-terback-named-taysom-hill

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not a better gunner than Jeff Janis or Trevor davis. and he's not a better return man than Davis either. He's an athlete and a nice story. He used to play QB, that's why it's interesting. I'm sure he's a nice guy, works hard, I've said that since he started in this league. Never said it was hard to see he's worked hard, in fact, that's the only reason he's made anything and i've said so. Multiple times. he's a nice guy, works hard, he's an athlete. They have room on their roster so they found him something to do when it was apparent he wasn't going to be their back up QB. 2 years later, which is much more time than a training camp, they've found work for him and traded for a huge question mark of a back up QB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He's not a better gunner than Jeff Janis or Trevor davis. and he's not a better return man than Davis either.
Thinking that might be the same logic that the Packers used in their decision making. Davis has a career 22.6 Kick return average. Hill is at 24.9 Janis is currently not employed in the NFL and Davis is probably not that far behind him. Bottom line for me, I would much rather have a single dynamic player like Hill doing the same job that most teams have to carry 2-3 players on the roster for.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thinking that might be the same logic that the Packers used in their decision making. Davis has a career 22.6 Kick return average. Hill is at 24.9 Janis is currently not employed in the NFL and Davis is probably not that far behind him. Bottom line for me, I would much rather have a single dynamic player like Hill doing the same job that most teams have to carry 2-3 players on the roster for.
and every big return he had here would be negated by a penalty anyway. Hill was barely better than Montgomery at returning kicks. probably had 1 less called by penalty. The Saints took him on as a qb, which is what you, and everyone else wanted him kept as. And he didn't cut it, he cut it so poorly they traded for teddy flipping Bridgewater to take that spot. Think about that. 2 years later he's a QB that peforms doing other things. That's nice, he's a hardworker. I'm proud of him for that. But let's not pretend his some phenom. He's a middle of the road special teams player, except he used to be a QB. and say what you want, Janis was a better gunner than Hill. he's marginally better, probably due to penalty more than anything LOL, than a guy you think doesn't belong in the league. think about that. then tell me what a mistake it was letting Hill go. Saints like him, because he's a likeable guy. He's not Hester, he's not a good QB, He's not Steve Tasker or even Jeff janis on special teams. but he's a former QB that has some highlights for a winning team.

Let's give the Saints some holes at WR, DB, RB and Linebacker, and see how many roster spots they save for a nice guy that works hard, but really does nothing great and they have someone else at a WR position that can do his job just as well. I guarantee they're not keeping as the back up QB then

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I would have cared and probably wondered why the Packers didn't try to sign him as an UDFA ;) I think if you ask a Saints fan who he is, most will know a lot about him.

Not sure why its so hard to see that the guy has worked his *** off to carve a niche in the NFL for himself and the fact that the Packers had him and than lost out on that. Even comparing him to Jeff Janis or Trevor Davis is insulting, but whatever.

I did discover who was responsible for actually seeing the potential in Hill. First it was Sean Payton and than special teams coach Mike Westhoff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...agues-creativity-boom/?utm_term=.2540ba56e12a

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...tons-new-toy-a-thor-terback-named-taysom-hill

Well then, we should hire one of those guys as our next HC.

Seriously, I tried reading all of Poker's and Poppas and Mondio's and Rodell's posts about Hill and to me it seems like they are all saying the same thing. He would not be the same player in GB as he was in NO.

I agree with Mondio that if he hadn't been on the Packers roster for a short time the vast majority of Packer fans wouldn't know who he is.

I agree with Poppa, and I think Poker was saying this as well that had he stayed with the Packers it would have been as the third QB and he would have been inactive for pretty much every game. He didn't show enough to be kept in that capacity so he was not considered worth keeping around.

Someone in GB missed the boat on his other abilities or they just decided he wan't worth the roster spot. Someone may have recognized his athletic ability but I'm not sure anyone was creative enough to understand how to utilize it.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They were coaches in the NFL that had won a Super bowl. Do you really think they couldn't see that Taysom Hill was an athlete? who was he going to replace? We needed every down players, hill is not. it was a toss up if they could even keep someone as worthless at receiver as Davis for a PR duty. Now people think we should have kept 2 situational only players? He's not that great of a return man. he's not a special teams ace. I can think of 14,000 more plays I'd rather run with Rodgers at QB than Hill.

Let's assume though that you guys are correct, the staff just didn't see any value to having Hill or that he couldn't do things on the football field, even though anybody with 2 eyes watching at home could see he was an athlete. But had they kept him, who's spot on the roster was he taking, and then who was he bumping off the active day roster to be a gadget player. I thin Janis was a better cover man, Davis was at least as good of return man, nobody better be playing QB unless rodgers is hurt, who should he have replaced? Remember, the Saints brought him in as a QB on their roster, and then year later traded for Teddy Bridgewater. Let that sink in.
After watching Hundley... how about his spot.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And you’d have seen worse QB play. After a full season, they traded for A disabled Teddy Bridgewater to take the back up QB spot.
lol you are probably right... but then again after watching Hundley play last year ... i’m not so sure.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Someone in GB missed the boat on his other abilities or they just decided he wan't worth the roster spot. Someone may have recognized his athletic ability but I'm not sure anyone was creative enough to understand how to utilize it.

Now you are caught up and get the point! :)

I actually think TT or someone in Scouting was smart enough to recognize his athletic ability to reach out and sign Hill as an UDFA. I also acknowledge that I do think the Packers were hoping to sneak him through the waiver wire and get him back and misjudged other teams interest in him. However, I do not think the powers to be (Zook/MM) would have created the swiss army knife that Sean Payton and Mike Westhoff have. A guy that can do a lot of different things, none of them really at a fantastic level, but better, equal to or close enough to what you get out of keeping 3 players like Janis, Davis and Callahan on your roster.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Holy Crap, I was trying to find the "Crazy Guy" video when he went bezerk when the Browns traded Kizer away, who he termed "A Future Hall of Famer". I found this little diddy from 2012, when he appears to be a Packer Fan :eek: and still crazy!

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Backup QB's usually always **** the bed when thrown into the game after an injury. Rodgers was 17-of-33 passing for 128 yards, zero touchdowns, and an interception before his blow up game against Dallas when Favre was injured. Give Kizer a break.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Backup QB's usually always **** the bed when thrown into the game after an injury. Rodgers was 17-of-33 passing for 128 yards, zero touchdowns, and an interception before his blow up game against Dallas when Favre was injured. Give Kizer a break.
Problem is, Kizer was a starting QB before coming to Green Bay, granted it was for Cleveland, but he still should be better than what we saw.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holy Crap, I was trying to find the "Crazy Guy" video when he went bezerk when the Browns traded Kizer away, who he termed "A Future Hall of Famer". I found this little diddy from 2012, when he appears to be a Packer Fan :eek: and still crazy!

I never would have guessed Matt Flynn's dad looked like that.

That was hilarious and yet at the same time depressing to think that there are Packer fans like that and I am not even talking about his opinions about Flynn or Rodgers, he is entitled to those.

On another level does anyone see any similarities between this guy's contempt for Rodgers and PFC's contempt for Josh McDaniels. I'm not saying they are the same person but now that I think about it I have never seen them in the same room together.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem is, Kizer was a starting QB before coming to Green Bay, granted it was for Cleveland, but he still should be better than what we saw.

Still, QB's should have the benefit of at least a week of practice with first-team reps before they're thrown to the wolves (us armchair gm's). The well-documented knock on Kizer is he will need a lot of work to become an NFL quarterback. The Browns threw that out the window by starting him without sitting him behind a veteran, as a result, I think his whole first year was a waste of time. I think he needs two years behind Rodgers before I'd consider knowing who we have as a prospect.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also acknowledge that I do think the Packers were hoping to sneak him through the waiver wire and get him back and misjudged other teams interest in him.
As I remember that situation, we put both backups out on the street hoping that we'd get at least one back. That's what happened but I think everyone hoped that it would be Hill. One also has to surmise that they didn't misjudge the outside interest, but merely felt there was another player that needed to be protected on the 53 more than Hill. In hindsight that seems wrong as we've sorely needed a quality backup, but the decision may have been about choosing the lesser of two evils.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not saying it is a big fault not to have found a place for Hill because he came out as a QB. But he turned out to be a good Kick Off returner which until Breeland (and this year Davis finally did it well imho); we did not have one and I always thought that we did not ever exhaust all possibilities to find one that was already on the team. And then after you find out he can return kicks; maybe you find another role for him.

Neither Breeland nor Davis did a good job returning kickoffs this season.

So you make a blanket statement about a guy's abilities as a whole based on a handful of preseason quarters where he is learning a rather complicated offense for the first time? Really? BTW, be more specific please, because the kid looked pretty good for a rook in this system.

It was pretty obvious that Boyle's decision making and accuracy aren't anywhere close for a quarterback having a chance at being successful at the NFL level. While he had some nice plays in the preseason he conpleted less than 50% of his passes against second and third stringers and put up a passer rating of under 70.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You do realize it probably takes one long return to affect the stats. I thought both Breeland and Davis (better than in the past though his stats might have been better b4) had better form by running fast up to the blockers. That is my opinion despite stats. And I think they will eventually break one and then have better stats. And in the meantime, by running fast to the blockers, they will not put us in a deep hole.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It looks like I am quoting you in that last paragraph Wimm. Sorry, I highlighted what I wanted to quote and then wrote below it but that does not work. Maybe because I erased the 2nd part which I did not want to quote?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Fixed it for you. ;)

You do realize it probably takes one long return to affect the stats. I thought both Breeland and Davis (better than in the past though his stats might have been better b4) had better form by running fast up to the blockers. That is my opinion despite stats. And I think they will eventually break one and then have better stats. And in the meantime, by running fast to the blockers, they will not put us in a deep hole.

If you quote someone, make sure not to delete any of the vital information at the beginning or the end of what pops up after you post their quite. Also, you don't want to type anything in between those 2 items.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts