Kellen Winslow Jr

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think they're bad, I think they're overly cautious which is a big difference.

There's absolutely no doubt the Packers medical staff is one of the most conservative in the league.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean McCarthy is relaying information from the docs though either. MM could be blowing smoke to keep everyone in the dark... is sure as hell wouldn't be the first time as we've talked about in another thread lol.

I don't understand the reasoning behind it though as it doesn't give the Packers a competitive advantage. The fans get annoyed by overly optimistic prognosis though once they realize players miss significantly more time than originally assumed.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand the reasoning behind it though as it doesn't give the Packers a competitive advantage. The fans get annoyed by overly optimistic prognosis though once they realize players miss significantly more time than originally assumed.

Who knows, and I'm not saying that's what happens either, it's pure speculation on my part but I think based on how things have gone it holds some water. I mean take Cook for example, the docs were telling MM that he could play the same week as his surgery? I highly, highly doubt that but I could be wrong I suppose. I just find it hard to believe a doctor could be that wrong or off on a prognosis for a players return.

D

Deleted member 6794

Who knows, and I'm not saying that's what happens either, it's pure speculation on my part but I think based on how things have gone it holds some water. I mean take Cook for example, the docs were telling MM that he could play the same week as his surgery? I highly, highly doubt that but I could be wrong I suppose. I just find it hard to believe a doctor could be that wrong or off on a prognosis for a players return.

I highly doubt the doctors being wrong about their prognosis as well. But what's the point of McCarthy obviously lying to the media about it???

At some point people realize he wasn't telling the truth.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt the doctors being wrong about their prognosis as well. But what's the point of McCarthy obviously lying to the media about it???

At some point people realize he wasn't telling the truth.

That's the $1 Million dollar question. I don't see a competitive advantage to it but then again I have no idea what kinds of games these guys like to play. As Mark Wahlberg said in The Departed...

"My theory on feds is that they're like mushrooms; Feed 'em s*** and keep 'em in the dark. You girls have a good day."

Replace "feds" with "Media" and/or "fans".

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would Bill Belichik my way out of giving the media anything useful if I was coach or GM. The main question is this: What do you gain from telling the media/fans everything vs not telling them everything?

The media and fans will only hurt you with more information. You will never gain anything from transparency, not even respect in this industry.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be nearly as POed if they told me nothing as opposed to falsehoods or partial truths.

Reaction score
He might be a long shot but I'm glad to see we are continuing to focus on the TE position and its depth. This position has struggled since Finley's injury and its apparency was more noticeable after several WR went down last year. Lack of TE talent and depth was a key factor to our Offensive Woes, so any attempt at improvement in Our TE depth is noted.
Maybe he learned his lesson at Seattle about taking what he's given. We could use a 3rd TE that's a difference maker

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be nearly as POed if they told me nothing as opposed to falsehoods or partial truths.
No report of Rodgers bad knee last year until his season OVER. At least I don't recall one? Then he skips the pro bowl to have surgery..

This was an injury either very new, or it was not being reported prom man

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No report of Rodgers bad knee last year until his season OVER. At least I don't recall one? Then he skips the pro bowl to have surgery..

This was an injury either very new, or it was not being reported prom man.
#1 - Highly paid players LOOK for reasons NOT to play in the Pro Bowl and risk injury... especially coming off of a season ending loss the week before.
#2 - Rodger's surgery was to remove some scar tissue from his 2004 surgery. Happens every year that previous surgery sites need some attention. The players play with the aggravation all season and have it taken care of after the season.

D

Deleted member 6794

What do you gain from telling the media/fans everything vs not telling them everything?

The media and fans will only hurt you with more information. You will never gain anything from transparency, not even respect in this industry.

What do you gain from lying to the media and fans though??? It's especially maddening during the offseason as there's absolutely nothing to gain from it.

He might be a long shot but I'm glad to see we are continuing to focus on the TE position and its depth. This position has struggled since Finley's injury and its apparency was more noticeable after several WR went down last year. Lack of TE talent and depth was a key factor to our Offensive Woes, so any attempt at improvement in Our TE depth is noted.
Maybe he learned his lesson at Seattle about taking what he's given. We could use a 3rd TE that's a difference maker

I'm not convinced Winslow at age 33 and two years removed from playing football is still capable of being a difference maker.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When discussing injuries, it could mask whether or not a team is in the market for a certain free agent replacement. During the season it can throw off the game plans of opposing coordinators, based on who will play. It can also keep opposing defenses from keying in on players' injuries. If defensive linemen knew that Rodgers had a gimpy knee, they would absolutely use that to their advantage, hitting a little lower.

D

Deleted member 6794

When discussing injuries, it could mask whether or not a team is in the market for a certain free agent replacement. During the season it can throw off the game plans of opposing coordinators, based on who will play. It can also keep opposing defenses from keying in on players' injuries. If defensive linemen knew that Rodgers had a gimpy knee, they would absolutely use that to their advantage, hitting a little lower.

I understand withholding informations about injuries, especially during the season. It's a dufferent story lying about prognosis in the offseason though (Cook as an example this year).

H

HardRightEdge

I understand withholding informations about injuries, especially during the season. It's a dufferent story lying about prognosis in the offseason though (Cook as an example this year).
Perhaps I missed it, but could you reference the precise nature of the "lie" with a quote? My survey of McCarthy quotes as regards Cook don't appear off base.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Cook is the only tight end on the Packers roster capable of stretching a defense and therefore pretty important for the offensive game plan.

I don't consider the team working out Winslow as a sign Cook will miss significant time either.

The Packers bring in street free agents for a workout on numerous occasions during the season with most of them
not even being reported by the media and much less ending in a contract with the team.
The Packers do work out tons of guys, in season and out, but the vast majority are practice squad candidates which could be for any position largely independent of need.

However, the Packers do not often bring in veteran players with lengthy starter resumes for a visit or workout. When they have seen that in past years, such as with Steven Jackson or Chris Canty, a glance at the roster tells you they are investigating filling need. Whether they sign the guy or not, it tells you where a perceived weakness resides.

So, whether or not Winslow may be investigated as a Cook replacement, the mere expression of interest tells you they are not happy with at least one spot for the roster.

Otherwise, why bother? It sure isn't doing the player any favor. Bringing a guy in who can't expect much more than vet minimum, and then saying "no thanks", is hardly a recommendation.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that it matters a lot, but I heard they didn't bring him to gb for a workout, but it actually happened in San Diego where Winslow was.

OP
OP
P

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that it matters a lot, but I heard they didn't bring him to gb for a workout, but it actually happened in San Diego where Winslow was.

Probably meaningless, but maybe deciding it was worth it to send people to San Diego reflects a higher level of interest than usual.

D

Deleted member 6794

Perhaps I missed it, but could you reference the precise nature of the "lie" with a quote? My survey of McCarthy quotes as regards Cook don't appear off base.

I'm sorry, after doing a research it seems like it wasn't McCarthy telling the media Cook will be ready for training camp and coukd have played in June before having surgery. According to several reports the media had the information from an unnamed source.

However, the Packers do not often bring in veteran players with lengthy starter resumes for a visit or workout. When they have seen that in past years, such as with Steven Jackson or Chris Canty, a glance at the roster tells you they are investigating filling need. Whether they sign the guy or not, it tells you where a perceived weakness resides.

So, whether or not Winslow may be investigated as a Cook replacement, the mere expression of interest tells you they are not happy with at least one spot for the roster.

Otherwise, why bother? It sure isn't doing the player any favor. Bringing a guy in who can't expect much more than vet minimum, and then saying "no thanks", is hardly a recommendation.

After Cook started to practice yesterday I don't think the Packers were working out Winslow to replace him. It's possible the team is looking for an upgrade at the third spot on the depth chart though.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm sorry, after doing a reseah it seems like it wasn't McCarthy telling the media Cook will be ready for training camp and could have played in June before having surgery. According to several reports the media had the information from an unnamed source.
That's what I had read, and what the unnamed source said may well have been true, that he could have played if he did not have the surgery.
After Cook started to practice yesterday I don't think the Packers were working out Winslow to replace him. It's possible the team is looking for an upgrade at the third spot on the depth chart though.
That's a fair assumption, an inexpensive upgrade if they can find it. Last year at this time it was Lyerla, until he tore up his knee. McCarthy has observed that the rules more than ever dictate attacking the middle of the field. I assume he was alluding to the new "Burfict Rule". The Cook signing reflects the approach if it wasn't painfully obvious already. TE speed on the cheap was the object with Lyerla; it's still bound to be a consideration.

As it stands, it's Cook, Rodgers and just some guys.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The new Tight Ends coach said he's really impressed with Justin Perillo and his ability to do everything very well. I've always been cheering for Perillo and still believe he has very capable skills waiting to be tapped. Hell maybe this new coach can turn Perillo into the next Gary Barnidge. They are kinda similar. Barnidge is a couple inches taller. But the argument can be made Perillo is a tad faster. Both have reliable hands.

H

HardRightEdge

The new Tight Ends coach said he's really impressed with Justin Perillo and his ability to do everything very well. I've always been cheering for Perillo and still believe he has very capable skills waiting to be tapped. Hell maybe this new coach can turn Perillo into the next Gary Barnidge. They are kinda similar. Barnidge is a couple inches taller. But the argument can be made Perillo is a tad faster. Both have reliable hands.
He looks to run a decent route and has decent hands the little we've seen of him. However, he ran 4.76 at his pro day and he looks it on the field. He's not a very good blocker.

Barnidge ran a 4.65 at the Combine. I can't say I watched Cleveland last season to make a direct comparison.

But lets say you're right, and Perillo tracks Barnidge's progress. In that case, if Perillo can stick around for 6 years as a special team stud doing nothing on offense, then breaks out in his 7th. season, come back in 2020 and remind me I was wrong.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's a fair assumption, an inexpensive upgrade if they can find it. Last year at this time it was Lyerla, until he tore up his knee. McCarthy has observed that the rules more than ever dictate attacking the middle of the field. I assume he was alluding to the new "Burfict Rule". The Cook signing reflects the approach if it wasn't painfully obvious already. TE speed on the cheap was the object with Lyerla; it's still bound to be a consideration.

As it stands, it's Cook, Rodgers and just some guys.

There's no doubt McCarthy wants to attack the middle of the field and stretch defenses with speed at the tight end position. That's why the team brought in Cook and told Rodgers to lose some weight to get faster. I wouldn't mind upgrading the third spot on the depth chart as the players currently competing for it are average at best.

It seems Perillo has sure hands but other than that nothing really jumps out with his game. I guess the Packers were hoping that Backman improves in his second season but because of that obviously not having happened I would be in favor of bringing in another athletic tight end to grab the third spot.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt McCarthy wants to attack the middle of the field and stretch defenses with speed at the tight end position. That's why the team brought in Cook and told Rodgers to lose some weight to get faster. I wouldn't mind upgrading the third spot on the depth chart as the players currently competing for it are average at best.

It seems Perillo has sure hands but other than that nothing really jumps out with his game. I guess the Packers were hoping that Backman improves in his second season but because of that obviously not having happened I would be in favor of bringing in another athletic tight end to grab the third spot.
I'm keeping my eye on that #3 TE battle between Perillo and Backman. Friday vs Cleveland will be the first big chance for one to outshine the other. I was less than excited when the packers drafted Backman in '15. He had an average college career against below average talent. He showed squat last year. But I hope he proves me wrong, even though I'm gunning for Perillo.

Members online

Latest posts