Jones vs. Lattimore?

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it just me or has our defense gotten progressively worse since Brad Jones came back? While he was out I was watching the Packer games and was quite often seeing Lattimore all over the field, making plays and thinking to myself that he was doing pretty damn good. Since Jones came back I have seen him make a good play once and have not seen Lattimore do anything (he played a total of 9 snaps last week).

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the bad defense is all Jones' fault but the defense has taken a turn for the worse since he came back and now I see neither him nor Lattimore making plays any more when prior to his return, Lattimore was making play quite often. Coincidence?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That "you don't lose your job to an injury" and lattimore is needed on special teams crap.......is just that...crap.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Completely agree. Lattimore was all over the field when he was in there. And, more importantly, he attacked instead of waiting for the play to come to him. He got exposed a couple plays doing that. But, more often than not, he was making the right fills and was a sure tackler. I'd much rather go through the growing pains associated with Lattimore than having Jones - a solid, unspectacular player - in there.

Churd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lattimore has potential to be a difference maker with more experience. Jones is one of those solid role players who would be better as a back up. I say put Lattimore in there and let him develop.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones was playing pretty well before his injury but since he has come back he doesn't seem the same. He needs to get it back or put Lattimore in there.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mentioned this type of thing weeks ago in another thread! Lattimore is making plays and we lack a playmaker right now. Jones is slow and so is Hawk. When you have two slow middle lb's then don't expect to many splash plays from either one. Jones is injury prone anyways. He started off hot but is fizzling out..move him to special teams and let Lattimore play! this sorry freakin defense needs some fire and some ppl to play with desire and urgency instead of having the same excuse over and over. Rodgers is the leader of the offense an Matthews is the leader of the defense but both are hurt right now and the team looks terrible especially the defense. Can anybody else make a game changing play on this defense geeze..i really miss Charles Woodson he could make a play and he was a leader. That's missing.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Brad jones is an over paid turd. Lattimore earned that spot imo.

Roddell, you can say what you want about Hawk, but he is the only consistant D player we have and he has stepped it up for the past 2 years now.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brad jones is an over paid turd. Lattimore earned that spot imo.

Roddell, you can say what you want about Hawk, but he is the only consistant D player we have and he has stepped it up for the past 2 years now.

what are you talking about? i like Hawk..he's an Ohio State alum and Ohio boy like myself. Just because i say he's slow of foot doesn't mean i don't like him. I've praised the way he's been playing this year but he's not a lb'r who consistently has the impact play and neither is Jones, that's the issue.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
what are you talking about? i like Hawk..he's an Ohio State alum and Ohio boy like myself. Just because i say he's slow of foot doesn't mean i don't like him. I've praised the way he's been playing this year but he's not a lb'r who consistently has the impact play and neither is Jones, that's the issue.

If you like him so much, why have you dissed him so much? That wasnt the first time man. Hawk has more of an impact than you know of, try focusing on him and you will see. He may not be the fastest guy out there, but you can't have some type of super man package of a player and have all the speed,strength, smarts, cover skills, run stopper, mad tackler all in one guy. He does an above average job, stops the run well, is a good tackler and calls out adjustments. He is a good mentor as well. His durability can NOT be called in to question. The guy has to much of a plus side than a down side. As of right now, he leads the team in tackles as well.....for the 2nd year in a row. Not to shabby. Right now he is playing above his pay grade and better than those being paid more for doing less and being a lame ducks....*cough* brad lame jones *cough*

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you like him so much, why have you dissed him so much? That wasnt the first time man. Hawk has more of an impact than you know of, try focusing on him and you will see. He may not be the fastest guy out there, but you can't have some type of super man package of a player and have all the speed,strength, smarts, cover skills, run stopper, mad tackler all in one guy. He does an above average job, stops the run well, is a good tackler and calls out adjustments. He is a good mentor as well. His durability can NOT be called in to question. The guy has to much of a plus side than a down side. As of right now, he leads the team in tackles as well.....for the 2nd year in a row. Not to shabby. Right now he is playing above his pay grade and better than those being paid more for doing less and being a lame ducks....*cough* brad lame jones *cough*

Can't argue with that sir.

H

HardRightEdge

Were we not at least a little surprised by that Jones contract?

When you're paying an ILB $4.3 mil for the season, including the signing bonus, you can bet he's going to play. It's practically a law in the NFL that guys who are getting paid, are not injured, and do not exhibit behavioral problems will see the field.

Jones isn't a bad player, sometimes he's a good player, but he was overpaid when he signed that deal and he's overpaid now.

Is it possible management bought into the Pro Football Focus grade?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Were we not at least a little surprised by that Jones contract?

When you're paying an ILB $4.3 mil for the season, including the signing bonus, you can bet he's going to play. It's practically a law in the NFL that guys who are getting paid, are not injured, and do not exhibit behavioral problems will see the field.

Jones isn't a bad player, sometimes he's a good player, but he was overpaid when he signed that deal and he's overpaid now.

Is it possible management bought into the Pro Football Focus grade?

Nope i don't. It was TT being TT..overpaying for "his guy's" and not spending really anything in Free agency. He prides himself in being able to say that 98% of the guy's on the roster have never played for another team and he drafted a bunch of them or signed some undrafted rookie...which is all good..except for when you start overpaying for guy's because they are your guy's that irks me.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope i don't. It was TT being TT..overpaying for "his guy's" and not spending really anything in Free agency. He prides himself in being able to say that 98% of the guy's on the roster have never played for another team and he drafted a bunch of them or signed some undrafted rookie...which is all good..except for when you start overpaying for guy's because they are your guy's that irks me.
You've made good points, but it should all be within the context of "every GM overpays for somebody." On the good side, at least TT wasn't overpaying for a complete bust at extraordinary FA rates. He overpaid for a homegrown linebacker that isn't going to kill the cap. Clearly it wasn't a good move but it isn't the type of team-killing move that so many GMs seem to make these days.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You've made good points, but it should all be within the context of "every GM overpays for somebody." On the good side, at least TT wasn't overpaying for a complete bust at extraordinary FA rates. He overpaid for a homegrown linebacker that isn't going to kill the cap. Clearly it wasn't a good move but it isn't the type of team-killing move that so many GMs seem to make these days.

True. The money spent on Jones could have been used for sombody who was less injury prone and uhh BETTER.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most were surprised by Jones' contract as HRE mentioned. Let's be honest though, up until Jones' injury most were talking about how surprisingly well Jones was playing, essentially validating the contract. Then he got hurt, Lattimore outplayed him, and he hasn't been the same since. Now everyone is dogpiling and saying that they could have "bought" better in the FA market. You'd all be saying the same thing if that "better" FA player got the same injury as Jones and struggled. I believe the comments would go along the lines of TT doing FA on the cheap, etc...

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True. The money spent on Jones could have been used for sombody who was less injury prone and uhh BETTER.

Do you EVER stop complaining? Maybe the moment you pause to clean off your 20/20 hindsight glasses? Geez.

Anyway people, remember how well Jones played early in the year before he got injured? It's not like he was some garbage player who had no right to be out there. I bet that if someone looked back at the threads moaning and whining about losing Des Bishop they'd see a lot of the guys in this thread bashing Jones, and then when it was clear Bishop wasn't going to do much even for the vikes they said what a great call TT had made.

As for Lattimore, I wish we could all see what was going on in practice every day. I also wish that we knew half as much as the coaches do about what they want an ILB to do on every play. Football is something that we all enjoy and like to fixate on, but they do it for a living and their jobs are on the line for the decisions they make. Any argument that you come up with that ends with them not knowing what to do or not caring if they succeed or not is just total BS and you should know that by now. If they thought Lattimore gave them a better chance to win the game (not one play here or there, not just defense etc etc), they'd be playing him. They care 100% more about their success and the raise it will get them down the road than they do about Brad Jones' ego or putting one of "TT's guys" out there or some other crap.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you EVER stop complaining? Maybe the moment you pause to clean off your 20/20 hindsight glasses? Geez.

Anyway people, remember how well Jones played early in the year before he got injured? It's not like he was some garbage player who had no right to be out there. I bet that if someone looked back at the threads moaning and whining about losing Des Bishop they'd see a lot of the guys in this thread bashing Jones, and then when it was clear Bishop wasn't going to do much even for the vikes they said what a great call TT had made.

As for Lattimore, I wish we could all see what was going on in practice every day. I also wish that we knew half as much as the coaches do about what they want an ILB to do on every play. Football is something that we all enjoy and like to fixate on, but they do it for a living and their jobs are on the line for the decisions they make. Any argument that you come up with that ends with them not knowing what to do or not caring if they succeed or not is just total BS and you should know that by now. If they thought Lattimore gave them a better chance to win the game (not one play here or there, not just defense etc etc), they'd be playing him. They care 100% more about their success and the raise it will get them down the road than they do about Brad Jones' ego or putting one of "TT's guys" out there or some other crap.

Nope..when we start winning again i will? . Im passionate about my Packers and i voice my frustrations..sue me ;)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Do you EVER stop complaining?
Some people are naturally more negative than others. Perhaps it’s a defense mechanism – if you don’t have high expectations you aren’t as hurt when the team fails.
- - - -
Less than one month ago rodell posted the following about Brad Jones:
OLB Matthews
ILB Hawk
ILB Jones
OLB Lattimore.

Don't know about you but i like the way that looks..just actually got the chills looking at that lineup. Add a healthy Perry to the mix and we could end up ranked 1st or at least on the top 5 in alot of Defensive categories by years end. Sacks could even be one.
… i never thought i would say this about Jones but even he was playing some good football before he got hurt. I'm with Guapo tho, i do understand a guy losing his job due to injury, especially if the guy that replaces you is playing at a high level. I kinda feel bad for Capers because he's the one who's gotta make the decision on keeping lattimore in? or Jones regaining his starting roll. My suggestion was giving Lattimore some looks on the outside.
Chills about a lineup with Jones starting at ILB and feeling bad for Capers having to decide between Jones and Lattimore puts a different spin on his opinion about Thompson overspending for "his" guys, particularly Jones. And no mention in those posts about Jones being injury-prone. Many of us questioned the contract Jones received but it is disingenuous at this point to pretend it did not appear Jones was doing well before the injury.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts