Justin Harrell: Your time has come

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has been touched on in another thread ("From now on Judgement free"), but it deserves a thread of its own.

Justin Harrell's time has come. He's held his own in limited playing time in two games this season, then he was injured, but from what I hear, he is now healthy enough to play. And the timing couldn't be better, playing against a team with a very good running game that likes to run the ball up the middle. It hurts to be without Jolly and Cole, but a DT rotation of Ryan Pickett, Corey Williams, and Justin Harrell, with Daniel Muir possibly getting some snaps as well, just might be good enough to slow down the Cowboys' running game.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson has surprised me with his talent evaluation skills. I hoping that the one guy he didn't over-estimate was Harrell. You're right, now is his time to show that he can be an impact player.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
You watch these two young fresh pups come up and play some valueable minutes down the stretch... Harrell and Muir especially.. strong kids.

Shame about Cole, but alas it is a full contact sport not made for the faint at heart.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's all hope Harrell shows us he is a pleasant surprise as he patrols the middle of the DL against the Cowboys.
I've read some good things about Muir as well and apparently our coaching staff sees something in him to keep him onboard.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard that Muir outplayed Harrell in training camp. Harrell has passed him up since then, but Muir was kept for a reason, so maybe we'll see him. He may be the only player on the roster who hasn't suited up for a game yet.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell: your time is...next year

This has been pretty much hinted at from the get-go, that Harrell is a project and will be a big part of the defensive line down the road(next year). When we got him he was banged up, part of a DEEP d-line,etc. He gets to practice next to the best all 2007, rehab his injury, learn the NFL game at a nice pace, so NEXT YEAR...he can be a big part of the defensive line.

Reaction score
I gotta disagree trom, originally Harrell's time may have been next year, but due to recent injuries his time has been pushed forward to now.

The biggest thing with drafting Harrell is that we've brought him along slowly, as others stated in this thread. He's had the chance to get tips from players like Kampman and instruction from respected coaches like Nun.

With Harrell not having played football in about a full year, bringing him along slowly was needed.

Right about now, having used the 16th pick on a DT is looking like a solid move...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He doesn't have to be a Pro Bowl caliber player but he does need to hold his own. Chances are he'll see about 15 to 20 snaps a game. Corey Williams and Ryan Pickett are really going to have step it up too. They'll need to play more snaps than they are used too.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mike montgomery played pretty well.

we can discuss this till we're blue in the face, and balls, but MM is going to put the people out there he feels can do the job.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Cole and Jolly out, Harrell and Muir shouldn't field too much of a difference. The loss of Jolly is big though, he already has a lot of fans because of his ability to bat the ball down at the line.

Harrell played a similar style in college and has even come up with interceptions. If Harrell can bust up on strength, he'll be fine. Muir is here because he deserves it. The thing about our defensive line is that they're able to play a continuously high level.

The big injury that'll affect us is the one to KGB.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is indeed time for Harrell to show that he is a pro. He's been pampered to some extent, I believe, because he really hasn't been needed. But practice is over now and the game must start. If he doesn't answer the bell for us in a game this important, I see no real future for him in the long haul, certainly not the future that a highly touted DT in college should have. He can make his mark or be one.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
resting an injury and then not playing because the guys ahead of you are purely awesome is pampered?

But his injury is healed, the awesome guys are banged up....im curious to see what he can do.

and btw, if he doesnt do great, thats not an indicator as to how his whole career will go. Look at Super Mario in texas. mediocre rookie year, and now is coming into his own.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
resting an injury and then not playing because the guys ahead of you are purely awesome is pampered?

But his injury is healed, the awesome guys are banged up....im curious to see what he can do.

and btw, if he doesnt do great, thats not an indicator as to how his whole career will go. Look at Super Mario in texas. mediocre rookie year, and now is coming into his own.

I agree. I'm not expecting a great game from him, I would just like to see him hold the point of attack and get some push on pass plays. He could play an important role against the Cowboys, and this may be a great opportunity to show everyone what he can do.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look at these top picks and I expect that when you pick a player in the first round, they should have the skill and ability to be an impact player. If you can't get off the injury list, how in the world can you be an impact player. I look at Hawk and I think he's been a decent player, but at #5 I expected him to be an impact player, a guy who can change the game in your favor. I just thought there were some players in that first round category that could have been more of an impact that Harrel. It seems that his lack of development will mean we have to find a way to sign Williams.

Latest posts