Charles Woodson - True Class

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFT had a bit about Woodson's comments on the DD and Jennings drama: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/16/charles-woodson-doesnt-get-rodgers-criticism/

“I’m not sure where all this stuff is coming from,” Woodson said. “I just don’t understand.. . . I think A-Rod would consider these guys his friends, so for stuff like this to be coming out about him now that the guys are gone, it’s got to be hurtful to him because what are they talking about, to question his leadership ability, his leadership skills? The guy is one of the best players in the NFL, and I think he does a great job as far as leading them into battle.

“I’m not sure where the attacks – and believe me, they are not warranted, for sure – I don’t know where it’s coming from.”

Rodgers has taken the high road thus far, and Woodson said that as much as anything was a testament to his leadership.

“I just think the best thing that A-Rod does, he’s been able to keep a lot of things from getting to him,” Woodson said. “The way he came in following a legend and handled those pressures, his ability to be a steady guy throughout that time and then going out and performing at the level he performed, that shows leadership. And he’s continued to get better. Every player should look at him and say, ‘Here’s a guy who’s really on top of the world, and he’s trying to get better. That’s what I think is so hard to understand about what [Jennings and Driver] said.”

Woodson has his own reasons to be bitter about the Packers because of his own departure this offseason, saying: “Yeah, I got fired. I might be a little bitter about being fired. Who wouldn’t be? But that’s it.”

Absolute class shown by Woodson. Not only does Rodgers' silence speak volumes about his leadership, but these educated and thoughtful comments also speaks volumes on the type of person/leader Woodson is.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

If you can get in your opponents head and distract him, mission accomplished. That is what is happening. Stop swinging at pitches in the dirt. Mohamed Ali was a master at the art. It has been practiced by some of the best and worst for thousands of years. Some politicians have made a carrier of it, it's called mud slinging.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
And now you know why I still have his picture in my sig.
I just came here to post this and you scooped me Border...
HOFer, 1st class guy, Green Bay Packer SB ring wearer and "straight-from-the-mouth" kind of guy.
I LOVED his "It must be a receiver thing" comment!

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

And now you know why I still have his picture in my sig.
I just came here to post this and you scooped me Border...
HOFer, 1st class guy, Green Bay Packer SB ring wearer and "straight-from-the-mouth" kind of guy.
I LOVED his "It must be a receiver thing" comment!

Your avatar and your signature are completely different . Bozz needs a new sig.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very perplexing, but I can kind of see Donald and Aaron's point of views.

I've personally always felt like people, fans especially, take the WR's for granted.
I have a friend who always says "as long as we have 12, I like our chances".
Some truth to that, but give #12 Bill Schroeder, Terry Mickens, Sanjay Beach, as his starting receivers and I suspect Rodgers would look more Alex Smith like.

I just think that Driver, Jennings, Jordy, Jones, Cobb have been fantastic receivers who risk their heads and necks and have been overlooked often. I suspect that the ex-receivers really did feel that.

Hopefully this crap will rally/motivate the current troops from Rodgers down, and give them that us vs them edge.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to make of the whole mess. Rodgers' play is much better but I think these receivers liked Favre's passion more.

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
Hit it right on the head... I still dont believe DD's comments were a stab at ARod... He was just trying to explain what GJ meant... Regardless, GJ is looking like a selfish, self centered, egotistical slob. From a Viking in Ryan Longwell retiring as a Packer and Woodson's comments, GJ's bumping of his gums contradicts all the BS that he is saying about ONE of the games best QBs.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I just think that Driver, Jennings, Jordy, Jones, Cobb have been fantastic receivers who risk their heads and necks and have been overlooked often. I suspect that the ex-receivers really did feel that.

I sure in the heck-fire wouldn't want to be an NFL receiver.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd luv to hear GJs true feelings after the season on why AD got so many touches which limited GJs production. Will he call AD a ball hog or what? Not to the media he won't. As far as I'm concerned that traitor should never be allowed to retire a Packer

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont think Woodson demanding accountability played a part in him getting fired at all... It was age/injuries/money

Unless you have a link to show different?

H

HardRightEdge

I dont think Woodson demanding accountability played a part in him getting fired at all... It was age/injuries/money

Unless you have a link to show different?

Well, I do think it was a contributing factor. Do you have a link to show otherwise?

Woodson's getting $1.8 mil + incentives to play for Oakland this year. Given the sketchy situation we have at strong safety, I doubt money was a deciding factor. We paid Driver $2 mil last season to just hang around; some games he wasn't even on the game-day active roster. It appears that Woodson's being "fired" means he was not offered a pay cut, unless you have a link to show otherwise.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I do think it was a contributing factor. Do you have a link to show otherwise?

Woodson's getting $1.8 mil + incentives to play for Oakland this year. Given the sketchy situation we have at strong safety, I doubt money was a deciding factor. We paid Driver $2 mil last season to just hang around; some games he wasn't even on the game-day active roster. It appears that Woodson's being "fired" means he was not offered a pay cut, unless you have a link to show otherwise.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/191404501.html

Agent Carl Poston, who confirmed Woodson's release to the Journal Sentinel early Friday, said his client was not necessarily surprised by the Packers' decision.

"I don't think so," Poston said. "People have been talking about it. I think it was just a business deal."

H

HardRightEdge

Very perplexing, but I can kind of see Donald and Aaron's point of views.

I've personally always felt like people, fans especially, take the WR's for granted.
I have a friend who always says "as long as we have 12, I like our chances".
Some truth to that, but give #12 Bill Schroeder, Terry Mickens, Sanjay Beach, as his starting receivers and I suspect Rodgers would look more Alex Smith like.

Hopefully this crap will rally/motivate the current troops from Rodgers down, and give them that us vs them edge.

I don't think half-thoughtful fans see it that way.

It's more like, "without 12 I don't like our chances".

Jennings is widely regarded as one of the best route runners in the league, assignment-sure and creative when he needs to be. Driver...his record through 2009 speaks for itself.

The fact that Jennings was able to land a national commercial deal off the SB performance, and the fact Driver was able to land the dancing gig on a highly rated show, indicates these guys had national recognition.

Then we have this:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

H

HardRightEdge

OK, I found a way to get to the link.

"The Packers and Woodson did not seriously discuss a restructured contract. When asked if a pay cut was a possibility with Woodson, Poston said that "I think we're just going in different directions."

That says he was not offered a pay cut, like I said, and confirms that Woodson was "fired". If one chooses to think calling out the coaches was not a factor, I think that might be naive.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I found a way to get to the link.

"The Packers and Woodson did not seriously discuss a restructured contract. When asked if a pay cut was a possibility with Woodson, Poston said that "I think we're just going in different directions."

That says he was not offered a pay cut, like I said, and confirms that Woodson was "fired". If one chooses to think calling out the coaches was not a factor, I think that might be naive.

Then I am naive. One year to soon rather than one year to late

But we will never know the truth

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can Woodson, who didn't sit in on receiver/QB meetings, speak about this topic. Don't get me wrong,I love the fact that he's speaking up in support of the Packers but let's not just assume that Woodson is correct because he's saying things that fans want to hear.

For me, two receivers speaking about Rodgers, one of whom was a model Packer during and after his career, has to mean there's some truth in there somewhere. The real question should be how much and what can the current players do to make sure it's not a problem/concern going forward.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
How can Woodson, who didn't sit in on receiver/QB meetings, speak about this topic. Don't get me wrong,I love the fact that he's speaking up in support of the Packers but let's not just assume that Woodson is correct because he's saying things that fans want to hear.

For me, two receivers speaking about Rodgers, one of whom was a model Packer during and after his career, has to mean there's some truth in there somewhere. The real question should be how much and what can the current players do to make sure it's not a problem/concern going forward.

James Jones aid nothing wrong with Rodgers..AJ Hawk too

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts