Julius Peppers: Final play with Bears cost me my job

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-peppers-final-play-with-bears-cost-me-my-job

Peppers essentially says the fact that he was un-able to sack Rodgers on that fateful 4th and 8 in WK17 is why the Bears cut him. I really don't know about this one, then again we're talking about the NFL if a player costs a team a game or a division title players in the past have been cut, but I think the real reason is simply over the bears cap. Plus wasn't he asking for like $34 million for his contract?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think that's why either but if Julius believes it and wants to take it out on the Bears I'm OK with that. :D

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it a little hard to believe they would blame that play on him The secondary completely blew the coverage.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears cut him because of a pending $13M+ cap hit.

D

Deleted member 6794

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-peppers-final-play-with-bears-cost-me-my-job

Peppers essentially says the fact that he was un-able to sack Rodgers on that fateful 4th and 8 in WK17 is why the Bears cut him. I really don't know about this one, then again we're talking about the NFL if a player costs a team a game or a division title players in the past have been cut, but I think the real reason is simply over the bears cap. Plus wasn't he asking for like $34 million for his contract?

Take a look at the video, Peppers was joking.

http://www.packers.com/media-center...e-my-job/3af167cb-131f-4594-8aa2-497283888765

He was released because it saved the Bears approximately $10 million in cap space.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if you guys read the link, but Peppers acknowledges the cost but believes that the Bears would have paid him had he made that play and therefore the Bears made the playoffs. Instead it was just another unsatisfactory season and no reason to make a playoff push. Cut costs and rebuild.

Reaction score
I don't know if you guys read the link, but Peppers acknowledges the cost but believes that the Bears would have paid him had he made that play and therefore the Bears made the playoffs. Instead it was just another unsatisfactory season and no reason to make a playoff push. Cut costs and rebuild.
That IS entirely possible. His chances would've improved had they made if past the divisional game. From what I know Peppers is very humble and is not the type to forecast with his mouth. Which in my mind makes him fit into our team perfectly. He said he is looking forward to seeing everyone and no animosity.. Which I believe. but I have this gut feeling he is going to be explosive this game. They'd better double team or it's gonna get ugly

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

If that is how we got him, I really hope Cushing has a bad game for the Texans soon :whistling:

H

HardRightEdge

There's something to that.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
H

HardRightEdge

On an unrelated matter, I think it interesting to note the QB's choice on that play.

It was 4th. and 8 with 0:46 left on the clock. 3 of the 4 receivers were running go routes; Jones was sitting down about 5 yards past the first down marker...no receiver going to checkdown against the 7 man rush, no receiver sitting down or scraping across in the vacated short middle. Rodgers (1) extended the play using something on the order of 3.0 seconds to release and (2) he passed up Jones on a come-backer at the first down stick. Instead, he went for the home run, throwing off his back foot no less.

Had the ball been a bit more under thrown that it was, I suppose there would have been hue and cry about Rodgers not going to Jones for the first down.

D

Deleted member 6794

On an unrelated matter, I think it interesting to note the QB's choice on that play.

It was 4th. and 8 with 0:46 left on the clock. 3 of the 4 receivers were running go routes; Jones was sitting down about 5 yards past the first down marker...no receiver going to checkdown against the 7 man rush, no receiver sitting down or scraping across in the vacated short middle. Rodgers (1) extended the play using something on the order of 3.0 seconds to release and (2) he passed up Jones on a come-backer at the first down stick. Instead, he went for the home run, throwing off his back foot no less.

Had the ball been a bit more under thrown that it was, I suppose there would have been hue and cry about Rodgers not going to Jones for the first down.

If that play wouldn't have resulted in at least a first down I would have been furious about the officials as Jordy was taken out of the play by one of the Bears DBs which had to draw a penalty.

Reaction score
It was an exciting play. There's only a handful of QB's today who would've been able to make that final drive happen with that success rate on crucial downs. Overall, AR plays well in pressure situations which is why I contend our Offense Scores 26+Pts after our worst offensive performance of the year. Even know Rodgers stats are relatively low compared with the past.. I already know as long as he's on the field were fine. We need clock management this week and we must be patient and just move the chains(although in appreciate the goal if playing fast? In think it's more important we focus on execution. The Bears are famous for over-pursuing on D. IMO we need structure the 1st qtr on O with quick, short, high probability throws and that means involving TEs and RBs We need to use both 1 TE and 2 TE sets frequently (the latter we scored. An 80 yard TD last time we used max protection). Like Dr Phil sais. People do what works

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts