1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Charles Woodson - True Class

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by BorderRivals.com, Aug 16, 2013.

1. BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +499
    PFT had a bit about Woodson's comments on the DD and Jennings drama: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/16/charles-woodson-doesnt-get-rodgers-criticism/

“I’m not sure where all this stuff is coming from,” Woodson said. “I just don’t understand.. . . I think A-Rod would consider these guys his friends, so for stuff like this to be coming out about him now that the guys are gone, it’s got to be hurtful to him because what are they talking about, to question his leadership ability, his leadership skills? The guy is one of the best players in the NFL, and I think he does a great job as far as leading them into battle.

“I’m not sure where the attacks – and believe me, they are not warranted, for sure – I don’t know where it’s coming from.”

Rodgers has taken the high road thus far, and Woodson said that as much as anything was a testament to his leadership.

“I just think the best thing that A-Rod does, he’s been able to keep a lot of things from getting to him,” Woodson said. “The way he came in following a legend and handled those pressures, his ability to be a steady guy throughout that time and then going out and performing at the level he performed, that shows leadership. And he’s continued to get better. Every player should look at him and say, ‘Here’s a guy who’s really on top of the world, and he’s trying to get better. That’s what I think is so hard to understand about what [Jennings and Driver] said.”

Woodson has his own reasons to be bitter about the Packers because of his own departure this offseason, saying: “Yeah, I got fired. I might be a little bitter about being fired. Who wouldn’t be? But that’s it.”

Absolute class shown by Woodson. Not only does Rodgers' silence speak volumes about his leadership, but these educated and thoughtful comments also speaks volumes on the type of person/leader Woodson is.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,489
    Music to all of our ears

3. I_am_smoked_cheddar

I_am_smoked_cheddar Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you can get in your opponents head and distract him, mission accomplished. That is what is happening. Stop swinging at pitches in the dirt. Mohamed Ali was a master at the art. It has been practiced by some of the best and worst for thousands of years. Some politicians have made a carrier of it, it's called mud slinging.

4. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    And now you know why I still have his picture in my sig.
    I just came here to post this and you scooped me Border...
    HOFer, 1st class guy, Green Bay Packer SB ring wearer and "straight-from-the-mouth" kind of guy.
    I LOVED his "It must be a receiver thing" comment!

5. I_am_smoked_cheddar

I_am_smoked_cheddar Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Your avatar and your signature are completely different . Bozz needs a new sig.

6. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Very perplexing, but I can kind of see Donald and Aaron's point of views.

I've personally always felt like people, fans especially, take the WR's for granted.
    I have a friend who always says "as long as we have 12, I like our chances".
    Some truth to that, but give #12 Bill Schroeder, Terry Mickens, Sanjay Beach, as his starting receivers and I suspect Rodgers would look more Alex Smith like.

I just think that Driver, Jennings, Jordy, Jones, Cobb have been fantastic receivers who risk their heads and necks and have been overlooked often. I suspect that the ex-receivers really did feel that.

Hopefully this crap will rally/motivate the current troops from Rodgers down, and give them that us vs them edge.

7. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,406
    I'm not sure what to make of the whole mess. Rodgers' play is much better but I think these receivers liked Favre's passion more.

8. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +392
    Rodgers will do his talking on the field. Good job Jennings. Pour more gas on the fire

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Drew

The Drew #packergang

Ratings:
    +488
    Hit it right on the head... I still dont believe DD's comments were a stab at ARod... He was just trying to explain what GJ meant... Regardless, GJ is looking like a selfish, self centered, egotistical slob. From a Viking in Ryan Longwell retiring as a Packer and Woodson's comments, GJ's bumping of his gums contradicts all the BS that he is saying about ONE of the games best QBs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,091
    I sure in the heck-fire wouldn't want to be an NFL receiver.

11. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +392
    I'd luv to hear GJs true feelings after the season on why AD got so many touches which limited GJs production. Will he call AD a ball hog or what? Not to the media he won't. As far as I'm concerned that traitor should never be allowed to retire a Packer

12. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994
    I dont think Woodson demanding accountability played a part in him getting fired at all... It was age/injuries/money

Unless you have a link to show different?

13. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Well, I do think it was a contributing factor. Do you have a link to show otherwise?

Woodson's getting $1.8 mil + incentives to play for Oakland this year. Given the sketchy situation we have at strong safety, I doubt money was a deciding factor. We paid Driver $2 mil last season to just hang around; some games he wasn't even on the game-day active roster. It appears that Woodson's being "fired" means he was not offered a pay cut, unless you have a link to show otherwise.

14. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,994
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/191404501.html

15. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I don't think half-thoughtful fans see it that way.

It's more like, "without 12 I don't like our chances".

Jennings is widely regarded as one of the best route runners in the league, assignment-sure and creative when he needs to be. Driver...his record through 2009 speaks for itself.

The fact that Jennings was able to land a national commercial deal off the SB performance, and the fact Driver was able to land the dancing gig on a highly rated show, indicates these guys had national recognition.

Then we have this:

[​IMG]

16. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,686
  17. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,686
    OK, I found a way to get to the link.

"The Packers and Woodson did not seriously discuss a restructured contract. When asked if a pay cut was a possibility with Woodson, Poston said that "I think we're just going in different directions."

That says he was not offered a pay cut, like I said, and confirms that Woodson was "fired". If one chooses to think calling out the coaches was not a factor, I think that might be naive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,994
    Then I am naive. One year to soon rather than one year to late

But we will never know the truth

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Never say never.

20. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,994
    That was my way of saying I am done debating it...

• Like Like x 1
  21. Sunshinepacker

Sunshinepacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +466
    How can Woodson, who didn't sit in on receiver/QB meetings, speak about this topic. Don't get me wrong,I love the fact that he's speaking up in support of the Packers but let's not just assume that Woodson is correct because he's saying things that fans want to hear.

For me, two receivers speaking about Rodgers, one of whom was a model Packer during and after his career, has to mean there's some truth in there somewhere. The real question should be how much and what can the current players do to make sure it's not a problem/concern going forward.

22. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    What the the problem/concern be?

23. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,994
    James Jones aid nothing wrong with Rodgers..AJ Hawk too

24. Sunshinepacker

Sunshinepacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +466
    Yeah, and Jennings/DD didn't say anything when they were on the team either. Players generally don't air issues with teammates in public.

25. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +392
    That's the way it should be. Keep it in the locker rm