Kizer

D

Deleted member 6794

i DID qualify that with "if he's not under siege, has quality wrs, and gets good reps in practice..." so, if they fix the line, if number ones are playing with him, and he's the focus of practice, who knows. he's more athletic than hundley by a mile, and again, it's not like they're going to pay for a more competent backup with the needs they have.

Once again, Kizer has shown absolutely nothing to make me believe he could win a game even while being put in a better situation.

yup. as i said months ago, get ready for a lot of 8-8, 9-7. 10-6 if they're really lucky. the extension was/is baffling. yes the market is the market but why bump the market 10+%. the team's best players all got old at the same time and it's in need of a rebuild...badly in need of a rebuild. they should have waited. after this year do you think they'd still offer $33.5m/yr with a year left on his contract? nope. they'd see what cousins gave min for 30 and laugh. they'd have said "the current market has topped out. at your age and recent injuries let's do 4 at $25 fully guaranteed. take it or leave it. we've got a rebuild to do." look at this list. Rodgers is totally out of whack...https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/08/29/nfl-highest-paid-qbs/

Rodgers wouldn't have agreed to a contract like that resulting in the Packers being in a true rebuilding process. It's mind-boggling that some fans truly believe HOF quarterbacks are easy to replace.

D

Deleted member 6794

Should’ve kept Hill and that’s all I’m going to say. They screwed That up smh

The Packers could have kept Hill as a potential weapon in different situations but he's not ready to be a backup quarterback in the NFL.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I get thinking Rodgers is now overpaid, but I wouldn't panic based on this season alone. While I think pretty much every NFL player is "overpaid" in what they all are being paid in comparison to the the rest of us Joe's, I would rather spend more on Aaron Rodgers and his upside than save $5M on guys like Stafford, Smith, Cousins, etc.

Sure it would be great to have a QB that can do as much and is on a rookie contract and have all that money to sign other players, but how realistic is that as far as having it and then relying on it?

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather spend more on Aaron Rodgers and his upside
Unless we get the appropriate head coach that can maximize whatever Rodgers has left, I'm not sure anymore that he has an upside.
I think the barometer as to the real knoweledgable people in the NFL feel about Rodgers upside will be if we start seeing the top rated NFL coaching candidates passing up Green Bay for other head coaching jobs.
If this happens, I think, we are probably in trouble.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Personally, I think too much is being made of Aaron Rodgers right now. Sure, he just got a big paycheck, he and the Packers had a bad season and Rodgers played most of the year with a bad knee, but if you think he isn't going to come back in 2019 and play hard and if given support, play well, then I guess I want to hear what alternative plan you have. There isn't a position right now on the Packers, including coaches, that I feel more set at than QB. For the Packers to return to winning, they need to solidify the OL and the defense, as well as find a group of coaches that know how to get it done on both sides of the ball and special teams.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I think too much is being made of Aaron Rodgers right now. Sure, he just got a big paycheck, he and the Packers had a bad season and Rodgers played most of the year with a bad knee, but if you think he isn't going to come back in 2019 and play hard and if given support, play well, then I guess I want to hear what alternative plan you have..
I have to hope that he will come back next season with a vengeance and a chip on his shoulder, determined to return to form and silence his critics. If that doesn't happen, that would be a huge disappointment. But there is no alternative plan, we're going to sink or swim with Rodgers for the foreseeable future.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers wouldn't have agreed to a contract like that resulting in the Packers being in a true rebuilding process. It's mind-boggling that some fans truly believe HOF quarterbacks are easy to replace.
i didn't say anything about replacing him. i said they should have waited until now and offered less based on his age, recent injuries/performance, and team needs. do you think they'd still offer the same deal today? i don't think they would.

https://twitter.com/bykevinclark/status/1080556913467613185

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, Kizer has shown absolutely nothing to make me believe he could win a game even while being put in a better situation.
i wasn't trying to convince you he could. i'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt in a good situation. we've never seen that. and heck...there's only one team in the league who can realistically expect their backup to win a game and that's phi...and maybe bal with flacco as backup.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we got to see him play. I'm thinking we don't have our back-up QB. I did not like his arm much. I think I would rather find one in free agency than draft one. This season is sure one to forget. I hope we make some very good decisions here is the next few months.

Hasn't been impressive so far, but last Sunday was not an ideal situation (no Adams, no Bahktiari, not much of anything). I'm not quite ready to close the book on him yet, but it's obvious he needs to step it up a bit.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I think too much is being made of Aaron Rodgers right now. Sure, he just got a big paycheck, he and the Packers had a bad season and Rodgers played most of the year with a bad knee, but if you think he isn't going to come back in 2019 and play hard and if given support, play well, then I guess I want to hear what alternative plan you have. There isn't a position right now on the Packers, including coaches, that I feel more set at than QB. For the Packers to return to winning, they need to solidify the OL and the defense, as well as find a group of coaches that know how to get it done on both sides of the ball and special teams.

Lest we forget that even Brett Favre was able to clean up some of his less desirable tendencies late in his career. I see no reason why Rodgers cant get back to a more balanced passing attack and getting the ball out faster.

D

Deleted member 6794

A third string QB and inactive every week? MM& Zook wouldn't have made him the novelty player he is and you know it.

Hill was active for every single game for the Saints this season, playing a total of 181 offensive snaps as well as 343 on special teams.

And what makes you think he doesn't?

Go back to this year's preseason games and take a look at Boyle's decision making.

i didn't say anything about replacing him. i said they should have waited until now and offered less based on his age, recent injuries/performance, and team needs. do you think they'd still offer the same deal today? i don't think they would.

You claimed the Packers should have offered Rodgers less money and told him to take it or leave it. In my opinion that sounds a lot like you being ready to move on from him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hill was active for every single game for the Saints this season, playing a total of 181 offensive snaps as well as 343 on special teams.
Correct and had the Packers retained him, I kind of have a sneaky feeling that he would have seen as many snaps as Boyle did as a Packer. I could be wrong, but I only remember seeing Hill used as a QB by the Packers in preseason games, nothing resembling the ways in which the Saints found ways to use him. I don't think Hill would have been a difference maker in Green Bay, but his use by the Saints shows quite a gap between the creative minds of both teams.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct and had the Packers retained him, I kind of have a sneaky feeling that he would have seen as many snaps as Boyle did as a Packer. I could be wrong, but I only remember seeing Hill used as a QB by the Packers in preseason games, nothing resembling the ways in which the Saints found ways to use him. I don't think Hill would have been a difference maker in Green Bay, but his use by the Saints shows quite a gap between the creative minds of both teams.
why? Because Geronimo Allison has never blocked a punt or kick? because we never had a player switch positions? Because after 2 years the Saints found a use for an athlete as a gadget player? Seriously, if he wasn't the 4th string QB here at one point, nobody would even know who he is. We had enough other holes and players that actually could fill a role for the other 95% of the game that matters that we didn't have space to keep a gadget player. He wouldn't even have replaced Davis as a punt returner and that's about the only specialty position this team could afford.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying it is a big fault not to have found a place for Hill because he came out as a QB. But he turned out to be a good Kick Off returner which until Breeland (and this year Davis finally did it well imho); we did not have one and I always thought that we did not ever exhaust all possibilities to find one that was already on the team. And then after you find out he can return kicks; maybe you find another role for him.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A third string QB and inactive every week? MM& Zook wouldn't have made him the novelty player he is and you know it.

He’s a football player. Idc how
Much of a “novelty” player you think he is. He’s all over the place in NO. Because they actually know how to utilize their guys.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
He’s a football player. Idc how
Much of a “novelty” player you think he is. He’s all over the place in NO. Because they actually know how to utilize their guys.
My point is that Green Bay most likely would not have used him that way. They rarely let Cobb throw the ball yet he had been a QB in the past. When was the last time they did a tackle eligible pass, even when they had former TEs that grew into the tackle position on the roster? If Hill did not make the active roster as the backup QB, he would not have played a snap in GB. I do agree that NO found ways to use him, even as a "novelty" player. That kind of thinking is why MM is looking for work, Zook will soon join him in the unemployment line, and the Saints are favorites to get to the SB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point is that Green Bay most likely would not have used him that way. They rarely let Cobb throw the ball yet he had been a QB in the past. When was the last time they did a tackle eligible pass, even when they had former TEs that grew into the tackle position on the roster? If Hill did not make the active roster as the backup QB, he would not have played a snap in GB. I do agree that NO found ways to use him, even as a "novelty" player. That kind of thinking is why MM is looking for work, Zook will soon join him in the unemployment line, and the Saints are favorites to get to the SB.
i would disagree. the saints are a favorite to win the Super bowl because they have Brees, Kamara, Ingram, Thomas, Smith and a really good oline. Defensively they have the former Lattimore, Apple, Cameron Jordan, Rankins, etc and almost everyone is healthy. they're going to be tough to beat in NO.

Point being, they have a roster where they can keep an athlete at the 3rd QB position and use his athleticism for certain things. Our roster was not in nearly as good of shape to be able to keep such a marginally effective player over players that were going to be every down type players or at least have that capability. a year after everyone thought he should have been our #2 QB, they traded for teddy bridgewater to replace him on the roster at any meaningful position outside of "athlete".

as it stood, doing the plays you need to win down in and out to be anything in this league was what GB was missing this year. Not gadget plays. They weren't good enough to run gadget plays. those are done just to keep a team interested when they're doing everything else really well. They aren't something you take time out to practice, when you can't do the every down stuff right.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe what the Packer organization and its new coaches can learn from a player like Taysom Hill, is how to recognize players with usable skills, other than the obvious. I have no clue how or who on the Saints decided to try him out in other aspects of the game. Was it Taysom himself saying to coaches "I can do this if you give me a chance"? Did he say that to the Packer coaches? I have no clue. I am also not holding this over the Packers head as a huge mistake, but an example of how sometimes thinking outside the box by a special teams coach or even the head coach can pay off in small ways and sometimes it is the little things that can add up to win games or energize teammates to play harder. In hindsight, I know Taysom Hill probably wouldn't have made the Packers much better, but I would have enjoyed watching him every Sunday, much more than what I got out of Kizer anyway.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe what the Packer organization and its new coaches can learn from a player like Taysom Hill, is how to recognize players with usable skills, other than the obvious. I have no clue how or who on the Saints decided to try him out in other aspects of the game. Was it Taysom himself saying to coaches "I can do this if you give me a chance"? Did he say that to the Packer coaches? I have no clue. I am also not holding this over the Packers head as a huge mistake, but an example of how sometimes thinking outside the box by a special teams coach or even the head coach can pay off in small ways and sometimes it is the little things that can add up to win games or energize teammates to play harder. In hindsight, I know Taysom Hill probably wouldn't have made the Packers much better, but I would have enjoyed watching him every Sunday, much more than what I got out of Kizer anyway.
They were coaches in the NFL that had won a Super bowl. Do you really think they couldn't see that Taysom Hill was an athlete? who was he going to replace? We needed every down players, hill is not. it was a toss up if they could even keep someone as worthless at receiver as Davis for a PR duty. Now people think we should have kept 2 situational only players? He's not that great of a return man. he's not a special teams ace. I can think of 14,000 more plays I'd rather run with Rodgers at QB than Hill.

Let's assume though that you guys are correct, the staff just didn't see any value to having Hill or that he couldn't do things on the football field, even though anybody with 2 eyes watching at home could see he was an athlete. But had they kept him, who's spot on the roster was he taking, and then who was he bumping off the active day roster to be a gadget player. I thin Janis was a better cover man, Davis was at least as good of return man, nobody better be playing QB unless rodgers is hurt, who should he have replaced? Remember, the Saints brought him in as a QB on their roster, and then year later traded for Teddy Bridgewater. Let that sink in.

Members online

Latest posts