Jordy Nelson injury

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree but i dont think hoping for or expecting 30 catches from Montgomery is that unrealistic if he's the #3 WR. And I wasn't even high on him during the draft.

The again 25 catches might be more probable with the added balls that will go Lacy and R. Rodgers way

The #3 receiver has to at least have 30 receptions if the Packers want to somehow compensate for the loss of Nelson. I'm not convinced any of the guys currently competing for that spot are capable of it though.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, after listing all the reasons for not getting too excited about Montgomery and Janis I have a hard time understanding why you are against bringing James Jones back.
I'm on the fence with Jones. I wouldn't be disappointed if he came back. I think he could really help in the red zone. I guess it's just his age that worries me. I posted elsewhere this is a grey area. And believe me it's hard because I am not a Myles White fan. So while I would be surprised if TT brought him back, I certainly wouldn't see it as a bad move. I think you may have said it, he knows the system and has playing time with ARod so it's certainly not a detrimental move.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Furthermore Rodgers doesn´t target inexperienced wide receivers a whole lot because he doesn´t trust them so expecting them to put up numbers even close to Beckham, Benjamin or Evans is completely unrealistic.

Hes going to have to have trust now. Otherwise, hes going to bottleneck our entire offense by just throwing to Cobb, Rodgers and Adams.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm on the fence with Jones. I wouldn't be disappointed if he came back. I think he could really help in the red zone. I guess it's just his age that worries me.

Jones is only a year older than Nelson. There were several receivers 31+ years old who produced good numbers in the league last year.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The #3 receiver has to at least have 30 receptions if the Packers want to somehow compensate for the loss of Nelson. I'm not convinced any of the guys currently competing for that spot are capable of it though.
Well this illustrates how important Nelson is/was. If he had played, it's pretty easy to see Adams getting 30 plus receptions. Someone else will be #3, and I don't know if there is a guy on the roster who can do that this year. You may have just convinced me that bringing Jones back at #3 is a good idea. How was his production when he was here? Age aside, I could see Jones making 30 catches at #3. Anyway, good point.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hes going to have to have trust now. Otherwise, hes going to bottleneck our entire offense by just throwing to Cobb, Rodgers and Adams.

He won't trust any of the receivers because he has to. They will have to earn it for him to throw their way.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Jones is only a year older than Nelson. There were several receivers 31+ years old who produced good numbers in the league last year.

I`d like Jones back myself, but that might not be a good thing for the team in the long run.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Maybe its Richard Rodgers. Hes a TE...but in my opinion hes capable of a 40-50 catch type year.

D

Deleted member 6794

You may have just convinced me that bringing Jones back at #3 is a good idea. How was his production when he was here? Age aside, I could see Jones making 30 catches at #3. Anyway, good point.

Jones had 310 receptions for 4,305 yards (13.9 avg.) and 37 TDs in seven seasons with the Packers. He led the league in TDs (14) in 2012.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy had 42 catches last season so expecting him to get 50 this year is realistic. It seems Rodgers has taken a step so he could double his total from 2014. But I think a lot of posters here are way too optimistic about the production out of Montgomery and Janis.

Rodgers doesn´t target inexperienced receivers he doesn´t trust a ton of times and as I´ve mentioned before only Adams, Nelson and Cobb have made more than 10 receptions or 100 receiving yards during their rookie seasons. And all of them were better receivers coming out of college than the current ones behing Cobb and Adams on the depth chart.

Well, he's had that luxury in the past. He's always had veteran receivers. Greg Jennings and Donald Driver when he came into the league, and by the time Cobb was drafted we already had a deep corps with Jones and Nelson in there as well. But by his 2nd season Cobb was targeted over 100 times while veteran Driver was buried on the depth chart. Finley also received a significant amount of attention from Rodgers as a young player. So I think the lack of targets for young players has as much to do with circumstance as him not trusting them.

It's true that rookie WRs have rarely produced in the Rodgers era but again they've always had the luxury of sitting behind established guys, and we haven't ever drafted a bona-fide can't miss instant starter 1st round guy like a Beckham, Watkins, Julio, Evans, etc. Obviously Rodgers was frustrated to lose Nelson, and its certainly possible that Cobb and Adams will get the lions share of targets now but I haven't seen anything that Rodgers has said to make us think that he will be reluctant to rely on guys like Montgomery or Janis if forced to.

OP
OP
TJV

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It's just a TC practice, but Montgomery got the first chance to replace Adams.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I`d like Jones back myself, but that might not be a good thing for the team in the long run.

It might hinder the development of some of the young receivers but I don't think it's optimal to have them play a ton of snaps if they aren't ready either.

Maybe its Richard Rodgers. Hes a TE...but in my opinion hes capable of a 40-50 catch type year.

The Packers would still need another receiver to make at least 30 catches though.

Obviously Rodgers was frustrated to lose Nelson, and its certainly possible that Cobb and Adams will get the lions share of targets now but I haven't seen anything that Rodgers has said to make us think that he will be reluctant to rely on guys like Montgomery or Janis if forced to.

You're absolutely right that the Packers always had a beteran receiving core so there was no reason to play rookies extensively. Rodgers has repeatedly praised Montgomery during the offseason so maybe he will trust him. Haven't heard him talk about Janis the same way though.

D

Deleted member 6794

And if they trade for him, they would inherit the one-year $950K deal he signed with the Giants (according to rotoworld).

The cap hit for Jones would only be $665,000 because of the veteran salary exemption. The Packers will save $500K innroster bonuses by putting Nlson on IR, so bringing in Jones wouldn't result in a significant cap hit.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see a young receiver that Jones would impact on this team though. I don't think Janis or White are ever going to be "it" or even close. I think they are guys you have simply because you have don't have any better at the moment. I don't think Janis has it upstairs, and I just don't think White is anything above a PS level player. I think Janis can be good on special teams coverage maybe and in a minimal role on offense because of his speed, but I don't ever see him being a reliable receiver and comments made by everyone from coaches to players to the qb lead me to believe that. Maybe I read too much between the lines, or maybe i'm right.

I think Adams is going to be used a lot and Cobb obviously and this was regardless to Jordy's status. Adams is up and coming and is going to be given opportunities because he's earned them. I don't see Jones taking any of that away. Montgomery might be hindered a bit by Jones, but I think they're different type receivers so i'm not sure how much he would be hurt. I don't see of the other young guys really ever being anything more than what they are now and that's a border line PS player. I'm not in a real hurry to give those guys more playing time when it counts.

I guess we'll find out over the next few weeks.

1940sfootball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He won't trust any of the receivers because he has to. They will have to earn it for him to throw their way.

That's all media rhetoric and bull. They just throw at what ever yellow helmet is open. They don't play favorites to cost a team success

1940sfootball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummm I don't think Rodgers has the TD/pic ratio he has because he "throws to any yellow helmet that is open".

That's exactly why he has it. You don't cherry pick favorites, You react and execute. The whole point is find the open guy and throw it. Some guys drop more.Thats just life.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's exactly why he has it. You don't cherry pick favorites, You react and execute. The whole point is find the open guy and throw it. Some guys drop more.Thats just life.
Well I think Rodgers is very selective. But if you're saying he's careful to make sure that yellow helmet has an excellent chance to make the catch them I do agree. Tom Brady has been working with a revolving door of receivers for years. The great QBs find open receivers. Rodgers is a great QB. And that's why I think GB will be fine this year. Jordy will be missed, but with #12 there's no reason to panic.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's all media rhetoric and bull. They just throw at what ever yellow helmet is open. They don't play favorites to cost a team success

Rodgers, not the media, has repeatedly said that he needs to trust a receiver to target him. Here's what he had to say about his interceptions during the early stages of camp:

“That’s what camp is all about, sorting those things out,” Rodgers said on Thursday. “Seeing who’s going to be sticking around for the season and who’s going to be looking for a job. You have to show it in practice in order for me to feel comfortable making those throws in the games."

D

Deleted member 6794

Ummm I don't think Rodgers has the TD/pic ratio he has because he "throws to any yellow helmet that is open".

The whole point is find the open guy and throw it. Some guys drop more.Thats just life.

Of course Rodgers targets a wide open receiver but a lot of times he has to throw a WR open. That only works when both are exactly on the same page though.

BTW four of the five interceptions Rodgers threw last year were deflectrd by one of the Packers receivers. I guarantee that he doesn't want that to happen.

OP
OP
TJV

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
After watching and listening to Rodgers since he became the starter I don't have any question receivers have to earn his trust.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see a young receiver that Jones would impact on this team though. I don't think Janis or White are ever going to be "it" or even close. I think they are guys you have simply because you have don't have any better at the moment. I don't think Janis has it upstairs, and I just don't think White is anything above a PS level player. I think Janis can be good on special teams coverage maybe and in a minimal role on offense because of his speed, but I don't ever see him being a reliable receiver and comments made by everyone from coaches to players to the qb lead me to believe that. Maybe I read too much between the lines, or maybe i'm right.

I think Adams is going to be used a lot and Cobb obviously and this was regardless to Jordy's status. Adams is up and coming and is going to be given opportunities because he's earned them. I don't see Jones taking any of that away. Montgomery might be hindered a bit by Jones, but I think they're different type receivers so i'm not sure how much he would be hurt. I don't see of the other young guys really ever being anything more than what they are now and that's a border line PS player. I'm not in a real hurry to give those guys more playing time when it counts.

I guess we'll find out over the next few weeks.
I think both White and Janis are still in the stage of learning their craft and are being coached on a daily basis to become a useful and successful part of the offense. At this point in time, all of our receivers fall into this category. Until they come around, we may see more dump off passes to the RB's than we are accustomed to seeing.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
add me to the list of guys that has heard enough from Rodgers himself, that guys NEED to know where to be, when to be there, how to adjust and can be counted on to do the right thing in practice, before they're going to see much go their way in a game.

and then you have the other receivers and what they say, you have to be able to answer his questions about the offense and knowing what to do. This isn't a backyard offense they run

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think both White and Janis are still in the stage of learning their craft and are being coached on a daily basis to become a useful and successful part of the offense. At this point in time, all of our receivers fall into this category. Until they come around, we may see more dump off passes to the RB's than we are accustomed to seeing.
you could argue that, but with White i see someone that just doesn't have it to be any better than he is. Even with other guys, though it may have taken them a few years to get where they were, like a Driver, i don't see any of that in White. I've seen zero flashes and almost every opportunity to "flash" has been squandered. Whereas Janis has "flashed", but then does not have the consistency and from accounts he's still making the same mistakes as before. I think Janis can be kept around for a limited role that utilizes his skill set, but i wonder if he has it upstairs to become that consistent WR we need. He might, he's going to get the opportunities now. Put up or shut up time

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts