Just A Quick Observation To This Saints Bounty And Aaron Rodgers

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had the 2009-10 NFC Wildcard game gone differently (e.g. Aaron Rodgers completes that pass to Greg Jennings in overtime), then Rodgers would've been the target of that "Bounty defense" that knocked Kurt Warner out of the NFC Divisional playoff game and beat up Brett Favre in the NFC Championship.

If you don't remember, the Packers had surrendered 51 sacks that season (league worst) and 93 QB hits. Rodgers also had a tendency of holding on to the football for too long and avoiding his checkdown receivers.

Good chance that he would've gotten some good licks that game. Might have been a long-term "Blessing in disguise" that they didn't advance past wild-card weekend.

Reaction score
also got to factor in that our Defense that year couldn't stop any above average offense, so we're probably in another shootout which means more shots in on Rodgers... still thou, would have been fun to see if we could have gone all the way, I think we'd be able to whoop up the 09 colts.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had the 2009-10 NFC Wildcard game gone differently (e.g. Aaron Rodgers completes that pass to Greg Jennings in overtime), then Rodgers would've been the target of that "Bounty defense" that knocked Kurt Warner out of the NFC Divisional playoff game and beat up Brett Favre in the NFC Championship.

If you don't remember, the Packers had surrendered 51 sacks that season (league worst) and 93 QB hits. Rodgers also had a tendency of holding on to the football for too long and avoiding his checkdown receivers.

Good chance that he would've gotten some good licks that game. Might have been a long-term "Blessing in disguise" that they didn't advance past wild-card weekend.

I want the packers to win every game they play

Everyone who is hitting a QB is trying to hit them as hard as they can, be it the Saints or any other team. I don't think you can get caught up on what ifs.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't get caught up in what-ifs for sure.

BUT! Players can certainly adjust their aim while making tackles or sacking the QB. You can aim to hit the guy in the shoulder instead of the gut...or in the side of the knee. They are professionals.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt that Aaron was a big target during the Saints vs Packers opening which kicked off the 2011 season at Lambeau.

If you live in Wisconsin, that's not wind making the trees sway.
Oh no.
That's Rodgers and the offensive line and probably a few fans still breathing sighs of relief.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I told Peter King the other day that if I were commish, my penalties for this would be:

• -Any player caught taking or giving cash towards an injury bounty: suspended 4 games and warned that if they ever are found to have participated again in one after this, it will be a lifetime ban
  • -GM Mickey Loomis, banned 1 year
  • -Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams, banned 2 years
  • -Head Coach Sean Payton, suspended 1 full season
    -Team stripped of its #2 pick this year (Patriots already own their #1), and their #1 pick in 2013

You simply HAVE to send a message that this will NOT be tolerated.
When other teams and coaches, assistants, etc. see that even Sean Payton is not untouchable, or a GM, then they will actually never allow injury bounties again and will release a player if they hear anything like that coming up, for fear of their career.

There are enough injuries in this great game, because it's violent as it is. We cannot allow players to intenionally take out other players knees (see Louis Delmas, Bernard Pollard, etc.) or wrench necks (see Washington on Manning).

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Here is the game Jules was talking about where the Redskins tried to kill Peyton:
Can Peyton Manning's neck injury be traced to Gregg Williams? Williams was the Redskins' defensive coordinator on Oct. 22, 2006, for the Washington-Indianapolis game. Last fall, during an NBC telecast, Tony Dungy said Manning's current neck injury stems from that game. Manning's neck got wrenched and his helmet ripped off on a hit by two Washington defenders. We showed the highlight on our show. Manning, after being hit and crumbling to the ground awkwardly, lay there for a second, and when he rose, he stretched his neck and shook his right arm for a second, as if trying to get the feeling back in it.

Afterward, as I wrote last fall in this column, Dungy told me: "Earlier in the game, I'm outraged that there was a flag for roughing-the-passer on Dwight Freeney for just grazing the quarterback's helmet. So I'm yelling at the ref [Scott Green], 'Where's the flag! Where's the flag!' And I don't yell much, but I did then. So I didn't notice Peyton calling timeout and being shaken up. Peyton came to the sideline and said to [backup] Jim Sorgi, 'Jim, start warming up.' As the timeout went on, he said to us, 'I can stay in, but we need to run the ball here.' '' Which the Colts did, settling for a field goal deep in Washington territory.

"Then we sort of forgot about it at halftime, and Peyton seemed fine," said Dungy. "He lit it up in the second half. He was on fire [throwing for 244 yards and three touchdowns]. But that's the year we started cutting back on his throws at practice. I'm not putting two plus two together. I just figure he's getting older and he needs some time off, he's made enough throws. But now, as I look back on it, there's no doubt in my mind that this was the start of his neck problems.'' There's no evidence that Washington's defenders had a bounty out on Manning that night. But it's a question, surely, that begs to be asked. And if I were one of the league investigators interviewing Williams today, it's certainly something I'd explore.

Read more: [URL='http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1oIKIWVEu[/QUOTE']http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1oIKIWVEu[/URL]

Louis Delmas:This M*****F**** tries to injure people all the time. He's been fined for one hit on Jermichael Finley, and gotten away with a cheap shot to his knee before while J-Mike was defenseless.
Here he tries to end Vick's career, but Vick is lucky as hell his feet were not planted... were on the move in the air somewhat.

Here the Falcons FB was not as lucky as his feet were planted at the moment that Delmas hunted his ACL out. This year.

Some of you remember me ranting about Delmas this year before we played them on Thanksgiving. Ironic, isn't it, that he hurt his own knee that game and missed the remaining regular season games, including our game in week 17.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Still waiting for all the facts to play out on this. It's still in the sensationalized mode by the media but if it holds to the seriousness of what is being said I say, Hang em, Hang em High, fines are fine but I want to see long suspensions and loss of meaningful draft picks. I want this team to be crippled for the short term, to the point that no one dare do this again.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Sean Payton should be banned for life at the minimum. He knew about it and allowed it to occur. No excuses.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If a college team is found to have been cheating during the year they won a championship, they have been made to give it up. Saints were warned during the season they won the SB to knock off the bounty system and they ignored it. Strip them of their title. No team will ever want to try it again.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a college team is found to have been cheating during the year they won a championship, they have been made to give it up. Saints were warned during the season they won the SB to knock off the bounty system and they ignored it. Strip them of their title. No team will ever want to try it again.
As much as I agree with you and would like to see it happen, I don't think it will because this is pro sports.
For some reason over turning things based on hindsight is ignored on the pro level.

The punishment does need to be strong enough to send a message to never let this happen again.
So it needs to be more than just a few hundred K in fines which is chump change for a multimillion dollar business.
(The Saints probably make a few hundred K in merchandise alone every day.)

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
In fact, I believe a fine of any amount amounts to nothing of importance. When the Patriots cheated, they got fined half a million and lost a draft pick. The cash (I am only guessing here) was the least of NE's concern. Even if it was several million... so what? If the cheating helped them win the Super Bowl, then the ends justifies the means.

However, if coaches lost their career as a result, these practices would end on the spot.

Belicheat should have been banned for life.

So should Payton.

Put your actions where your mouth is, Goodall.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
be interesting to see what the NFLPA's investigation garners from all this. As much as I can't stand Smith, the NFL has had it's massive weak spots and blind eyes in these types of situations. probably the only real reason this has even gone this far is due to the coverage it's receiving

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
be interesting to see what the NFLPA's investigation garners from all this. As much as I can't stand Smith, the NFL has had it's massive weak spots and blind eyes in these types of situations. probably the only real reason this has even gone this far is due to the coverage it's receiving

My gut reaction is to be rather sceptical of the NFLPA's investigation. If anything I would expect them to protect their players, which in this case means a) making sure none of the players involved get hit with any kind of serious suspensions, b) blaming it on the coaches, c) quietly making it clear that "snitches" are not welcome among the fraternity, and d) coming out with a nice-sounding statement that means nothing.

Maybe I'm wrong.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My gut reaction is to be rather sceptical of the NFLPA's investigation. If anything I would expect them to protect their players, which in this case means a) making sure none of the players involved get hit with any kind of serious suspensions, b) blaming it on the coaches, c) quietly making it clear that "snitches" are not welcome among the fraternity, and d) coming out with a nice-sounding statement that means nothing.

Maybe I'm wrong.

agreed, Smith is just the kind of ****** to do all of the above, especially B. Take no responsibility and pass the buck.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Everyone hits the quarterback, that's something you can't stop.

As far as them taking out Kurt Warner, why wasn't he protected in that game? Just like Favre, the offensive line does deserve some blame there. And they knocked Kurt Warner out on a legal hit.

While the media is so quick to throw it at the Saints and dog them out, I am surprised no one mentions this. Why didn't the offensive lines do a better job in those games for Favre and Warner? All I ever hear is "they put a bounty on them!" but why weren't they protected better? Don't you believe the offensive lines failed their job to protect the quarterback? And yes the failed, especially Kurt Warner, where he was knocked out on a legal hit that was not late.

Staff online

Members online