Kellen Winslow Jr

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm keeping my eye on that #3 TE battle between Perillo and Backman. Friday vs Cleveland will be the first big chance for one to outshine the other. I was less than excited when the packers drafted Backman in '15. He had an average college career against below average talent. He showed squat last year. But I hope he proves me wrong, even though I'm gunning for Perillo.

Backman possesses the athleticism being targeted by NFL teams. Unfortunately it seems he's not capable taking advantage of it though.

H

HardRightEdge

There's no doubt McCarthy wants to attack the middle of the field and stretch defenses with speed at the tight end position. That's why the team brought in Cook and told Rodgers to lose some weight to get faster..
While attacking the middle of field with speedy TEs has been an obvious growing trend in recent years, and while the absence of such a TE was a woeful shortcoming in Packerland next year, McCarthy's recent comments indicated he believes the ante has been upped once again in 2016.

I alluded to the "Burfict Rule". Others call it the "Beckham Rule". For those who are not aware, it's the new rule that says a player will be automatically ejected upon receiving a second unsportsmanlike conduct call.

While neither Burfict nor Beckham incurred two such penalties, and while Peter King has observed that the dual penalties have occurred only twice in the last 3 years, I believe the chilling affect on bad behavior will be evident. This is important with regard to defensive player behavior. While Beckham's hissy fits were more pathetic than dangerous, the remaining headhunters and big hitters who prowl the middle of the field will need to dial it back.

When a guy is flagged once, he runs a high risk if he continues aggressive behavior. Getting tossed is a much bigger disincentive than a second penalty. A player can justify the penalty by thinking, "yeah, but I kept the guy from catching the ball".

The new rule is analogous to the NBA personal foul rule. An NBA player with 5 fouls is not the same defender as he is with 4 or fewer. And the earlier in the game he approaches ejection, the more cautious he's prone to be if he's not serving bench time to minimize the risk. And just as an NBA player does not want to get to 5 fouls leaving no margin for error, some NFL big hitters won't want to get the first flag leaving no margin for error.

"Burfict Rule" may not be apt because given his history you'd think he'd be the last guy to change his behavior. That will not be the case with others.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Anyone know the status of Cook and his ankle?

Sounds like Winslow is still working out as hard as ever and has his mind made up that he wants to be a Packer. I don't know enough about Winslow and what he would bring to team chemistry, but with the Status of Cook unknown and Perillo being less then average, is this a guy that could add some veteran depth and talent to the TE position?

http://www.tmz.com/2016/10/04/kellen-winslow-jr-several-nfl-teams-interested-comeback/

H

HardRightEdge

Anyone know the status of Cook and his ankle?

Sounds like Winslow is still working out as hard as ever and has his mind made up that he wants to be a Packer. I don't know enough about Winslow and what he would bring to team chemistry, but with the Status of Cook unknown and Perillo being less then average, is this a guy that could add some veteran depth and talent to the TE position?

http://www.tmz.com/2016/10/04/kellen-winslow-jr-several-nfl-teams-interested-comeback/
Judging from the video, I'd say he still has the hands. But does he look particularly quick or fast? I'm not seeing it.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure how you can go from a multi millionaire with so much going for you, to having to rob a trailer home in a few years. Cocaine must be a hell of a drug if you trade a luxury lifestyle to living in the streets for it.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Went to post it in its own thread, and this thread popped up.

You didnt have to click on it..

Sure, I get that. But doesn't the blurb on this sub-forum say "General Green Bay Packer Football Discussion - current roster, coaches, matchups, trades, free agency and everything else to do with the Pack."?

He's been out of football for 5 years and his only connection to the Packers was a very brief visit 2 years ago. Usually you guys tend to move these things to the "All Other Teams Discussion" sub-forum so that this kind of stuff doesn't muck up the one that's specifically dedicated to Packer discussion. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not to get into a debate on where things should or shouldn't be posted, but until the Packer news bot has its how thread, its frustrating to post in "All Other Team Discussions"" thread, simply because it gets buried pretty fast by the news bot. Kind of would like to see a section called "Bot News from around the NFL" and another section "Posters chat about all else in the NFL".

Just my opinion.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If we were in a bar and saw the espn headline..

Would we be silent on it? Or discuss it..

This isnt any different

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we were in a bar and saw the espn headline..

Would we be silent on it? Or discuss it..

This isnt any different

Honestly, if I was part of a group of Packer fans gathered somewhere to specifically discuss the Packers, I would probably take it to a different table if I want to change the subject.

Isn't this exactly what the "Other Teams Discussion" sub is for?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't this exactly what the "Other Teams Discussion" sub is for?
This answers it pretty well:
Not to get into a debate on where things should or shouldn't be posted, but until the Packer news bot has its how thread, its frustrating to post in "All Other Team Discussions"" thread, simply because it gets buried pretty fast by the news bot. Kind of would like to see a section called "Bot News from around the NFL" and another section "Posters chat about all else in the NFL".

Just my opinion.
Mine too. But I just work here, I don't get to drive.
The latest bump was just an addition to an existing thread.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, if I was part of a group of Packer fans gathered somewhere to specifically discuss the Packers, I would probably take it to a different table if I want to change the subject.
I'd consider it relevant to Packer discussion, because if I was sitting with a bunch of Packer fans I would probably say "Hey, remember that tight end we brought in for a workout a few years back?".

But I'm not a big stickler for what topics belong where anyway. It just doesn't affect my life that much.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, I get that. But doesn't the blurb on this sub-forum say "General Green Bay Packer Football Discussion - current roster, coaches, matchups, trades, free agency and everything else to do with the Pack."?

He's been out of football for 5 years and his only connection to the Packers was a very brief visit 2 years ago. Usually you guys tend to move these things to the "All Other Teams Discussion" sub-forum so that this kind of stuff doesn't muck up the one that's specifically dedicated to Packer discussion. ;)

Just my opinion.

This answers it pretty well:
Mine too. But I just work here, I don't get to drive.
The latest bump was just an addition to an existing thread.
folks, there is a special forum for discussing the rules.

Oops. I think there is a separate forum for pointing out wrong forum post violations. I probably should have posted there.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
folks, there is a special forum for discussing the rules.

Oops. I think there is a separate forum for pointing out wrong forum post violations. I probably should have posted there.

so what you are trying to say is "WTF?"

H

HardRightEdge

Thompson brough in Chris Canty twice, years apart, but didn't pull the trigger. Canty's doing radio in New York for ESPN. Just thought I'd share. Or do I need to find a Canty FA thread?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson brough in Chris Canty twice, years apart, but didn't pull the trigger. Canty's doing radio in New York for ESPN. Just thought I'd share. Or do I need to find a Canty FA thread?

Depends on why you bring him up. If it is to suggest Gute bring him in for another look we already have a FA thread for that.