Jordy Nelson injury

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching and listening to Rodgers since he became the starter I don't have any question receivers have to earn his trust. One of the reasons he is so good is he hates mental errors and in the Packers offense, he and the receivers have to be on the same page from pre-snap throughout the play. They have to be in sync as they adjust to what the defense is doing post-snap. Of course he'll throw to a wide open receiver - remember on Cobb's first TD from scrimmage he ran the wrong route and Rodgers still hit him in stride for a TD.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Here's another (of many) examples of Rodgers talking about the burden on young receivers to know what they're doing.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/307051341.html That was from June of this year. And here's a quote from Bennett yesterday:
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...rs/2015/08/26/packers-training-camp/32453837/
Yeah I think he may be the most selective QB in the NFL and that's why he has the incredible TD/pic ratio and QB rating, lifetime QB rating. And yeah the majority of the pics last year were deflections. I mean it's stunning to me that he throws so few pics. Certainly wasn't one of #4's strengths.....

So these next 2 weeks become even more important. I am no Tom Brady fan, but he has worked with less than stellar wideout talent and made it work. That's what Rodgers is going to need to do.

I'm curious, how do you feel about bringing Jones back? My feeling is that he could help in the red zone, but I'm on the fence as to whether bringing him in is a good idea.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you could argue that, but with White i see someone that just doesn't have it to be any better than he is. Even with other guys, though it may have taken them a few years to get where they were, like a Driver, i don't see any of that in White. I've seen zero flashes and almost every opportunity to "flash" has been squandered. Whereas Janis has "flashed", but then does not have the consistency and from accounts he's still making the same mistakes as before. I think Janis can be kept around for a limited role that utilizes his skill set, but i wonder if he has it upstairs to become that consistent WR we need. He might, he's going to get the opportunities now. Put up or shut up time
Agree on White. We've seen everything he has to offer, not much. Janis has the right physical qualities, but that won't help if he can't click with Rodgers.

Ultimately making up for the loss of Jordy will be with Rodgers. Brady is very good at turning lemons into lemonade, and Rodgers has to do the same. Clearly the receivers have to do their part, but Rodgers has the most talent to make this work.

OP
OP
TJV

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
White had a pretty good preseason in 2013.

Last edited:

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I`d like Jones back myself, but that might not be a good thing for the team in the long run.
I think Jones could help in the red zone. He plays more like TE. I'm still on the fence about bringing him back. Maybe for one year, especially with White not stepping up. As for Janis, he's got the physical measurables. Just hope he gets to work on chemistry with #12. As others have said, Rodgers has to trust you to even look your way. The loss of Jordy is big, but not as big as it could have been considering the other talent.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
White had a pretty good preseason in 2013 - he was second on the team in receptions and yards but I wouldn't say he flashed. And he has one more year in the system than Janis so he should know the offense better. To date I agree with those like Michael Rodney of Packers Notes who see him as someone who excels more at practice than in games.

http://packersnotes.com/2015/08/tough-choices-at-receiver/
Are any of the other WR candidates doing anything to earn a spot ahead of White? Or at a minimum is there any real potential behind White?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jordy injury will have a lot of nasty repercussions. Teams will just double Cobb and dare Adama and the TE's to beat them. If the Packets are going to run their standard 3 WR sets then someone will have to step up whether it's White, Janis or Montgomery. All 3 are basically rookies since White and Janis have played so little. Another huge impact may be another serious injury to Rodgers. When guys are covered he either holds onto the ball or scrambles both options greatly heighten the chances of injury. The Packers couldn't beat Seattle with Nelson do their odds increase without him. Hard to make that argument without a ton of wishful thinking. Other than losing Rodgers or Mathews, losing Nelson was about as bad as it gets

1940sfootball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course Rodgers targets a wide open receiver but a lot of times he has to throw a WR open. That only works when both are exactly on the same page though.

BTW four of the five interceptions Rodgers threw last year were deflectrd by one of the Packers receivers. I guarantee that he doesn't want that to happen.

There is no special skill that is throwing a receiver open. It doesn't exist. You either get lucky with an over throw that a receiver caught up to, to make you look good or you dont.
It's just stupid slang they use on tv.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no special skill that is throwing a receiver open. It doesn't exist. You either get lucky with an over throw that a receiver caught up to, to make you look good or you dont.
It's just stupid slang they use on tv.
i'd have to disagree completely. There are accurate qb's and others that aren't. putting a ball consistently where your receiver can get it, is not stupid slang, and it most definitely is a skill. and if you aren't on the same page as your receivers the back shoulder throw they made famous doesn't happen. It doesn't happen by dumb luck. throwing to the dead spot in a zone or seeing the defender coming crashing in and leading the receiver out of the zone aren't just done by happenstance or just for the heck of it. putting a ball high and outside or low and inside depending on where the defender is, is most definitely a skill and if you don't trust your receivers to be there or run thru the zone, or stop on the back shoulder, or sit in a zone, cut off a route, continue it thru, etc they aren't getting looks.

1940sfootball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'd have to disagree completely. There are accurate qb's and others that aren't. putting a ball consistently where your receiver can get it, is not stupid slang, and it most definitely is a skill. and if you aren't on the same page as your receivers the back shoulder throw they made famous doesn't happen. It doesn't happen by dumb luck. throwing to the dead spot in a zone or seeing the defender coming crashing in and leading the receiver out of the zone aren't just done by happenstance or just for the heck of it. putting a ball high and outside or low and inside depending on where the defender is, is most definitely a skill and if you don't trust your receivers to be there or run thru the zone, or stop on the back shoulder, or sit in a zone, cut off a route, continue it thru, etc they aren't getting looks.

None of what you described has anything to do with any special skill that could be called throwing a receiver open. What you described has the receiver doing all the work because the qb over through it on purpose. It's called a purposeful bad throw,that's not a special skill . A so called back shoulder throw is not a special skill either. Anyone can do that with any amount of practice.
I'm not being combative. I'm just of the view that jocks are just jocks. They throw and they catch and tv has to make it really intriguing with overblown terms but we all played sports. It's not that hard. Sure some guys have great physical abilities but it doesn't make this some mythical crap.
No qb has the ability to place a ball exactly how he or a receiver wants it beyond a 10 yrd throw. It's foolish to believe otherwise. The receiver has to do most of the work. You should be able to recall your own personal experience to understand that

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right it's not mythical, it's called accuracy. It's called knowing a receiver is going to break before they break. It's called stopping a receiver in a zone because you see it's not going to be open if they continue the pattern.

It's obviously takes practice and 2 to tango, but to say anyone can do it with practice? You're funny.

OP
OP
TJV

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It's called a purposeful bad throw,that's not a special skill.
A “purposeful bad throw”? Why would a QB purposefully make a bad throw except to throw the ball away?

Last edited:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet we see some conflict with him and a WR at some point this season... Arods expectations are pretty high for them

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are any of the other WR candidates doing anything to earn a spot ahead of White? Or at a minimum is there any real potential behind White?

They just signed another rookie wr this afternoon, so it looks like the next two weeks will be testing the wr and seeing who plays well and who can click with Rodgers.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Suggesting that it takes no special skill to play QB in the NFL, beyond sandlot or high school is, at best naive. At worst? Well I won't go there I'm already too mouthy. People can believe whatever they want, like Creationism is a fact while Darwin's explanation of evolution is a theory. At some point ya just need to leave these "debates" and maintain some dignity. I'm at that point on the question of whether or not it takes unique athleticism and intelligence to succeed as an NFL QB. It does. ARod goes well beyond that. In all sincerity and as an ultimate compliment, Rodgers is a freak of nature in both talent and work ethic.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am no Tom Brady fan, but he has worked with less than stellar wideout talent and made it work.

While Brady has had less than stellar wide receivers to throw to over the last five seasons people tend to forget that having the best tight end in the game helps out a lot.

It seems like Larry Pinkard and Ed Williams (at least according to Bob McGinn) have been the best receivers out of the undrafted ones. Both are a long shot to make the team though.

H

HardRightEdge

While Brady has had less than stellar wide receivers to throw to over the last five seasons people tend to forget that having the best tight end in the game helps out a lot.
...and having the guy who redefined the slot receiver position.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

White had a pretty good preseason in 2013 - he was second on the team in receptions and yards but I wouldn't say he flashed. And he has one more year in the system than Janis so he should know the offense better. To date I agree with those like Michael Rodney of Packers Notes who see him as someone who excels more at practice than in games.

http://packersnotes.com/2015/08/tough-choices-at-receiver/
His best fit looks to be out of the slot.

H

HardRightEdge

None of what you described has anything to do with any special skill that could be called throwing a receiver open. What you described has the receiver doing all the work because the qb over through it on purpose. It's called a purposeful bad throw,that's not a special skill . A so called back shoulder throw is not a special skill either. Anyone can do that with any amount of practice.
I'm not being combative. I'm just of the view that jocks are just jocks. They throw and they catch and tv has to make it really intriguing with overblown terms but we all played sports. It's not that hard. Sure some guys have great physical abilities but it doesn't make this some mythical crap.
No qb has the ability to place a ball exactly how he or a receiver wants it beyond a 10 yrd throw. It's foolish to believe otherwise. The receiver has to do most of the work. You should be able to recall your own personal experience to understand that
You are correct that there is no "throwing the receiver open" on a certain percentage of throws. The QB works his progression or bails out of the pocket, a receiver breaks and gets separation, the QB sees him and throws him the ball. Or the QB throws a check-down to a guy sitting down in a zone seam. Simple.

Then there are all of the other throws.

Certainly receivers need to be able to adjust to a ball that may be thrown to a place where they may not have expected it to be. To think those throws are accidental would be correct in some cases; to think they are accidental in all cases is a mistake.

As for jocks being jocks, you may be of the mistaken opinion that "instinctual" play is innate and not the product of practice, learned behaviors and design. Your reading assignment, should you choose to accept it, is Malcolm Gladwell's "Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking".

Your contention that "no QB has the ability to place a ball exactly how he or the receiver wants it beyond a 10 yd. throw" is true if you mean "every time", but it's a game of percentages making your assertion clearly an exaggeration, and the extent to which your assertion is true argues for the importance of "throwing the receiver open" as much as against it.

Then there's the question, "what is accuracy?" Is it the ability to put the ball where the receiver can catch it? Surely. However accuracy is as much about putting the ball where the defender cannot. The consideration of completion percentage together with interception rate goes largely to the ability to "throw a receiver open".

There are subtleties involved in the process that, when accumulated, differentiate poor-to-mediocre play from outstanding play.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Yep, a top 10 or better D along with a top notch OL and love hate him or hate him, the best HC/de facto GM in the league.
Personally, I respect him a lot more for what he accomplishes than I dislike him for his transgressions which, in the final analysis, are relatively minor.

OP
OP
TJV

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Personally, I respect him a lot more for what he accomplishes than I dislike him for his transgressions which, in the final analysis, are relatively minor.
So do I, the cross-out was reflecting (with humor intended) the sentiment of some/many here. BTW and completely off topic (although we were already there) from what he's said Belichick sincerely respects McCarthy as a HC.

Members online

Latest posts