Jordyzzz not your average white guy?

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And it’s one thing to talk about race but another to root for or against players based on their race. Not that anyone is doing that here…
As someone who has been a part of the professional tennis tours, and the PGA and LPGA tours, I can tell you that your well-wishes are, just that: wishes.

I've attended tons of matches with a Williams (Venus or Serena), and there would be hundreds and hundreds of blacks in attendance for their matches, and 100% of those folks would root for the Williams vs the caucasian.

But the other matches, you'd rarely find more than a handful of blacks there to watch.
Also, same thing with Tiger. 99.9% of the blacks at those tourneys rooted for him, against "the man".
That's just the way it is. Reality. I'd like to wish things colorblind too. But they're not. Eugene Kane and those types make sure of that.

Now, back to Jordy. Did anyone see the chat yesterday with Tyler Dunne of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel? Here's an interesting answer he had to a question about Jordy:
A: Tyler Dunne - Getting a handful of Jordy Nelson questions here and rightfully so. The guy's having a remarkable season. Above all, Nelson told me this season that he's on the same page with Aaron Rodgers down to the inch. How he runs his routes. Where he wants the ball. Adjusting to the defense. They really don't need to call out audibles a lot of the time. Rodgers and Nelson know exactly what they're changing a play to just by seeing the defense. That's the result of four years with Rodgers. On top of this -- due to his skin color, teammates joke -- DB's are still underestimating his speed. Nelson can get separation and do damage after the catch. The Packers made out like bandits with that 4-year, $14 million contract extension.
http://www.jsonline.com/packerinsider/133778463.html

Also, I saw Cris Carter on ESPN on Monday, talking about Jordy. He said something like this referring to Jordy:
"I'm not gonna say what I want to say, so I'll just say this:" I guarantee it had to do with Nelson being white. Such a shame that the subject is so sensitive, taboo, that it can't even be mentioned.

Here in Dallas they talk about it on all 3 local sports radios, ESPN, the Ticket, and the Fan. People need to deal with it, not pretend it away.
Anyway, it's real for people like Jordy, Kuhn, and Peyton Hillis to name a few.

Jordy rocks!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As someone who has been a part of the professional tennis tours, and the PGA and LPGA tours, I can tell you that your well-wishes are, just that: wishes.
What you quoted is not wishes, “well” or otherwise. It is a (too mild) statement deploring racism.
This is the beginning of my post which you quoted: “As far as I know, racism and xenophobia have existed as long as humans. I don’t see an argument here that they haven’t or don’t still.” That’s a pretty clear statement on the existence of racism, isn’t it FrankRizzo?

I don’t care who practices racism, it’s wrong. I grew up in an integrated neighborhood and know first hand it exists in both the black and white communities. Of course we all know some members of each race direct their bigotry toward each other, but there is another form of racism in the black community: Racism directed inward. Do you know what a paper bag party is? It’s a party at which only blacks with complexions the same or lighter than a brown paper bag get in. Thankfully it is a term now relegated to history. While I never witnessed such a party, I was surprised to learn there is racism in the black community based upon the relative lightness or darkness of skin.

It is also expressed against professional blacks. There was a time not long ago when black professional athletes overwhelmingly favored white over black sports agents, lawyers and accountants. Here’s a good article on the subject. When he contemplated getting into the sports agency business, Jonnie Cochrane said one of the reasons was to raise the profile of blacks in the business. I think this phenomenon is a sad residue of the history of racism directed toward blacks in this country. This is the other side of the story you told of blacks supporting blacks. I'll bet as black professional golfers and tennis stars become more prominent, their novelty will wear off and the attendance you describe will more closely reflect the general population.

But it is getting better and better. I saw “whites only” signs in the American South as a child (yes, I'm old). Now I am heartened by the progress we’ve made. While I do think it will always exist to one degree or another, I think more and more young people reject racism. No thanks to prominent members of the black community like Eugene Kane, Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson. They have done far more harm than good to their announced aim by their words and actions.

Why you think what I wrote involves some kind of wish detached from reality is beyond me. I am well aware of the issue of race in America and said so. BTW FrankRizzo, I don’t know where you stand on the issue of race. You have given the impression of writing “insensitive” things on the subject. So much so, PackersRS posted this in response to one of your posts, “So much racism and bigotry. The only thing lacking is a white hood and some Johnny Rebel music on the background.” Of course that doesn’t mean you’re a racist - and I sincerely mean that because I don't know you. But you may want to rethink how you present your opinions on race.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jack, I too date way back, and I have had a number of personal experiences. Many. I've mentioned things that still go on today, on the gridiron, behind the scenes, from my Viking fan friend who has some good buddies on the Vikings, and other teams.

Your prediction about the Tigers and Williams sisters & their fans in general, and the future being a novelty wearing off, that's a lovely idea. But sadly it won't happen how you want, and Tiger has been a star for over 15 years, and there are no others in the pipeline still.
Same with the Williams sisters.

When white boxers face off against a black boxer, who roots for who in most cases just because? Is that wrong? Bad? Or natural? When a Mexican boxer takes on a black guy or an American or Russian, each tends to root for their own. What's racist?

Anyway, for Jordy (or Cris Carter) to even mention anything (Peyton Hillis too), you know it's only a fraction of what they have faced, heard, and still do today. That's sad. But it's real.

I love Jordy, and the fact of the matter is he still does benefit a bit -by being white- because some Africans at CB do under-estimate his speed simply because he's caucasian, as they did with Eddie McCaffrey, Don Beebe, and now Eric Decker of Denver.

Also what you mentioned about the Sharptons, Jesse's, and Kanes of the world... you're right. They only have fanned the flames..... but the sad fact of the matter is they still, more than any other spokesmen, influence that race and their opinions, beliefs, more than anyone else. So it's no wonder things are still crappy in terms of race-relations. Good stuff Jack! I think everyone in America would benefit if everyone wasn't too scared to speak their minds about race-relations. It seems people only take their cue from those mentioned above, or the media like CNN. But these discussions here are for the other thread.....

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When white boxers face off against a black boxer, who roots for who in most cases just because? Is that wrong? Bad? Or natural? When a Mexican boxer takes on a black guy or an American or Russian, each tends to root for their own. What's racist?
Using your example, that is not being racist. That is having pride in one's own race.
The skin heads and the *** and the liberal guilty feeling Politically Correct have made it tough for those of us who are non-violent or non racist to have pride in our own white race.
If I stand up and say, "I think it's fresh air to see a white guy in a position doing well where the majority of those in the same position are black" that is not a racist statement unless I'm wearing a white hood.
And someone who overhears that could make the mistake and think I'm making a racist statement or think it's wrong that I'm showing pride for someone of the same race.
But if I was black and I said a similar thing, "It's good to see Tiger woods winning in a sport with the majority being white" then no one would ever accuse me of being racist. The liberal guilty feeling whites would recognize that as a statement of pride and back me up on that.
So I think it's unfair that us white people cannot show pride in our own race without feeling guilty or being labeled as racist when it's not.
No one should have a problem if one wants to be proud of Jody because of his skin color.
As I wrote before, I choose to just see him as a great player no matter his color.
I love Jordy, and the fact of the matter is he still does benefit a bit -by being white- because some Africans at CB do under-estimate his speed simply because he's caucasian, as they did with Eddie McCaffrey, Don Beebe, and now Eric Decker of Denver.
Now your getting into stereotypes.
And if those black defenders want to stereotype Jordy and he beats them because of that then I'm fine with it.
Let them continue to stereotype Jordy so they can be proven wrong.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly.... and I hope and expect to see Jordy doing this time & time again. This week, for Tampa Bay, he will see his old rival from the Big 12, and the Kansas State vs Kansas rivalry, AQUIB TALIB, as a Buccaneer!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Ironically, the passer of that pass was Tampa Bay's Josh Freeman!
Freeman sure would like to have Jordyzzzz back on his team.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2011/11/18/packers_white_wide_receiver_surprises
Packer teammate Greg Jennings said, 'He uses that to his advantage. It's not because he's the white guy. A lot of it has to do with the fact that guys look at him say, "Okay, yeah, he's the white guy, he can't be that good." Well, he is that good. It's easy for someone to say, "Oh yeah, he's like one of those other white receivers,"' Jennings, who is black, told the newspaper. 'He's not. I'm sorry. He's not. He knows how I feel about it. Maybe I'm a little biased because he is a teammate, but from watching him day one to right now, totally different player.' Quarterback Aaron Rodgers agrees with his receivers.
'When you see Jordy out there, you think, 'Oh well, he's a white wide receiver. He won't be very athletic,' Rodgers said on his weekly ESPNMilwaukee radio show. 'I am not sure why he keeps sneaking up on guys.'"

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I happened to catch a little bit of the Jim Rome radio show on Friday. He interviewed Jennings and they were talking about it ... Jennings said that he refers to Nelson as "the ghost". These guys are having fun with it and I think that society as a whole should just shut the heck up and mind their own business. One of my college roommates is a black guy. It's no big deal now...but, being a white farmboy from NE Wisconsin, I can assure you that my exposure to 'folks of color' as his Mom used to call it, was extremely limited...like virtually non-existent. Mickey and I are still HUGE friends 30 years later...we had fun with it back then and still do. I'm 'whitey', he's 'super shine'. We don't care what anyone thinks. We didn't back then and we sure in the heck-fire don't now. This whole thing is a fixation that only those who need to make it a fixation are concerned about. I think it's great and humorous that these guys are battin' each other around. If society as a whole weren't so tight-assed, we'd all be the better for it.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I have no pride whatever in being born Caucasian as I had nothing to do with it: It was an accident of birth. I can honestly say I have never favored one athlete over another because of race. While I don’t think it’s right to cheer on someone just because they are the same race, IMO that’s the least of our problems regarding race. It’s gotten much better, but real racism has real detrimental consequences, even today. And unfortunately I believe some of that racism is being expressed in this thread.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You decide

Attachments

• DSCN7997.JPG
    DSCN7997.JPG
    400.8 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN7998.JPG
    DSCN7998.JPG
    404.5 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN7999.JPG
    DSCN7999.JPG
    380 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN8000.JPG
    DSCN8000.JPG
    409.7 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I happened to catch a little bit of the Jim Rome radio show on Friday. He interviewed Jennings and they were talking about it ... Jennings said that he refers to Nelson as "the ghost". These guys are having fun with it and I think that society as a whole should just shut the heck up and mind their own business. One of my college roommates is a black guy. It's no big deal now...but, being a white farmboy from NE Wisconsin, I can assure you that my exposure to 'folks of color' as his Mom used to call it, was extremely limited...like virtually non-existent. Mickey and I are still HUGE friends 30 years later...we had fun with it back then and still do. I'm 'whitey', he's 'super shine'. We don't care what anyone thinks. We didn't back then and we sure in the heck-fire don't now. This whole thing is a fixation that only those who need to make it a fixation are concerned about. I think it's great and humorous that these guys are battin' each other around. If society as a whole weren't so tight-assed, we'd all be the better for it.
Well-put... I think that sums it up best. I thought Woody Harrellson & Wesley Snipes taught us all a lesson back in the day...... chill.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah....My nephew noticed Jordy was one on one with #23 ????...I decided to just follow Jordy for the play and that is what I got..
You were able to snap that many photos in a split-second.... I need a real camera.
What shots you got.... great timing and angle.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I was watching one of the channels this weekend, damned if I can remember which one because of my loss of short term memory, which is another story...but anyway it was about Jordy and the title was:

PRETTY FLY
for a white guy.

Wes who??????

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts